Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

World Cup 2022 Thread (Ole.... oleololeole...ole... ole...)

Fergasun

It should be noted pulisic finished the first half - bring on the field to see if he could go without substitution.  Now he’s in the hospital for whatever the injury is. 

all these other players act like a sniper took them out from the rafters, eventually some guy comes out and hits them with a can of spray paint and hop up and run off like a jackrabbit 

• Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Someone please tell me this is jus a joke and didn't really happen...

Thats soccer. I like watching but sucks the game can be so dependant on acting like that.

Not like flopping for a foul in the nba where you get 2 points in a 200 point game....but your acting skills actually determine who wins. ****ing Soccer

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, dunfer said:

Thats soccer. I like watching but sucks the game can be so dependant on acting like that.

Not like flopping for a foul in the nba where you get 2 points in a 200 point game....but your acting skills actually determine who wins. ****ing Soccer

Same dude, same.  I love the sport.  Played it year round, multiple teams simultaneously with travel, varsity, ODP, indoor, regionals, you name it.  Reffed weekends.  Coached kids.  Was always captain and generally best player on my team.  

I watch only international play because I hate the flopping and ties and can’t make it a regular thing.  ****, I remember playing a very heated game that ended 2-2.  I ran to the opposing sideline screaming at them to come back out and settle it on the field, refs or no refs.  Screaming….straight in their faces.  You name it, I said it lol.  My own team had to come over and pull me off lol.

Anyway, I’m just saying…the flopping and ties really ruin the spectator aspect of the sport IMO.

• Like 2

For those of you who are bigger soccer heads than I am...this is definitely the most talented team we've had right?  I remember watching people like McBride, Cobi Jones, Ramos, Dempsey, etc. in the past.  Maybe we don't have the finisher, but I don't remember seeing any US team before that has 

A) Frequently had 50% or better possession

B ) Controlled midfield the way they have.  In particular, I've seen numerous ping pong, back and forth, triangles, crisp passing that I don't remember before.

C) They seem faster than their opponents.  I know England has a reputation for being plodders, but we just seem fast.  I don't remember previous teams looking fast the way these guys do.

Am I seeing things?  If the Dutch are a slow team, maybe we can wear them out.  I don't know anything about them.

@Forehead

We made the quarterfinals in 2002 and R16 in 2010 and 2014, so I wouldn't say "best".   I have never seen so many USA team members in Europe.  The goal came from creators today... McKennie (Juventus), Dest (AC Milan and also Barcelona) and Pulicic (Chelsea).  Yes, they play in Europe, not MLS!  

Here is what popped out to me.  Looking at raw stats between 2014 and now.  Shots allowed.  We constantly got out shot in the World Cup in 2014.  Like a 2:1 margin.   Our last R16 game against Belgium in 2014, they outshot us 39 to 17. 

So defensive holding is a very different USMNT style than we are used to.  And I think all of our players are a level up than previous. Defensively, we haven't been scored on in free play.  Midfield has held and controlled the game.  Attacking has been a bit of a disappointment.  But I think this is a better way to win internationally.  

Re: Flopping

It's a little bit better with the implementation of VAR.  Can get all the clear and obvious mistakes out of the way. 

On to tomorrow's matches! 

Re: Early Games

France v. Tunisia 

Denmark v. Australia

France is in, guaranteed.  Oddly enough, Australia is in the driver's seat and Denmark need the win to advance.  Tunisia win would complicate things greatly.  Denmark would be one of the larger disappointments if knocked out.  

Re: Later Games

Argentina v. Poland

Saudi Arabia v. Mexico

Biggest game to watch. Argentina needs the win to advance.  Poland can tie (or win) and move on.  Saudi Arabia is also somewhat in control of their destiny.  Mexico needs to win and help to make up goal differential.. but they benefit if Poland wins.

I love the fact that in a lot of these matches one team will be trying for a goal from the start.  

• Like 1

It does make for some interesting games because both teams can't just sit back.  Of course, I think sitting back and playing D, especially if it is not your normal style rarely seems to work out.  It is hard to be a shooting gallery for 90 min. 

Oh we got some spicyness! Watching Denmark and Australia.  

Around minute 60... we were just informed that Tunisia has scored, meaning they would advance. Tunisia score against France.  Australia gets a breakaway against the run of play and somehow Australia gets enough space for a shot and he places it right in through the far post.

Lol... everyone does that for their country.

Aussies made it!  Denmark, so far is the biggest surprise team to get knocked out.  To be fair, the FIFA rankings are a bit garbage.

Everyone talking about USA having a chance against Netherlands.  Yes... any time you play, you have a chance to win.  The US does not have the international experience and quality of the Dutch side.  It is a good test for our team to see where they are at, but it would be an upset. 

On 11/29/2022 at 11:58 AM, Forehead said:

If this country ever decided to pour serious money into soccer, setting up camps and facilities everywhere, inner city and suburbs, I truly believe that we would dominate the sport on the world stage.  It'll never happen as long as it is sport number 4 or 5 in this country, but the sleeping giant potential is there.

I was speaking with a dude at my friend's wedding that is a HS coach in the area - he was talking about how schools like Bishop McNamara have found some inner city kids that are straight monsters on the soccer field. The athleticism usually reserved for basketball is now being transferred to the soccer fields since there are only so many football and basketball scholarships to go around, soccer is now becoming another avenue for kids to get to college.

16 hours ago, Forehead said:

For those of you who are bigger soccer heads than I am...this is definitely the most talented team we've had right?  I remember watching people like McBride, Cobi Jones, Ramos, Dempsey, etc. in the past.  Maybe we don't have the finisher, but I don't remember seeing any US team before that has 

A) Frequently had 50% or better possession

B ) Controlled midfield the way they have.  In particular, I've seen numerous ping pong, back and forth, triangles, crisp passing that I don't remember before.

C) They seem faster than their opponents.  I know England has a reputation for being plodders, but we just seem fast.  I don't remember previous teams looking fast the way these guys do.

Am I seeing things?  If the Dutch are a slow team, maybe we can wear them out.  I don't know anything about them.

Without question the most “talented” USMNT ever, and I don’t think it’s even close. This midfield has run rings around Wales, England, and Iran. But, good soccer teams are determined by more than pure talent. There needs to be the right mix of players, good cohesion amongst the group, and a manager who can take all the ingredients, and prepare a tasty meal.

This team is still very young and raw. Defensively they are a little thin, and offensively, I think they are still trying to find their best mix of players and set up. 

I think that in 2026, after this core group has gotten to play together for a long period of time, and gets interspersed with some more young talent, they could be primed to challenge on the highest international stage.

56 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I was speaking with a dude at my friend's wedding that is a HS coach in the area - he was talking about how schools like Bishop McNamara have found some inner city kids that are straight monsters on the soccer field. The athleticism usually reserved for basketball is now being transferred to the soccer fields since there are only so many football and basketball scholarships to go around, soccer is now becoming another avenue for kids to get to college.

This, imo, is due to the fact that for the past several years, kids have been able to get up weekend mornings, and watch European league games while they eat their cereal. Inner city parents are more aware now of soccer, and the amount of money available to professional players as well.

About 10-12 years ago, myself and two others attempted to put together a non-profit that would bring the game to inner city Charlotte kids on a regular basis. Our framework involved  an actual club, where these kids could play together, and against other local clubs. Put a lot of time, money, and effort into the project, but, life got in the way. Still regret not getting that completed.

Edited by Long n Left

1 hour ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

that’s good, but our NCAA and highschool systems aren’t going to produce pros like the farm systems they have everywhere else in the world.  Soccer stars are trained to be professionals by pro level coaches much earlier than American players.  We need MLS to start taking on 15-16 year olds and somehow still have them attend college.  How?  I have no idea, but that’s what’s needed for the US to start producing pros IMO.

Poland is currently advancing on “fair play points” if all things remains as they are currently.  Meaning the tie breaker is they have revived fewer yellow cards.    That’s a stupid tie breaker, but that’s what it is.  They’re exactly even with Mexico on all other tie breakers.

14 minutes ago, Destino said:

Poland is currently advancing on “fair play points” if all things remains as they are currently.  Meaning the tie breaker is they have revived fewer yellow cards.    That’s a stupid tie breaker, but that’s what it is.  They’re exactly even with Mexico on all other tie breakers.

What else do you suggest? Hottest female fans?

2474FA35-4A72-46FB-A50F-90E89BFBF888.jpeg

3E66B1B0-31A4-4762-96AC-1352182517AB.jpeg

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1