Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

5 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I’m focused on his time w/ the marlins because it’s my only personal experience with him at the helm of anything. It was a bad one. I can’t speak to what else he’s done with one of my teams, just that one. It’s not to say he’s hasn’t done good things outside of that. You’d be ok w/ him, that’s awesome, I’d prefer someone else is all.

I find him smug & pretentious albeit successful. And he did one of my teams poorly. I hear that Boston wouldn’t mind him moving on even after the success he’s had with them, that speaks to something about the guy imo. 

https://www.bostonherald.com/2022/03/05/obf-dear-john-henry-time-to-move-on-from-the-red-sox/amp/

I lived in South Florida then, not a Marlins fan but would go to games, even went to a WS game.

The team was losing money according to Huizenga (some challenged him on that) who tore apart the WS roster and burned it to the ground, they played in Dolphins stadiium which was a wretched baseball stadium and Huzenga couldn't get a new stadium and his compaint was they can't be successful without a new one.

Henry took over a sinking ship and actually helped set the groundwork to get the stadium and then basically bailed after three years  Yeah he didn't turn the scortched earth job that Huizienga did on the roster in fast order.   And stuck with the rebuild.  It wasn't hot for Henry in those three years but he inherited the problem versus caused the problem.  If people want to give him a hard time for bailing so fast on the Marlins, I get that but again that was eons ago, that was his first team.  He's done really well since.

As far as some Red Sox or Liverpool fans wanted him to go.  As @KDawg said, its rare for fans to love any owner.  And both teams have had GREAT runs, not good, but great.  But both teams are coming off rare down seasons.  Liverpool's season is ongoing, they are actually on the brink of coming back though.  Both teans won championships recently, too.  

Winning the World Series didn’t change the bottom line for Florida Marlin owner Wayne Huizenga. He announced Thursday he is close to selling the team to a group headed by team President Don Smiley.

The group--at least 25 investors--has 30 days to reach a sale agreement. The asking price for the team is said to be $150 million, and Smiley’s group reportedly has commitments for two-thirds of the money.

“We don’t want to sell the Marlins, but we feel we must in order to improve the chances of a new stadium being built,” Huizenga said.

“And unless a new stadium is built, where luxury suite and all other revenue go directly to the team, which will enable the team to compete for the best players, I do not believe the Marlins will ever be in a World Series again.”

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1997-nov-07-sp-51330-story.html

The promise under Henry's ownership of the Marlins was being followed through, and reached a peak, when John Henry was able to reach a stadium agreement with City of Miami officials that became the first major step in building the new Marlins stadium. This combined with a young team that was improving every season to make it a time for optimism for Marlins fans. However, it was an optimism that would be short-lived.

After many difficulties and setbacks to finalize an agreement for the new Marlins stadium, Henry decided to sell the team in a multi-franchise deal to Jeffrey Loria, the then owner of the Montreal Expos (now the Washington Nationals). 

https://www.fishstripes.com/2014/1/17/5317310/marlins-history-john-henry-becomes-the-marlins-owner

John Henry, baseball’s softly spoken money man

The Boston Red Sox owner has turned his team into perennial winners from serial losers

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I am far from married to Henry.  But the more I think about it, the more I think he has some irony in a good way to purchase this team.

I follow Liverpool closely, I live and die with their games almost as much as this team.  I get the angst of fans wanting to move on from Henry now.  I do, too but for the same reason many Liverpool fans want to which is they are tired of being outspent by City.  We want our own oil tycoon mega billionarie who can outspend the world -- that's not Henry.  But Henry has plenty of money to own an NFL franchise under a salary cap, especially post LFC sale which likely yields him over 4 billion.  

Liverpool's success and the Redsox's success isn't an opinion discussion.  It's 100% fact.  But THIS year both teams are on the downside and there obviously is some angst.  Just LAST year, the Sox were in the playoffs and Liverpool won 2 cups, and came just a point short of winning it all. 

Liverpool and the Redsox bitter grapes is of spolied children (and I get it i mean it with no angst) who have gotten their way so much that they are angry when its not all the time or they are upped in LFC's case by one rival too much for their liking.  But its the sports equivalent of rich men's problems.  Yeah 4 World Series in 15 years was fun but why are we rebuilding this year and watching the Yankees in the playoffs?  Or hey we won two cups, cool, but we still came a point short of winning the premier league and lose the European final to Real Madrid.

If our problems are Liverpool and the Red Sox problems, I'd love it, I'd be giddy.  I don't really mean that as a shot at either fan base.  I get it from my own perspective and can feel those same emotions.  As a Yankeee fan i got spoiled myself from the 1990s and I just expected continue excellence -- playoffs every year "meh" where is the new WS now?   Astros beat us again in the playoffs?

Liverpool, always relevant, always very good -- maybe a hiccup season this year but they seem to be coming back -- but don't like watching them lose multiple times in the European version of the SB to Real Madrid.  But my angst is based on high expectations.  Totally different feeling than what I have for this dumpster fire organization.  I don't expect LFC or Red Sox fans to relate to what we go through apples to apples because their emotions run in a totally differnt orbit.  If we start playing in that same orbit and are dissappponted that there is a hiccup or Henry reached a peak and is treading water -- cool then root to dump him then but for now we aren't on the same plane as either of those teams.   I'd kill for Liverpool and the Red Sox's success here and ditto their version of "problems". 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1318369/How-man-wants-revive-Liverpool-turned-fortunes-great-club-decline.html

How the man who wants to revive Liverpool turned around the fortunes of another great club in decline

The challenge for John William Henry II when he bought the Boston Red Sox in 2002 was rather more daunting than ending a 20-year wait for another league title.

For the Red Sox it was about lifting The Curse of The Bambino, which had long been cited by fans as the reason why the team had not won the World Series since 1918.

t dated back to when they sold Babe Ruth to the New York Yankees, with then owner of the Red Sox, impresario Harry Frazee, agreeing to the transfer to finance a Broadway Musical called No, No, Nanette.

The dates do not exactly match up but that is the legend, with Babe Ruth's departure certainly marking the end of a successful spell for the Red Sox and sparking a run of four World Series titles for the Yankees.

By the time Henry and his colleagues from New England Sports Ventures took over, having paid around £430million for the franchise, it was just like Liverpool is today. A once great club in a serious state of decline.

Henry, an Illinois-born businessman who began to build a personal fortune now standing at around £545m in the currency markets, did make some swift changes. Both the general manager and the manager were quickly dismissed.

But, as a source close to the ownership group explained to Sportsmail yesterday, they also employed a prudent business strategy that revived the franchise and delivered that elusive World Series title within two years - before winning it again in 2007.

There are so many similarities with Liverpool,' said the source. 'The history, the tradition. Not to mention the rivalry with the Yankees. It's just like Liverpool and Manchester United.

'And like Liverpool they were told they needed to build a new stadium when they bought the club. But what they did, instead, was take a look at things for themselves and then decide the best way forward.

'They will do exactly what they did at the Red Sox and take it one careful step at a time, but if Stanley Park is the way to go then that's what they will do. Because they are getting the club for the price they are, they will have money to invest.'

'They like some of the things that have been happening at the club. The Standard Chartered deal is good. Five years ago Liverpool had Joe's Bakery on the perimeter boards. So there are positives.'

Changes were made on the baseball side at the Red Sox but Henry and his associates will not breeze into Anfield shouting the odds when it comes to the football.

'You won't see Henry standing in the middle of the Anfield pitch wearing a Liverpool scarf, either,' said the source.

'They will simply provide the resources the manager needs to do his job. 

...And they recognise the importance of embracing the supporters. 'When the Red Sox won the World Series they took the trophy on a tour of every small town in New England,' he said. 'It was amazing. These guys are classy.'

A good deal classier than Hicks and Gillett, who even now are putting their personal greed before the football club they have taken to the brink of financial disaster.

Don Garber, commissioner of Major League Soccer in the US, spoke yesterday at the Leaders in Football conference at Stamford Bridge. He certainly believes Liverpool will be in safe hands if Henry and his associates take control.

'New England Sports Ventures have a tremendously realistic understanding of the sports business and an understanding of how to protect and enhance the legacy of a historical brand,' he said.

'That, in essence, is what they have done with the Red Sox. They are tremendously good professional sports team owners and I think it's a good thing to extend their reach beyond the US. When sitting at the table of pro sports in the United States I would be honoured to have John Henry as an owner. If you are a Red Sox fan you love these guys. There was apprehension at first but I would say it was completely unfounded.'

• Like 2

The problem with Henry isn't that he can't build a successful sports franchise - because he clearly can. It's that with him, it's all about the money. He sticks with something as long as it follows his financial projections, and once it fails to do so, he bails. With Liverpool, it's not about it being a down year after a successful rebuild, it's about the government blocking the plans to form a European Super League which would have made Henry huge amounts of money. With the Super League cash gone, he's selling up, whether Liverpool win or lose.

His interest in Washington is about how much money he can make, taking over a franchise that should be extremely lucrative in the hands of a competent owner, and getting said franchise at a bottom dollar price. If he takes over, we'll be better run and very likely more successful, but he won't be doing it for the love of the team, or the game, or even winning. It'll be about his bank balance.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

The problem with Henry isn't that he can't build a successful sports franchise - because he clearly can. It's that with him, it's all about the money. He sticks with something as long as it follows his financial projections, and once it fails to do so, he bails. With Liverpool, it's not about it being a down year after a successful rebuild, it's about the government blocking the plans to form a European Super League which would have made Henry huge amounts of money. With the Super League cash gone, he's selling up, whether Liverpool win or lose.

His interest in Washington is about how much money he can make, taking over a franchise that should be extremely lucrative in the hands of a competent owner, and getting said franchise at a bottom dollar price. If he takes over, we'll be better run and very likely more successful, but he won't be doing it for the love of the team, or the game, or even winning. It'll be about his bank balance.

I don’t care about his motivations. Just the results.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

Success will bleed money for him here. The new owner may actually form a bond with the team and the town after awhile. The number one thing should be the bank balance though. It's how he got where he is....

Uh, 0 promises were kept with the Marlins. When you buy something and 3 years later you split town it’s mission failed.  Let’s not go down that path.  No shame in failure, but, I’d

prefer someone else when framed as coming in after Snyder.  He seems like someone who will cut bait if it isn’t going well.  And this won’t be an easy job imo, just my impression which of course can be wrong. 

34 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Maybe it’s just me but I feel like Bezos is a foregone conclusion.

I don't feel that way because I think Dan wants to sell to somebody else.  

The question is, if Bezos offers him $250m more than anybody else, would he actually turn it down just to spite the NFL and Bezos?  I dunno.  He's an impulsive little prick.  Let's say Henry offers him 7B and Besoz offers $7.25  Or even $7.5.  To me and you, that extra $250m or $500m would be a no brainer.  But if you already have $7B (in addition to whatever he has from the residual $2B sale of Snyder communications), could he say, "that's enough, I prefer to give the middle finger to Bezos and the NFL and sell to somebody else?"  

I think he could.  

I'm not saying he would.  But I could see it.  Though BofA would throw a holy fit, and they would leak it immediately that Dan was being a piss-ant, because it would cut significantly into their commission.   

26 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Snyder is going to keep saying and leaking he hasn't decided what he wants to do, but my gut tells me that's much more of a PR stunt than it is anything else.  He doesn't want to look desperate. I kindof trust Glazer's reporting because he would not only have ins with the Commanders, but also the NFL, and could probably get BofA to spill the beans.  

A lot of these other sources seem like plants by the Snyders.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The question is, if Bezos offers him $250m more than anybody else, would he actually turn it down just to spite the NFL and Bezos?  I dunno.  He's an impulsive little prick.  Let's say Henry offers him 7B and Besoz offers $7.25  Or even $7.5.  To me and you, that extra $250m or $500m would be a no brainer.  But if you already have $7B (in addition to whatever he has from the residual $2B sale of Snyder communications), could he say, "that's enough, I prefer to give the middle finger to Bezos and the NFL and sell to somebody else?"  

I think he could.  

I'm not saying he would.  But I could see it.  Though BofA would throw a holy fit, and they would leak it immediately that Dan was being a piss-ant, because it would cut significantly into their commission.   

I don't disagree, but how much of the sale will be taxed? that could be another factor in favor of selecting the highest bidder. 

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think he could.  

It’s my understanding the league has to approve the buyer, whether that’s full or minority ownership.  They can play hardball if they want.  It could get real messy and knowing Dan, it most likely will.  He’s incredibly petty and I could see him taking a billion less from someone else just so Bezos can’t have it.  I just don’t think the league will make it that easy on him.

1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

Agree.

I would say I would take that right now. Henry and co will make money if they purchased the Commanders. It would be well run, if a little tight with the purse strings. Little to no drama and the focus on the field. Yes please.  In the EPL, it’s nearly impossible to make money. An increasing number of Americans are buying EPL or lower league sides because they see the income. I am surprised they don’t see the larger costs. Maybe they think the European super league is inevitable and want to get in early.

15 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It’s my understanding the league has to approve the buyer, whether that’s full or minority ownership.  They can play hardball if they want.  It could get real messy and knowing Dan, it most likely will.  He’s incredibly petty and I could see him taking a billion less from someone else just so Bezos can’t have it.  I just don’t think the league will make it that easy on him.

The problem with hardball is they don't have a stick.

NFL: "We won't approve the transaction. Please sell to Bezos."

Dan: "No way. I'll keep 100% ownership of the team and not sell. I dare you to vote me out.  I double dare you.  I double dare you with sugar on top, (bad word here), vote me out."
NFL: "Ok, ok, ok, whatever.  We approve.  Get out."

19 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I don't disagree, but how much of the sale will be taxed? that could be another factor in favor of selecting the highest bidder. 

Yeah, but that's almost a zero sum game because it's going to be taxed no matter who buys it.  The higher the price, the more the tax, sure, but you also get more because of the higher price.

And Billionaires have ways to protect as much of their money as they possibly can.

No doubt, Dan is going to owe a ton in taxes, but even if it was "you and me" taxes, it's capital gains, which is 20% of the gain.  

The team was valued at $800m when he bought it, though he didn't own 100% of it.  He now owns 100% of $7B (for example).  He's going to owe enough in taxes to buy a Destroyer for Ukraine when all is said and done, but I think that's going to happen regardless of who buys the team.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Dan: "No way. I'll keep 100% ownership of the team and not sell. I dare you to vote me out.  I double dare you.  I double dare you with sugar on top, (bad word here), vote me out."

I’m confused as to why you believe Dan has any leverage to threaten the league to vote him out?

He’s one tragic failure of a man against 31 other owners.  I could see the 31 other owners preferring it not get messy as they’d prefer the process be expedited and clean.  

But by no means is Dan operating from a position of leverage.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I’m focused on his time w/ the marlins because it’s my only personal experience with him at the helm of anything. It was a bad one. I can’t speak to what else he’s done with one of my teams, just that one. It’s not to say he’s hasn’t done good things outside of that. You’d be ok w/ him, that’s awesome, I’d prefer someone else is all.

I find him smug & pretentious albeit successful. And he did one of my teams poorly. I hear that Boston wouldn’t mind him moving on even after the success he’s had with them, that speaks to something about the guy imo. 

https://www.bostonherald.com/2022/03/05/obf-dear-john-henry-time-to-move-on-from-the-red-sox/amp/

As a Red Sox fan I visit several teams messageboards and Facebook pages.  The current reaction to John Henry is from fans still bitter that they traded Mookie Betts and appear to be letting Boegarts go over money. They were in love with him before that because of the success the team had once he took ownership.

As the article earlier explained they simply had to reset the luxury tax, and as I had posted before those long term maga-deals strangle the team in the later years of those deals.  I can't speak for the Marlins but that's the story out of Boston.  

• Like 2

Henry's first team, the Marlins he bailed after three seasons.  That was his first ownership over 20 years ago.   I haven't seen anyone define Henry based on that until reading some posting on this thread. Maybe 20 years ago but now?  It was eons ago and there was plenty of context behind that.    The much more current and apt look is the Red Sox and Liverpool -- both franchises IMO much more relevant and apples to apples to what he'd take on here.  Historic franchises on the decline who needed to be revitalized.  

He's owned Liverpool for 13 years, Red Sox I believe for like 22.

His worst crime that I think people wouldn't like about him is he does believe a team needs to reboot every now and then and rebuild.   Not often but on occasion.  Some here complain that Dan never buys into rebuildng.  But judging by some posts, I'd say a good 50% of the people here would love a rebuild and 50% would be irrate about it. 

He has flat out said he DOESN'T see buying a sports team as a pure business.  He's obsessed about building a killer FO and stays out of their way.  I saw someone here say smug.  I haven't seen that from him at all -- if anything he's usually a bit shy and sheepish publicly.  He has a young wife which comes off to me a bit odd in some of his public appearances -- young and old component.

The Boston Red Sox as I posted multiple times, had the highest payroll in the league multiple times.  Liverpool in the last 10 years was one of the top 12 spending teams in the world on soccer, yeah not enough to go tit for tat money wise with City but otherwise spent enough to create a consistent winner.

I am actually more concerned Bezos will be the penny pincher, Bezos has all the money in the world, but being a cheap dude has often followed as part of his rep.  Henry has retracted sometimes the spending in rebuilding years and as i mentioned relatively speaking he can't keep with the rich oil tycoons in the premier league but he's spent plenty enough to compete. 

The Sox had MLB's highest payroll last season of $228 million and consequently had to pay a $13.4 million luxury tax, well above what it cost the only other two teams that had to pay - the Cubs at $7.6M and Yankees at $6.7M. The Sox have paid more than $50M in luxury tax since the system began in 2003.

Sox principal owner John Henry told the Boston Globe's Dan Shaughnessy that the team is focused more on being competitive rather than getting under baseball's luxury tax - a.k.a. competitive balance tax - threshold of $208 million.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red-sox/john-henry-says-red-sox-focused-competitiveness-not-salary-cutting

On 11/10/2022 at 8:16 PM, mistertim said:

I don't care if it's Bezos who buys or Henry or the ghost of Bruce Lee (that would actually be awesome). I just want Dan OUT. He's steadily taken this franchise from the highest point into the gutter. For many years we could somewhat console ourselves by saying some franchise was worse than ours. The Raiders, the Browns, the Jets, whoever. But now we're absolutely bottom of the barrel. Dan just needs to GTFO. That's all I care about right now.

I am with you, however imagine getting another douchebag that purchases this team.  I, just like all of us, want Snyder gone.  There is doubting that.  I do not want to be so desperate to have a new owner just because his name would not be Dan Snyder.  The main reason we want a new owner is because the one we have at this time is a terrible as owner and worse  human being.  Thus, I do not want to fall in the trap that anyone is better then Dan. (Because that is not saying much)  You are more than likely correct, but I am hoping for a good owner.

Furthermore, I am not big on celebrities interested in this team.  Why you might ask?, after enduring Dan for all of these years, I want an owner who is invisible, which is to say; do what owners of good organizations do.  Take care of the new stadium and hire the right people and empower then to do their jobs.  Of course small percentages or minority stake holders are normal...but I just want quiet confident leadership.  JMO.

2 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Dan also still have this loan with the NFL too.

He's more greedy than anything else, so I believe he'll go with the highest bid and that'll be it.

Honestly, now I'm wondering how long before we hear about those bids.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

why do you think they wouldn't vote him out?