Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

5 minutes ago, dunfer said:

i think its the facilities that attract players. Yeah im not saying contracts are everything. Jerry splashes on the environment too

I don’t think anyone would disagree with that, that’s part of the misery of playing for us. Just the promise of having new facilities, excitement, and the stink-free aroma of a fresh start is going to be super appealing compared to where we’re at now. That alone will be huge for us. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am a 100% fanatic of course of this team but I am about 80% intensity give or take a Liverpool fan in comparison.  I catch every game, flew abroad to watch them live and will probably do so again this season.

So I followed them closely.  Henry took over Liverpool during a down period and after some initial ups and downs, quickly built a winner.  In the Premier League there is no cap, so some oil tycoons that own other teams, specifically Man City have an advantage over Liverpool but Liverpool has come close to keeping pace and won their first premier league after about a 30 year drought, similar to this team's draught.

He's a classy dude from what I can tell and he's smart.  He actually might be better than Bezos.  Bezos has some douche in him.  I've not seen any douche at all in Henry.  He comes off really classy and likeable. 

If you read from Red Sox fans they couldnt be more ready for him to sell. He is cheap beyond means with them letting all of their talent go when they reach FA and tend not to sign anyone.

Hes the one guy right now I want nothing to do with. 

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I feel like you're being a bit dehumanizing to players with some of these thoughts.

dehumanizing? its what all of us do. we strive for the most money  with the most benefits in our fields. All these guys accepted contracts knowing it was dan snyder..just saying they dont really have a choice. Some other guy will gladly take their place. You want to be a place where guys want to be....make it a place that wasnt built 30 years ago

6 minutes ago, dunfer said:

dehumanizing? its what all of us do. we strive for the most money  with the most benefits in our fields. All these guys accepted contracts knowing it was dan snyder..just saying they dont really have a choice. Some other guy will gladly take their place. You want to be a place where guys want to be....make it a place that wasnt built 30 years ago

Yes, dehumanizing. Basically saying nothing else matters as long as they get their money.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yes, dehumanizing. Basically saying nothing else matters as long as they get their money.

thats what working is for right? money. Dan still owns the team and everyone is playing this week. Hey if anyone wants to call attention to Dan, by all means strike

isnt going to change our season much

Edited by dunfer

I don't really want an owner who owns other teams in North America.   I don't want Bezos, plus Jay-Z is a Cowpuke fan.

I like the idea of the Clearlake Capital guys.  They bid on the 40% two years ago.    Include McConaughey, Durant, Dale Jr., etc....with them.

Byron Allen and Mat Ishbia would be solid as well.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dunfer said:

thats what working is for right? money. Dan still owns the team and everyone is playing this week. Hey if anyone wants to call attention to Dan, by all means strike

isnt going to change our season much

Work culture matters. It does for all of us, and it does for athletes as well. If you're in a ****ty toxic work culture then even if you're getting paid well you're going to be miserable. I know that from experience.

That's why it's dehumanizing. We all know that to be true, but you seem to be making a case for excluding professional athletes from that...because they get paid so much I guess?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Work culture matters. It does for all of us, and it does for athletes as well. If you're in a ****ty toxic work culture then even if you're getting paid well you're going to be miserable. I know that from experience.

That's why it's dehumanizing. We all know that to be true, but you seem to be making a case for excluding professional athletes from that...because they get paid so much I guess?

they do get paid alot, but i ave been posting about them needing a new environment. Not a culture( dallas's hottest star basically gang raped a guy and nobody cares) we need a stadium and facilities

1 hour ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I don't really want an owner who owns other teams in North America.   I don't want Bezos, plus Jay-Z is a Cowpuke fan.

I like the idea of the Clearlake Capital guys.  They bid on the 40% two years ago.    Include McConaughey, Durant, Dale Jr., etc....with them.

Byron Allen and Mat Ishbia would be solid as well.   

Outside of the Bezos group, Ishbia is my next favorite candidate. The guy is a former player of Tom Izzo’s and was a student coach for him. He has stated multiple times that he has modeled his leadership style after Izzo’s. My one worry is he is a bit younger so stuck with him longer if he sucks and his money comes from a volatile industry (mortgage lending)

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am a 100% fanatic of course of this team but I am about 80% intensity give or take a Liverpool fan in comparison.  I catch every game, flew abroad to watch them live and will probably do so again this season.

So I followed them closely.  Henry took over Liverpool during a down period and after some initial ups and downs, quickly built a winner.  In the Premier League there is no cap, so some oil tycoons that own other teams, specifically Man City have an advantage over Liverpool but Liverpool has come close to keeping pace and won their first premier league after about a 30 year drought, similar to this team's draught.

He's a classy dude from what I can tell and he's smart.  He actually might be better than Bezos.  Bezos has some douche in him.  I've not seen any douche at all in Henry.  He comes off really classy and likeable. 

I can’t comment on what Henry is like specifically, but what I would say is that the Liverpool fanbase over here are largely against the FSG ownership group. They are very happy that a potential sale is being talked about. That may have no relevance to this particular subject, but for information they generally aren’t viewed as good owners of Liverpool FC.

Back to the AG and this latest news you guys seem to think this is more significant than I do. Put me in the camp that sees this as grandstanding too. I just don't see how this is all that significant, and I sure don't see how even more bad news about Dan is a bad thing as far as getting him to leave.  As for Neil in Rockville he has always said Snyder stays, so there's that.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zim489 said:

If you read from Red Sox fans they couldnt be more ready for him to sell. He is cheap beyond means with them letting all of their talent go when they reach FA and tend not to sign anyone.

I am a Sox fan and addressed this earlier. Since he purchased the team 20 years ago the Red Sox have 4 rings, the Yankees have 1.  I think any Washington fan would take that. His recent decision to let go of star players is a reaction to the market today with huge long term deals the norm. Even a team with the budget of  Boston realizes the back end of those mega contracts puts a strangle hold on the team.  He is not getting cheap, they are being smart for the long term.  Something this team never has done under Snyder.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Zim489 said:

They won 4 World Series with him in 15 years he's awful.  Liverpool won the first premier championship in about 30 years and woin multiple international championships, its been really really bad.  As far as Redsox fans.  What Henry is doing now is rebuilding.  Same stuff you complain that Dan isn't interesting in doing.  At plenty other junctures in his tenure they spent big.

People here aren't going to convince me Henry sucks.  I've paid a lot more attention to him than the standfard person here.  I've watched him as a Yankee fan but much more so as a Liverpool fan, he often is at the Liverpool games.  GHH who used to be here, bigger Liverpool fan than me, I recall even joking once imagine if Dan took over Liverpool -- and that was during the phase of Henry bringing LFC back to glory so to speak and they were at a high.  Only weakness I see for Henry as an owner is while he spends big, heck they spent 100 million just to get one striker from another team to beef up their offense this off season -- but he's not so mega rich that he can compete with the oil tycoons who outspend him and everyone else -- no cap in the premier league.

I've been to Anfield, Liverpool stadium before and after he took over.  Major difference.  He's helped revive that team in a big way.  Their team store in that city is a mob scene.   They freaken have bus tours to take people around the city to check out sites relating to that team.  Tha brand is through the roof right now. 

The Redsox have always been stepkids of the Yankees.  But no more, after Henry took over.

If all that is "meh" to everyone.  Cool, the more people trash the idea, the more I actually like it because it forces me to think about it and remember.😀

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26026923/red-sox-owner-john-henry-says-spending-more-tends-helps-teams-win

Red Sox owner John Henry says spending more tends to helps teams win

ORT MYERS, Fla. -- In apparent contradiction of his own commissioner, Boston Red Sox owner John Henry said Monday that, while there is not a perfect correlation between a bigger payroll and winning, "spending more money helps."

His Red Sox had the highest payroll in the sport in 2018 and won their fourth World Series title since Henry became principal owner of the franchise in 2002. During a media session on Sunday in West Palm Beach, commissioner Rob Manfred, addressing the cold free-agent winter that has Bryce Harper and Manny Machado still unsigned, said, "I reject the notion that payroll is a good measure for how much a team is trying or how successful that team is going to be."

...The Red Sox and Nationals were the only teams to exceed the $197 million luxury tax threshold in 2018, with the Red Sox paying an $11.95 million penalty. The combined penalty between the Red Sox and Nationals was less than $15 million, the first time the combined tax was that low since 2003. The tax threshold increases to $206 million for 2019 and then $208 million and $210 million the next two seasons.

John Henry and Liverpool's Evolution From Moneyball to Big-Spending Approach

But Henry, a wispy, gray-haired trader, did know a thing or two about cashing in on storied teams with massive fan bases, celebrated stadiums and long championship droughts. As the owner of the Red Sox, he had delivered the team its first World Series title in 86 years. His introduction to Liverpool came from an unlikely source: a text message from an employee in the Red Sox corporate sales department named Joe Januszewski. It contained a simple request. “Save my club!”

It didn’t take long for Henry to realize that the winning might have to wait a while. The $487 million that FSG (Fenway Sports Group) had spent to acquire the club, he realized, had bought a lot of headaches. Hicks and Gillett had left Liverpool with a mediocre squad of aging players, a deeply unpopular manager and absolutely no idea what to do about the team’s fabled stadium, which needed to be redeveloped to bring it up to modern money-making standards or else abandoned in favor of building a new venue altogether.

Still, Henry wasn’t unduly fazed. The Red Sox had been faced with similar problems when he arrived there, and as he learned more about his new team and the broader landscape of English soccer, he began to feel certain that the same tricks he used in Boston would work 4,000 miles away in another cold northern city with rabidly loyal supporters—Liverpool Nation—and its own 90-year-old stadium.

“It became clear to me there were a number of similarities between the Reds and the Red Sox, as well as Liverpool and Boston and their respective fan bases,” Henry said. What English soccer needed, he decided, was some good old-fashioned American innovation.

The Liverpool boss has transformed the club since his arrival and taken the club to a level they haven’t been since the 1980s.

Tweeting after the Reds’ title win, Liverpool owner Henry claimed it was “a season for the ages” as he hailed Liverpool for achieving FSG’s long-term target of winning the Premier League.

“This was a season for the ages and for the faithful of Liverpool Football Club. It has been an incredible year of magnificent achievement culminating tonight in capturing the Premier League title,” Henry wrote.

“The world has watched the fierce determination of this club on the field for every single match – the preparation, the resolve and the talent of those who put together perhaps the greatest league performance ever in any country’s history.

“This in addition to winning a European championship, a Super Cup and a world championship -- the totality of this accomplishment has brought respite and joy to so many in a year filled with so much tragedy. LFC has made the beautiful game more beautiful than ever.

https://lfcglobe.co.uk/a-historic-club-making-history-again-liverpool-owner-john-henry-hails-title-winning-reds/

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I can’t comment on what Henry is like specifically, but what I would say is that the Liverpool fanbase over here are largely against the FSG ownership group. They are very happy that a potential sale is being talked about. That may have no relevance to this particular subject, but for information they generally aren’t viewed as good owners of Liverpool FC.

I read the Echo almost every day.  Daily Mail, Mirror, etc.   I bought the Hospitality package a couple of years ago and sat with Liverpool fans over lunch before their game against Tottenham.  I was friends with a rabid LFC fan, he died recently, met up with him at the Grapes when I've been to Liverpool, he has been through 70 years of Liverpool ownership, big fan of Henry during his day.  I am not exactly flying blind on it.

Henry has been lauded plenty.   But THIS season is their first down season in awhile.  Klopp as you probably know is wildly popular with LFC fans.  Henry hired him and extended him.  But some fans have turned on him this year.  Liverpool has gotten old.  They had a good run.   At this moment, neither lol are at their peak with fans but leading up to it, it was a good run.  

The Premier League as you likely know has become more of a spending war than ever.  Henry isn't keeping up with the mega rich owners.  And look i am frustrated by that too.  But overall he's done a nice job there.  Few would argue otherwise.  But is he competing spending wise against the mega rich owners?  He's not.  And in the Premier League, there is no cap.   The NFL has a cap -- no oil tycoon can take over City or Newcastle or whomever and outspend everyone easily in the NFL.  If I was afraid the Eagles were taken over by a Saudi prince and the cap would be discarded by the NFL -- Henry would not be the dude for me.  But with these rules, I am more than fine with Henry as the owner. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-henry-jurgen-klopp-liverpool-16737677

Why Liverpool fans loved moment John Henry met Jurgen Klopp ahead of Norwich match

A clip of the Liverpool owner meeting the manager has gone viral on Twitter and fans liked the 'mutual respect' on show

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 7.01.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 7.01.16 AM.png

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not exactly flying blind on it.

No I’m not suggesting you are. I’m just saying I know a whole load of LFC fans, young and old, and the vast majority don’t like that ownership. The more casual fan is less interested but the vast majority of long standing fans are fairly happy that FSG could be getting out. Nobody’s really compares them to Man City, as they were an outlier re finances. Well until the Newcastle takeover anyway.

As I say, I don’t have a personal view on them, I’m none fussed either way. My take on it over here in the UK based on the fanbase I know is that they are far from loved as an ownership. That may be solely down to lack of financial backing in comparison to the City and Newcastle. Not sure.

10 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

The NFL can close ranks all it wants with or without Snyder, but it doesn't change the fact that they can't lie under oath in a courtroom. The NFL thinks it is above the law, but that's what got them into this mess in the first place.

Yahoo Sports: D.C. lawsuit might end Dan Snyder's tenure as Commanders owner — and it could bring down NFL commish Roger Goodell with him.
https://sports.yahoo.com/dc-lawsuit-may-not-only-end-dan-snyders-tenure-as-nfl-owner-it-could-bring-roger-goodell-down-with-him-022001389.html?src=rss

• Like 1

Only thing I have to add is that most fan bases don’t like their ownership. There aren’t many franchises that have been so successful throughout entire ownership runs that their fans fully embrace them. 

There is always criticism and skepticism. 

Always will be. I don’t really make that a defining characteristic of an owner:

1) Are they attempting to acquire the best talent they can at coaching, front office and player positions?

2) are they doing everything they can to get those top talents? Are facilities up to date? 

3) Are they definitive pieces of ****? Most owners can be said to be but not all, and even then there are layers. 

4) Do they respect the fans enough to not insult their intelligence? Provide reasons to attend games for the most part?

What the overall fan opinion of an ownership group can be is a fairly meaningless measure of an owner.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

No I’m not suggesting you are. I’m just saying I know a whole load of LFC fans, young and old, and the vast majority don’t like that ownership. The more casual fan is less interested but the vast majority of long standing fans are fairly happy that FSG could be getting out. Nobody’s really compares them to Man City, as they were an outlier re finances. Well until the Newcastle takeover anyway.

As I say, I don’t have a personal view on them, I’m none fussed either way. My take on it over here in the UK based on the fanbase I know is that they are far from loved as an ownership. That may be solely down to lack of financial backing in comparison to the City and Newcastle. Not sure.

My point is the moment in time is essential to this point.  Just two years ago, 2020 they won the premiership after 30 years, I don't recall, much whining about Henry then. Ditto winning the Champions League, the year before.  Last year they came close to winning all 4 -- 2 cups, the premier league and the champions league but came just a little short. 

This season for the first time, in a long time, the wheels came off.  they can still bounce back -- they beat City and beat Tottenham just last weekend on the road but this season doesn't feel hot.  Heck even Klopp right now isn't celebrated.

The best analogy i can think of to American sports is up to this season its been City versus Liverpool as for the top club in England. for quite some time  And Liverpool has mostly been just a little short of City -- sort of like the Red Sox runs against the Yankees in the 1990s or the Bills losing SBs in the early 1990s but to make the analogy work the Bills would have won a SB in the mix. but lost the others. 

But the lack of a cap and City outspending them by a mile, coupled with Newcastle now embarking on the same journey and Chelsea's new owners going nuts -- has made some LFC fans frustrated.

When I first saw Henry mentioned as a possibility, my thought was he's classy but no.  But then I thought about it some more.  I'd kill for starters the run that the Red Sox and LFC has under Henry.  And what i don't like about him as LFC's owner which is squarely keeping pace with the bigger spenders -- doesn't worry me in the NFL.  He's not been cheap in NFL terms.  LFC has been the 12th bigger spending club in the world as to international soccer, even though they have to compete with bigger spending teams like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Paris St. Germain, in the Champions League, etc.  But its still not enough.  You bet i want the rumor that a Qatar oil tyconn buys LFC from Henry.  But none of that applies to what I think about the Commanders.

Man Utd, Liverpool, Barcelona, PSG: 20 clubs with highest net spend since 2012

https://www.givemesport.com/88054128-man-utd-liverpool-barcelona-psg-20-clubs-with-highest-net-spend-since-2012     

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My point is the moment in time is essential to this point.  Just two years ago, 2020 they won the premiership after 30 years, I don't recal, much whining about Henry then.

I’d generally agree with the point @KDawgposted about fan opinion of ownership. I’m not really invested either way re LFC for example. I was only relaying what I know from my interaction with the fanbase I know. My brother for example is a long standing season ticket holder, probably 25 years. Both he and all the people he knows in those circles don’t care too much for them. Never have. And that’s a die hard core of people following them all over Europe. They love Klopp that is for sure. The ownership, I don’t get that impression they are rated too well personally but that doesn’t mean it to be the case.

In terms of the Snyder sale, I couldn’t give an opinion on if Henry was a good option or not. Based on this thread, it seems quite negative towards him.