Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

Opposite to Dan, Bezos didn't really lucked into being one of the richest guy in the world. He's probably not perfect and most likely the most altruist guy in the world, no doubt. But I don't see him as a guy that would be happy with a crappy stadium and a team that is the **** show it is right now on and off the field.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep Jobs had a similar rep that's true.

But yeah there are plenty of CEOs who don't have the reputation of being A-holes to their employees.

But if we're really categorizing, these guys are literally in a league of their own: the founder/inventor => top 20 worlds most successful people.  

There just aren't many of them, and they tend to all have some very significant personality flaws that might actually factor into why they are so succesful.  And frankly, they have all stepped over, on top of, and screwed countless people to get to where they are.  Bill Gates comes off as a humble every-man.  He literally stole from Xerox and Apple virtually everything that made Microsoft successful and didn't bat an eye doing it.  

Some might just be more polite about it. 

I really don't care one way or the other.  Jobs was a jackass to just about everybody forever.  There isn't a company in existence that wouldn't hire him right now (granted, yeah, I know he's dead, but if he were alive) to run their business.  Because he was a genius, and could see things nobody else could.  

I think it's the same with Bezos.  I'd gladly take his mind and his money and deal with the rest.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think it's the same with Bezos.  I'd gladly take his mind and his money and deal with the rest.  

I am not arguing otherwise.    I don't think anyone else is arguing otherwise unless I missed a post?  And the argument that some use about every billionaire has to be ruthless to get what they want as if that characteristic in turn summarizes their general demeanor and personality about all things including how they deal with people -- is a big time strawman argument in the context of what I am saying.  I didn't attack ambitious-ruthless personalites in business.  But I disagree that all those dudes have a Bezos disposition, that its a package deal.

I deal with many multi millionaires granted never a billionaire in my work every year.  A lot of these guys run for office.  And yeah most were aggressive to get where they are at, I don't disagree.  Not everyone of these people are A-holes for me to work for where they will berate me and other employees and curse and scream at me.  Some do, most don't.  Most are cool.  

As far as Bezos, I am not trying to steal the romance about him.  It's like dating someone for the first time -- everything is cool and pollyana and feels great.  And anyone who wants to rain on that party is a killjoy.

So i am getting some vibes here that some want the romance about Bezos to go full tilt, without a single disclaimer.  I am not trying to rain on that romance.  Just saying if he's the dude, the behavior which I've heard about for years is my one red flag that I'll keep my eyes open about. 

It's not a deal breaker, I want Bezos.  But I am not pretending if he ends up the guy I've never heard all those mentions over the years about him as a dude from my watchings of CNBC, and those mentions were not who isn't an A-hole.

https://hbr.org/2013/10/what-its-like-to-work-for-jeff-bezos-hint-hell-probably-call-you-stupid

What It’s Like to Work for Jeff Bezos (Hint: He’ll Probably Call You Stupid)

by 
  • Gretchen Gavett
  • Bezos isn’t a particularly nice boss. Amazon’s culture is “notoriously confrontational,” with Bezos regularly embarking on what employees call “nutters,” which largely consist of him shooting off phrases like “Are you lazy or incompetent?” “I’m sorry, did I take my stupid pills today?” and “If I hear that idea again, I’m gonna have to kill myself.” 

https://www.shortform.com/blog/jeff-bezos-angry/

Is Jeff Bezos Angry? His Toxic Behavior Explained

Why is Jeff Bezos known for being so angry? What are some examples of Bezos’s temper? How has this influenced Amazon’s work culture?

Many of Amazon’s employees have described Jeff Bezos as angry. Bezos frequently lashes out at employees, degrades and swears at them, and promotes a culture where his execs do the same.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I wasn't arguing, I was stating.  :) 

The stating (which others have, too) that billionaries are ruthless in business in a post to the response of this dude is an A-hole to deal with -- comes off to me that people are saying the trait of being ruthless in business leads to that person to be an abrasive employer.  My response is from my own experience not necessarily so.  Simple as that. ;)

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Dan's probably slow walking the sale. 

There’s nothing suggesting that at all, the timetable is still the same as it was predicted to be, so far. The thing that’s weird is the lack of leaks—and that’s been attributed to the lack of involvement from other NFL owners who seem like they don’t want to pressure or spook Snyder since they’re getting what they want in the end anyways. They’re treating him like a skittish animal who’s finally eating the food they left out, and for good reason.

• Like 9

I don't care if Bezos is a dick. He's mostly only going to be a dick to high level executive types and so who cares? All those people are overpaid anyway. He's going to hire football people to run that part of the operation and I have no doubts he'd hire the absolute best and let them do their job. Beyond that, I couldn't care less. I want the football team to be successful. Couldn't care less if some of the suits or high up executive types get their feelings hurt.

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

17 hours ago, Conn said:

There’s nothing suggesting that at all, the timetable is still the same as it was predicted to be, so far. The thing that’s weird is the lack of leaks—and that’s been attributed to the lack of involvement from other NFL owners who seem like they don’t want to pressure or spook Snyder since they’re getting what they want in the end anyways. They’re treating him like a skittish animal who’s finally eating the food they left out, and for good reason.

I fully expect one last fu from Dan before he’s gone.

37 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I fully expect one last fu from Dan before he’s gone.

I truly think that he goes out with a whimper. I don’t think we directly hear from him about the team ever again—the team will put out a statement when the sale is final or whatever, but nothing from him personally. But I think he’s broken and done and just wants his money. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

19 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Dan's probably slow walking the sale. 

Why would he?

Sellers always want to sell as fast as possible so they get their money as fast as possible and it limits the time for the deal to fall apart.

there is absolutely no reason for a seller to slow play anything just about ever.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

The list of billionaires who are nice to people could fit on the tip of my finger, using a 24 point font.

I don’t know about that.  You can be nice and shrewd at the same time.

There are no non-shrewd billionaires.  Also there are no billionaires who wouldn’t be willing to squash anybody in their path.

I’ve met the Carlyle guy David Rubinstein, and he could be a legitimately nice guy.  I don’t know him well (obviously) but he was talking to everybody regardless of status or wealth, seemed to be generally enjoying himself just chatting with a whole bunch of people, some who he knew, some he didn’t.

Now, he’s not in the club of “founder/inventor” as he’s an investor.  So there’s a different mindset.  

He was trying to team up with Ted to buy the Nats at one point earlier this year.  

6 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don’t know about that.  You can be nice and shrewd at the same time.

There are no non-shrewd billionaires.  Also there are no billionaires who wouldn’t be willing to squash anybody in their path.

I’ve met the Carlyle guy David Rubinstein, and he could be a legitimately nice guy.  I don’t know him well (obviously) but he was talking to everybody regardless of status or wealth, seemed to be generally enjoying himself just chatting with a whole bunch of people, some who he knew, some he didn’t.

Now, he’s not in the club of “founder/inventor” as he’s an investor.  So there’s a different mindset.  

He was trying to team up with Ted to buy the Nats at one point earlier this year.  

There are some guys in tech who become billionaires as founding CTOs and in other exec roles. Miguel McKelvey was the cofounder at WeWork and was along for the early ride because he was an architect. They eventually moved him to a Chief Culture Officer role. Decent chance he is not a bad guy (Neumann held the power and is definitely a complete scumbag)

Edited by method man

The whole "you have to be a ruthless asshole to be a billionaire" thing always puzzled me, because it makes zero sense from a human nature perspective. Clearly there are lots of billionaires who are raging assholes, but I personally think that could fall into the correlation vs causation fallacy.

Meaning you don't need to be a horrible demeaning asshole to become super rich, but the way we think about business in our culture and certain traits they have (being driven, demanding high standards, pushing limits) has helped some people become super rich who also happen to have the undesirable personality trait of treating other people like ****

I don't see any reason why a big tech CEO can't be highly driven, tough, demand high standards, and push limits while also treating other people with dignity and respect at the same time. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

I'd actually argue that a CEO like that would probably get more out of their people than a raging asshole who demeans others, just based purely on human nature. Who would you be more likely to go to the ends of the earth for: a horrible person who treats his people like trash and who you obey just so you don't get screamed at and called stupid, or a person who treats you well and uses more positive motivation (while still keeping high standards and making sure everyone knows the values and what you absolutely won't accept)?

Again, I think it's more because some horrid people have become billionaires that we now look at it and say "Oh, that person was successful, so that must mean you have to be a horrid asshole to become hugely rich" than it is that you actually do have to be that sort of person to get to that point.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The whole "you have to be a ruthless asshole to be a billionaire" thing always puzzled me, because it makes zero sense from a human nature perspective. Clearly there are lots of billionaires who are raging assholes, but I personally think that could fall into the correlation vs causation fallacy.

Meaning you don't need to be a horrible demeaning asshole to become super rich, but the way we think about business in our culture and certain traits they have (being driven, demanding high standards, pushing limits) has helped some people become super rich who also happen to have the undesirable personality trait of treating other people like ****

I don't see any reason why a big tech CEO can't be highly driven, tough, demand high standards, and push limits while also treating other people with dignity and respect at the same time. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

I'd actually argue that a CEO like that would probably get more out of their people than a raging asshole who demeans others, just based purely on human nature. Who would you be more likely to go to the ends of the earth for: a horrible person who treats his people like trash and who you obey just so you don't get screamed at and called stupid, or a person who treats you well and uses more positive motivation (while still keeping high standards and making sure everyone knows the values and what you absolutely won't accept)?

Again, I think it's more because some horrid people have become billionaires that we now look at it and say "Oh, that person was successful, so that must mean you have to be a horrid asshole to become hugely rich" than it is that you actually do have to be that sort of person to get to that point.

Summary - Good To Great by Jim Collins.  Whole lot of very successful CEO's are actually quite pleasant, caring people. 

• Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, The Rook said:

Thanks, interesting links for sure. That leaders.com one seems to actually back up what I was saying about treating people well. Companies with high empathy within their culture outperform companies with low empathy by large margins in various categories.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

Thanks, interesting links for sure. That leaders.com one seems to actually back up what I was saying about treating people well. Companies with high empathy within their culture outperform companies with low empathy by large margins in various categories.

That really makes sense when you think about it. Consistency is necessary for a team in any profession to be successful, and good people aren’t going to stick around long if they aren’t treated well. The Washington Redskins/Commanders under Dan are sadly a great example of what happens to an organization with low empathy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2