Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

We did love it when he bought the team.  We just wished it would have gone through faster so we didn't lose our good QB in Green. I don't remember whether it was here or Capitol Punishment that I was posting on at the time (it's been a min).  Truth told though, many of us wanted Cooke's son to get the team and thought good old Jack screwed everyone over not leaving it to him.

Edited by gbear
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not living and dying with Bezos.  I would like him to buy it but IMO he has some wildcard.   I watch a lot of CNBC and its a not a secret that he as a personality is often arrogant and a douche in the work environment. 

There is going to be a douche element to all these guys. I love some of his business principles such as 1) written memos ahead of meetings and 2) meetings have to be small enough where 2 pizzas can feed the group. He also has done well for himself by hiring smart people. If Jay-Z becomes a part of the ownership group, that would bring a "coolness" factor that will help in wooing free agents (and that is not a guess but a fact given Roc Sports has been involved in the NFL)

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

I agree with you in that I'm not giddy on Bezos buying the team, but I don't hate it either. I just want Snyder out and hope for the best, whoever the new owner would be. It's hard for me to have a favorite simply because I obviously don't know any of these potential buyers personally and they may all be douches. A person we all think is going to be great could be a disaster- not a Snyder like disaster, but a disaster nonetheless.

I wonder if ES existed in 1999 when Snyder bought the franchise how many of us would have loved that a 30 something, lifelong fan from the DMV was taking over as owner? I would guess that a lot of people- including myself- would have liked, if not loved it. And man oh man, how wrong those people would've been.

I remember when Dan took over. I admit, I was very excited. I also remember a fan of another team praising him on how he made training camp a family friendly attraction. 

Edited by No Nonsense

20 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I remember when Dan took over. I admit, I was very excited. He also remember a fan of another team praising him on how he made training camp a family friendly attraction. 

ES existed in 1999, evolved from The Sporting News message board a couple years earlier.

36 minutes ago, method man said:

There is going to be a douche element to all these guys. I love some of his business principles such as 1) written memos ahead of meetings and 2) meetings have to be small enough where 2 pizzas can feed the group. He also has done well for himself by hiring smart people. If Jay-Z becomes a part of the ownership group, that would bring a "coolness" factor that will help in wooing free agents (and that is not a guess but a fact given Roc Sports has been involved in the NFL)

Yes, there are plenty of jerks in business and any profession.  But Bezos is singled out as one of the bigger jerks to work for.    He is notorious for it.  On CNBC they sometimes have joked about it. 

I am OK with Bezos but well before the idea of him being this team potential next owner, its been cemented in my mind that Bezos is quite the A-hole to work with, plenty of narratives about it including how he loves undressing people.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yes, there are plenty of jerks in business and any profession.  But Bezos is singled out as one of the bigger jerks to work for.    He is notorious for it.  On CNBC they sometimes have joked about it. 

I am OK with Bezos but well before the idea of him being this team potential next owner, its been cemented in my mind that Bezos is quite the A-hole to work with, plenty of narratives about it including how he loves undressing people.   

Real question: Does he do it with things he owns but doesn't have a personal entwinement with?  Like Amazon I could understand, even Blue Origin because of the race, but what about the Post?  I'm hoping he, and any other owner we ever have, would be putting one guy in charge so that while Bezos is at the top of the org chart, there's only one guy at the rung beneath him, and that guy runs the whole show and would be the only person having to deal with Bezos.

Musk sounds like he wants his hands in everything, but I haven't heard that about Bezos.

13 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Real question: Does he do it with things he owns but doesn't have a personal entwinement with?  Like Amazon I could understand, even Blue Origin because of the race, but what about the Post?  I'm hoping he, and any other owner we ever have, would be putting one guy in charge so that while Bezos is at the top of the org chart, there's only one guy at the rung beneath him, and that guy runs the whole show and would be the only person having to deal with Bezos.

Musk sounds like he wants his hands in everything, but I haven't heard that about Bezos.

Not sure if he would be hands on with this team.  I just recall stories about how he berates his employees.   I get the vibe he has some George Steinnbrenner in him, not sure in the context of interference, but as to yelling and going off quite a bit at people in the work environment. 

I vaguely recall a story about someone who knew Bezos by reputation and was tasked with lecturing on an issue with Bezos in the audience and had fear of Bezos berating him if he said something off.  Or something like that.  

In short, I get the vibe he has a very short fuse and he's not one of these Warren Buffett types who are humble even though they are wildly successful.  He has the reputation for yelling, swearing, berating employees so you need a tough skin to work closely with him according to some.

But would he do it as the Commanders owner?  Maybe not.  i don't get the impression at all that he is hands on for example at the Washington Post. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Good luck finding a billionaire who hasn't stepped on some toes. I don't need the next owner to be nice, just effective.

yeah for real. They're all ruthless SOBs. But they're not all competent when it comes to fielding good organizations in sports. I have no doubts Bezos would be.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure if he would be hands on with this team.  I just recall stories about how he berates his employees.   I get the vibe he has some George Steinnbrenner in him, not sure in the context of interference, but as to yelling and going off quite a bit at people in the work environment. 

I vaguely recall a story about someone who knew Bezos by reputation and was tasked with lecturing on an issue with Bezos in the audience and had fear of Bezos berating him if he said something off.  Or something like that.  

In short, I get the vibe he has a very short fuse and he's not one of these Warren Buffett types who are humble even though they are wildly successful.  He has the reputation for yelling, swearing, berating employees so you need a tough skin to work closely with him according to some.

But would he do it as the Commanders owner?  Maybe not.  i don't get the impression at all that he is hands on for example at the Washington Post. 

Thank you, that was exactly the answer I was hoping for!

Snyder bought the Redskins with a "high schooler getting a BMW on his 16th birthday"-level of confidence.  Had no role in getting the car, but he loved to tell people about it, and had no clue how to actually drive or take care of the thing.

Bezos seems like he's already succeeded and has nothing to prove. Even if one needs tough skin to work with him, someone without tough skin doesn't get anywhere near the C-suite to begin with.

If he has co-owners who want to play a little bit like Jay-Z and Allrightallrightallright, then sure, they can test his patience.  I just want the best everything.  Forever.  I don't think that's too much to ask.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He is hyper focused on the end user experience. He will look at this and will see building back the fan base as the priority. I expect the new stadium and gameday experience to be by far the best in all of sports if he acquires the team.

He will also understand that he will also need to deliver a consistent winner. Berating subordinates won’t work in the NFL. He’s smart enough to know that. He built AWS because off the shelf stuff wasn’t delivering the customer experience he wanted. Snyder got lucky and hit the lotto being at the right place at the right time with Snyder communications. Bezos is a legit once in a generation business leader. I am pumped up for it if it happens. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Good luck finding a billionaire who hasn't stepped on some toes. I don't need the next owner to be nice, just effective.

I don't know that Warren Buffet is a jerk. I don't think being a billionaire and a jerk necessarily goes hand in hand. But i don't doubt it true more than it's not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

He is hyper focused on the end user experience. He will look at this and will see building back the fan base as the priority. I expect the new stadium and gameday experience to be by far the best in all of sports if he acquires the team.

He will also understand that he will also need to deliver a consistent winner. Berating subordinates won’t work in the NFL. He’s smart enough to know that. He built AWS because off the shelf stuff wasn’t delivering the customer experience he wanted. Snyder got lucky and hit the lotto being at the right place at the right time with Snyder communications. Bezos is a legit once in a generation business leader. I am pumped up for it if it happens. 

Sure, I'd be pumped too.

Just saying for those that are belittiling the Bezos can be abrasive rap as if its just run of the mill stuff for name that billionaire -- he seems to be pegged for it much more than name that other CEO.  Musk at times I read can be abrasive but he's from what i recall more moody where its sometimes as opposed to often.  Bezos and also his underling managers are known for having really short fuses -- screaming, cursing, etc.  

But getting past that, yeah I'd kill for having his kind of money and clout behind this team.  And I suspect this team as you mention wouldn't be run in that way like Amazon.  I don't get the impression that he's hands on at all at the WP. 

1 minute ago, NewCliche21 said:

Thank you, that was exactly the answer I was hoping for!

Snyder bought the Redskins with a "high schooler getting a BMW on his 16th birthday"-level of confidence.  Had no role in getting the car, but he loved to tell people about it, and had no clue how to actually drive or take care of the thing.

Bezos seems like he's already succeeded and has nothing to prove. Even if one needs tough skin to work with him, someone without tough skin doesn't get anywhere near the C-suite to begin with.

If he has co-owners who want to play a little bit like Jay-Z and Allrightallrightallright, then sure, they can test his patience.  I just want the best everything.  Forever.  I don't think that's too much to ask.

Sure, don't get me wrong I'd take anyone over Dan. 

And I'd love Bezos.  But its also tough for me to pretend that I didn't hear these stories about him over the years -- I'll use hyperbole to make a point but to use a Karate Kid analogy he has more John Kreese to his reputation as a dude -- versus Daniel Larusso.  So that would be the wildcard with me. 

Would he be impatient like a George Steinnbrenner firing coaches year after year or whatever.  I don't know but that's my one pause about him.  But the dude is clearly smart and could put a ton of money and political connections which are need to get a stadium among other things.  So I'd be jazzed.  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Right… because LaVar doesn’t market himself as a former Redskin… 🤣

Snyder is absolute trash. He isn’t saying something new. Doesn’t change the fact that it was HIS agents who screwed up by not reading that contract. You told us ****, LaVar.

Edited by ntotoro
  • Like 3

Really hoping Dan Snyder doesn't know about the time George Preston Marshall almost sold the Redskins in the 1950s but was such an arrogant putz that he changed the terms at the last minute and alienated the would-be buyer and future NFL owner - a fella named Clint Murchison, Jr. You might have heard of him but you've definitely heard of his team

dallas-cowboys-logo_1960.jpg

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure if he would be hands on with this team.  I just recall stories about how he berates his employees. 

So did Steve Jobs.  You don’t hear the same about Bill Gates as much but he just stole stuff so that’s not great either.  

People who are that driven tend to have a switch they just can’t turn off.  And it can make them raging ass hats.  

2 hours ago, Redwolves92 said:

😄 

Lavar is the most disappointing player of my lifetime. And I’m old so that’s saying something. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RVAskins said:

I don't know that Warren Buffet is a jerk. I don't think being a billionaire and a jerk necessarily goes hand in hand. But i don't doubt it true more than it's not.

It often comes down to intensity.  People who are seriously intense that can’t turn it off are jerks.  If you are a jerk and then make a ton of money, chances are you’ll continue to be a jerk. 

I work with a guy right is who’s so intense he’s a jerk a lot of the time.  He’s not a billionaire.  But man, if he was, I wouldn’t have been able to give him the advice “don’t start a land war in Asia….”

The new owner is going to spend 7 billion and maybe 2-4 billion on a stadium .

He can be an asshole. I think the new owner is going to want to ensure his team makes him money. Best way to do that, just win baby. 

So, he will do what he needs to win. Whether he’s successful depends on who he hires.

The 4 most recent owners have had mixed results:

Haslam- He’s changed coaches so much like early Dan. He’s had very little success and now everything is riding on Watson being a success.

Pegula- had early missteps but found success with McDermott though Bills may find McDermott has a ceiling and may need someone else to get over the hump.

Tepper- He’s failed so far. Hasn’t found the coach or qb post prime Cam. He’s willing to spend though.

Walton- made a big mistake agreeing to Wilson extension.  Made a right move in firing Hackett. First coaching hire is critical.

I just want the new guy to hire the right people and let them do their jobs and have time to do their jobs. Easier said than done as the mixed results of other owners said.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So did Steve Jobs.  You don’t hear the same about Bill Gates as much but he just stole stuff so that’s not great either.  

Yep Jobs had a similar rep that's true.

But yeah there are plenty of CEOs who don't have the reputation of being A-holes to their employees.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep Jobs had a similar rep that's true.

But yeah there are plenty of CEOs who don't have the reputation of being A-holes to their employees.

Josh Harris being one. I am starting to lean towards him as the preferred choice.

25 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Josh Harris being one. I am starting to lean towards him as the preferred choice.

Harris would be a fine hire albeit a little uninspiring and boring. But I'd have no doubts he'd have us contending within a couple years or so at the latest.

The reason I like Bezos is because we'd be the franchise on the cutting edge of innovation after years of being a complete joke(league worst facilities and amenities, bare bones scouting, no data driven approach etc.).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Harris would be a fine hire albeit a little uninspiring and boring. But I'd have no doubts he'd have us contending within a couple years or so at the latest.

The reason I like Bezos is because we'd be the franchise on the cutting edge of innovation after years of being a complete joke(league worst facilities and amenities, bare bones scouting, no data driven approach etc.).

I agree on Bezos, and feel the same way. But maybe we need uninspiring and boring after Snyder. I feel the good owners of the league are quiet and boring.