Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep Jobs had a similar rep that's true.

But yeah there are plenty of CEOs who don't have the reputation of being A-holes to their employees.

Founder CEOs tend to be bigger assholes that non-founder CEOs because they are sacrificing a lot more, being a successful founder takes a certain personality type and have a lot more riding on the outcome

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Josh Harris being one. I am starting to lean towards him as the preferred choice.

If you prefer massive PSLs and not having the stadium at the RFK site then he’s your man. The only one mentioned in the bidding who could make RFK work is Bezos. All the others would want to recoup the investment by maximizing profit wherever possible and that means a mega complex in a more remote area.

Paul Allen built the Seahawks stadium downtown near a ton of bars and restaurants he would not profit from and designed it to be acoustically loud and comfortable for the fans. Bezos has the deep pockets to do something similar. The others don’t. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

If you prefer massive PSLs and not having the stadium at the RFK site then he’s your man. The only one mentioned in the bidding who could make RFK work is Bezos. All the others would want to recoup the investment by maximizing profit wherever possible and that means a mega complex in a more remote area.

Paul Allen built the Seahawks stadium downtown near a ton of bars and restaurants he would not profit from and designed it to be acoustically loud and comfortable for the fans. Bezos has the deep pockets to do something similar. The others don’t. 

There are other people in Josh Harris's group. He could partner with other folks who are not part of the equity for the team who could contribute equity for the stadium/mega center

2 minutes ago, method man said:

There are other people in Josh Harris's group. He could partner with other folks who are not part of the equity for the team who could contribute equity for the stadium/mega center

That’s my point. They would treat it as a business investment. I don’t think Bezos will. He will see it as stewarding a franchise and if he doesn’t squeeze every penny out of it he’s not going to care. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

That’s my point. They would treat it as a business investment. I don’t think Bezos will. He will see it as stewarding a franchise and if he doesn’t squeeze every penny out of it he’s not going to care. 

Your worry is a legit one in a soft cap or uncapped league like MLB or the NBA but not a real concern in a hard cap league like the NFL

8 minutes ago, method man said:

Your worry is a legit one in a soft cap or uncapped league like MLB or the NBA but not a real concern in a hard cap league like the NFL

No dude I am not talking about the roster. I am talking about the stadium and the gameday experience and pricing. That has everything to do with ownership and nothing to do with caps. Zero. 

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

Listen, I’m happy if Bezos buys us because I’ll happily take his resources and his ability to hire well and his cutthroat acumen, and because I don’t believe there’s an ethical billionaire in existence so we’ve all already drawn our moral lines by watching professional sports in the first place. We’ve already decided that our entertainment during the short stint we get on this spinning rock is worth overlooking certain things, so we can proceed from there. I’m fine with that arrangement. 

But some of the stuff you’re saying just doesn’t fully track. The guy is literally known for squeezing every penny and ounce of efficiency (for money—and customer experience, which leads to money) out of everything. He’d see himself as a steward?12 hours ago his paper, which he could run with pocket change if he really believed “Democracy Dies in Darkness”, laid off tons of journalists. Cut entire departments even though some of those departments were geared towards drawing in a younger audience to a dying medium. Cold blooded, cash-oriented. He absolutely cared that that paper, something way more worthy of “stewarding” than a sports franchise, was not maximizing profits. The opposite, in fact. 

Again, because of the deal with the devil I’ve already made as a sports fan, none of that disqualifies him from being an owner I’d be hopeful about here. I’m at peace with it in this context. But we need to kill the feel-good legends around any of these candidates when we’re trying to pick the lesser of the available evils. There’s no need to delude ourselves into thinking that Bezos would treat the team as something sacred that he just wants the right to “steward”, like he’s doing a public service. The dude wants to make money. Lots and lots of money. He will care very very much about making those piles and piles of money and will do everything he can to do it as efficiently and ruthlessly as possible. That should lead to winning and a restoration of our dignity and clout as a franchise, so it’s fine. But let’s not pretend Daddy Bezos is here to save the day and approach running the franchise with more noble intentions than anyone else. He can be your favorite because he’s got limitless resources, the political clout to bully congress for a DC stadium, and the type of unfathomable wealth that would allow him to tell the rest of the league to eat his ass. That’s okay. We don’t have to pretend he’s got some higher purpose if he buys the team. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, method man said:

Founder CEOs tend to be bigger assholes that non-founder CEOs because they are sacrificing a lot more, being a successful founder takes a certain personality type and have a lot more riding on the outcome

Not sure.  Richard Branson from what I've read and heard is a nice guy.  I haven't really kept score.  It's just hard to miss when some are depicted as over the top jerks where its hard to miss even when you don't care which was the case with me with Bezos.  And yes as @Voice_of_Reason said Steve Jobs, too. 

I am not saying its a deal breaker for me.  It isn't.  But if you follow Bezos on CNBC, the description of his temper, being profane and not a dude who is loved by all his employees has been part of the narrative in a way I don't recall similar narratives about others with that same degree of intensity save Steve Jobs. 

But otherwise, I would definitely want his money and mind.  My point is if we got him as an owner and we start hearing about constant turnover with staff and hear about him yeliing at coaches, the GM, or whatever, I wouldn't be shocked because that's part of the package apparently with Bezos when he's hands on. 

But he might not be hands on in this case.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure.  Richard Branson from what I've read and heard is a nice guy.  I haven't really kept score.  It's just hard to miss when some are depicted as over the top jerks where its hard to miss even when you don't care which was the case with me with Bezos.  And yes as @Voice_of_Reason said Steve Jobs, too. 

I am not saying its a deal breaker for me.  It isn't.  But if you follow Bezos on CNBC, the description of his temper, being profane and not a dude who is loved by all his employees has been part of the narrative in a way I don't recall similar narratives about others with that same degree of intensity save Steve Jobs. 

But otherwise, I would definitely want his money and mind.  My point is if we got him as an owner and we start hearing about constant turnover with staff and hear about him yeliing at coaches, the GM, or whatever, I wouldn't be shocked because that's part of the package apparently with Bezos when he's hands on. 

But he might not be hands on in this case.

The description of Bezos triggers my PTDSISD--Post Traumatic Dan Snyder Induced Stress Disorder 

• Haha 8

28 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

The description of Bezos triggers my PTDSISD--Post Traumatic Dan Snyder Induced Stress Disorder 

My gut is it ends miles different from Dan so I am not worried.  :D   Bezos has other things on his plate I think where I doubt he's hands on like he was at Amazon.

The image painted to me of Bezos is he's super smart and inventive.  But he unlikely would be a fun guy to work for to say the least if he's hands on -- so if he's a hands on owner you probably need some thick skin to work for him. 

• Like 1

Sheehan just said he's still hearing its going on the right track.  Feels 85-90% it happens.

He remains a little worried because Dan is a fight over flight type of personality and if he feels like he's pushed too much he might do a 180 because he's impulsive like that.

He said he heard there is a lot of vetting going on right now by all parties.  In the mix are the prospective owners dissecting what they'd be inheriting including the lawsuits and stuff leveled at the team.   

• Thanks 2

I’d gladly roll the dice on Beezos and his billions of dollars and the resources he could invest in the franchise.  Like @Conn said, we’ve all opted out of the moral high ground by being this fanatical about pro sports to begin with.

All that said, there is absolutely nothing to indicate that Beezos would simply purchase the franchise to steward it and not worry about it making money.  All the way to assuming he won’t have PSL’s at a new stadium, something I don’t see ever going away in any lucrative market.  That’s pure fantasy and I’m not even sure how this narrative was conjured up.  I’d file it under the “Heinicke is going to take this team to the Super Bowl” level fantasy takes we’ve seen around here.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

All that said, there is absolutely nothing to indicate that Beezos would simply purchase the franchise to steward it and not worry about it making money.  All the way to assuming he won’t have PSL’s at a new stadium, something I don’t see ever going away in any lucrative market.  That’s pure fantasy and I’m not even sure how this narrative was conjured up.  I’d file it under the “Heinicke is going to take this team to the Super Bowl” level fantasy takes we’ve seen around here.  

Agree.  I'd add Bezos isn't known to be a spare no expense guy all the time.   He has a reputation like many billionaries do of squeezing every dollar.

It's perfectly plausible that he treats this team like a toy and spares no expense.   But its not a slam dunk given.

For me, the most attractive aspect of Bezos as to what I can count on as very likely are three fold.

A.  He has the clout and smarts to work Congress to possibly secure the RFK site

B.  We wouldn't have to worry about cash flow issues in contracts where for example Terry's contract eats up more of the cap because Dan wanted to wait until the summer to hold on to the cash.   That wouldn't be an issue with Bezos.  Ditto we'd be able to stagger contracts like the Rams do if need be

C.  if he struggles to get public financing for a stadium, he could fund it himself 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  I'd add Bezos isn't known to be a spare no expense guy all the time.   He has a reputation like many billionaries do of squeezing every dollar.

It's perfectly plausible that he treats this team like a toy and spares no expense.   But its not a slam dunk given.

For me, the most attractive aspect of Bezos as to what I can count on as very likely are three fold.

A.  He has the clout and smarts to work Congress to possibly secure the RFK site

B.  We wouldn't have to worry about cash flow issues in contracts where for example Terry's contract eats up more of the cap because Dan wanted to wait until the summer to hold on to the cash.   That wouldn't be an issue with Bezos.  Ditto we'd be able to stagger contracts like the Rams do if need be

C.  if the struggles to get public financing for a stadium, he could fund it himself 

Id add that Bezos is not use to playing second fiddle to anyone. I think he will do what it takes to grandstand his investment (stadium, facilities , on field product). 

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The reason I like Bezos is because we'd be the franchise on the cutting edge of innovation after years of being a complete joke(league worst facilities and amenities, bare bones scouting, no data driven approach etc.).

Thats the biggest thing to me. Bezos is instantly the leading man of innovation and data. He'll quickly see our failures of how we have ran our FO for 25 years. 

@Skinsinparadise I  really appreciate your unique insight and experience here, truly.  (There's no "but .  . ." coming)

From my obnoxiously uneducated understanding, in the 10+ digit club, unique experiences are more valuable than yacht sizes.  You can buy a yacht, you can't buy being the best.

Do you feel that because Snyder is so reviled that it will be a fundamental status for anyone to avoid? There's no uniqueness in the new boss being the same as the old boss.  My unqualified gut tells me that there is incentive for Bezos to not be Snyder in any capacity. Snyder is despised AND a loser. To me, the ultimate win would be to turn this franchise into a winner and be regaled if not outright revered.

What are your thoughts?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

@Skinsinparadise I  really appreciate your unique insight and experience here, truly.  (There's no "but .  . ." coming)

From my obnoxiously uneducated understanding, in the 10+ digit club, unique experiences are more valuable than yacht sizes.  You can buy a yacht, you can't buy being the best.

Do you feel that because Snyder is so reviled that it will be a fundamental status for anyone to avoid? There's no uniqueness in the new boss being the same as the old boss.  My unqualified gut tells me that there is incentive for Bezos to not be Snyder in any capacity. Snyder is despised AND a loser. To me, the ultimate win would be to turn this franchise into a winner and be regaled if not outright revered.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.  We all got unique insight from our own experiences. 

One advantage I might have over some as to gossip-info (and not all of it of course is always correct) is I work from home and got talk radio on all the time, so for example I was just listening to Chris Russell talk about how Dan's relationships have gone south. He suggested that Cooley and Dan had a falling out of some sort.   I am usually listening to something. 

Sometimes though my attention is divided because i am doing something else at the same time so I'll need to go back and listen.  Russell was going on and on about Dan and some stories he's heard just now but i was only paying attention part of that time during that segment.  So I'll likely go back and relisten to it.

As for the next owner, yes I think they'd want to show what they can do especially compared to Dan.  Part of the sell of this team according to national observers is that its a sleeping giant.  And Dan ruined it but a new owner can revive it and bring it back.

Dan was-is so bad on so many levels and his incompetence touched just about every aspect of this team.  So in turn i think just about any new owner will be miles better than Dan.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rick Snider isn't plugged in.  But he loves to say Dan can't back out now because the fan revolt for it would be insane.  He can't survive teases this in his view. 

It would be.

And I think the league would either vote him out or squeeze him out financially. 

10 hours ago, Conn said:

Listen, I’m happy if Bezos buys us because I’ll happily take his resources and his ability to hire well and his cutthroat acumen, and because I don’t believe there’s an ethical billionaire in existence so we’ve all already drawn our moral lines by watching professional sports in the first place. We’ve already decided that our entertainment during the short stint we get on this spinning rock is worth overlooking certain things, so we can proceed from there. I’m fine with that arrangement. 

But some of the stuff you’re saying just doesn’t fully track. The guy is literally known for squeezing every penny and ounce of efficiency (for money—and customer experience, which leads to money) out of everything. He’d see himself as a steward?12 hours ago his paper, which he could run with pocket change if he really believed “Democracy Dies in Darkness”, laid off tons of journalists. Cut entire departments even though some of those departments were geared towards drawing in a younger audience to a dying medium. Cold blooded, cash-oriented. He absolutely cared that that paper, something way more worthy of “stewarding” than a sports franchise, was not maximizing profits. The opposite, in fact. 

Again, because of the deal with the devil I’ve already made as a sports fan, none of that disqualifies him from being an owner I’d be hopeful about here. I’m at peace with it in this context. But we need to kill the feel-good legends around any of these candidates when we’re trying to pick the lesser of the available evils. There’s no need to delude ourselves into thinking that Bezos would treat the team as something sacred that he just wants the right to “steward”, like he’s doing a public service. The dude wants to make money. Lots and lots of money. He will care very very much about making those piles and piles of money and will do everything he can to do it as efficiently and ruthlessly as possible. That should lead to winning and a restoration of our dignity and clout as a franchise, so it’s fine. But let’s not pretend Daddy Bezos is here to save the day and approach running the franchise with more noble intentions than anyone else. He can be your favorite because he’s got limitless resources, the political clout to bully congress for a DC stadium, and the type of unfathomable wealth that would allow him to tell the rest of the league to eat his ass. That’s okay. We don’t have to pretend he’s got some higher purpose if he buys the team. 

He has started giving away a ton of money. Building a  state of the art stadium in DC would be a vanity project for his legacy. Exactly the type of thing that he would do even if he doesn’t make as much money on it as he could putting it elsewhere.