Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taylor Heinicke Extension?

smithmal

22 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Avatar, within reason. He will get an extension or another contract. Deal?

Deal : )

Loser keeps Avatar of winner's choice until first preseason game of 2023 season, whole offseason.

My stance is he's not getting a new contract or extension from us this offseason, if I'm wrong, you have every right to show me the crow to eat.

200w (19).gif

9 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Deal : )

Loser keeps Avatar of winner's choice until first preseason game of 2023 season, whole offseason.

My stance is he's not getting a new contract or extension from us this offseason, if I'm wrong, you have every right to show me the crow to eat.

200w (19).gif

I am usually wrong so no worries on the crow part. Now on to the ownership bet.....lol.

• Haha 1

No long term extension.  A one year extension max.  You don't give a limited player a long term extension because once the new owner has his people in place in 2024; they will completely overhaul the qb roster.  Now, if they can take over before the new league year in 2023; then the overhaul happens next year and no extension.

Rivera doesn't have a long term future here either.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

You beat an 8-0 team, you get an extension. Especially after beating Brady and Rogers. I will call out you losers individually later for your lack of vision and straight stupidity but for now wow. Let’s go Heinicke!!!

6CA2CD36-2289-4B23-ADA1-A48D90E404EE.thumb.jpeg.75a61eda6b376a4c6a3a0ee997e92dd5.jpeg

2years, $5M, hold this.

• Thumb up 3

I agree that I think Heinicke (as a back up, or otherwise) is probably tied to Ron/Turner.  They brought him in because of his knowledge in that offense, knowing his weaknesses and the ability to scheme around them.  I am not sure how well it would work out for Heinicke trying to learn a new offense.  

6 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I agree that I think Heinicke (as a back up, or otherwise) is probably tied to Ron/Turner.  They brought him in because of his knowledge in that offense, knowing his weaknesses and the ability to scheme around them.  I am not sure how well it would work out for Heinicke trying to learn a new offense.  

Well he can’t even run this one. But I think it’s going to be hard for a new GM/coach being ok with having a guy that physically can’t play the game as a qb option. I think next year if Ron is out ( I think he’s gone at seasons end voluntary) it’ll be some one like Dalton and Howell 

• Thumb up 1

27 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Probably Nick Foles level reality check or worse...

Just now, tmandoug1 said:

@Renegade7

Where art thou?

I'm thinking my odds ar how 8/20...what say you?

When can they start contract negotiations?

Not that they will, but so I can set a reminder for when to start looking through Google images for you : )

I wouldn't set a number until season is over and decision for Wentz 2023 was clear if that's the route they choose.  Dude jus got national notice yesterday, so now his chances of being someone else's stopgap if we commit to Wentz increases substantially.

Yea see...there's nothing he's capable of doing to prove he can be the day one starter here next year, but somewhere else, with as many bad QBs as there is now in the NFL, it's not unpossible...

You're in a lose lose situation, brotha, he does well, he leaves on his own for chance to start, he does poorly, Howell takes his job and he's gone to save cap space for the oline.

200 (28).gif

I'm looking at the list of highest paid backups noted on the OP and still think TH is as good (if not better) than all the guys listed on there (save for maybe JimmyG).  At this point I don't think TH is going to get an extension, especially with ownership and the coaching staff up in the air for next year.  If I were TH, I'd go the KC route, roll the dice for the rest of the season, test the FA market and let his play speak for itself.  He's got a very good thing going now with how solid the defense is and ST is suddenly interested in a conservative running attack again.  If Robinson continues his steady play, that leaves TH in very managable 3rd down scenarios which he is more than capable of operating in (especially with his mobility).

If TH stays in the rest of the season, I think going 4-3 in the next 7 games is a realistic possibility.  That would make the WC a possible playoff contender, give TH a season record of 7-4 and give RR his best record to date with the needle pointing up for 2023 for a possible return.  Maybe TH would give WC a homer deal if/when he resigns since he is very loyal to RR and ST and knows their offense very well.  But then again maybe not. 

There is the potential for TH to be a starter somewhere else.  The "elite" QB's have suddenly looked very old (TB, RW, AR, DC) which suggest a "changing of the guard" and the perrenial bottom dwellers (Detroit, Texans) might be interested in TH as a starter to drum up interest with their fanbase (this happen with Washington in terms of Kellen Clemens and then again with Fitzpatrick who were other teams backup QB the year before).  Therefore, there is a good possibility of numerous starting QB realignment for numerous teams next year. 

Furthermore, there's a good crop of QBs coming out next draft.  If I were a GM, I'd want to get a solid backup QB to go along with the rookie who would stabilize the team while the rookie is learning as a backup and to be a good teacher for the rookie once they do start.  Because of this there's always the potential that TH could be someone else's backup, the question is would TH move on to another team as the backup if he was given the opportunity to get elite backup QB money (5-7M).  He's making 2.75M right now so he might jump for the money if WC tries to low ball him.

At this time TH is a marketable commodity and is a fan favorite.  It's pretty bad when your backup QB is the face WC decides to show FedEx Field in ads for 2023 season tickets.  So I guess that means TH is the face of the team?  You'd think for that reason WC would figure out a way to get his extension done yesterday. 

I wouldn't put it past RR and his crew of general managers to somehow screw this up.  RR showed an impressive lack of tact with the T. Williams situation who was a fan favorite and probably the best player to be in a skins/WFT/Commanders uniform in the past 10 years and is still kicking serious butt for the 49ers. 

Edited by smithmal

On 11/15/2022 at 12:08 AM, SoCalSkins said:

You beat an 8-0 team, you get an extension. Especially after beating Brady and Rogers. I will call out you losers individually later for your lack of vision and straight stupidity but for now wow. Let’s go Heinicke!!!

You bit yourself in the ass with this last season. During the win streak you were talking about extending him for several years for 10m per year or something along those lines. Then he stunk up the joint and there was no more of that talk.

Now you're back with more of it...after 1 game (where he threw for 211 yards 0 TDs and 1 INT).

Maybe we should wait and see how the rest of the season plays out before thinking about whether or not to extend him.

That being said, if they're likely going to jettison Wentz, then it would make sense to extend him as a good backup.

• Thumb up 1

33 minutes ago, mistertim said:

You bit yourself in the ass with this last season. During the win streak you were talking about extending him for several years for 10m per year or something along those lines. Then he stunk up the joint and there was no more of that talk.

Now you're back with more of it...after 1 game (where he threw for 211 yards 0 TDs and 1 INT).

Maybe we should wait and see how the rest of the season plays out before thinking about whether or not to extend him.

That being said, if they're likely going to jettison Wentz, then it would make sense to extend him as a good backup.

You don't get to talk about QB after your Jason Campbell fan boy defenses! 😂

On the other hand, a bourbon blackout induced post after beating an 8-0 team on MNF is acceptable. Thems the rules.

• 2 weeks later...