Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taylor Heinicke Extension?


smithmal
 Share

Recommended Posts

Regardless of how you feel about Heinicke as a starter I think any rational person can agree that he's a darn good backup.  He check all the boxes for a good backup including:

1. Good grasp of the offense

2. Good ability to come in cold and win a game

3. Has shown good ability to win games in short spurts when starter is injured

4. Good leadership and is well liked

5. Good in the QB room (i.e. no huge ego)

6. Not too inexpensive

 

His contract is up at the end of this year.  At this point I would think Heinicke should be considered at least a top 10 (if not top 5) backup QB in the NFL and as we all know every team needs a strong backup QB to get them through an entire grueling NFL season.

 

I think the Commanders should be working feverishly to get his extension done now (like yesterday).  I would think Heinicke would be open to an extension since he has a certain amount of loyalty to Rivera and Turner and since he has so much knowledge of the Turner offense. 

 

Thoughts?

 

What would you pay him?  He's probably worth 5 MIL a year to lock him in.

 

Here's the top backup QB salaries:

 

10 Highest-Paid Backup NFL QBs of 2022

(Average Annual Salary)

Player   Team     Avg. Annual $

Sam Darnold      CAR        $7,561,929

Mitch Trubisky  PIT          $7,142,500

Jimmy Garoppolo            SF           $7,000,000

Teddy Bridgewater          MIA       $6,500,000

Case Keenum    BUF        $6,000,000

Tyrod Taylor       NYG       $5,500,000

Mason Rudolph PIT          $5,080,000

Jacoby Brissett  CLE         $4,650,000

Joe Flacco            NYJ         $3,500,000

Nick Foles            IND        $3,100,000

 

*Rankings are subject to change week-to-week as teams sign new players.

 

https://boardroom.tv/highest-paid-backup-qb-nfl-2022/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think anyone's gonna be going for Heinicke in the offseason even as a backup, plus he probably wants to stay here. If they want him back they can do something in the offseason and I bet it gets done. They'll probably let him test the market first, confident in that he won't get too many offers...and if he does, they won't be hard to beat.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, smithmal said:

Regardless of how you feel about Heinicke as a starter I think any rational person can agree that he's a darn good backup.  He check all the boxes for a good backup including:

1. Good grasp of the offense

2. Good ability to come in cold and win a game

3. Has shown good ability to win games in short spurts when starter is injured

4. Good leadership and is well liked

5. Good in the QB room (i.e. no huge ego)

6. Not too inexpensive

 

His contract is up at the end of this year.  At this point I would think Heinicke should be considered at least a top 10 (if not top 5) backup QB in the NFL and as we all know every team needs a strong backup QB to get them through an entire grueling NFL season.

 

I think the Commanders should be working feverishly to get his extension done now (like yesterday).  I would think Heinicke would be open to an extension since he has a certain amount of loyalty to Rivera and Turner and since he has so much knowledge of the Turner offense. 

 

Thoughts?

 

What would you pay him?  He's probably worth 5 MIL a year to lock him in.

 

Here's the top backup QB salaries:

 

10 Highest-Paid Backup NFL QBs of 2022

(Average Annual Salary)

Player   Team     Avg. Annual $

Sam Darnold      CAR        $7,561,929

Mitch Trubisky  PIT          $7,142,500

Jimmy Garoppolo            SF           $7,000,000

Teddy Bridgewater          MIA       $6,500,000

Case Keenum    BUF        $6,000,000

Tyrod Taylor       NYG       $5,500,000

Mason Rudolph PIT          $5,080,000

Jacoby Brissett  CLE         $4,650,000

Joe Flacco            NYJ         $3,500,000

Nick Foles            IND        $3,100,000

 

*Rankings are subject to change week-to-week as teams sign new players.

 

https://boardroom.tv/highest-paid-backup-qb-nfl-2022/

 

Wentz about to be the highest paid backup. Sure, bring back Heinicke. If Howell's the guy, I'd feel pretty comfortable if he was the backup. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't see the point with Sam Howell on a cheap rookie contract for the next 3 years after this season.  Howell has Taylors mobility and a much stronger arm.  I think the commanders will redo Wentz contract on a much cheaper deal next year build him an Oline and have Howell as a fail safe.  Someone will pay Taylor decent money to be a backup next year

  • Thumb down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Nice, a 3rd QB thread.

 

You coulda just asked in one of those, so everyone could just say no and move on.

 

Didn't you rename that QB thread to Tay Nay Nay so this thread is about Tay Yay Yay lol

 

Edited by zCommander
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Extend him at a fair and reasonable price.  We are not keeping Wentz even on a cheaper contract.  He is headed for his fourth team in 4 years.

Taylor and Turner have been together a long time so he understands the system better than Wentz can ever get it.  Riverboat Ron needs to ship

Wentz out so the owner and the fans will forget about the wasteful contract that was signed and the draft picks that we gave the Colts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I think it would be a real mistake to not extend Heinicke ASAP. 

 

With our continual O-line issues and lack of a consistant running game the fact is every year since Cousins left we've needed to rely on our backup.  Heinicke is proven he can win and b/c of his years of experience in the Turner offense he can be very effective with little to no 1st team reps coming in cold and has show durability.  Dallas is very lucky that things worked out the way they did with Cooper Rush when Prescott went out.  Their season has fallen apart in the past when they didn't have a decent backup (as well as a lot of other teams).  This is the 2nd season in a row that Heinike has had to go in and operate an offense with very little preparation beforehand.  Personally I think the backup QB is a very valuable position in today's NFL and should not be an afterthought.

 

I think everyone should be able to agree that Heinike is a very good backup QB and most likely will be picked up very quickly and paid good money in the offseason by another team if the WCs don't extend him beforehand.  

 

I say sign this guy now and figure out the Wentz/Howell role later.    

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, vegeta613 said:

Don't see the point with Sam Howell on a cheap rookie contract for the next 3 years after this season.  Howell has Taylors mobility and a much stronger arm.  I think the commanders will redo Wentz contract on a much cheaper deal next year build him an Oline and have Howell as a fail safe.  Someone will pay Taylor decent money to be a backup next year

Wentz wont be here

howell if he gets it will be the 3rd string

taylor if he signs for 2-3 mill will be the back up

Early draft pick or fa will be the starter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, smithmal said:

Regardless of how you feel about Heinicke as a starter I think any rational person can agree that he's a darn good backup.  He check all the boxes for a good backup including:

1. Good grasp of the offense

2. Good ability to come in cold and win a game

3. Has shown good ability to win games in short spurts when starter is injured

4. Good leadership and is well liked

5. Good in the QB room (i.e. no huge ego)

6. Not too inexpensive

 

 

 

I think there might be a double negative or something in there but I don't think that's what you meant to write??

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they draft a QB, Heinicke is the perfect QB mentor to have, especially if they keep Scott Turner around. The guy has the right attitude, has a mastery of this offense and aspires to be a coach one day. Heinicke, Howell and a rookie is the right way to go. Another 2 year extension for Heinicke makes sense

 

 

  • Thumb up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No amount of money will keep him here unless he believes he's gonna be the starter if he believes he can start elsewhere. 

 

Him being the starter in 2023 is forfeiting the season, Ron wouldn't of traded for Wentz if he wanted to try that again.

 

Taylor is leaving, enjoy it while it lasts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

No amount of money will keep him here unless he believes he's gonna be the starter if he believes he can start elsewhere. 

 

Him being the starter in 2023 is forfeiting the season, Ron wouldn't of traded for Wentz if he wanted to try that again.

 

Taylor is leaving, enjoy it while it lasts.

 

He knows no one is going to hand him a starter job or allow him to compete for it. Furthermore, he is unproven outside the Scott Turner system and he would need time to pick up a WCO system

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

No amount of money will keep him here unless he believes he's gonna be the starter if he believes he can start elsewhere. 

 

Him being the starter in 2023 is forfeiting the season, Ron wouldn't of traded for Wentz if he wanted to try that again.

 

Taylor is leaving, enjoy it while it lasts.

Perhaps I’m misinterpreting what you are saying, but are you suggesting that Taylor will be leaving, because another team will bring him in to compete for a starting position?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, method man said:

 

He knows no one is going to hand him a starter job or allow him to compete for it. Furthermore, he is unproven outside the Scott Turner system and he would need time to pick up a WCO system

 

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Perhaps I’m misinterpreting what you are saying, but are you suggesting that Taylor will be leaving, because another team will bring him in to compete for a starting position?

 

Yes, he's decent as a backup and they are a handful of QB situations that are ugly enough that he can at least serve as a stop gap.  Carolina is a mess, Colts are a mess, we bout to find out jus how bad Houston is ourselves. 

 

 Dude was damn near throwing up on himself last year because of how badly he didn't want to lose the chance to start, don't think he won't try elsewhere if he knows he can't start here.

 

We've gone out of our way to keep him from being the starter two seasons in a row, it's not about him being handed anything, it's about him getting the chance to play. And us being cap strapped, I'd rather that money go to oline then backup QB since Howell is here.

 

He's starting to remind me of Colt McCoy, yea he was Jay's dude, but he was right on that line of QBs you could consider as not jus a solid backup but someone to start the season until a rookie is able to take over if it came to that.  That's how he ended up with the Giants, Jones beat him out but when he got hurt Colt went in there and went 1-1.

 

There's nothing that at this point has convinced me Wentz won't be the starter in 2023.  God help us if Taylor is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...