Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taylor Heinicke Extension?

smithmal

I'm all for extending Heinicke for a couple of years. Maybe offer him 4-5 mil per year and let him test the market. If he gets a better offer then good for him, we could match it if the situation dictates and let him decide. I'm sure that he'd rather play for 4-5 mil than return to Team Couch.

I'm probably in the minority here but I'd like to see Wentz play again before completely cutting ties. The O-line has improved in recent weeks (it was difficult to get much worse) and he will have had 4-6 weeks more study time of the system. His lack of mobility is a real concern but I would like to be sure that he's done before bailing on him, mainly because it would be beneficial to go into the draft not having to get another QB if we didn't want to.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I'm all for extending Heinicke for a couple of years. Maybe offer him 4-5 mil per year and let him test the market. If he gets a better offer then good for him, we could match it if the situation dictates and let him decide. I'm sure that he'd rather play for 4-5 mil than return to Team Couch.

I'm probably in the minority here but I'd like to see Wentz play again before completely cutting ties. The O-line has improved in recent weeks (it was difficult to get much worse) and he will have had 4-6 weeks more study time of the system. His lack of mobility is a real concern but I would like to be sure that he's done before bailing on him, mainly because it would be beneficial to go into the draft not having to get another QB if we didn't want to.

i know some think it's premature to extend him, but as long as it's no more than a 2 year extension with a small pay raise of no more than 4 million...i'd be good with it. since i'm pretty confident ron will likely end up playing out the contract, i'd feel good about having taylor as a known quantity in the backup role throughout the remainder of ron's current contract (assuming scott is still his OC).

18 hours ago, KDawg said:

Having said all that, too many dismiss Howell because he was a fifth rounder.

There's also the fact that he was the first pick in the 5th round, one pick sooner and he's a 4th rounder which changes the subconscious perception of him.

There's a difference in potential between a guy who was expected to be a 6th or 7th rounder who gets nabbed at the end of the 5th round and a guy who many felt would be a 2nd or 3rd rounder and falls to the first pick in the 5th.

Both 5th round picks but very different circumstances. 

On 11/2/2022 at 9:40 AM, skinsfan93 said:

I’m not sure why we are even talking about extending Heinicke halfway through the season?  Can we wait till we see how the season pans out first? So those who want to extend Taylor, I assume you want him as your starter for the the next couple years.

I like Heinicke but believe we still need to continue to look for a true franchise qb whether through the draft, trade or free agency. Plus I’m not convinced that Taylor will have a boat load of teams ready to hand out a contract.  I get you want to get a jump start to keeping him under contract but we can’t and should not pay more than 5-8 million per year for a backup. 

The reason we're talking about extension now is after this season Heinike is an unrestricted free agent.  He can entertain any deal he wants at that point.  WC may very well be in total chaos by the beginning of next year in terms of questions about who will be the owner let alone the coach. 

In my mind you want two things:

1. You want to show TH he is of value to the organization (thus the extension)

2. If you want to keep him (which I still maintain he's a very good backup QB for his intangibles alone) you don't want him even have the opportunity to entertain other offers.  

3. We've got zero solutions for next year in terms of a starter QB

Most likely we're going to have a mediocre season again this year.  Ron is either going to want to put up a good show to keep his job with the new owner and/or impress other potential suitors if he leaves (so there goes draft potential).  Moreover no decent free agent is going to have any interest in coming here with all the chaos that will occur early next year due to the owner/potential coach issues.  

If you compare TH to the other backup QBs on the list I posted in the OP the only backup QB that i might choose over TH if Scott Turner is still around is Jimmy G and he's going to be pretty expensive and want to be a starter.

Edited by smithmal

4 minutes ago, smithmal said:

The reason we're talking about extension now is after this season Heinike is an unrestricted free agent.  He can entertain any deal he wants at that point.  WC may very well be in total chaos by the beginning of next year in terms of questions about who will be the owner let alone the coach. 

In my mind you want two things:

1. You want to show TH he is of value to the organization (thus the extension)

2. If you want to keep him (which I still maintain he's a very good backup QB for his intangibles alone) you don't want him even have the opportunity to entertain other offers.  

3. We've got zero solutions for next year in terms of a starter QB

Most likely we're going to have a mediocre season again this year.  Ron is either going to want to put up a good show to keep his job with the new owner and/or impress other potential suitors if he leaves (so there goes draft potential).  Moreover no decent free agent is going to have any interest in coming here with all the chaos that will occur early next year due to the owner/potential coach issues.  

If you compare TH to the other backup QBs on the list I posted in the OP the only backup QB that i might choose over TH if Scott Turner is still around is Jimmy G and he's going to be pretty expensive and want to be a starter.

This point is moot with the potential sale of the team. I know we are only talking about a backup qb contract but Ron can’t and won’t make any personnel decisions until it is settled. He may not be the man to authorize any personnel decisions i.e. we get a new GM. 

9 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

This point is moot with the potential sale of the team. I know we are only talking about a backup qb contract but Ron can’t and won’t make any personnel decisions until it is settled. He may not be the man to authorize any personnel decisions i.e. we get a new GM. 

If Ron feels there's a chance that he will still be here next year then he'll want continuity with his coaching staff and thus TH would be of value as a backup QB.  In terms of being fiscally responsible in terms of potentialing have a new owner, TH will be cheaper now (if we extend him) then if he becomes unrestricted.  Ron's plan for CW failed, he's got very little options in terms of finding a new replacement.  His only hope for creating any excitement for next year is that the team cements itself around TH and makes the playoffs.  Again, I'm not talking about TH being the starter, I'm talking about rewarding him for his backup QB play by offering him an extension.  TH is well liked by the team and the fanbase.  He will command little money in regards to an extension.  They can even write it so there little to no issue if/when they want to bail from TH. 

To me it just sounds like a win-win.

Edited by smithmal

21 minutes ago, smithmal said:

If Ron feels there's a chance that he will still be here next year then he'll want continuity with his coaching staff and thus TH would be of value as a backup QB.  In terms of being fiscally responsible in terms of potentialing have a new owner, TH will be cheaper now (if we extend him) then if he becomes unrestricted.  Ron's plan for CW failed, he's got very little options in terms of finding a new replacement.  His only hope for creating any excitement for next year is that the team cements itself around TH and makes the playoffs.  Again, I'm not talking about TH being the starter, I'm talking about rewarding him for his backup QB play by offering him an extension.  TH is well liked by the team and the fanbase.  He will command little money in regards to an extension.  They can even write it so there little to no issue if/when they want to bail from TH. 

To me it just sounds like a win-win.

Sorry I don’t buy this argument. If Ron wants to still be employed with the team as head coach, he should be more concerned with wins and losses this year, not about who’s contract is coming up and being fiscally responsible. 

27 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Sorry I don’t buy this argument. If Ron wants to still be employed with the team as head coach, he should be more concerned with wins and losses this year, not about who’s contract is coming up and being fiscally responsible. 

He's the coach AND President of the team.  He therefore needs to be thinking about the next game and the franchise moving forward. 

On 11/2/2022 at 10:09 AM, London Kev said:

Disagree with the O-Line getting better.  Their run blocking was horrid last game and last game saw the highest QB pressure so far this season.  1 sack for TH = 6 - 8 sacks for CW. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, smithmal said:

He's the coach AND President of the team.  He therefore needs to be thinking about the next game and the franchise moving forward. 

Hes the defunct GM and highly doubt if a new owner comes in he retains that position. 

Cmon man if you were Ron, what would you be concerned about if a new owner comes in? Showing them how you resigned an above average qb at a reasonable contract or that you fought for a wild card spot and have the team headed in the right direction?

37 minutes ago, smithmal said:

Disagree with the O-Line getting better.  Their run blocking was horrid last game and last game saw the highest QB pressure so far this season.  1 sack for TH = 6 - 8 sacks for CW. 

If you compare the first four games with the second four games, they've improved in sacks allowed, QB hits allowed, tackles for loss allowed and rush yards. I'd say that was them getting better.

OLineStats.png.f4c3b4491f9e1664e014ed49706aae9d.png