Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

12 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I've been here before.  Refusing to get excited.  Same vibes with Shanny, Gruden, Rivera, new coaches with great press conferences and great first impressions and I've fallen for it before.  

That's not to say I don't understand the excitement, I do.  But I'm not getting my hopes up for great results.  This is the place where hope goes to die.

That's the spirit. Stay Medium. 

image.png.e3ba572aa44e7871153bd5ce92337bc1.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

If its a new owner, that alone, makes this coming season night and day different IMO.

This is a better team than what Shanny and Gruden and Rivera inherited.  We are coming off of an 8-8 season with the worst Qb play or close enough in the NFL.  The #3 ranked defense.  Good weapons.  Fix the O line and develop a young QB.

The vibe to me feels totally different than what Shanny, Gruden, and Rivera inherited which were 4-12, 3-13, 3-13 seasons. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 3

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We are coming off of an 8-8 season with the worst Qb play or close enough in the NFL.  The #3 ranked defense.  Good weapons.  Fix the O line and develop a young QB.

8-8-1 🤭

I concur tho. This team has talent in a lot of areas. Which is why it's so ridiculous to keep reading folks posts about how we're basically an expansion team on the verge of being condemned. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

8-8-1 🤭

I concur tho. This team has talent in a lot of areas. Which is why it's so ridiculous to keep reading folks posts about how we're basically an expansion team on the verge of being condemned. 

The expansion team thing gets brought up due to the changing of the name

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

It seems very clear EB has been given several assurances, all with some degree of caveat in reality. The complete lack of ‘Snyder’ in that press conference is massive. EB is a seriously significant hire of recent times. 

This move smacks of real forward thinking. Encouraging.

What assurances? All they can assure him is what that they can do on the roster this year. If they have a budget, he was informed of that. If it was proceed as normal despite pending sale, it was that. He and Ron talked about any staffing changes. Ron probably also said they will do what they can to improve the holes on the roster. After he reviews our roster, they will identify what we need.

Ron and Andy probably had conversations. EB got the position here, to give him a shot at a future head coaching job. He got a multi- year contract to give him financial cushion; especially since a new owner could clean house in 2024.  

They can’t guarantee what will happen under a new owner, so they can’t assure him anything about that.  So, they made an offer to entice him here and provide him that financial security.  

EB can’t lose.  If he improves the offense, he will be considered for coaching jobs. If not, he has that financial security and I don’t think failing here in 23 would go against him. They will just blame deep pit of Snyder, where no one can succeed here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Jumping the gun here, but this dude has HC written all over him. With that said, I hope that after having a productive year with this offense (God willing), we dont lose him to another team because they offered him a HC position, while we stick with the same mid level HC. We can't go down that road again. 

In all probability, this is only going to be a one, max two year deal.  This is a resume-padder for him, and a way to prove how good a coach he is outside Andy Reid's shadow so that he can take a head coaching job next year.  But this is an ultra-important year for us and for Ron Rivera because this is his chance to prove his regime to new ownership.  We need a big year and a great offense so we can win 10+ games and everyone can keep their jobs.  That's what this mutually beneficial partnership is all about.

Even if Bieniemy is only here for a year, it's never a detriment to have great coaches come in and work with your players and staff and add to your competitive culture.  We can worry about replacing him next year when/if we get to that bridge.  And there is also the chance that Rivera brought Bieniemy in to hand the reigns over too because he is looking towards retirement or taking a reduced role in the future.  A team president style job with an easier schedule similar to what Arians did in Tampa, but with a bigger role in the front office.

• Like 4

I'm excited to see what Bieniemy can do, but I'm pumping the brakes on the hype. I've never seen the hiring of an OC garner so much national attention, it's borderline ridiculous. I think the guy has a chance to do some good things here, but I'm also going to be realistic. This guy might be good or he might fail miserably- I don't know and I'm not going to be surprised either way. What I do know is that he didn't reinvent offensive football.

KC was a winning team long before he took over as OC in 2018 and they didn't get over the hump by winning championships until Mahomes became the starter in that same year of 2018. So, was it Bieniemy taking over as OC, Mahomes taking over as the starter or a combination of the two that got KC to the championship level? My money is on KC's five year run of success has been much more Mahomes than it has been Bieniemy.

This isn't a pee on the Bieniemy parade post. I'm glad he's getting a shot here and obviously, as a big Commander fan I want like hell for him to do well. I'm just a little more dubious than most and find the hype around the hire is more about a "story" than it is about we just hired one of the greatest offensive minds in NFL history, as it seems so many believe. 

• Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Ron is a coach. He’s not sliding over to the front office. Once he’s done coaching either voluntarily or not; he’s off to retirement unless he wants DC job again.

Ron could be setting things up for him to retire in 24 and have EB be his successor.

He’s literally in a joint position of HC/FO right now. 

• Haha 10

There wasn't anything that could happen today that would move me off "meh" in regards to EB.

Heck of a risk to take when everyone's jobs are on the line in the face of new ownership. If it works, you save your job, If it don't, everybody's jobbed, and that is a dangerous time to go boom/bust.

Don't love the move, but don't hate it either. Hope it works

I'd rather avoid looking down the barrel of a total teardown.

42 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Ron is a coach. He’s not sliding over to the front office. Once he’s done coaching either voluntarily or not; he’s off to retirement unless he wants DC job again.

Ron could be setting things up for him to retire in 24 and have EB be his successor.

Danny on Grant and Danny said Ron is outstanding in the relationship regards. This is the best thing about Ron Rivera. While other coaches are doing whatever he is making arounds at the SB and shaking hands and "kissing babies" and that is his best quality. He is really strong at relationship stuff that is why he was able to get EB here.

Danny also said that he might not be good at going for it on 4th down or calling TO but he is really good at this relationship stuff. 

So, yeah, I can see him as a GM here and making EB the coach with new ownership. The new ownership has to be impressed with what he has been able to do. Getting EB from a team that won two SB in the last 5 years and went to AFC Championship in all of those 5 years as well. So, if EB has a great year this year that resume for Ron looks hell of lot better too. 

Why would you want to retire without at least trying to do whatever it takes to at least get a SB ring first. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

There wasn't anything that could happen today that would move me off "meh" in regards to EB.

Be honest, you went for run after the press conference. 

Heck of a risk to take when everyone's jobs are on the line in the face of new ownership. If it works, you save your job, If it don't, everybody's jobbed, and that is a dangerous time to go boom/bust.

This is the reality of most NFL coaches and FOs, especially in year 4. Ownership situation is another wrinkle, but Ron’s feet are to the fire in any organization with same circumstances. 

Don't love the move, but don't hate it either. Hope it works

I'd rather avoid looking down the barrel of a total teardown. 

How was your run?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

Be honest, you went for run after the press conference. 

Didn't watch it. I feel informed enough just reading the press clippings and tweets.

I don't really care a lot about what he says in a press conference. There is nothing in there that would change the reasoning of why I feel "meh" about him. I want to see what he does with his work installing the O and calling plays, and that comes down the line.

If it turns out he can do those things, then I'll be hyped for him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Didn't watch it. I feel informed enough just reading the press clippings and tweets.

I don't really care a lot about what he says in a press conference. There is nothing in there that would change the reasoning of why I feel "meh" about him. I want to see what he does with his work installing the O and calling plays, and that comes down the line.

If it turns out he can do those things, then I'll be hyped for him.

If you didn't watch the whole thing then you can't form an intellectual opinion about it. He put a notice on all the players by saying I don't look at the players stats and we don't have to be perfect but the players has to execute and the only letters that matter at the end of the game are W and L. I highly doubt Turner did this or held the players to a higher standards. 

Here is the link to the whole presser if you care to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBWEbYVjt7E

Btw, this not me trying to hype EB. I would like to see the results on the field as well. I think it is still a better hire than some other OCs. 

• Like 3