Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

3 minutes ago, zCommander said:

If you didn't watch the whole thing then you can't form an intellectual opinion about it.

I don't have an opinion about the presser, other than it can't do anything to change my "meh" stance by its nature of only being a presser.

Everything I've touched on is in regards to his hiring and history w/ KC, which has nothing to do with a welcome press conference, and direct responses to tweets and pics.

Unless that dude took the time during the presser to call a game there is nothing in there that would change my opinion of the hire.

I'd watch him call a game of Madden tho.

5 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I don't have an opinion about the presser, other than it can't do anything to change my "meh" stance by its nature of only being a presser.

Everything I've touched on is in regards to his hiring and history w/ KC, which has nothing to do with a welcome press conference, and direct responses to tweets and pics.

Unless that dude took the time during the presser to call a game there is nothing in there that would change my opinion of the hire.

I'd watch him call a game of Madden tho.

Tempered expectations. I get it. Was there an OC you would have had more than 'meh' response instead?

29 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Why because of what he did with Purdy? But, why couldn't he do anything with Herbert though? 

Herbert balled in 2020. He put up 4.3K and 31 TDs and was O rook of the year. The Chargers went 7-9 w/ a D that gave up 26+ points a game and Lynn got canned.

But its not about what he did with QBs for me. I'm looking at a combination of:

-Worked under a fantastic offensive head coach in Kyle

-He is Black so if he does turn it around and gets hired as a HC we get draft picks

-Coming from a winning and well run org in San Fran

-I feel like 49ers offensive model is more applicable to our available talent than KCs

-Lynn has called plays b4

-Lynn has installed his own Offense b4 at NFL level

-Lynn has been the lead guy installing an O at NFL level

-Lynn has been a HC

-Lynn has a winning record as a HC

-He is minus the baggage of EB so he may face an easier pathway to getting a future HC job

plus Lynn represents a bankable factor. He has done this before, your not asking him to do something he has never done. You can feel some level of confidence in him that he can do these things.

A guy like that you can feel comfort in him coming in and getting the job done, and that does something very positive when the entire staff has the blade of Damocles dangling over their heads.

Where EB is equal parts exciting and terrifying, getting me to around net zero or "meh", Lynn would be significantly leaning in a positive direction. Even if EB has a higher ceiling, it does not matter if it is offset by an equally deep floor in this situation.

There is a lot to like about EB. There is simply a lot of things to give pause about as well as he is a tremendous Boom/Bust prospect as someone who lacks the history of doing a lot of the things he will be doing here.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just catching up on everything and pressers are typically meaningless but what I like about what EB stressed was the importance of getting familiar with the players so he can understand how to coach them.  It sounds like a simple concept but it's not something I hear other coaches talk about in their intro pressers.

Anyone who has coached whether it's business professionals or sports has to understand you can't approach everyone the same way and that seems to be a big point of emphasis for him.  It at least tells me he gets it.

He seems like a high-energy individual and IMO those personality types make the best coaches, there are exceptions but they are exceptions not typically the rule. It's a complete 180 from listening to Scott whisper into the mic at his pressers.

It all means nothing unless we get results but I like the energy and his approach to coaching.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Herbert balled in 2020. He put up 4.3K and 31 TDs and was O rook of the year. The Chargers went 7-9 w/ a D that gave up 26+ points a game and Lynn got canned.

But its not about what he did with QBs for me. I'm looking at a combination of:

-Worked under a fantastic offensive head coach in Kyle

-He is Black so if he does turn it around and gets hired as a HC we get draft picks

-Coming from a winning and well run org in San Fran

-I feel like 49ers offensive model is more applicable to our available talent than KCs

-Lynn has called plays b4

-Lynn has installed his own Offense b4 at NFL level

-Lynn has been the lead guy installing an O at NFL level

-Lynn has been a HC

-Lynn has a winning record as a HC

-He is minus the baggage of EB so he may face an easier pathway to getting a future HC job

plus Lynn represents a bankable factor. He has done this before, your not asking him to do something he has never done. You can feel some level of confidence in him that he can do these things.

A guy like that you can feel comfort in him coming in and getting the job done, and that does something very positive when the entire staff has the blade of Damocles dangling over their heads.

Where EB is equal parts exciting and terrifying, getting me to around net zero or "meh", Lynn would be significantly leaning in a positive direction. Even if EB has a higher ceiling, it does not matter if it is offset by an equally deep floor in this situation.

There is a lot to like about EB. There is simply a lot of things to give pause about as well as he is a tremendous Boom/Bust prospect as someone who lacks the history of doing a lot of the things he will be doing here.

Lynn sucks and I question whether he gets another OC job in the league. His stint with the Lions illustrates. He got the job because of the old Cowboys connection with Dan Campbell. He then proceeded to lead a very sucky offense in which Goff looked terrible. Once Ben Johnson replaced him later in the year, their O looked better and then exploded this season with minimal additions this year

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Anyone who has coached whether it's business professionals or sports has to understand you can't approach everyone the same way and that seems to be a big point of emphasis for him.  It at least tells me he gets it.

Yep that was a key point I picked up on. And that applies to any form of management whether that is in sport or not. Understand the people working for you. It seems obvious but many people can’t grasp the fact the people are different. They all tick differently. You have to unlock people’s strengths differently. Love that point he made.

• Like 3

I'm asking for those looking for a silver lining here (I'm coming around to EB though I must admit). What's the deal with the Compensation Draft Picks if he does go to be a HC somewhere else? Do we get them? It's two third rounders I believe, I just don't know the conditions for receiving them.

30 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

I'm asking for those looking for a silver lining here (I'm coming around to EB though I must admit). What's the deal with the Compensation Draft Picks if he does go to be a HC somewhere else? Do we get them? It's two third rounders I believe, I just don't know the conditions for receiving them.

I heard that he would have to be here for two years before we’d be eligible for the pick(s).

edit: Al Galdi podcast is where I heard this

Edited by woodpecker
  • Thanks 1

Why the Commanders believe they got their guy in Eric Bieniemy

“He brings that championship caliber with him, his ability to just win,” said wide receiver Terry McLaurin, who sat in the front row of the team’s auditorium with nearly a dozen of his teammates during Thursday’s news conference. “That’s the biggest thing we want in this offense, to be explosive, to be aggressive and to be complementary, but also to have an identity, and I think he brings that. He brings that competitiveness.”

...“We’ve got our guy,” Coach Ron Rivera said Thursday. “It was a very long process … and that was on purpose. We wanted to be very thorough, wanted to get the opportunity to get to meet a lot of [candidates]. … And Eric Bieniemy just happened to be very busy at the time.”

Upon arriving in the D.C. area last week, Bieniemy met with Rivera and General Manager Martin Mayhew, spoke to team president Jason Wright and talked to all of Washington’s assistant coaches to start to implement his vision for the offense.

“Most importantly, I wanted to sit and have an opportunity to talk to everybody and just listen so I can learn the culture and learn what has taken place and learn the environment, and I think that’s very important when you’re coming into a new position,” Bieniemy said. “You want creative coaches. You also want people who can relate to the people and adapt to the environment in that room. You got to have that connection.”

“It was to go beyond what I’m used to and what we had done in the past,” Rivera said. “I mean, we had basically the same style of offense for 12 years. But watching [the Chiefs] on TV and seeing them in the playoffs and just thinking: ‘Man, we have pretty good talent. I think we can do a lot of the things they’re doing.'”

Rivera spoke to Andy Reid about Bieniemy’s coaching style and role in Kansas City and to others who worked with Bieniemy over the years. Rivera also kept some of his players, including McLaurin and Howell, abreast of the team’s search, and he closed the process with the belief Washington got the right man for the job.

In their initial conversations, Bieniemy and Rivera spoke about Washington’s roster and Howell’s potential. They spoke about Brian Robinson Jr. and the running game, the growth of the tight ends and the team’s trio of wide receivers: McLaurin, Curtis Samuel and Jahan Dotson. They also discussed some of the unit’s weaknesses and ways to solidify the roster.

...“He talked about this plan for Terry and his plan for Jahan and his plan for Curtis and how he felt about the running game. He had an idea of where he wanted to go,” Rivera said.

Over the past five offseasons, Bieniemy has interviewed 16 times (twice with the New York Jets) for head coaching vacancies and was turned down for all of them. A week before Bieniemy was hired, Rivera indicated he hoped to give him an opportunity to run his own offense and, perhaps, move closer to a head-coaching job.

On Thursday, Bieniemy said his focus is on leading the Commanders’ offense, not the “distractions” from outside. He said his concern is preparing his players and coaches and letting Wright and others manage the news of a possible franchise sale. He said a future as a head coach “will take care of itself.”

“Right now, the only thing that matters is who we are and where we are,” Bieniemy said. “... There is talent here. Now we have to put it together and do it the right way. But why not come to the Washington Commanders?”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/02/23/eric-bieniemy-commanders-offense/

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, method man said:

I don't have any difficulty saying Lynn's positives drastically outweighs his negatives.

No candidate is flawless, but Lynn's resume speaks for itself.

He is currently the assistant head coach in a good org, he will likely get more cracks in the batting cage in the future.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

“It was to go beyond what I’m used to and what we had done in the past,” Rivera said. “I mean, we had basically the same style of offense for 12 years. But watching [the Chiefs] on TV and seeing them in the playoffs and just thinking: ‘Man, we have pretty good talent. I think we can do a lot of the things they’re doing.'”

I don't know how I screwed up the formatting here quite so badly, so forgive me. 

But I think this quote right here is probably the most important thing. Part of me had been worried that Bieniemy was so starved for a chance to prove himself that he signed with us thinking that he could make it work without he and Ron really being on the same page. It wasn't more than a few weeks ago that Ron was talking that, run first, run second, run last talk and I really didn't want the old RB coach/player to come here willing to play that kind of ball game because it was his shot to stand out by himself and prove himself. The fact that Ron seems to be adjusting his opinion on what makes a productive NFL offense is a good sign. Though I wonder how long it lasts if the QB struggles early or in general things dont start off great. He (ron) seems to believe in the pass until it doesnt work and then runs the air out of the ball. I want to believe that was a Scott Turner thing......but im not sure if I honestly believe that or not. 

We will see I guess. But it sounds good right now. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Llevron said:

We will see I guess. But it sounds good right now. 

That's usually when we shine. I love the hire, it's obviously the best one we've had since McVay. But we are still a reverse carwash, until proven otherwise. I want to see it on the field before I get all jacked up.

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

@HigSkin Anything on Greg Lewis coming over to coach with EB from the Chiefs or any other coaches that might be signing to work with EB?  Thanks in advance. :) 

Somebody asked Fowler about Greg Lewis and he did not respond.  Not sure how he's getting info but seems to be on top of this teams coaching moves.  Interesting...but I suspect they would need to move other coaches out or around first.  We'll see.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1