Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

πŸ˜€πŸ˜€ Ron fired days ago. Mission Accomplished.πŸ˜€πŸ˜„

88Comrade2000

21 hours ago, Conn said:

I mean it was put together to get reactions obviously but at the same timeβ€”seems pretty damn accurate to me. What exactly do you disagree with to the extreme point that it’s β€œone of the dumbest lists” you’ve ever seen? Obviously you could quibble but it’s way closer to reality than not imo. Way too reasonable to be hit with the description you gave it.Β 

Β 

It's just a QB Q rating tier list.

24 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Β 

I don't think it's a matter of won't, but can't. Ron is on watch. Contract or no contract, the new ownership won't allow a potential lame-duck coach to trade or dump assets that could possibly hold value for the next GM/coach, unless they approve it.

Young and sweat are on expiring contracts

39 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ron’s presser yesterday was appalling.

Β 

I just heard it in full. Β Yowza. Just horrendous .

Cliffsnotes? I didn’t have the heart to listen for more than a minute or twoΒ 

33 minutes ago, Conn said:

Cliffsnotes? I didn’t have the heart to listen for more than a minute or twoΒ 

It reminded me an awful lot of the absolutely infamous "self-scout" presser Callahan did in 2019.Β  There was a lot of "we looked at stuff, found things we want to fix."Β Β 

Β 

General points:

- Spent a lot of time on Friday in the "self-scout."Β  It was the longest day, longer than Saturday or Sunday.Β  (I literally don't care about this, I'm not sure why he said it, but he made a real point that they spent a lot of time on Friday watching film and doing a self-scout.)

Β 

- They have a lot of young guys and they make mistakes. He keeps bringing up they have a young team.Β  They have 1 rookie playing who got benched.Β  I'm not sure he realizes anybody halfway paying attention realizes that while the overall team is young, it's actually kindof a veteran group at this point. This excuse rings extremely hollow.

Β 

- A whole lot of "Ronese" where sounds come out of his mouth and he says not much of anything.

Β 

- The absolute most egregious part, and it isn't even close, was covered in the Sam Howell thread, but I didn't get the full context until I heard the presser.Β Β 

Β 

Ben Standig asked a heck of a good question (Paraphrased): "There is a lot of criticism about the draft picks not playing and the FA you signed this off-season not playing well.Β  Can you respond to that."

Β 

Answer: "Well, a lot of if has to do with the fact we're playing a young Quarterback, and as he improves, we'll improve." (VOR parenthetical, he just ignored the question entirely)

Β 

Follow-up: "Well, those guys like Barton and Wylie, are you getting what you expected out of them?"
Β 

Answer: "They're figuring out what we do."

Β 

Completely blew off the question about the rookies not playing, kindof just shifted the conversation to Howell and hoped people would forget the question.Β  I don't think he BLAMED Howell for anything, just didn't answer the question asked at all.Β 

Β 

The whole thing was just very disjointed, kept going back to the self-scout.Β  Thinks they can get things fixed.Β  Yadda Yadda Yadda.

Β 

My strongest objection was the non-answer on the draft pick question and the re-routing to Howell.Β  That was offputting.Β Β 

Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Β 

Β 

My strongest objection was the non-answer on the draft pick question and the re-routing to Howell.Β  That was offputting.Β Β 

Β 

Β 

In fairness to him, its difficult to answer that question without throwing the draft picks under the bus.Β  If he took responsibility and said we messed up and drafted guys who are not as good as we thought, he would be taking responsibility, but he would also be insulting the draft picks, which he cannot really do.Β  Β He could give an answer with a lot of coach speak about how different guys are in different phases of development, but if the truth is the picks are not as good as they hoped, he really cannot say that because it insults the players.

• Like 1

If, by week 6 of the regular season*, you're still trying to figure out player substitutions/rotations or whatever nonsense RR spewed in the post -game presser, then you need to be sitting at home on Sundays, Mondays and Thursdays watching the games on tv like millions of other football fans.

Β 

* In year 4 of your regime

• Like 4

I think we beat the Falcons and Giants and things get quiet, but in the end I think we finish 7-10 or 8-9 and Rivera is fired at the end of the season.

Β 

And I absolutely am fine with not firing Ron Rivera until the end of the season.Β  Β I think that would be a bad sign if the owner did any impetuous.Β  Let the season play out and unfold how it will, the time to make the move will be this offseason.Β  If the team makes the playoffs that probably buys Rivera another year, but honestly the odds of that happening are maybe like 20%, so its not the most likely outcome.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Β 

Β 

- The absolute most egregious part, and it isn't even close, was covered in the Sam Howell thread, but I didn't get the full context until I heard the presser.Β Β 

Β 

Ben Standig asked a heck of a good question (Paraphrased): "There is a lot of criticism about the draft picks not playing and the FA you signed this off-season not playing well.Β  Can you respond to that."

Β 

Answer: "Well, a lot of if has to do with the fact we're playing a young Quarterback, and as he improves, we'll improve." (VOR parenthetical, he just ignored the question entirely)

Β 

Β 

Makes perfect sense, I have said many times that we wont fix the LB position until we have a solid QB, both positions are very dependent on each other.

Β 

I have believed since TC that Ron will not be released until after the season....beginning to have second thoughts about that especially if it continues to be an embarrassment on the field and it starts to impact revenue.

37 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I think we beat the Falcons and Giants and things get quiet, but in the end I think we finish 7-10 or 8-9 and Rivera is fired at the end of the season.

Β 

And I absolutely am fine with not firing Ron Rivera until the end of the season.Β  Β I think that would be a bad sign if the owner did any impetuous.Β  Let the season play out and unfold how it will, the time to make the move will be this offseason.Β  If the team makes the playoffs that probably buys Rivera another year, but honestly the odds of that happening are maybe like 20%, so its not the most likely outcome.

Β 

What about EB?Β 

Β 

Shouldn't he be evaluated before we just decide to hand over the keys to him? Only way to do that is to dismiss Ron mid-season.

The walls are closing in. He’s just making any kind of excuse at this point. Really think being in a softer market like Carolina made him think that fans and media are dumber than they really are. How can you say that statement with a straight face when I can easily pull information saying all of your best players are grizzled vets at this point?Β 
Β 

And yes your QB is young but again, that was YOUR decision to live and die with a rookie.Β 

All Ron needs is a solid dozen years to turn this ship around.Β  I'm so sick of this guy. He gets all this praise for keeping the team together under the evil Snyder regime...hell, Gruden made the playoffs when things were their absolute worst. Rivera hand picked these GMs (who the hell has 2 of them) which just had a historically bad draft and he won't admit any faults, its just "I need more time".

Edited by mojo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Β 

What about EB?Β 

Β 

Shouldn't he be evaluated before we just decide to hand over the keys to him? Only way to do that is to dismiss Ron mid-season.

EB isn’t being handed anything. He will get a chance to interview for the job but so will several candidates and the gm

will pick the new guy.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

This isn't the 70s or 80s where it might take five years to turn a team around. Teams go from dog doo doo to contenders in like 2 years now(see the Lions, Dolphins to name a couple).

The problem is that Rivera is still on that 5-year plan.Β  He was able to get guys like Terry, John Allen, and Payne re-signed, but he and that FO has no draft strategy.Β  They may or may not get the QB position right with Sam.Β  They are way behind the times.

• Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

This isn't the 70s or 80s where it might take five years to turn a team around. Teams go from dog doo doo to contenders in like 2 years now(see the Lions, Dolphins to name a couple).

Β 

Preach!

Β 

If you have a good GM and a good coach, you can turn it around fast. We, unfortunately, got the RR position flex bundle package of mediocrity. RR wouldn't have been able to pull this wool over any other owner's eyes.

6 hours ago, philibusters said:

Β 

In fairness to him, its difficult to answer that question without throwing the draft picks under the bus.Β  If he took responsibility and said we messed up and drafted guys who are not as good as we thought, he would be taking responsibility, but he would also be insulting the draft picks, which he cannot really do.Β  Β He could give an answer with a lot of coach speak about how different guys are in different phases of development, but if the truth is the picks are not as good as they hoped, he really cannot say that because it insults the players.

I’ll tell you what he could have done though, say anything other than what he said. There was no reason whatsoever to brung up Sam in response to that question. Β It was egregious. Β 
Β 

Ron has made a fine living here saying a whole lot without saying anything, but he caught a bad case of foot-in-mouth disease sometime in the last year or so. Β This response takes the whole bakery though.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

Not even trying to defend ron in general but what exactly do you want or expect him to say?Β 
Β 

Yeah we bombed addressing the oline this off-season and wish we’d drafted different players?
Β 

I’m just trying to figure out what response would satisfy folks while at the same time isn’t throwing either players or organization members under the bus which also isn’t helpful. Coach speak is frustrating but I don’t really know what people are looking for here.Β 

6 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

This coaching is totally @ss.Β  I want to let things to play out for themselves and let things play out and let Rivera' and Co.'s poor record speak for itself and it will be cause alone for their firing.

Β 

Let's just accept the fact that Ron's biggest W here was defeating cancer.

In comparison, everything else must be for him pretty trivial.

Β 

Save for a lucky break in the strangest season ever due to the flu (and finding a very un-orthodox QB that surprised everyone in the League in another) his coaching has been subpar.

Β 

Time to move on.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, moondog said:

Not even trying to defend ron in general but what exactly do you want or expect him to say?Β 
Β 

Yeah we bombed addressing the oline this off-season and wish we’d drafted different players?
Β 

I’m just trying to figure out what response would satisfy folks while at the same time isn’t throwing either players or organization members under the bus which also isn’t helpful. Coach speak is frustrating but I don’t really know what people are looking for here.Β 

Coach speak Is saying a lot without saying anything. Β Ron was asked a specific question about rookies and free agents not playing well. Β Sam is not a rookie nor a free agent. Β There was absolutely no reason to bring him up, other than his default excuse when he has to explain why this team sucks is that we are starting a young QB. Β 

10 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Everyone is piling on Rivera here. But he has shown me new ways to approach my performance reviews.

Β Boss: Ball Security, you’ve allocated many resources on the project, but behind on the timeline. Β Can you explain what’s transpired?

Β 

Ball Security: Well, the barista in the cafe is new, and as she pours more coffee, the better we will be.

Β 

Β 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1