Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jay really likes the weapons on this offense.  For starters he thinks it will be too much for Jax to handle in week 1.  Though he does think his 2016 roster had a better roster on offense versus this one. 

That's actually a good question:

WR:

McLaurin, Dotson, Samuel vs. Garcon, DJax, Crowder...

I think the 2022 group has more speed overall, because Garcon didn't have good top-end speed at that point.  But DJax is the most explosive guy by far on either group.  Samuel is better than Crowder, assuming he plays. It's really tough, because they are different.  I think the 2022 group could be more consistent. It's so hard because of DJax.  I think McLaurin is a better receiver overall than DJax, but what DJax could do, nobody on the 2022 can do, which is completely take the top off a defense.  Also, Dotson is a rookie, so anything we think about him is all potential.  

Really close.  I think I prefer the consistency of the 2022 group by a REALLY REALLY thin sliver, but wouldn't complain either way.  (I do think the personalities on the 2022 group are more team oriented than the 2016 group, for whatever that matters.  Less Diva WR...)  

TE: 

Paulsen, Bates, Turner vs. Reed, Davis and Carrier.  whooo-weeee.  The question is obviously Reed's healthy.  When he's out there, he's the best of the group, and it's not that close.  And Davis, even though he was later in his career, was proven, and was very good.  Bates is probably the best blocker of the group.  And Turner is a rookie.  

I think I give the nod to the 2016 group here.  And pray Reed is healthy.

RB: 

Brian Robinson, Gibson, McKissic, Williams vs. Robert Kelley, Matt Jones, Mack Brown and Chris Thompson.

This one is pretty easy: 2022.  With all due respect to Chris Thompson, who I really liked.  But McKissic is probably about the same as Thompson.  And frankly, Rob Kelley, Matt Jones and Mac Brown weren't that good.  

OL: 

Leno, Norwell, Rouiller, Schweitzer, Cosmi vs. Trent Williams, Lauvao, Lichtensteiger , Scherff, Moses.

CLEARLY the 2 best OL of the entire group are Trent Williams and Brandon Scherff, so that probably gives the nod to 2016.  

However, Ron cut Moses for Cosmi, so at least in his mind Cosmi is better than Moses.  Luavao and Lichty both were not good.  Rouiller is clearly the better sister, Norwell is better at LG, most likely.

I think I'd still go 2016, but they had probably the 2 weakest links.  I think the 2022 group, the top end is nowhere what Trent and Brandon are, but they also don't have a Luavao and Lichty int he group either.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jamin Davis is making progress. The Commanders need that to continue.

For some reason, this article reminded me of the lyrics to The Beatles' "Getting Better";)

"I've got to admit it's getting better 
A little better all the time

(It can't get no worse)"

:229:The Rook

1 hour ago, The Rook said:

For some reason, this article reminded me of the lyrics to The Beatles' "Getting Better";)

"I've got to admit it's getting better 
A little better all the time

(It can't get no worse)"

:229:The Rook

Great song, saw Paul do it live in concert recently.  Amazing for an 80 year old. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I'm still over here wondering how Fred Davis looked so good for half, maybe three quarters of a season, but then fell off?

They messed with his sleep schedule. Man needed his beauty sleep and the team just wouldn't let him have it.

• Haha 2

Eifler, a late addition to the Commanders' roster in 2021 who re-signed with the team in March, was likely not a betting favorite to survive the team's final cuts. However, the second-year pro stood out in August and made the cut as one of four linebackers on the initial 53-man roster.

And there's a good reason Eifler earned a spot, according to fellow linebacker Cole Holcomb: "He's got some athletic ability that not a whole lot of people have."

"He's a freak," Holcomb told reporters Aug. 30. "As camp went on, you saw his growth and understanding of the defense."

Physically, Eifler checks off plenty of boxes for what the Commanders want from a linebacker. At 225 pounds, he is one of the slimmer players at the position, but he makes up for that with his strength in the weight room. Holcomb said he has seen Eifler squat about 500 pounds with no belt to support him. He described Eifler as "strong as hell," which seems like an accurate way to put it.

Eifler stood out just as much on the field. His speed, according to Ron Rivera, stood out the most. He saw a mix of Holcomb and 2021 first-round pick Jamin Davis in terms of his pursuit to the football. That also helped him as a pass-rusher and a blitzer, which are two areas of his skill set that Holcomb praised during his press conference.

Eifler finished the preseason with seven tackles (one tackle for a loss) and a pass breakup on 52 snaps.

"He showed great progress and development," Rivera said. "I think Milo just earned that spot. He did some really good things on special teams. I think he's a guy that once you get a chance to watch him and watch him on tape, you see him progress."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

OK will see if Ryan can fix the coordination of the D line.  A new radio host on 106.7 forgot his name -- he said he's been at practice talking to people there.  He said one thing he learned is that there is some tension about the D line (he didn't say who versus who though) with Jack Del Rio saying we've invested a lot of draft capital on the D line in part to help avoid blitzing all the time versus having to do it -- his thought is a good D line should be able to get home with 4 man rushes.

I am not sure who the pushback on this is.  But in his defense, blitzing more doesn't always equal success.  The idea scenario is to get home with 4 so you can keep 7 in coverage which was the hallmark of the Giants great SB defenses. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Here's hoping Milo Eifler has made significant strides since last season since he wasn't heard from during player intros or on the field during that blowout loss in Dal@ss

Was this the guy that had the deer in headlights look on the bench during pregame?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK will see if Ryan can fix the coordination of the D line.  A new radio host on 106.7 forgot his name -- he said he's been at practice talking to people there.  He said one thing he learned is that there is some tension about the D line (he didn't say who versus who though) with Jack Del Rio saying we've invested a lot of draft capital on the D line in part to help avoid blitzing all the time versus having to do it -- his thought is a good D line should be able to get home with 4 man rushes.

I am not sure who the pushback on this is.  But in his defense, blitzing more doesn't always equal success.  The idea scenario is to get home with 4 so you can keep 7 in coverage which was the hallmark of the Giants great SB defenses. 

Sure that's ideal. What is so frustrating is everyone could see it wasnt working last year so why didn't he adjust? This worries be going into this year, if he is still insistent on it will he do that again this year? 

8 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Sure that's ideal. What is so frustrating is everyone could see it wasnt working last year so why didn't he adjust? This worries be going into this year, if he is still insistent on it will he do that again this year? 

I am not a Del Rio guy after digesting some things this off season.  But in his defense, they did adjust.  That was part of the narrative back then.  They were top 10 in blitzes.  They switched to more zone from experimenting more with man.  They moved Landon Collins to big nickel.

I gather maybe if there is a debate there it might be about defining this unit.   Are they accepting the idea that the D line might not be special and be more ordinary where you got to help them and bring the heat like they did last season or is it closer to the Giants SB units that helped the defense have their cake and eat it too or somewhere in between?

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not a Del Rio guy after digesting some things this off season.  But in his defense, they did adjust.  That was part of the narrative back then.  They were top 10 in blitzes.  They switched to more zone from experimenting more with man.  They moved Landon Collins to big nickel.

I gather maybe if there is a debate there it might be about defining this unit.   Are they accepting the idea that the D line might not be special and be more ordinary where you got to help them and bring the heat like they did last season or is it closer to the Giants SB units that helped the defense have their cake and eat it too or somewhere in between?

Yes they did adjust, but I felt like it took about half the season before they did which seems unacceptable. Heck, everyone knew from the get go that Collins should have been in the role they moved him to. I of course may be remembering the time frame wrong, but it shouldn't take Del Rio that long to change it. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Yes they did adjust, but I felt like it took about half the season before they did which seems unacceptable. Heck, everyone knew from the get go that Collins should have been in the role they moved him to. I of course may be remembering the time frame wrong, but it shouldn't take Del Rio that long to change it. 

Agree they did take long.  I sort of get the 4 D lineman part though.  Some here on occasional seem to equate blitzing = good D coordinator.  But if you go through the defensive stats some of the better defenses don't actually blitz much.  Haz was a big time blitzer yet his defenses stunk.

The idea that 4 studs on the D line allows you to keep 7 in coverage -- I get the mindset.  And I get why they didn't give up on that idea quickly.  

But their struggles in man coverage and going back to much heavier zone like the previous season where their secondary was good -- took too long.  Ditto the shift with Collins. 

• Like 2

From the games I viewed, the D-line did not play well as a unit. In particular the starting defensive ends seemed more intent in getting their sack, by whatever route possible and often failed to set their edge.  Consequently The opposing QB would roll out into the area that was supposed to be covered by the over-eager DE, and have more time to find an open target.

I think ex-coach Sam Mills III wasn't able to get his D-Line to play as a unit, nor was he helping Young to develop more rushing moves, beyond what he'd shown in college..  It's too bad Mills was the guy entrusted with developing this group of four 1st round picks, because they really underperformed against many teams in the 2021 season.  I hope the new coaching will help to fix this issue.

Edited by Wyvern

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I also think before they adjusted, they tried to fix the problem.  Because when you have THAT much invested in the DL, you kindof owe it to yourself to get out of it what you put into it.  

So, my guess is before they decided they were going to adjust and blitz more, they tried to "coach them up" so they played the way they were supposed to.  When that didn't work, they adjusted.

Did they spend too much time trying to fix it?  Probably.

It's one of the reasons why I (and I got this wrong) I don't think they extended Payne this off-season, and they are taking an entire "wait and see" with Sweat.  If the unit doesn't perform this year, it's time to blow the whole thing up, and admit the picks were "good" but not great.  They might not get anything back except for 5 years of service and a 3rd round pick for Payne, which is fine for a mid-first round pick.  They might trade Sweat for a second or third, or just let him play out his last year also and then let him walk.  I'd be fine with both of those scenarios if they play out.  

• Like 1

I know power rankings in and of themselves are a joke but I swear this has to be a parody even the most negative on this board wouldn’t have us as the third worst team in the league. Meanwhile Dallas minus 3 starting o lineman from last season and 1 starting wr with an nfl td to their name is at 15. Sheesh. 

Edited by Mrshadow008
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

... It's one of the reasons why I (and I got this wrong) I don't think they extended Payne this off-season, and they are taking an entire "wait and see" with Sweat.  If the unit doesn't perform this year, it's time to blow the whole thing up, and admit the picks were "good" but not great.  They might not get anything back except for 5 years of service and a 3rd round pick for Payne, which is fine for a mid-first round pick.  They might trade Sweat for a second or third, or just let him play out his last year also and then let him walk.  I'd be fine with both of those scenarios if they play out.  

I'm curious on what you think Washington might decide about Young.  To me, he's more of a question-mark than Sweat, and very high-profile as the #2 overall pick and a "generational talent."  I noticed you left Young out of the possible scenarios Washington might take as action if the unit doesn't perform well this year.

We fared a little bit better in their win total projection article yesterday.

Wins
Washington Commanders

Ceiling: 9.2

Floor: 6.2

FanDuel over/under: 8.5

Terry McLaurin earns more than 1,000 receiving yards in 54.4 percent of simulations and at least 1,100 yards 52 percent of the time, with his most likely TD number being seven. This makes him WR15 -- with upside -- in my fantasy model.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfc-win-total-projections-packers-buccaneers-rams-continue-reign-eagles-tak