Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I actually think thats a good trade for Minny. Reagor is a first round talent. And they got him for peanuts. Its not like Hurst is some super talented passer and he still caught 64 balls there in two seasons.  Plus Reagor also can give you some use as a returner as well. 

Reagor has been a disaster in Philly....the fact that the Eagles got what they did has their fans doing cartwheels. The talk radio guys think the Eagles won the deal just by ridding themselves of Reagor. He was a complete bust in Philly so Minnesota will need to hope a fresh start helps him.

• Like 1

Vikings fired their coach and GM, but are staying the course from the previous regime for the most part in terms of personnel, rather than blowing things up.  I think that is actually smart because the last regime wasn't that bad, but a bit uncommon as usually a new coach and new GM want to make bold personnel decisions immediately rather than small ones like this (trading a 7th and 5th rounder for Jalen Reagor)

45 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Meanwhile, I’m worried about the hybrid defenders in our D. St Juste can be great but he hasn’t done it consistently yet and we lost our best player in that spot in Landon Collins. Curl can do it, thank God. But I’m worried about all of that.

Our DL terrifies me, too.

Don't quite understand why the D-Line terrifies you.  3 out of the 4 starters are above average players.  The depth isn't amazing, but midseason we will get back Chase Young and then have 4 out of 4 starters being above average.

33 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Vikings fired their coach and GM, but are staying the course from the previous regime for the most part in terms of personnel, rather than blowing things up.  I think that is actually smart because the last regime wasn't that bad, but a bit uncommon as usually a new coach and new GM want to make bold personnel decisions immediately rather than small ones like this (trading a 7th and 5th rounder for Jalen Reagor)

Don't quite understand why the D-Line terrifies you.  3 out of the 4 starters are above average players.  The depth isn't amazing, but midseason we will get back Chase Young and then have 4 out of 4 starters being above average.

They consistently underperform. Chase is coming off of two major injuries and wasn’t great last year. They all over penetrate sans Allen and Payne. They open vertical holes with their rush lanes and they overrun the passer fairly often. Hoping that is all fixed. 

Our backers scare me. Hybrids scare me. Free safety scares me. I’m actually least nervous about the corners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

lol, I just saw @Voice_of_Reason used the same metaphor, what are the odds?  :ols:  But we took that point in a different direction. 

Great Minds Think Alike GIF - Great Minds Think Alike Smart - Discover &  Share GIFs

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

One thing is the 10-minute drive against Tampa. That, even if an outlier, was the offense just doing it right. Proof of concept, so to speak.

This, as you said, impacted the defense as it gave them more rest and then they went and stopped the other team also in part because the opponent had less time to score more points. When it clicked, man, it was awesome.

I don't disagree.  And I don't want to diminish either side of the ball, they both played better.

But if the defense played the way they did the first 7 games of the season, the TOP wouldn't have been as skewed because the opposing offense would be on the field more, and score more points.  Which would in turn put more pressure on our offense to score more point, and the whole thing would fall down like a deck of cards.

My point is the defense played MUCH MUCH MUCH better during those 4 games, and it was a leading contributor to why they won them.  It wasn't the ONLY contributor.  But a leading one.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NeverSurrender said:

Yeah but if we had a kicker in that game it was over way before Wilson even would have had a chance. 

Eh, I think it would have been about the same. The difference would be they wouldn't have had the opportunity to tie on their last TD.  

With a kicker, it's probably a 3 point lead with 2 minutes to go with them kicking off to us after they scored their last TD.   We scored a TD + 2 point conversion to make it an 8 point game early in the second half.  Then we turned the ball over on downs with 9 minutes to go at the 5 because we couldn't kick a FG.  With a kicker, we probably kick the extra point early in the second for a 7 point lead, then kick the FG late for a 10 point lead.  That led to Seattle going the length of the field quickly and scoring a TD.  With a kicker, it's probably to within 3, without, it was 2.  Regardless, they missed the 2 point conversion, so they were going for an onside-kick to get the ball back.  

With/without a kicker, if everything plays out the same way, they are still probably kicking an onside kick to get the ball back to either tie/win the game.  

Not going 3-out 4 times in a row would have helped make it less close as much as a kicker. 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

2016 offense couldn't score points at a very good level. Have to score in the red zone. 

That's fair  They were 12th in points but 3rd in yards.  They moved the ball up and down the field, then got bogged down in the redzone a bunch.  

It was still a very good offense.  My head cannon is McVay was responsible for everything up to the 20, and then Jay took over and broke everything.  :P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

TH was 27 for 35, 223 yards, 1 TD, 1 int vs Seattle on that Monday night game. Took just 1 sack....He was clearly a big part of why they won that game whether you give him any credit or not. Not bad numbers for a backup QB.

Actually, he was pretty terrible the entire night, specifically on 3rd down.  He had a QBR of 52.8.  That's somewhere between Bad and Very Bad. He had a 6.4 yards per attempt, which is pretty bad by NFL standards. You want that somewhere north of 7. His yards per completion was 8.2.  A good Yards per Completion is around 11.  Again, not very good.  The team was 5-13 on 3rd downs.  Not very good.  

He was mostly the reason we went 3-out so many times in the second half. 4 times in a row in fact, and why the game was so close to begin with.   It was the worst of his games in the 4 game winning streak.  By a a lot.  

I know, I know, he beat Wilson.  But not really.  They ran the ball 43 times for 143 yards.  Offensively, that was the engine.  

Do you really want to know why they won?  Because the defense held Seattle to 12 carries for 34 yards.  They were also putrid on 3rd down, 4-12, which was another big factor.  

You can argue all you want, that wasn't a good performance by TH.  It was somewhat ok.  He was very good against Tampa.  He was "good" against Carolina and "ok" against the Raiders.  And he wasn't very good against Seattle. And he was basically bad for the rest of the season, for whatever that's worth.  Those are the facts.  They are the only facts, and they are undisputed. (By anybody who watches football, that is...)

36 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't disagree.  And I don't want to diminish either side of the ball, they both played better.

But if the defense played the way they did the first 7 games of the season, the TOP wouldn't have been as skewed because the opposing offense would be on the field more, and score more points.  Which would in turn put more pressure on our offense to score more point, and the whole thing would fall down like a deck of cards.

My point is the defense played MUCH MUCH MUCH better during those 4 games, and it was a leading contributor to why they won them.  It wasn't the ONLY contributor.  But a leading one.  

I can 100% go with this.

Which probably means you're wrong sorry :(

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Soooo... who will be playing LB for this team if there is an injury or a current starter needs to rest during a game?  lol.  Basically, someone not currently on the team will will be playing LB and we are a few days away from the regular season starting.  weird. 

3 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

This is kinda crazy,  I wasnt a huge Mayo fan but i know he is pretty good on ST and I thought he was our 3rd option at LB.  They must think very highly of Milo Eifler.  Otherwise I have no clue about the LB depth. 

Mayo will be resigned once Hodges is officially on IR. It's a timing thing, but he'll be back in about 5 seconds. It's the annual cut Mayo to create a roster slot maneuver. 

Edited by Jericho