Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

9 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Gibson is the best ball carrier. Guy rushes for over 1,000 yds, scores 7 TDs, losses 3 fumbles and he's trashed.

Tough Crowd!

giphy.gif

Ya, that’s not why. I’ve had this conversation so many times that I know you know the actual reasons.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

Okay so this is probably a better thread to discuss ramifications of the Robinson shooting on the roster… as I feel the thread about him getting shot should be left to commentary about his recovery. 

I thought they were going to keep 4 backs:

Robinson, Gibson, McKissick and either Patterson or Williams (both of whom I like).

Now I think they still keep four: McKissick, Gibson, Patterson, Williams. Robinson (PUP and hopefully he’s back week 5 and the wounds aren’t serious).

They probably back to square one, which is comforting, I guess.  Not too many teams' "backup" RB is a 1000 rusher from the previous season.  I guess maybe Williams swaps out for Patterson, but I dont think it real makes much difference.  

I was looking forward to how they were gonna probably use Gibson more in space, but I suspect they'll go back to running him between the tackles all the time.  I would think you wouldn't have him returning kicks anymore.  

15 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Gibson is the best ball carrier. Guy rushes for over 1,000 yds, scores 7 TDs, losses 3 fumbles and he's trashed.

Tough Crowd!

The problem with fumbels is that the run game is supposed to be trustworthy. If your line is getting push, and your RB is that dude then you dont even have to think about being on the goal line and punching it in. 

But if your RB is that dude and puts it on the floor.....you have to consider the possibility. And there in be the rub. Thats the issue with Antonio. Now its a thing you have to consider. You dont want that to be in your calculations when someone is handed the ball 15+ times a game. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Tough Crowd!

He had 6 fumbles last year and lost 4 of them were recovered by the other team.   Probably the numbers you are seeing is 5 fumbles, 3 lost and that is from his rushing game, but if you look at his receiving stats he had 1 fumble and 1 lost, for a total of 6 and 4.

He did have over 1,000 yards and he was like 6th or 7th in the league in rushing last year.  The only problem is he did mostly on volume.   4 yards per carry and indications from services like PFF are that Washington had above average run blocking (like 9th or 10th out of 32 teams) so he wasn't efficient.  He was decent last year, but if you only focus on that 1000 yards you could miss that he got a lot of volume and is efficiency was slightly below average for NFL starting RB's.  That said, we are fine at RB with Gibson and awfully the demotion is a motivation for him to really focus on his weaknesses.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The question is going to be, does Gibson turn into the first down back again?  Or does that go to Williams or Patterson, keep Gibson in the role he has now found.  Honestly, I HOPE that’s what they do and don’t try and make Gibson a premier running back again.  It’s not his bag and he’s not good at it. 

I think they just revert back to the way it was.  I dont see Williams or Patterson taking those snaps.  I think his lack of aptitude as a lead back is a little overrated there though. 

Honestly, I think it's fair to wonder if Gibson didn't have the fumbling issue, whether Robinson even gets drafted in the 3rd.  They might be a little more patient with his development at RB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm sure Brob goes to IR or Pup to start the season, making way for Patterson, but this is the exact roster I think we go with.

I think Williams makes it over Patterson.  Williams didn’t play in the Ravens game for a reason

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm sure Brob goes to IR or Pup to start the season, making way for Patterson, but this is the exact roster I think we go with.

This is pretty close to what I expect too. It feels that this year, more than any, there's little actual competition within position groups. We generally know who is going to make it. The questions are more how many from each position group. For example, do you keep 3 or 4 RBs? 9 or 10 OL? 9 or 10 DL? That kind of thing. I'm also not sure of the logistics of the Robinson situation. I'm assuming he gets placed on the NFI list. But I don't know if he has to make the final 53 first. I also suspect the team may play a little roster manipulation like it did last year when it cut Mayo (who is not subject to waivers), just to clear a spot and then re-sign him a day later. LB again seems like the most likely position that happens.

1 minute ago, Jericho said:

This is pretty close to what I expect too. It feels that this year, more than any, there's little actual competition within position groups. We generally know who is going to make it. The questions are more how many from each position group. For example, do you keep 3 or 4 RBs? 9 or 10 OL? 9 or 10 DL? That kind of thing. I'm also not sure of the logistics of the Robinson situation. I'm assuming he gets placed on the NFI list. But I don't know if he has to make the final 53 first. I also suspect the team may play a little roster manipulation like it did last year when it cut Mayo (who is not subject to waivers), just to clear a spot and then re-sign him a day later. LB again seems like the most likely position that happens.

I haven't felt like we have this many ingrained legit starters in a long time and I really like the depth at a lot of positions, too.

Pretty impressive job that Ron and Martyco have done in just 3 years.

Now we just have to win.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, mhd24 said:

I think Williams makes it over Patterson.  Williams didn’t play in the Ravens game for a reason

IMO, Williams should be the starting RB.  His build and speed make him big enough to carry the load.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I feel bad for Parker as he had a good camp and played well in the preseason games, but I didn't really want to keep six safeties.   Hopefully he finds a roster spot on another team.

I’m sure he will land on our or somebody’s practice squad.  He has some good tape out there. 

6 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Good indicator for Reaves making the cut this year. He has earned it.

When Ron said in a presser he like guys like Reaves, that was also a good indication.