Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Coles got hurt this week and we brought another TE in because we were o thin and some of you think we're gonna sneak 5 or 6 TEs onto the roster on a team the coaches have said the want to air the ball out. Adorable.

Can’t say I understand anything in this post.  

We were thin because Thomas, Turner and Bates were all out and the workload for our 3 remaining TEs - having to play with the 1st, 2nd and 3rd teams - was too much.

Not sure how Turner playing big slot - a position he seems well suited to and may be a big help to Wentz - is trying to “sneak” TEs onto the roster?

Nobody has talked about keeping 6 TEs.  I did mention 3-4 (plus Turner in a big slot role, so 4-5 if you wanna look at it that way), but I also specifically said the team wouldn’t do that.

Is Sims a decisive factor in us being able to air the ball out?  We’d have Dotson, McLaurin, Brown outside, and Samuel and Milne have experience there.  And of course, we have PS and the ability to sign a guy like Sims, Mitchell, etc if one of our guys miss time.

Not trying to be combative, but it’s a weird post man.  You missed the mark and then topped it off with condescension… It’s the offseason though, you still have time to get back to in season form KB!  :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I did mention 3-4 (plus Turner in a big slot role, so 4-5 if you wanna look at it that way),

31 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

we're gonna sneak 5 TEs onto the roster

This notion that we are gonna carry 4 WRs and put TEs in the WR roster spots in addition to the TE slots is absurd.

We have Thomas who had one good year and coming off injry at some point. Bates, who is just awesome and a bunch of rookies, mostly undrafted.

We drafted Brown just a year ago, resigned Sims to a $2.5 mil contract and we need a returner (Milne also drafted last year).

3 hours ago, Jbird7 said:

Would Chicago go for Payne and a 2nd round pick for Roquan?

I'd make this deal in a heartbeat considering Payne's contract situation + drafting a DT in the 2nd who could be his in-house replacement. 

Chicago would have to go into the trade wanting to extend Payne. But, they could be...a quick glance at their roster and they don't seem exactly stacked at DT. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

I'd make this deal in a heartbeat considering Payne's contract situation + drafting a DT in the 2nd who could be his in-house replacement. 

Chicago would have to go into the trade wanting to extend Payne. But, they could be...a quick glance at their roster and they don't seem exactly stacked at DT. 

I don't like the trade.   We could really use a quality LB.   I think Roquan Smith is a quality LB.  PFF rates him as average, but the league consensus seems to be he is pretty good.   As others have pointed out, PFF linebacker grades seem a bit off.   

On the other hand, Roquan Smith wants a trade because he wants a big extension.   So we are trading one player who has one year left on a rookie deal for another.  If we are worried about salary cap, then we may have the same issue with Smith as we do with Payne.  I am assuming Roquan Smith will want 17 to 20 million dollars per year (top end linebacker money).   That is probably not ideal for us.  In general, you only want 3 or 4 high end/top of line salary for position guys on your team and you want one of them to be your QB where there is actually a discount on wins above replacement.   We have McLaurin and Allen and will likely have Chase Young in a few years.  And then you have to give up an additional second round pick.  If you want to upgrade linebacker, we would do much better shopping in the 8 to 9 million dollar range.

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I assume that's aimed at me, but your "fill the roster with no experience TEs" make no sense. It's not gonna happen.

I never said that, though. 

I suggested we move Cole Turner. That’s it. If you took it any other way that’s on you.

But no, actually, that wasn’t aimed at you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

We're the top of the top 10!!!

May be an image of ‎text that says '‎BOTTOM 10 TEAMS ACCORDING TO PFF'S POWER RANKINGS 2 3 4 5 6 7 و 10 JETS MATI‎'‎

I can't figure out which way you're supposed to read this list but looking at It I'm pretty sure they're saying we're the worst team in the league.

Which I think is bull**** but we'll see.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I can't figure out which way you're supposed to read this list but looking at It I'm pretty sure they're saying we're the worst team in the league.

Which I think is bull**** but we'll see.

They have as the 23rd best team out of 32 in the NFL.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-ahead-of-the-2023-season

Edited by philibusters
  • Thanks 1

Reminds me of the days when a certain Mod would hand out temp-bans to anyone suggesting the Redskins drafted a FB (college designation) because we ran a singleback offense.  My memory is **** so I don't remember the player or the year.

For what it's worth, Turner's designation is TE according to the folks paying his check and on my Madden team so, I don't require anymore information than that, thank you!

• Haha 1

WR is going to be one of the more interesting positions to see who makes the team.

I got 8 candidates:

McLaurin, Dotson, Samuel, Milne, Sims, Brown, Erickson, and Michel all with a shot to make the team.   Are we keeping six?

Edited by philibusters

4 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Highly doubtful to me.  Mills was a Rivera guy from his days in Carolina.  

Yeah, I find the reasons behind the firing quite weird to be honest.

Rivera has been HC for the Panthers from 2011 to 2019. Then HC here.

Mills has been Assistant DL for the Panthers from 2011 to 2018, then DL coach 2018-19 and here.

So they've been working for 11 years together and that's the time it took Rivera to notice they have a difference in philosophy?

That doesn't mesh very well or Rivera has really poor relational skills...

5 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Yeah, I find the reasons behind the firing quite weird to be honest.

Rivera has been HC for the Panthers from 2011 to 2019. Then HC here.

Mills has been Assistant DL for the Panthers from 2011 to 2018, then DL coach 2018-19 and here.

So they've been working for 11 years together and that's the time it took Rivera to notice they have a difference in philosophy?

That doesn't mesh very well or Rivera has really poor relational skills...

He's not going to tell you the real reason, but it's probably safe to assume the coach lost the guys in the position group and it's been brewing for a while.

The question will be, who was right, problem with our guys or problem with the coach.  Ron chose the guys.

1 hour ago, philibusters said:

WR is going to be one of the more interesting positions to see who makes the team.

I got 8 candidates:

McLaurin, Dotson, Samuel, Milne, Sims, Brown, Erickson, and Michel all with a shot to make the team.   Are we keeping six?

Michel is going to be on PracSquad.

My guess is that Brown, Sims, Milne, Erickson and Milne are competing for final 3 slots.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

This notion that we are gonna carry 4 WRs and put TEs in the WR roster spots in addition to the TE slots is absurd.

We have Thomas who had one good year and coming off injry at some point. Bates, who is just awesome and a bunch of rookies, mostly undrafted.

We drafted Brown just a year ago, resigned Sims to a $2.5 mil contract and we need a returner (Milne also drafted last year).

I’ll say it again, the team isn’t going to do it.  And of course I pointed at 5 wrs, not 4, and 4-5 TEs (though Turner, again, would be a big slot in that scenario, so it’s really 3-4), not 6.  Not sure why you’re so attached to keeping 6-8 receivers (😜).

Personally, I’d rather keep cheaper guys with loads of potential, and think their draft status shouldn’t matter as much as how they perform in camp, but maybe that’s just me.  

Among the 5 receivers I mentioned keeping were Brown/Milne, so (again) not seeing your point there.  

Edit: that kick returner issue is going to be interesting for sure.  I’m not ready to write Patterson off, but the margins are slim.  So many ways this could go to make room for that returner - 3 TEs instead of 4, 2 qbs, Sims and/or Brown not making the cut, or even 1 less on D.  Likely gonna be a tough decision.

Edited by skinny21

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Coach Z

He's got the Bellichek Eye-Roll when he doesn't like the reporter question

No-nonsense guy,

Comes across as military, even though he isn't.

I was hoping a reporter would have had the balls to ask him what he was planning on wearing to this year's harvest festival.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Last year people stopped understanding the difference between LBer and SS and now it's happening with TE and WR. 

We'll have 6 WRs and 3 TEs and the WRs will be WRs and the TEs will be TEs. 

So who's going to play the Buffalo Wide Receiver role then, huh?

• Haha 1