Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

I agree that it's early to throw in the towel on Jamin, I don't think the "not his fault" argument holds water. It wasn't Heath Shuler's fault that he got drafted in the first round. That was Washington's decision. It doesn't matter whose fault it is: Person doesn't live up to the value of his peers drafted after him, he's a bust.

I'll wait for some playing time during the regular season to really form an opinion, but I can't deny that the only value he's had so far is that he kept Jon Bostic off the field.

You said it doesn’t hold water and then you went and described exactly why it does hold water and agreed with me. It’s his second year. 

You don’t judge a player, who was raw coming out and we all knew it, in his second year. Period. 

Yes. At some point if he doesn’t pan out then it falls on his shoulders. I’m not sure where the point is. But it’s not yet. 

So let’s show a little bit of patience as a fanbase with this guy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Seeing KDawg stand up for the LBers is a day I never thought we'd see.  :ols:

How you feeling Swole at Mike?

I’m fine with it. I don’t think our backers are great. They may be the weakest unit now. But Holcomb is at least solid after some development. Davis is raw but growing. I like Mayo more than many here seem to. 

lots of room for improvement but with the rest of our team where they are these guys don’t have to be all over the field making every tackle. They need to be in the correct places.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m fine with it. I don’t think our backers are great. They may be the weakest unit now. But Holcomb is at least solid after some development. Davis is raw but growing. I like Mayo more than many here seem to. 

lots of room for improvement but with the rest of our team where they are these guys don’t have to be all over the field making every tackle. They need to be in the correct places.

I'm higher on Holcomb than you I think, but in the same place with the other two.

• Like 1

And since when did first round picks get the expectation of walking through the door pro bowlers?

It's not uncommon at all for 1st rounders ( even ones that weren't considered raw) to need time to develop. 

A few weeks into training camp means nothing, if he still looks like he did last year once the regular season rolls around then I'll start worrying but if he shows improvement I'll be fine with that even if he's not a pro bowler yet.

• Like 2

interesting thread on the second half pff grades for our secondary 

fuller weeks 7-18 85.9 2nd overall

jackson weeks 7-18 75.0 17th overall 

mccain weeks 7-18 78.4 12th overall 

this was after being 46th, 119th, and 70th in weeks 1-6. It’s at least confirmation for those that noticed the stark difference in second half of season 

• Like 5

I still can't get over Fuller's career arc. We had him the first time around and he was awesome in the slot. KC gets him, tries to convert him to outside where he sucks, eventually makes some weird mess of him playing FS. We get him back, he sucks at slot and is awesome outside.

Suck it, Chiefs. You got a Super Bowl, but we got better production out of a cornerback.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Oh, we're still overreacting to a 2nd year LB who was drafted as a raw prospect isn't Ray Lewis?

He was taken 19th overall. So yes, I'm expecting starter-quality. Not necessarily Ray Lewis-caliber (yet) but can't he be a full time starter? Isn't that what a 19th overall pick should be expected to produce?

• Like 5

7 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

It would be more of a concern if they were still playing four preseason games instead of three.

RR walks into the trainers office and asks Al how everything is going...

Trainer says well, we're out of TE's, you shipped out an All-Pro RG for a guy with 1-leg, and now you want everyone to go 100% hot in a game after 2 weeks of drills. I'm going to need more duct tape!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I've noticed that ever since pads have come on, some guys are being talked about less. Daron Payne went from being a motivated breakout candidate to not being mentioned lately.

OL use the shoulder pads to hold on at the center and gain leverage. Pads even things out for DL vs OL. Edge/Speed rushers don't have the same issues.

44 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

OL use the shoulder pads to hold on at the center and gain leverage. Pads even things out for DL vs OL. Edge/Speed rushers don't have the same issues.

Pads work both ways though. Jon Allen likes grabbing OL pads and pulling them off balance, it's a big part of his pass rush repertoire.

• Like 1

Paus=
106.7 The Fan
2 minutes ago

Carson Wentz has yet to take a meaningful snap in a game for the Commanders, true. Carson Wentz has struggled with accuracy in training camp, also true.

Both statements can and certainly appear to be true, but it's the latter that has people covering the team on a daily basis concerned that Wentz may not be adapting with his new team quickly enough to lend confidence about where this thing is headed.e depiction of Wentz's accuracy in a Monday appearance with Grant Paulsen on 106.7 The Fan.

"It's just worse than I thought," Hailey said when prompted with a question about Wentz's accuracy. "And I was very aware of what all the Eagles reporters — I mean everybody's had an Eagles reporter on their show or podcast, everybody's had a Colts reporter on their show or podcast. So you're prepared for this to be a bumpy road, but the bumps are a little bit higher and they're a little bit more frequent than I would have liked them to be."

"And look, he didn't have Terry [McLaurin] for OTAs and minicamps," Hailey cautioned. "Those two both have spoken on how they need to get their reps down. They might try to do some things during practice, during some dead periods, to continue to hone their relationship. I'd imagine it's hard to get on the same page with Curtis Samuel when you don't know if he's going to be wearing a helmet from one day to the next."

Commanders reporter Michael Phillips of the Richmond Times-Dispatch echoed this sentiment, saying that McLaurin's absence from on-field activities has definitely complicated the receiver's ability to develop a rapport with Wentz. Phillips also noted "there's still a lot of time left before the first game" and that the two still have "plenty of time to get it fixed."

Hailey says the one target Wentz has been able to develop a reliable rapport with — which should give fans some measure of optimism about things to come — is first-round pick Jahan Dotson.

"So the one guy he does seem to really be in lockstep with is Jahan Dotson, who he loved during May and June activities and has certainly brought that into July and August," Hailey said. "When he's throwing with Dotson, that's when it's the smoothest, that's when the timing is the best, that's when the ball is there, as soon as he turns around and gives him plenty enough room to turn upfield.

"So if he gets to that level with the other guys, then you can see that there's a blueprint for a successful quarterback-receiver relationship, but the majority of guys, it still is just rusty and there's just some really ugly misses."

"And what worries me," Hailey continued. "Again, the on-air stuff doesn't affect the on-field results come Week 1, but if you're a receiver turning around enough and you don't know where the ball's coming, that's got to just be discouraging. You're like, 'I'm doing this against nobody and you're not hitting me. How am I gonna trust you to then do this against the Jaguars?' So I just hope that there isn't too much doubt already seeping into this unit's head.

"Because, again, some of these reps, Grant, are so disappointing that it's just like how do they then line up and do another one in five seconds without everybody just processing the ugliness that just occurred?"

Hailey went on to say that Wentz is still the best of the three quarterbacks in camp (the others being Taylor Heinicke and rookie Sam Howell).

"Wentz is definitely still the best," he said. "I still think Ron should give Wentz an incredibly long leash, because this is the only guy who could really hopefully, possibly elevate the team. The other two are gonna either just keep it afloat or be something of a long-term project. So Wentz needs to be the starter and he needs to be the starter for a long time. You give him every chance to hit the ground running, and if it doesn't start at the beginning, to hit the ground running in October. But he is not so much better that it's like, 'Okay, phew. This is exactly it.' It's just been closer all throughout than you'd like it to be."

Edited by Skinsinparadise

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Paus=
106.7 The Fan
2 minutes ago

Carson Wentz has yet to take a meaningful snap in a game for the Commanders, true. Carson Wentz has struggled with accuracy in training camp, also true.

Both statements can and certainly appear to be true, but it's the latter that has people covering the team on a daily basis concerned that Wentz may not be adapting with his new team quickly enough to lend confidence about where this thing is headed.e depiction of Wentz's accuracy in a Monday appearance with Grant Paulsen on 106.7 The Fan.

"It's just worse than I thought," Hailey said when prompted with a question about Wentz's accuracy. "And I was very aware of what all the Eagles reporters — I mean everybody's had an Eagles reporter on their show or podcast, everybody's had a Colts reporter on their show or podcast. So you're prepared for this to be a bumpy road, but the bumps are a little bit higher and they're a little bit more frequent than I would have liked them to be."

"And look, he didn't have Terry [McLaurin] for OTAs and minicamps," Hailey cautioned. "Those two both have spoken on how they need to get their reps down. They might try to do some things during practice, during some dead periods, to continue to hone their relationship. I'd imagine it's hard to get on the same page with Curtis Samuel when you don't know if he's going to be wearing a helmet from one day to the next."

Commanders reporter Michael Phillips of the Richmond Times-Dispatch echoed this sentiment, saying that McLaurin's absence from on-field activities has definitely complicated the receiver's ability to develop a rapport with Wentz. Phillips also noted "there's still a lot of time left before the first game" and that the two still have "plenty of time to get it fixed."

Hailey says the one target Wentz has been able to develop a reliable rapport with — which should give fans some measure of optimism about things to come — is first-round pick Jahan Dotson.

"So the one guy he does seem to really be in lockstep with is Jahan Dotson, who he loved during May and June activities and has certainly brought that into July and August," Hailey said. "When he's throwing with Dotson, that's when it's the smoothest, that's when the timing is the best, that's when the ball is there, as soon as he turns around and gives him plenty enough room to turn upfield.

"So if he gets to that level with the other guys, then you can see that there's a blueprint for a successful quarterback-receiver relationship, but the majority of guys, it still is just rusty and there's just some really ugly misses."

"And what worries me," Hailey continued. "Again, the on-air stuff doesn't affect the on-field results come Week 1, but if you're a receiver turning around enough and you don't know where the ball's coming, that's got to just be discouraging. You're like, 'I'm doing this against nobody and you're not hitting me. How am I gonna trust you to then do this against the Jaguars?' So I just hope that there isn't too much doubt already seeping into this unit's head.

"Because, again, some of these reps, Grant, are so disappointing that it's just like how do they then line up and do another one in five seconds without everybody just processing the ugliness that just occurred?"

Hailey went on to say that Wentz is still the best of the three quarterbacks in camp (the others being Taylor Heinicke and rookie Sam Howell).

"Wentz is definitely still the best," he said. "I still think Ron should give Wentz an incredibly long leash, because this is the only guy who could really hopefully, possibly elevate the team. The other two are gonna either just keep it afloat or be something of a long-term project. So Wentz needs to be the starter and he needs to be the starter for a long time. You give him every chance to hit the ground running, and if it doesn't start at the beginning, to hit the ground running in October. But he is not so much better that it's like, 'Okay, phew. This is exactly it.' It's just been closer all throughout than you'd like it to be."

Interesting read, especially about Howell not holding his own. It seems in stark contrast to other positive Howell news. (I don't think Howell should be in the conversation, btww. Not yet)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

He was taken 19th overall. So yes, I'm expecting starter-quality. Not necessarily Ray Lewis-caliber (yet) but can't he be a full time starter? Isn't that what a 19th overall pick should be expected to produce?

If we thought we didn’t reach for him, sure. But most of us realized he was taken a bit early and while liking the player it was a bad place to pick a project LB. 

Hence why I said, “that’s not his fault.”

• Like 1

Everyone calling Davis a bad pick, who would you have taken? What player in the back half of that draft is just killing it that makes us look stupid? It was a weak draft outside of QB and even looking back, he was probably the best player outside of maybe Najee and if we took a RB at 15 everyone would have lost their mind. There was no trade back options, what would have been a better move than the best LBer on the board?

I wanted Moehrig and that would have pissed everyone off too. Even though dudes awesome, people would have been ****ing about a safety that high, especially since he went 43.

Dickenson? We have one of the best Centers in the league. Asante? He went in the mid 40's too.

Bolton was the backer I wanted and he looks like a stud, but he went in the back of the 2nd. Would you rather have drafted Eisenburg in the first and Bolton instead of Davis and Cosmi? I doubt it.

Is he Lewis or a HoF backer in his second training camp? Nope. Mayo is taking the run downs? Shocking, since the dudes an old school MLB that is really really good against the run.

Even Zaven Collins didn't set the world on fire his rookie year. Parsons did and I get that that really stings, especially the year we took the next LBer, but chill out already with the bust talk.

It's typical of the whiners on this board though. **** about **** without ever having a better idea of what we could have done.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

I personally, am not worried about Dotson at all...

I think on the message board if we hadn't gone linebacker we would have taken Christian Darrisaw (but that means no Sam Cosmi), Trevon Moehrig, or Jeremiah Owusu-Koramiah.  At the time I would have taken Darrisaw, but I still liked the Davis pick.  Hopefully he takes a big step forward this year.