Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

36 minutes ago, Conn said:

It makes me wonder if Del Rio wanted to keep him, like really pounded the table for him, and Rivera basically told him things had to change. And it’s clear they aren’t and haven’t so Rivera is reaching into JDR’s territory and making the executive decision. Idk, that’s made up but this timing is just so bizarre, there must have been some weird internal politics/compromising going on that Rivera decided to stop putting up with. Right? 

Highly doubtful to me.  Mills was a Rivera guy from his days in Carolina.  

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm really having a hard time imagining Del Rio pounding the table for a guy he's never worked with before in his career while Ron Rivera is sitting at the head of the table pleading "Dude, I hate this guy, I employed him for 17 years, just no".

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

As the person who brought up Turner at receiver I can confidently tell you I never mentioned Rogers there.

That was another person who brought up Rogers. My point is either Turner or Rogers doesn’t make sense at wideout. Turner needs to focus on being a tight end (especially his blocking). If he plays well with Logan out, then we can use him asa dual tight end threat. If he shows something this year then maybe we can experiment with him at wideout next year. He’s still a rookie. 

20 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

That was another person who brought up Rogers. My point is either Turner or Rogers doesn’t make sense at wideout. Turner needs to focus on being a tight end (especially his blocking). If he plays well with Logan out, then we can use him asa dual tight end threat. If he shows something this year then maybe we can experiment with him at wideout next year. He’s still a rookie. 

Turner isn't a tight end. He has never really played tight end. He was a Y by name and basic alignment only.

So if he's a tight end that flexxes most of the time, and runs receiver routes, what exactly is he?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Makes sense, with Kerrigan sitting in on practices recently, deciding if he wants to coach.

And there is now a vacant Assistant DL coach spot

Yeah, Kerrigan and Sapp hanging out and the assistant coach being real close with everyone it definitely makes sense.

Side note, having those dudes around camp and having Norv around and wasn't a Ryan hanging around recently too? It feels good. Feels different for this team.

8 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

The flip side to that argument is that taking on more of a receiver type role means, while he continues to work on his blocking, it doesn’t matter much if he is currently not that good at it.  You’re in effect taking the pressure to excel there off his plate.  You’re then replacing Sims with a guy that runs better routes and has better hands without losing Sims’ size.  And a big part of this idea stems from what reporters have said - our other receivers lack size, so Cam offers a unique profile.  

I’ll add that this is largely a matter of keeping the best (and most promising) players, as well as getting them on the field.  So if Cam could be replaced by Turner, now you can keep 3-4 other TEs.  So maybe the move leads/allows you keep 4 (other) TEs - maybe Reyes as your backup blocking/inline TE (and STer?), and Hodges or Rogers as more of a development, receiving TE insurance policy (that you don’t want to risk losing when you’d otherwise try to put them on the PS.

To your point though, I do think ST is a factor.  Now maybe we have the guys to replace Sims there, maybe we don’t.  Also worth keeping in mind that just because rookies are impressing in camp, doesn’t mean they’re inherently better than others.  Hearing a lot of praise about Mathis, for example, doesn’t mean he’s anywhere near the level of Payne/Allen at this point.

But again, it’s just an idea that @KDawg brought up that I find super intriguing… he (IIRC) and I have both said we don’t see the team going this route.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Turner isn't a tight end. He has never really played tight end. He was a Y by name and basic alignment only.

Well he isn’t a wide receiver either and he’s not Drake London. Sure he may be a bit of a hybrid but we need Turner to be our receiving tight end till Logan is back to 100%. Why experiment with him at wideout when he’s a rookie?

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah, Milne’s been a near lock for me since the season ended.  Probably not a huge “upside’ type, but he got a decent amount of PT last year, performed well (IMO), has good hands and route running ability, decent quickness, as well as some versatility - inside, outside and ST.

1 minute ago, skinsfan93 said:

Well he isn’t a wide receiver either and he’s not Drake London. Sure he may be a bit of a hybrid but we need Turner to be our receiving tight end till Logan is back to 100%. Why experiment with him at wideout when he’s a rookie?

It's not an experiment. A big slot is a role in the NFL. You limit his route package and use him to get the edge on run plays and on specific pass patterns. It's actually easier to learn than tight end and can help transition him to a full tight end role.

No **** he's not Drake London, by the way :ols:

• Haha 1

All of you clamoring for Turner to be a wide receiver is not taking into account that he is a rookie!  Yes he has gotten glowing reviews in camp so far and I hope he is our long term answer at tight end. Our Darren Waller type.

I also realize Cam Simms is who he is. He’s never gonna be an all pro but he is reliable and has experience. It’s the same reasoning why I thought we would keep Deandre Carter over others because he had experience returning punts. 

This is a make or break year and you guys wanna rely on a fifth rounder as our backup receiver. That’s like the Lions using Calvin Johnson as their backup tight end. How many times does a position change for skilled players work out? Cordelle Patterson is the only one I can think of. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

All of you clamoring for Turner to be a wide receiver is not taking into account that he is a rookie!  Yes he has gotten glowing reviews in camp so far and I hope he is our long term answer at tight end. Our Darren Waller type.
Can’t speak for others, but I addressed this about 15 minutes before you posted this.

I also realize Cam Simms is who he is. He’s never gonna be an all pro but he is reliable and has experience. It’s the same reasoning why I thought we would keep Deandre Carter over others because he had experience returning punts. 

This is a make or break year and you guys wanna rely on a fifth rounder as our backup receiver.

As a backup receiver.  We’d still have Samuel, Brown and Milne (or whichever other receivers we keep) that can/could take snaps outside

That’s like the Lions using Calvin Johnson as their backup tight end. Oof, that’s a pretty awful comparison.  How many times does a position change for skilled players work out? Cordelle Patterson is the only one I can think of. 

Logan Thomas?  Antonio Gibson?  JD McKissick?  I’d probably have to think about it to find better examples…