Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

This team is closer to winning 6-8 games than they are 12.

If you are expecting more than 9-10 wins and a deep playoff run; you are dreaming.

Best case 9-8/10-7 and a wild card berth and maybe one playoff win. More than likely we go just 9-8 and if we make playoffs, a quick exit. Wentz does just enough to return.

Worst case 6-11/7-10 and Wentz is bust and we end up seeing all 3 qbs.  Worse than 6? In all the full seasons Ron has coached; Ron has won at least 6. So, you aren’t seeing something less than 6 wins unless we have catastrophic injuries to key players.

It’s early but Wentz training camp is a little worrying but since he’s probably not playing much in preseason; we won’t know until early in the season how he really will be. He needs to get off to a good start. 

• Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for the number of games they win.  If we win 11 or 12 games they might rename the stadium after Wentz.  It would be the first time in 30 years for this franchise.  Brad Johnson didn't do it.  RG3 didn't do it. Kirk didn't do it.  If Wentz helps break that barrier, he'd be a hero.  but for me for now, I'd be happy if they match the high water mark in the last 30 years -- 10 wins. 

He could've and I will die on that hill that 1999 could've been a Super Bowl team.

It is a very small hill, highly accessible, view sucks, but I will die there so view doesn't matter.

• Like 2
  • Haha 12
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

50 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

It’s early but Wentz training camp is a little worrying but since he’s probably not playing much in preseason; we won’t know until early in the season how he really will be. He needs to get off to a good start. 

I would think the coaching staff would play the starters a bit longer this year to improve chemisty between Qb and Wr and help get Wentz comfortable. Plenty of teams did just that last year and I hope Ron will give ‘em more work this preseason. 

Starting the season off slow feels like a correlation to not enough preseason game time because we’re scared of injuries.  Go for it, we’ve got depth. 

1 minute ago, lovemaskins said:

I would think the coaching staff would play the starters a bit longer this year to improve chemisty between Qb and Wr and help get Wentz comfortable. Plenty of teams did just that last year and I hope Ron will give ‘em more work this preseason. 

Starting the season off slow feels like a correlation to not enough preseason game time because we’re scared of injuries.  Go for it, we’ve got depth. 

Wentz feels like a hard QB to get extended PT in preseason due to his penchant for holding the ball.

Most coaches get their starting QB outta the game after a series where the first whiff of damage occurs, and that is so much more likely given Wentz' playstyle.

Unless our Oline absolutely bullies and provides massive pockets, Wentz would probably get shut down before a lot of other QBs, just to make sure he is not taking too many hits.

• Thumb up 2

Wentz getting into a rhythm these last few practices, that’s what you want as training camp goes along. Hopefully continues but we know he’s streaky and more of a gamer. Preseason will be interesting. A few successful drives with his new weapons will have the national narrative police all turned around. Struggles on the other hand, while normal, would be amplified by the already low expectations 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Question for the QB gurus out there. Would it be easier to throw to a receiver when there are defenders around? What I mean by this is when throwing to a WR without anyone around you might not have a "spot" that you "must" throw it too (other than of course actual timing routes where you may be throwing to a spot). With DB's you know where not to throw it and it gives a more finite target for the QB to aim for. I overthinking this?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's ballsy. We'll see what the narrative becomes after Ryan and Wentz both have some downs.

In a way its better to be the under hyped QB like Wentz.  They haven't done a favor IMO to Ryan with all the preseason hype.  Judging by the QB thread, I am higher on Ryan than most.  But, I think the off season hype from the media has been out of control -- you'd think they just traded for Brady.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Crazy thought - could Dotson emerge as our #1 WR this year?

😬

That would be an incredible situation if so. It happens. Theilen was the man (and was still great) until Diggs came along, and then Justin Jefferson. Higgins is still amazing but Chase is special in CIN. There have been many more examples. It would be unexpected but a great boon for us, especially given he can be on a rookie contract for 5 entire years. Would make it an even more impressive trade back and draft pick, obviously. Especially if Olave never reaches similar heights. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 4

Just now, Conn said:

That would be an incredible situation if so. It happens. Theilen was the man (and was still great) until Diggs came along, and then Justin Jefferson. Higgins is still amazing but Chase is special in CIN. There have been many more examples. It would be unexpected but a great boon for us, especially given he can be on a rookie contract for 5 entire years. 

I mean, it's unlikely but as the days roll on - I just get the sense that Dotson is just clicking like crazy with Wentz. Would be a good problem to have, I guess.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Conn said:

Indy playing Ryan the entire first quarter this week allegedly. I hope he sucks out loud (unlikely). 

Totally off topic but a good friend of mine is the biggest homer Colts fan ever to the point where it’s unbearably annoying, he legit thinks that Parris Campbell is better than Mclaurin and even DK and Aj Brown. Alec Pierce is the biggest sleeper in the draft and just don’t even get him started about Pittman and JT.  D Henry isn’t close to JT in his eyes. So yeah I really want to beat the Colts this year with Wentz. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, max21 said:

Totally off topic but a good friend of mine is the biggest homer Colts fan ever to the point where it’s unbearably annoying, he legit thinks that Parris Campbell is better than Mclaurin and even DK and Aj Brown. Alec Pierce is the biggest sleeper in the draft and just don’t even get him started about Pittman and JT.  D Henry isn’t close to JT in his eyes. So yeah I really want to beat the Colts this year with Wentz. 

I have a buddy who was just like that with the Giants. Unbearable. Couldn’t hear the end of it after Victor Cruz’s infamous 3TD preseason game lol. The last 5+ years have set him straight though. I wish a similarly drastic humbling on all Colts fans. It still hasn’t sunk in for them how devilishly lucky and unfair it was for them to go from Manning to Luck (which was then squandered), and they still haven’t quite tasted the consequences of not having a franchise QB because they keep bringing in above average veteran stopgaps while they happen to have a pretty good roster. Can’t wait for the fall. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Question for the QB gurus out there. Would it be easier to throw to a receiver when there are defenders around? What I mean by this is when throwing to a WR without anyone around you might not have a "spot" that you "must" throw it too (other than of course actual timing routes where you may be throwing to a spot). With DB's you know where not to throw it and it gives a more finite target for the QB to aim for. I overthinking this?

While i cant say for sure it is an interesting question. kinda like being too open while taking a jump shot in basketball. and all kinds of crazy things can affect how an athlete plays. again comparing to basketball but a lot of the time in situations like the final four you see shooting % go down because going from smaller gyms to big arenas like that it can mess with depth perception etc. Wentz has never been described as super accurate but seems to be better in games vs practice and i noticed on saturday he was better in 7v7 and 11v11 than individuals. its an interesting theory for sure though

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

Indy playing Ryan the entire first quarter this week allegedly. I hope he sucks out loud (unlikely). 

Who cares about Matt Ryan. He is on a steady decline, zero arm strength now and paid way too much. Indy thinks he’s gonna be Phillip Rivers 2 but that ain’t happening. 

Im happy we have Wentz and Irsay might be a worse owner than Snyder. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2