Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your way to0 early Commander's draft grade

Burgold

I always start this thread with the disclaimer: No one can judge a draft right after the draft, but heck, since we judge the draft in the microseconds after each pick is made... Let's have fun and put down our draft grades or assessments of the draft. You can do this anyway you want and with as much detail as you want, but end (or start) with a letter grade.

Here's my uninformed, uneducated draft grade!

Dotson: I really wanted Hamilton, but if not, I wanted a trade down and a weapon. Dotson appears to be a weapon. I think if he were 2 inches taller he'd have been a top ten pick. Given that the league has changed the rules to benefit speed and quickness over toughness, I think size isn't as important as it used to be.  Including the trade, I thought this was a good need pick with a high likelihood of early career production.

Mathis: This is the head scratcher of the draft. When the agent and player both question the pick you have to also. Still with the departures of Ion and Settle, we needed to upgrade the rotation and he seems like a good player. I also know the players I really question often turn out well just to make me look silly. I'm neutral on this pick. It's a good need fill, but I'm unconvinced Mathis was the best player available. 

Robinson: I'll trust others who were excited about this pick that this was a good pick. Good, but not great speed. Has some nastiness. Shows power. Supposedly pass blocks well. A fine pick.

Butler: I think we've been in need a free safety for a while who can be that last line of defense. Some of the reports say that Percy was the best free safety in the draft. Given that and the fact that he's supposed to be a great special teamer, I think this was a good choice.

Howell: Could be the steal of our draft. Howell is drafted at a round where he has time to develop and if he can realize his potential then we get a number 1 pick from someone in trade if Wentz works out or we may have a guy who can take over as a starter.

Turner: For some reason, I just don't like this pick. It's probably just that I wanted a guard or a linebacker instead.  Good size. Supposedly good hands. Not fast. Not a good enough blocker yet.

Paul: We need more olinemen. Reads like a decent developmental guy.

Holmes: Have no idea. 

Commander's draft based on need: B

Commander's draft based on players: B-

• Thumb up 1

Uh… I don’t understand grading a draft when it ends. Common practice but a strange one.

Liked:

Dotson

Robinson

Howell

Like the player but not the process:

Mathis

Sees the logic in drafting:

Turner

The Film Doesn’t Show What People Say:

Butler

No Idea:

Holmes

Paul

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2

this draft was definitely different than the prior years.  this year they focused on getting Carson Wentz the additional weapons that he needs to succeed within the franchise.  i give it a B/C+ grade.  i just think we could of gotten a better player at our round 2 instead and probably have traded down  to get a late round 2/with later round 3 or early 4th.

B- for me

I like the players, but as others have pointed out a lot of these guys don't seem to have the pathway for massive amounts of playing time w/o injures forcing it like some player groups from previous drafts, so I'm unsure of their ability to greatly impact the team outside of providing insurance.

Out of all of them, I only see the WR logging true starter mins. The RB will get good carries, but I still expect Gibby to get the most touches and be our most utilized back overall.

Without opportunity, it is difficult for some of these guys to shine. Our new DT can have a great year, but what does that look like behind Allen and Payne.

Last year we had Jamin, Cosmi and Cheesman penciled in as sink or swim starters alongside whoever else decided to flash.

This is only a short term gripe however, as most of these dude did fill large depth holes and they could grow and replace the players they are currently behind. Phi/Payne, Butler/Apke, Howel/TH being the obvious ones.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I assume you mean in a bad way?

I mean maybe? Best safety in the draft is some of the worst hyperbole I’ve ever seen. He’s fast. He’s rangey. He’s athletic. Not a big fan of the way he tackles or his quality of tackling but that can be fixable. 

I see the ST upside for sure.

Hes a developmental safety that has the tools to be successful for sure. But he isn’t even CLOSE to the best safety in the draft at this point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Giving it a B because we got a steal in the 5th round. Howell reminds me of Steve Young. Not sold on pick #1 because you’ve got to be a special playmaker( one that defenses game plan for) to be drafted here. I hope he drives defenses crazy, but not sure that will happen. And, as some have mentioned, personality issues arose on our defensive front this year, so I’m good with the 2nd pick. Phil can play and make a difference at this level if Payne won’t sign a reasonable contract after this year. Was a team captain at Alabama. Robinson is a strong runner that can get the tough yards when needed. The rest will have to prove they can make a difference against NFL competition, as usual. 

Edited by wolfsire

Well, according to the media mocks and big boards, it wasn't really that great of a draft. But those aren't always reliable in the end. 

All I can say is that throughout the ES Mock Draft, I learned about a ton of players and pretty much decided if I wanted them on the team or not. Washington drafted two I liked in Dotson and Mathis. Regardless of whether or not they were taken too high, I'm pretty confident they'll be quality players. Howell being available was a major surprise. I came into the draft not wanting any quarterbacks, but I don't hate that pick in the 5th. It certainly gives us another intriguing option if the The Carson Wentz Experience poops the bed. I can see him coming in with a chip on his shoulder and wanting to really prove himself. 

As for the rest of the guys, I haven't a single clue. I'll see what happens with the rest of free agency to determine whether or not I'll place a $10,000 bet on them to win it all next year. 

• Like 1

Besides Dotson, I don't see any of these players getting much playing time.  I said this in the other thread, should have just taken Hamilton and then a WR in the second.  That would have been two starters right there.  Ron's worst draft here in my opinion.  

• Like 3

Wasn't a superstar class. It was the build your core draft class. And we drafted the strength of the class. High floor, high character dudes that will contribute day 1 rounds 1-4.Finished out with a steal at developmental QB and some high upside fliers. Cole Turner could be a RedZone threat year 1 as well. I fully expect the Tulsa guard to develop and replace Wes at RG if not this year then next.

Brian Robinson, best bruiser in the class and the perfect Thunder to Gibsons lightning. 

Percy is McCains eventual replacement and I think it could be this year. High on him. (Slight bias, im a Cajun alum)

Very, very, very high on this draft.

What worries me is the lack of LBs and a Buffalo. Hope we have a plan post-draft.

My grade is B+, A-.

Edited by Forever A Redskin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Besides Dotson, I don't see any of these players getting much playing time.  I said this in the other thread, should have just taken Hamilton and then a WR in the second.  That would have been two starters right there.  Ron's worst draft here in my opinion.  

Except Ron said the 1st 4 picks are starters. 

Gotta go with a D.  I guess I was about a B+ on the last few which seemed to have been proven right.  I like getting a receiver early, and the potential of getting a player from someone like Butler, but overall on paper it seemed to be wasting a lot of picks as if the team was already a contender and just needed to fill backup spots. Player like Mathis and Robinson have to play much better than expected by experts for this draft not to suck.

That said, I think early grades are pointless, in 3 years no one cares about the names and grades, but just who actually panned out.  Its all about the talent evaluators/scouts, and whether the FO hired the right ones and listened to them.  They will get the names you havent heard of who will be the big time players.

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

The Film Doesn’t Show What People Say:

Butler

Brisker was available in the second round, Chicago selected him right after our pick. I hope we won't regret it.

This draft class looks really average, but I'm no scout.

Edited by FrFan

I whiffed very badly this year with prospects, so much so that I'm questioning my ability to provide any sort of *cough* quality insight.

But what the heck :) 

I'd go B- and the Sam Howell pick greatly boosted the grade for me because that was an absolute steal.

Just for a fun exercise, here's who'd I would have gone with the same selections. Might I suggest this for others to for fun. I love the Howell pick but will go a different route because it would have been a no-brainer to take him there.

#16 LB Devin Lloyd

# 47 OL Luke Goedeke

#98 TE Cade Otton

#113 DT Eyioma Uwazurike

#144 WR Khalil Shakir

#149 RB Jerome Ford

#230 S Markquese Bell

#240 C Dohnovan West

• Like 2