Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Commanders Cole Turner TE Nevada

PCS

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I know this is an ES tradition to get hyped in the summer for anybody with a pulse who's supposed to catch the ball, but isn't it just a little early to throw around references like Jimmy Graham? I feel like we should wait until he absolutely SCORCHES a training camp invite MLB in 7-on-7's before we talk about how this is the most stacked TE roster in the NFL since the Patriots had Gronk and the murderer.

Yell at Cooley, not us!

Actually, this is a thing Cooley always does in his analysis and people don't always take it the right way, usually when he does a comp it's more about style than being as good.  I think the take away is he sees him as being a Jimmy Graham style player, and he think he'll be pretty good.  That's not the same thing as saying he's as good as Jimmy Graham.

Edited by Bifflog

13 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

Yell at Cooley, not us!

Actually, this is a thing Cooley always does in his analysis and people don't always take it the right way, usually when he does a comp it's more about style than being as good.  I think the take away is he sees him as being a Jimmy Graham style player, and he think he'll be pretty good.  That's not the same thing as saying he's as good as Jimmy Graham.

I listened to his segment and Sheehan brought up Jimmy Graham not Cooley (unless I'm mistaken).  Cooley just went along with it.

10 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I know this is an ES tradition to get hyped in the summer for anybody with a pulse who's supposed to catch the ball, but isn't it just a little early to throw around references like Jimmy Graham? I feel like we should wait until he absolutely SCORCHES a training camp invite MLB in 7-on-7's before we talk about how this is the most stacked TE roster in the NFL since the Patriots had Gronk and the murderer.

Not excited for Ted Bolser 2.0? The next Dennis Morris? The second coming of Tyler Ecker? Who wouldn't want that! 😛

I listened to Cooley as well and I think he has a hard time with comps. I understand because then you are basically saying this guy is gonna be a Kelce or Jimmy Graham. He likes him a lot and so far our coaches have done a good job with Logan Thomas and John Bates. Moral of the story. Let it play out but exciting pick. 

I guess comparing a player's skills and body type to another is different than comparing their career outcomes.  The latter depends so heavily on situation and opportunity and luck that comparisons usually don't hold up well when you consider them in this way.  Then there is another layer in the comparison pertaining to consistency that the traits show up for each.  A lot of prospects will have moments where they flash elite traits strongly reminiscent of the best players in the sport, but they aren't consistent.  Josh Doctson and Brandon Lloyd for example.

Making comparisons between NFL players or traits and prospects is the core of scouting because what you're doing is saying I've seen this work or fail before in the NFL, therefore it will probably do so again.  But it gets really hard to parse out what was a product of the situation and what can more broadly translate.  I don't like comparing prospects to legendary players because there is way too much baggage to get confused by in trying to parse the comparison out.  Take Chris Olave for example.  He has traits and playing style in common with two other prominent players: Marvin Harrison and Calvin Ridley.  All three players basically have the same skill set and style of play, but I'd rather make a comparison between Ridley and Olave because Harrison's career outcome was so stunningly great that it's too easy to get carried away with that success and not realize much of it was a product of his situation and that won't be coming with Olave when you draft him.  Players like Harrison can have a career outcome like Ridley in a different situation, and that's also the far more likely outcome, so sometimes it's best not to even bring up that very unlikely ceiling comparison.

8 hours ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I listened to Cooley as well and I think he has a hard time with comps. I understand because then you are basically saying this guy is gonna be a Kelce or Jimmy Graham. He likes him a lot and so far our coaches have done a good job with Logan Thomas and John Bates. Moral of the story. Let it play out but exciting pick. 

Agree.   When people do comps I don't take it seriously to the extent that said player will end up as good as the player that they are compared to.   I take it more as a comp to their style of play.  I think that's what Cooley in particular does.

Cooley has been pretty good at his player evaluations.  One of the only people I recall that said that Josh Allen was the best Qb in that class, he was way higher on TJ Watt than the typical NFL drafter, he loved him.  He's called most of the hits and misses in real time of their signings here in both FA and the draft.  The main miss I recall was he wasn't high on Kendall Fuller and lol I recall him debating McCloughan on it on air once.  He was down on Doctson fast and explained why, and people gave him grief for that at the time but he ended up vindicated.  He was down on Haskins.  He was down on some of the FA signings when they went down, I recall him goofying on Kendal Reyes among other players when they signed them.  

Not that his take is gospel, no one is.  But I like that a TE like him who likes doing film review is high on him.  Logan Paulsen I noticed isn't that high on Turner but he doesn't dislike him.  It should be interesting to see how it plays out and who ends up right.  I like both Cooley and Paulsen but I tend to agree with Cooley more.  And I was high on Turner predraft so I'll ride with Cooley's optimism since it mirrors mine.   But i am usually cautious with TEs rookie season, TE is a spot that tends to take awhile for players to shine, so I am doubting Turner sets the world on fire this season. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

So our new TE coach, Juan Castillo, has 1 year of previous experience coaching TEs?  In 1997?

He’s got a lengthy resume to be sure, but is he really the best choice to replace Hoerner?  Particularly when all of our TEs are so young/new to the position? 

On the bright side, he’s got loads of experience coaching oline, and Reyes, Turner, and even Thomas could use a lot tutelage in blocking…

He’s also been a defensive coordinator (for the Eagles, which I vaguely recall), so that lends an interesting perspective to the TE position.

21 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

So our new TE coach, Juan Castillo, has 1 year of previous experience coaching TEs?  In 1997?

He’s got a lengthy resume to be sure, but is he really the best choice to replace Hoerner?  Particularly when all of our TEs are so young/new to the position? 

On the bright side, he’s got loads of experience coaching oline, and Reyes, Turner, and even Thomas could use a lot tutelage in blocking…

He’s also been a defensive coordinator (for the Eagles, which I vaguely recall), so that lends an interesting perspective to the TE position.

Yes he is. Checks the box of having worked with Ron before lol

I guess it is good to have him aboard in case Matsko retires soon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

If I remember correctly, amidst the tragedy of what happened with Andy’s son already straining the end of his time in PHI, the insistence that his OL coach become the DC was one of the last straws I believe. Obviously Andy found great success after, and the Eagles after some missteps won their first SB, so it worked out for everyone…but a new start was needed by all parties for various reasons. And I remember the Castillo hire was one of the final nails in that coffin. 

• Thumb up 1

On 5/17/2022 at 7:35 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

.  Logan Paulsen I noticed isn't that high on Turner but he doesn't dislike him.  It should be interesting to see how it plays out and who ends up right.  I like both Cooley and Paulsen but I tend to agree with Cooley more.  And I was high on Turner predraft so I'll ride with Cooley's optimism since it mirrors mine.   But i am usually cautious with TEs rookie season, TE is a spot that tends to take awhile for players to shine, so I am doubting Turner sets the world on fire this season. 

Kinda funny that Logan Paulsen (the blocking tight end) is less enthusiastic about Turner than Cooley. It could be one of those... "I don't see a reflection of me in him" kind of deals. Paulsen's understanding of a tight end's duties were almost completely about being a blocker. Cooley was more of a weapon. 

From what I read, Turner is much more a receiver than a blocker. Much more of a Cooley than a Paulsen.

Rivera's biggest weakness (in my opinion) is either loyalty or lack of imagination. He not only can't think outside the box... he has a difficult time imagining that anything exists outside of his box.

22 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Kinda funny that Logan Paulsen (the blocking tight end) is less enthusiastic about Turner than Cooley. It could be one of those... "I don't see a reflection of me in him" kind of deals. Paulsen's understanding of a tight end's duties were almost completely about being a blocker. Cooley was more of a weapon. 

From what I read, Turner is much more a receiver than a blocker. Much more of a Cooley than a Paulsen.

Rivera's biggest weakness (in my opinion) is either loyalty or lack of imagination. He not only can't think outside the box... he has a difficult time imagining that anything exists outside of his box.

I thought the exact same re. Cooley/Paulsen… funny.

As to point/opinion on Rivera - hmm… I have a tough time either agreeing or disagreeing, and I think that’s because it’s so much harder (at least for me anyway) to quantify/qualify that take in a head coach versus an OC/DC.  I’d be interested in you expounding on that point.  And to be clear, I’m talking about the outside the box bit, I get the loyalty issue of course.

Edited by skinny21

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Because hiring coaches that you aren't familiar with is a great idea.

Every coach hires from their own coaching tree. Every single one.

Sure, but every organization needs some new blood. Otherwise, the ideas and possible solutions grow stale.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Because hiring coaches that you aren't familiar with is a great idea.

Every coach hires from their own coaching tree. Every single one.

Sure, but hiring an offensive line coach to handle TEs?  I’m not saying it’s crazy or anything, but wouldn’t you rather roll the dice on a respected/experienced TE coach even if you didn’t have the familiarity?  I do get that familiarity is important though.

And of course, I’m not sure they’re from the same coaching tree… I mean, Ron’s a defensive coach.  They’ve coached on the same team, but that’s different, right?  The coaching tree should probably be about Turner instead, and Castillo coached in a West Coast system under Reid.  I’m sure there’s overlap, but… 🤷‍♂️

Sure, but hiring an offensive line coach to handle TEs?  I’m not saying it’s crazy or anything, but wouldn’t you rather roll the dice on a respected/experienced TE coach even if you didn’t have the familiarity?  I do get that familiarity is important though.

And of course, I’m not sure they’re from the same coaching tree… I mean, Ron’s a defensive coach.  They’ve coached on the same team, but that’s different, right?  The coaching tree should probably be about Turner instead, and Castillo coached in a West Coast system under Reid.  I’m sure there’s overlap, but… 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, maybe and I honestly don't know enough about him to know if it's a good move or not. I just think the "Ron hiring/signing his guys is bad" line of thinking is ****ing stupid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, maybe and I honestly don't know enough about him to know if it's a good move or not. I just think the "Ron hiring/signing his guys is bad" line of thinking is ****ing stupid.

I gotcha, and I tend to agree.  Makes a huge difference when you can trust someone, have faith in them, know how they operate and communicate well with them.  Of course, being good at the job should always the top requisite, and Castillo’s resume doesn’t (by itself) speak to being a good TE coach… 

I’m gonna trust Ron here, but it’s a questionable hire IMO.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I gotcha, and I tend to agree.  Makes a huge difference when you can trust someone, have faith in them, know how they operate and communicate well with them.  Of course, being good at the job should always the top requisite, and Castillo’s resume doesn’t (by itself) speak to being a good TE coach… 

I’m gonna trust Ron here, but it’s a questionable hire IMO.

Maybe having an Oline minded coach for TEs like Reyes, Cole and Thomas who all cant block for **** is intentional. Idk.

I bet he ****ing loves Bates though 

• Thumb up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sandwiched between a trip to Chapel Hill, N.C., where he’d scout a quarterback, and a day out west to check on a highly touted receiver, Scott Turner squeezed in dinner and a private workout in Reno, Nev.

Amid a packed few weeks of cross-country travel, with an eye primarily on quarterbacks and receivers, Turner and other members of the Washington Commanders’ coaching and personnel staff took a detour of sorts. They wanted a close-up look at a 6-foot-5 former basketball player and wideout from the University of Nevada who they felt had promise as a tight end.

“Everybody thought we were working out [quarterback] Carson Strong,” Turner said in a recent interview. “But really, we were there to see Cole Turner.”

In the Commanders’ short history with Ron Rivera as head coach and Scott Turner as offensive coordinator, they’ve learned to love the converts — the receivers who transitioned to running back, the cornerbacks who moved to safety, and especially the athletes of all stripes who switched to tight end — receivers, quarterbacks even international basketball players.

“It's kind of something we look for because my first year here, one of the things we talked about was position-flex guys, being able to move around and do different things,” Rivera said. “Well, it's one of those things that kind of applies to the tight end position.”

Cole Turner, a 6-foot-6, 240-pound former basketball player and receiver who switched to tight end two years ago, is the youngest of the group at 22, but perhaps the most promising. A fairly raw receiver coming out of Clackamas, Ore., Turner was a lanky 190 pounds when he started his college career. But in three years he filled out to 250, fitting the bill as a red zone weapon and a magnet for 50-50 balls. Like his one-handed back-shoulder catch on a fade route against Idaho State last year. Or his touchdown three weeks later against Boise State when he spun 180 degrees, falling almost parallel to the ground in the corner of the end zone.

“We just did that against everybody we played,” said Jay Norvell, the former head coach at Nevada who was tabbed this year to lead Colorado State. “Everybody in our stadium knew we were going to do it. The defense knew we were going to do it.”

In Nevada’s Air Raid offense, Cole Turner was used primarily as a receiver, but Norvell found plenty of ways to exploit Turner as a mismatch.

“[Bill] Belichick used to talk about the tight end and say, ‘It’s the one position that changes every formation in football. When you move the tight ends around, the defense has to adjust,'” Norvell said. “So I always remembered that. I loved putting all our receivers on one side and flex Cole out of the backside. They would have to flip the corners over or they’d have to play a safety or linebacker on him, and every time they did it was a mismatch.”

Castillo could see the potential for even more. In the months ahead of the draft, he spoke often with his receivers and the tight ends coach at Nevada, Chad Savage (now the receivers coach at Colorado State). Castillo also met with Cole Turner at the combine and again in Reno for dinner, alongside Scott Turner and Washington executive vice president Marty Hurney.

“When you sit like that, you get a good feel for the individual,” Castillo said. “And he’s been everything I thought he’d be, plus more — being a hard worker is very important to him, his craft is very important, he’s willing to do the extra work, he can handle adversity and he’s a physical kid.”

To try to prove Castillo right, Cole Turner spent much of his offseason training for the draft in Irvine, Calif., with Joe Staley, the former 49ers offensive tackle, and John Garrett, the brother of Jason Garrett and previous head coach at Lafayette College. Their focus: blocking.

“It’s something that I know a lot of people always like to call that a knock in my game,” Cole Turner said. “I want to make it a strength and I want to be an all-around player.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/06/16/commanders-cole-turner-tight-ends/

• Thanks 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Hamstring injuries are adding up with several players dealing with this training camp menace.

Healing time is minimum 2 weeks (10 days to be exact) for the most superficial tear.

Even slightly more than superficial adds a week or more. Grade 2 hammy is 6-8 weeks. That's

the kind of tear when you see bruising (blood) at the affected site.

With a month left until the games count, all the current hamstring guys can be ready.

• Like 1