Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Washington Commanders Brian Robinson RB Alabama

PCS

On 7/2/2022 at 11:29 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Dude consistently breaks 40 yard runs against 8 and 9 man boxes. Hes a little better than 3rd and short.

I didn’t mean to imply that’s all I thought he was good for, only emphasis how important the ability to pick up 3 yards when you need it Is to overall success.  

Edited by evmiii
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

I agree, he was brought in for that role, I just meant I wasn't overly impressed with him even in that role, he looked pretty slow to me even for a bruiser and I fear that in the nfl he'll look even slower. 

But I'm no evaluator of talent I certainly could be wrong and hope I am.

IMO, you’re right in that his lack of speed and explosiveness will very much limit him.  On the other hand, I think his vision and subtle movements* allow him to set up blockers really well, mess with defender’s contact points and angles.  And then his size comes into play - defenders that take proper angles, avoid blockers and break down (to avoid the subtle jukes) are now stationary and having to take the hit from a big back.  So, similarly to Alfred Morris (not in running styles, but in effectiveness and limitations), I think he’s a singles and doubles type of back.  I don’t see him as a potential upper tier back in the NFL due to the limitations, yet I could still see him being quite successful (especially as part of a committee). 

*I’m having trouble articulating what I mean by this (subtle movements), but essentially - he has the ability to put his foot in the ground and not lose speed.  It’s not the hard plant and explosion off it, but that shift of 10 or 20 degrees or whatever that leads to arm tackles or takes advantage of defenders coming in hot.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

*I’m having trouble articulating what I mean by this (subtle movements), but essentially - he has the ability to put his foot in the ground and not lose speed.  It’s not the hard plant and explosion off it, but that shift of 10 or 20 degrees or whatever that leads to arm tackles or takes advantage of defenders coming in hot.

He's a power back with just enough wiggle to keep things interesting. I'm really looking forward to watching this guy play...he's got a great skillset to compliment Gibson + McKissic. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Conservation of momentum.

Efficiency in his movement.

He may not be stupid explosive, but there are not drastic valleys or openings when he runs that make him easy to tackle at any given point.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Commander Wolffe said:

The offensive discussion has mostly been about Wentz, Jahan and a healthy Samuel. The underrated addition could be Brian Robinson.

~Wolffe

He should really round out the RB group in a way that was lacking last season.

This should also let Gibson be the super athlete he is, especially after losing 15-20 pounds. No longer will he get worn out smashing into the line for tough yardage.

29 minutes ago, Conn said:

Gibson won’t lose close to 20lbs lol but I agree that any way he can accentuate his explosiveness will help, he’s not a bellcow and now we have the RB talent to utilize him correctly. 

He was drafted at 230 and now he's supposedly around 210? Rumors are he lost a lot of weight.

11 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

He was drafted at 230 and now he's supposedly around 210? Rumors are he lost a lot of weight.

It’s hard to say, as he competed at the combine at 228, he’s been listed for years at 220 (the team listing is the one I have the least trust in, it’s not based on anything verifiable), and he says himself he played at 235 last year. It would be surprising if a guy who managed to keep on that much mass all season (assuming he’s correct and that wasn’t his OTA weight) got all the way down near 210. Usually guys lose weight throughout the season as they work out less and work for recovery more.  

Even if we use your numbers (230–>210), that would be losing almost 9% of his body mass which was already obviously mostly muscle. That’s a LOT of weight to lose. Even more if he’s correct and he was playing at 235. 

We don’t actually know what he’s at right now, all we know is that he says he has a diet and workout routine to cut out “bad weight”. I don’t know where your 210 number came from, but most athletes say that when they want to trade fat for muscle, not because they want to literally weigh less. I would guess he doesn’t necessarily have a specific super light weight in mind but just wants to feel lighter on his feet, agility-wise. 

• Like 1

Gibson's weight doesn't matter. There is now a natural runner and brusier in town. A few more sweeps, outside zone, screens and slot production will be more beneficial to his skill set. 

When it's time to move the chains, wear out the clock and punch it in the end zone you know what time it is. B-ROB.

Know about it!

~Wolffe 

Edited by Commander Wolffe
  • Like 1

He has a similar view on his situation with Washington. Robinson’s work at organized team activities and minicamp earned high praise from the coaching staff.

“He’s a perfectionist,” Jordan said. “So he may break off 20 yards, and I’m back there clapping, and I’m like, ‘Great job.’ He’s pissed because he didn’t go for 40.”

Rivera has complimented Robinson’s footwork and lateral speed, and the coaching staff appreciates the caliber of opponents Robinson faced in college. Rivera said he watched tape of Robinson playing Georgia and Auburn to gauge his performance against top talent.

Jordan lauded Robinson’s college coaches for preparing him well for the next level. In his last year with the Crimson Tide, Robinson worked with running backs coach Robert Gillespie. His previous position coach, Charles Huff, is now the head coach at Marshall.

With the Commanders, who open training camp next week, Robinson joins another position coach with a stellar reputation. Jordan has coached Adrian Peterson and Alfred Morris, and he often shows Peterson’s tape to Robinson.

“He loves AP, by the way,” Jordan said. “Anytime I put some AP tape on, he lights up like a Christmas tree.”

During minicamp, mentions of Robinson’s name elicited similar reactions from multiple teammates, including guard Trai Turner and wide receiver Dyami Brown. Robinson’s locker is a few spots away from Brown’s, which the wideout said allowed them to get acquainted quickly. Meanwhile, joining the Commanders meant the rookie running back was reunited with defensive tackle Daron Payne, one of five Alabama products on the roster.

“He’s like a little brother to me,” Payne said. “He always comes to me asking me about things, and I try to give him the best knowledge that I can. I’m excited to see him run the ball this year.”

The Alabama connections extend further: Another member of Robinson’s draft class is college teammate Phidarian Mathis, a defensive tackle. When asked for his scouting report on Robinson at the Senior Bowl, Mathis told reporters, “It’s like hitting an old-school Cadillac.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/07/21/brian-robinson-commanders-running-back/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wp_sports

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

We have a very intriguing 3 headed monster at RB this year.

It’s the best collection of backs and receivers that we’ve had in dan’s tenure. Portis is probably the best pure back we’ve ever had but betts and whoever was behind him don’t have as much potential as McK and Brob and I love the combination of skill sets. Santana was great but was given a bunch of nobodies across from him. It’s a really intriguing group of skill players and excited to see it all come together.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 12:53 AM, illone said:

BRod has some wiggle for a big dude. 

He creates a major problem in the Red Zone. Any goal down and a defense has to get multiple guys to tackle him or it's a TD. Creates opportunity for wide open fakes, boots, or QB keepers. Wentz is really good at sneaks and goal line boots. Red Zone efficiency should go up dramatically.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1