Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Washington Commanders Brian Robinson RB Alabama

PCS

3 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Its not so much that they prioritized defense. Rodgers on the Pat Mcafee show said they had every intention of taking a WR in the first. They had 1st round grades on 6 WRs. Once those 6 wrs were gone then the focus shifted to the defense and then they traded up for Watson in the 2nd

If you watched the Packers lose to teams running the ball down their throats in the playoffs the last half decade, you'll understand what I meant. 

• Like 2

On 5/6/2022 at 8:36 PM, Riggo'sRangers said:

Imho Robinson, in all the film I’ve watched, is more RB agile than Gibson. He is a pure RB, not converted, and there is a huge difference. This sets the plate nicely for us and we can use Gibson as a weapon instead of forcing a RB fit. He can have more dynamic plays, and remember, he was a receiver first.  Excited to see how it evolves. With the addition of Wentz, drafting Dotson, Robinson, Cole Turner (yes, I feel he is a difference maker), a healthy Curtis Samuel…well, it could be quite spicy.  I like it, very much. Hail 

I'm no film expert, but his YouTube cutups to me look like he has good vision and moves inside the tackles while running downhill. On first blush, he doesn't look "big" - he looks tall and upright. That said, his size appears comparable to his predecessor at Alabama (Harris) which may signal that he can take that beating even though Harris is better than he is. 

I'm excited about Gibson being used more creatively now that there is a guy on the roster that's a more traditional RB. Could really unlock some fun things on O.

• Like 4

On 5/10/2022 at 4:07 PM, IrepDC said:

If you watched the Packers lose to teams running the ball down their throats in the playoffs the last half decade, you'll understand what I meant. 

Not going to win any game with 10 points.

Loss in 2022 to SF they gave up 3.6 ypa

Loss in 2021 to TB they gave up 77 yards on 24 attempts for 3.2 ypa

Loss in 2020 to SF yes Run defense was abysmal but they also lost the TO battle 0-3. All 3 turnovers within their own 25. 

Loss in 2019 to ATL was 3.36 ypa. Also lost the TO battle 0-2

Loss in 2016 to Ari was 2.01 YPA. Again lost the TO battle

In the end the stats playout that TOs played far more of an issue than Run defense. 

Ultimately Run defense plays no bearing in sustained Win loss over time. Want a better run defense? Score more points. Theres little difference in running the ball for 3.75 yards vs 4.5. The issue becomes a problem when the other team can run the ball 25 times a game vs 17. The more points you score and efficiently score points the less teams run against you. 

Welcome to the analytically moving forward NFL.

Edited by Zim489

On 5/14/2022 at 7:48 PM, KillBill26 said:

B Rob is my favorite pick in this draft, and I'm proud to announce I landed him in the 10th round of my dynasty startup draft.  I wouldn't be surprised if he is getting more carries than AG by next season.

I think it's very realistic to predict an almost even number of carries, but I feel like the smart money is with you considering AG seemingly always gets hurt. I really hope they change AG's usage and try to get him in open space more than running up the middle. BR can handle the load there. 

Edited by duffy
  • Like 3

Reading all of your posts and watching the video clips I'm thinking Robinson was picked to play a bigger role than I originally thought. This kid may become our next feature back sooner than later. Not sure what that means for Gibson?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Reading all of your posts and watching the video clips I'm thinking Robinson was picked to play a bigger role than I originally thought. This kid may become our next feature back sooner than later. Not sure what that means for Gibson?

Well, when you get benched multiple times in a losing season, you can expect to lose your job.

• Like 2

I think Robinson does become the #1 true RB.

I mentioned this point earlier in the offseason, I’m interested to see how we utilise Gibson and Curtis Samuel.

Samuel is on big money, we need to get serious production out of his to justify that in the next 2 seasons.

Robinson sure looks like he has the makings of a very good back for us though.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

We said this on draft day.

We've also been saying that Gibson can now carry the ball 5-15 times a game, depending on how he's running... maybe more if he's on fire... but can add 4-5 receptions and act as a legitimate threat decoy in the slot or motioning out of the backfield at times. Gibson becomes MORE valuable as a secondary back and a primary weapon. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We said this on draft day.

We've also been saying that Gibson can now carry the ball 5-15 times a game, depending on how he's running... maybe more if he's on fire... but can add 4-5 receptions and act as a legitimate threat decoy in the slot or motioning out of the backfield at times. Gibson becomes MORE valuable as a secondary back and a primary weapon. 

Gibson in the Deebo role? JD as the 3rd down back....Robinson becomes the primary ball carrier on running downs? We should have a lot of fresh legs on offense in the skill positions with the depth we've built. 

• Thumb up 1

The only time I can see Samuel playing in the backfield is when we run two back offense, like with shotgun based options.  But even then, I'd expect most two back work to go to Robinson and Gibson.

Could be an exciting wrinkle in the offense though.  Our skill players are pretty fast, but they aren't next level fast like Samuel was (hope he still is).  His creativity and ability to turn up field or reverse field are special too, so getting him the ball with space via backfield touches are potential explosive plays.

• Like 1

Just now, Going Commando said:

The only time I can see Samuel playing in the backfield is when we run two back offense, like with shotgun based options.  But even then, I'd expect most two back work to go to Robinson and Gibson.

Could be an exciting wrinkle in the offense though.  Our skill players are pretty fast, but they aren't next level fast like Samuel was (hope he still is).  His creativity and ability to turn up field or reverse field are special too, so getting him the ball with space via backfield touches are potential explosive plays.

Even in his limited snaps last year, you could tell the difference on the field.  He was way quicker than anyone on the field.

3 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Even in his limited snaps last year, you could tell the difference on the field.  He was way quicker than anyone on the field.

Yeah that's true.  Doesn't seem like you should be able to tell the difference between 4.38 speed and 4.30 speed, but you can somehow.  Curtis is really shocking in how quickly he gears up after he's made his up field turn on a reverse or screen or after he makes his final break in his route.  Just really explosive acceleration due to his short stride.  He's a really energetic player too and I feel like that innate quickness is just part of his personality, like he lives at a different speed than the rest of us.

It'd be nice to have him healthy this year.  His speed on crossing routes really puts a lot of pressure on the defense and takes it off the OL because you can run long developing concepts more easily.  Wentz's creativity in the pocket could be helpful there too.  There are not many corners that can run with Curtis for 30 yards across the field without help from their deep zone defenders, plus he's a huge run after catch threat if you really fall behind hum and he gets the ball with enough space before the sideline to make that up field turn.

• Like 1

I always thought Gibson was overrated af, this dude likes like a poor man’s Henry. We have a shifty RB in JD, need this dude to straight up run people over. Excited to watch him. Gibson will fumble with game 1 on the line and then it’s Brian’s time 

22 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

1) He had fumbling issues at critical moments during the season

2) His body is still getting used to taking the punishment of being a featured RB - maybe this is a way to ensure he doesn't wear down

3) The coaching staff might start to use him more creatively now that we have more of a bell cow RB on the roster (this would be a good thing, IMO)

14 hours ago, max21 said:

I always thought Gibson was overrated af, this dude likes like a poor man’s Henry. We have a shifty RB in JD, need this dude to straight up run people over. Excited to watch him. Gibson will fumble with game 1 on the line and then it’s Brian’s time 

I don't think Gibson is overrated, I think he was just used wrong. We drafted a college WR who was also used at times to run the ball as a dual threat or change of pace guy and tried to stuff him into the role of an every down between the Tackles RB, which is just not what he is. It drove me nuts when they started using him that way. Hopefully now with Robinson it will allow them to actually play to AG's strengths and use him well.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I don't think Gibson is overrated, I think he was just used wrong. We drafted a college WR who was also used at times to run the ball as a dual threat or change of pace guy and tried to stuff him into the role of an every down between the Tackles RB, which is just not what he is. It drove me nuts when they started using him that way. Hopefully now with Robinson it will allow them to actually play to AG's strengths and use him well.

Sure I think they were hoping he turns into a Mixon/CMC type of workhorse back who can catch and also run, I just don’t think he’s on quite on their level and won’t really ever be. With Robinson we could have a big workhorse back with also JD and Gibson. That’s a pretty good backfield imo. 

3 minutes ago, max21 said:

Sure I think they were hoping he turns into a Mixon/CMC type of workhorse back who can catch and also run, I just don’t think he’s on quite on their level and won’t really ever be. With Robinson we could have a big workhorse back with also JD and Gibson. That’s a pretty good backfield imo. 

I think “McCaffrey-lite” is a fairly reasonable comp for Gibson.  Don’t think Gibson has nearly the vision in traffic that McCaffrey does, but they’re both dynamic guys that can produce between the tackles, yet are probably better off on the outside and catching the ball in space. I think both have been slightly misused and can/could use running mates that handle more of the inside load.

I like that we now have more/better overlap - 2 guys that can run inside the tackles, 2 that can pass protect, 2 guys with the speed to run off tackle/gain the edge, and all 3 can handle pass catching duties.  That versatility and overlap should also help our 2 back sets, which I expect us to run a bit more often - whether they both stay in the backfield or we motion one (or even both on occasion) out.  Might be a good way to buy time early in the season for Thomas to get healthy/ready.

I've soured a lot on Gibson. I think most of his success came from us having a great offensive line and good play calling. He can't be counted on and he's now going to be the RB2 to Robinson and McKissis on his downs. I don't think he'll see a lot of touches at all, unless really needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, max21 said:

Yeah that seems to be what they were hoping, but IMO it was stupid. Both Mixon and CMC were RBs first who could catch passes well second, so everyone already knew they had the capabilities (and durability) to be full time RBs. Gibson was the opposite. He was a WR first and a RB second. It was just a dumb thing to do and they seem to have (hopefully) learned their lesson.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I've soured a lot on Gibson. I think most of his success came from us having a great offensive line and good play calling. He can't be counted on and he's now going to be the RB2 to Robinson and McKissis on his downs. I don't think he'll see a lot of touches at all, unless really needed.

You’re welcome to your opinion of course, but I’d just point out -

1) he only fumbled twice in his last 9 games

2) mid year RR said he’s only scratching the surface

3) Gibson himself said he’s had so much to learn and that the finale against the Giants last year was his first game where he felt he really put it all together

4) yes, he’s had numerous injuries, including turf toe both years and a hairline shin fracture through most of last year, but he battled through them

5) I believe I saw a stat from late in the year he was something like 6th in broken tackles and 3rd in yards after contact - so while I’m sure he missed a lot of what was blocked for him, he also created on his own

He’s had a heck of an uphill battle in terms of development and has still performed at a high level, so I wouldn’t be too hard on the dude.  With all of that said, you could be right about his touches.  I’d be surprised, but Robinson and McKissick are a good pairing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

You’re welcome to your opinion of course, but I’d just point out -

1) he only fumbled twice in his last 9 games

2) mid year RR said he’s only scratching the surface

3) Gibson himself said he’s had so much to learn and that the finale against the Giants last year was his first game where he felt he really put it all together

4) yes, he’s had numerous injuries, including turf toe both years and a hairline shin fracture through most of last year, but he battled through them

5) I believe I saw a stat from late in the year he was something like 6th in broken tackles and 3rd in yards after contact - so while I’m sure he missed a lot of what was blocked for him, he also created on his own

He’s had a heck of an uphill battle in terms of development and has still performed at a high level, so I wouldn’t be too hard on the dude.  With all of that said, you could be right about his touches.  I’d be surprised, but Robinson and McKissick are a good pairing.

That's fine. He did get benched twice last year, with only Patterson behind him, so coach speak aside, he's in prove it to me grounds now. Not saying he can't though.

• Like 1

Talking of upright running style, wasn’t that a knock on Jamal Lewis and Eddie George? I’d take either one of those guys to share the field with Mckissic and Gibson. I’m not saying Robinson will become them, but I’m not saying he won’t either. 

As long as he doesn’t turn into Matt Jones and shy away from contact, he will at least be good.

i just hope that we see some creativity with Gibson, McKissic, Samuel and Robinson. Seems like a versatile group on paper. Do we have the coaches to create matchups and take advantage of the defense? That is my big question going into this season. Unlike a lot, I actually have respect for Turner. I think he’s been hampered by poor QB play. Wentz will be the best guy he’s had and this will be the most versatile set of players he’s had. 

I am really down on this organization right now. But, that stems from Snyder. Rivera and this staff have me cautiously optimistic right now. I just hope the coaches aren’t as stubborn in their ways like we’ve seen so far……Del Rio

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Talking of upright running style, wasn’t that a knock on Jamal Lewis and Eddie George? I’d take either one of those guys to share the field with Mckissic and Gibson. I’m not saying Robinson will become them, but I’m not saying he won’t either. 

As long as he doesn’t turn into Matt Jones and shy away from contact, he will at least be good.

And Adrian Peterson and Derrick Henry too, basically any RB that's not short.  The key thing is what they do when contact is nearing.  They have to drop pad level and set themselves up to bounce off contact.  Robinson does.

Matt Jones never did, he was such a poor draft evaluation.  So bad.  "Next Marshawn Lynch" was such a terrible comparison, but Scot McCloughan had a good reputation...then at least.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Matt Jones never did, he was such a poor draft evaluation.  So bad.  "Next Marshawn Lynch" was such a terrible comparison, but Scot McCloughan had a good reputation...then at least.

Almost everything Scott evaluated here was poor. His first year we kinda hit on Brandon, Preston and Crowder but the next year when it was 100% Scott, it was a full failure.

• Like 2