Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wentz Traded to Washington for 2 3rd Rounders per Bleacher Report

Reaper Skins

Don't get me wrong, we all know how this will play out. But for the life of me I don't understand this level of criticism.  They were never in the running for the top guys. So their options were Mariotta, Tribusky and other failed starters.  At least with Wentz he showed the ability to play at a high level at one time, you just can't say that about the other available options. 

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Mrshadow008 said:

its not just Sheehan its Bmitch and Finlay as well. Grant and Danny dont particularly like the trade either but have atleast tried to look at both sides. Funny thing is I listened to Brams show for the first time yesterday due to something related to the commandalorian thing/something he had ordered from my wife. And he basically went in on those guys at audacy and Florio for a good half hour in reference to the way they were portraying the broadcast rights but made plenty of reference to the negativity coming from those shows.

You should have heard Bram's show from 2 days ago.  It was an hour and a half, and he was HOT.

My listening schedule used to be:

- Morning drive: Galdi Podcast

- Evening Drive: Sheehan Podcast OR Keim/Standig/Football Talk Pod (Finley's) if they had come out.

- Late Night: Bram's show in podcast mode, but only the topics I care about.  

I've dumped Sheehan.  Now I catch the first hour of Bram's show on the way home (it's typically out by the time I leave the office.  

Galdi is great. Insightful, entertaining, and he even played hurt this morning.  (Has a cold. Voice was gone.  Did the show anyway.)  Kiem and Standig typically know what they are talking about.  I really like Michael Philips when he's a guest on any of the shows.  I find him entertaining and insightful as well.  Football Talk Pod used to be better, but I still find them amusing.  

Sheehan has become so jaded and scorned, and so bitter about Snyder that he is absolutely unable to talk about anything else. And he's even made people telling him he can't talk about anything else a topic, getting defensive and saying you HAVE to always talk about the owner because he ALWAYS screws it up, so if you don't obsess over the owner on every topic, you're "limited" and "don't get it." It's like, we get it.  We've all lived here.  Let it go.  

Also, he's become so obsessed with being right, he'll go on and on about how he's right about this, right about that, yadda yadda yadda.  And where I think he used to be able to say, "yeah, I love Kirk, he wasn't good" that's almost gone in any topic now.  If he's wrong about something, he won't bring it up.  Or he'll bring it up and offer a full throated defense of how he's not wrong.  His rant on how "Kirk has a losing record because he's basically the most unlucky QB of all time" was comedy gold.  Except he didn't realize it was comedy.

His smell test even sucked this year.  I'm taking a full Sheehan detox.  For the first time in probably 15 years.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You should have heard Bram's show from 2 days ago.  It was an hour and a half, and he was HOT.

- Evening Drive: Sheehan Podcast OR Keim/Standig/Football Talk Pod (Finley's) if they had come out.

I've dumped Sheehan.  Now I catch the first hour of Bram's show on the way home (it's typically out by the time I leave the office.  

Galdi is great. Insightful, entertaining, and he even played hurt this morning.  (Has a cold. Voice was gone.  Did the show anyway.)  Kiem and Standig typically know what they are talking about.  I really like Michael Philips when he's a guest on any of the shows.  I find him entertaining and insightful as well.  Football Talk Pod used to be better, but I still find them amusing.  

Sheehan has become so jaded and scorned, and so bitter about Snyder that he is absolutely unable to talk about anything else. And he's even made people telling him he can't talk about anything else a topic, getting defensive and saying you HAVE to always talk about the owner because he ALWAYS screws it up, so if you don't obsess over the owner on every topic, you're "limited" and "don't get it." It's like, we get it.  We've all lived here.  Let it go.  

Also, he's become so obsessed with being right, he'll go on and on about how he's right about this, right about that, yadda yadda yadda.  And where I think he used to be able to say, "yeah, I love Kirk, he wasn't good" that's almost gone in any topic now.  If he's wrong about something, he won't bring it up.  Or he'll bring it up and offer a full throated defense of how he's not wrong.  His rant on how "Kirk has a losing record because he's basically the most unlucky QB of all time" was comedy gold.  Except he didn't realize it was comedy.

His smell test even sucked this year.  I'm taking a full Sheehan detox.  For the first time in probably 15 years.  

Yeah I pretty much stopped listening to bmitch and finlay around the time of the first Dallas game. Instead of talking about us being on a 4 game win streak with a big game against Dallas coming up all they did all week was blame the team for how expensive tickets were on the aftermarket. They then complained because the team opened up the SRO for $99 which was 3 to 4 times lower than tickets on the aftermarket. I think I’m done with Sheehan for a while as well. Between the narrative he seems to be pushing about the radio broadcast as well as him reporting that the team is struggling to sell season tickets which I’ve since found out is actually the opposite of the truth I’m done. I’m gonna start listening to Galdi, Bram, And the John Kiem podcasts from now on. Especially Bram after ordering a This is the way commanders sticker from my wife and shouting out her business Twitter page yesterday on his show. He didn’t have to do that but he did so he gained at least one loyal listener. 

• Like 1

Wentz is in a prove it year. He fails, he is no longer an nfl starter.

Ron has basically staked his Commanders career on Carson.

This blows up in Ron’s face; he’s not getting another chance. If Carson is a bust; we move on from Ron & his Gm crew. I don’t want them anywhere near here, in getting a qb in 23.

You bring in new people and an offensive head coach. If you have trade Chase to move up in the draft; do it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Wentz is in a prove it year. He fails, he is no longer an nfl starter.

Ron has basically staked his Commanders career on Carson.

This blows up in Ron’s face; he’s not getting another chance. If Carson is a bust; we move on from Ron & his Gm crew. I don’t want them anywhere near here, in getting a qb in 23.

You bring in new people and an offensive head coach. If you have trade Chase to move up in the draft; do it.

Only way I disagree with you is I can envision a scenario where Wentz is OK, not great and our defense looks great and that will save Rivera.

I’m most disappointed in the defense and if it doesn’t get fixed this season you really have to question the entire operation. It’s just not that difficult to improve a defense that it takes more than 3 years, if you know what you’re doing.

2 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

For me it's literally Super Bowl or bust.  Like have the first or last pick in the first round in 2023, that's it. I swear, if we "meh" it through this year and miss out on these quarterbacks, I'm gonna be so demoralized.

We could play Heinicke all season and not end up in range for the 2023 crop of elite QBs, look at our record last year with a tougher schedule and a (hopefully) worse roster. That wasn’t happening anyways. The only hope is to get over the hump and start building a reputation for being in the postseason mix, even if the SB itself is unrealistic. NFC is weak enough to make some noise though. 

Edited by Conn

3 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

For me it's literally Super Bowl or bust.  Like have the first or last pick in the first round in 2023, that's it.

Gird thy loins. Gird them well

I wanna see some of our young players who flashed show the ability to take over games.

A few of them have done it once or twice, but I'd love more high level consistency from McL, Gibby and the D line.

4 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPd5K1yPN/

Find this interesting. So the narrative has been that Carson doesn’t take criticism well. Well at the end of the season Kurt Warner was very critical of Carson and yet Carson is working out in the off-season with Kurt Warner 🤔

I watched that Kurt Warner youtube breakdown of Carson…

My biggest takeaway was that Kurt Warner is a freaking genius.  Not only does he have a high football IQ, but he’s able to explain it in a very teachable way.

Very good news to hear that Carson is working with Warner.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

I’m gonna start listening to Galdi, Bram, And the John Kiem podcasts from now on. Especially Bram after ordering a This is the way commanders sticker from my wife and shouting out her business Twitter page yesterday on his show. He didn’t have to do that but he did so he gained at least one loyal listener. 

I’d add Standig to your list as well.  It’s like Keim, maybe once or twice a week.  

A million years ago, Bram (on Redskins Lunch) was doing a bit about QBs and goofed on the reason Trent Green was not re-signed.  I emailed him and reminded him it was because the team had no owner and they couldn’t match the Rams offer.  He replied and said he would use it on the radio the next day. 

And the next day he said on the radio he got an email, gave me a shout out, and corrected himself.  

I’ve always likes Bram.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The guy has lost basic common sense.

I still don't know how he went full hardcore bandwagon hitched up to the Giants.  Top to Bottom he thought they were a great franchise, organization, team, roster, etc.  Which hasn't tracked based on the past decade.  Then the athletic article came out with whistleblowers talking about how nepotistic and incompetent the organization has been ran.  That was just icing on the top.

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’d add Standig to your list as well.  It’s like Keim, maybe once or twice a week.  

A million years ago, Bram (on Redskins Lunch) was doing a bit about QBs and goofed on the reason Trent Green was not re-signed.  I emailed him and reminded him it was because the team had no owner and they couldn’t match the Rams offer.  He replied and said he would use it on the radio the next day. 

And the next day he said on the radio he got an email, gave me a shout out, and corrected himself.  

I’ve always likes Bram.  

That's also a good look for Bram to say that on the show, because it tells a casual listener that he's got an informed and dedicated following of listeners.  It tells them that Bram isn't some random guy who stumbled into a radio show talking to nobody.

If you can bring up that you have an active base of listeners, it's a big plus.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ium786 said:

My biggest takeaway was that Kurt Warner is a freaking genius.  Not only does he have a high football IQ, but he’s able to explain it in a very teachable way.

Agreed. Great analysis by Warner. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I didn't see the video, can you summarize  

Went through the week 18 loss to Jax, showed how he felt Wentz was reading the D, staring backside to read the D for too long post snap, meaning he has to rush his throw once turned back looking down field.

Missing the easy shot outside, how he should read the inside corner better based on how the corners shoulder turn, ie inside. That should lead his thinking to go outside as the inside corner is clearly breaking easier on the ball. Things like that.

I scanned through it as it was 40 minutes. It’s encouraging that Wentz is taking advice from Warner. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ium786 said:

Absolutely.  If he can just get Carson to improve his eyes a bit, that could be a major boost to his game.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Well worth the watch, IMO.  Knowing Warner is working with him, I went from “yikes” post-video, to feeling a lot better about Wentz’s potential here.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 7:41 PM, Darth Tater said:

The only excitement from fans comes from those who are of a similar opinion as yours. The people who support Wentz only realize that it was the best we could do and may be excited by the upside while taking little downside risk.

Okay but I am a fan not a cult supporter. Whether I "Support" Wentz or not doesn't change that he was a bad move. I am more pointing at the insanity of some fans to see the same exact move that has failed over and over, but now this time expect something different.

Just call it what is, at least be honest. Wentz is a more injury prone QB that 2-teams have already given up on. Coming to a team with a very average O-line and holes all over the back 7 of the defense 

On 3/24/2022 at 9:41 PM, Warhead36 said:

I don't think its quite the same. McNabb and Smith were both well past their primes when we acquired them. Wentz isn't even 30 yet. 

But I do agree with the general notion of being sick of trading picks for other team's cast offs. I wanna draft and develop my own guy too. But this year's QB draft class just straight up sucks.

The good thing is we aren't really committed to Wentz beyond this year. He has no guaranteed money left. If he stinks up the joint this year, we cut him next off season and can take our shot at drafting a QB in a much better class. 

I just don't get the approach. At this point what was waiting another year and just filling the roster holes up. Again people can argue with me and others but we have 30 years of results that show this approach puts us on the same tier of the Jaguars, Jets, Bears, etc (except I have actually seen those teams reaching a conference championship in my lifetime).

I mean this is so lose-lose to me. Say Wentz does well and we go 10-7 and that wins the east. That makes this a 2nd, and a 3rd for Wentz and now he is looking for a new contract which I am sure our FO will fall over themselves to dish out. And I see it downhill from there.

Let's not kid ourselves. The Colts have a much better roster than us and Wentz went 9-8 with them

• Thumb down 1

3 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

Okay but I am a fan not a cult supporter. Whether I "Support" Wentz or not doesn't change that he was a bad move. I am more pointing at the insanity of some fans to see the same exact move that has failed over and over, but now this time expect something different.

Just call it what is, at least be honest. Wentz is a more injury prone QB that 2-teams have already given up on. Coming to a team with a very average O-line and holes all over the back 7 of the defense 

I do agree that "reclaimation projects" pretty much never work, but IMO Wentz is a bit of a different case. Reclaimation projects are usually guys taken high and who are busts and then other teams decide to take chances on.

Wentz wasn't a bust; at one point he was an MVP front runner prior to his injury. The issue with him isn't his talent, it's possibly his personality and how he handles adversity, criticism, etc. I'm not holding my breath but I also think there's way more of a chance for him to work out than a true "reclaimation project."

As far as our OL, it ended the season as PFF's 6th ranked line. So it's not average. We have some really good players there and it's actually our strongest unit most likely.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 11:36 AM, Darrell Green Fan said:

Don't get me wrong, we all know how this will play out. But for the life of me I don't understand this level of criticism.  They were never in the running for the top guys. So their options were Mariotta, Tribusky and other failed starters.  At least with Wentz he showed the ability to play at a high level at one time, you just can't say that about the other available options. 

I am not sure how this will play out.  And Wentz played at a pretty high level as recently as last year.  The big thing with him has always been consistency. 

But he had a bunch of very good games last year.  And a few horrible ones.  

So, shrug.  This is an entirely new group for him, a fresh start, so we’ll see .

7 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'll do better than that for you because I think it's one of the best surgical dissections of a qb's game that I've ever seen and I think every Commander fan can benefit by viewing it.

The amazing thing is that Wentz himself seems to have appreciated the criticism as he has reportedly been working out regularly with Kurt Warner this off season.

The two of them share a similar world view so Warner just might be the perfect mentor for Carson.

Tough love video follows...

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

I just don't get the approach. At this point what was waiting another year and just filling the roster holes up. Again people can argue with me and others but we have 30 years of results that show this approach puts us on the same tier of the Jaguars, Jets, Bears, etc (except I have actually seen those teams reaching a conference championship in my lifetime).

I mean this is so lose-lose to me. Say Wentz does well and we go 10-7 and that wins the east. That makes this a 2nd, and a 3rd for Wentz and now he is looking for a new contract which I am sure our FO will fall over themselves to dish out. And I see it downhill from there.

Let's not kid ourselves. The Colts have a much better roster than us and Wentz went 9-8 with them

There is something to be said about having some stability and building a winning culture and program before going for a QB.

When Andy Reid got to the Chiefs, he didn't draft a QB right away, even when he had the first overall pick his first year there. Instead he traded for Alex Smith and built up a winner first. They made the playoffs I believe every year, before trading up for Mahomes in 2017. 

There are lots of other examples of similar situations. The Ravens, Packers, and Steelers were all solid if not perennial playoff teams before drafting their franchise QBs(Ravens actually twice with both Flacco and Jackson). You could even put the Cowboys and Seahawks in that list, but I don't really count Dak and Russ Wilson since they were drafted in the middle rounds and noone saw either coming in as rookies and taking over the job.

In all likelihhood we will eventually have to get our guy in the draft and develop him the way winning franchises traditionally do it, but perhaps its the smart move to build up a roster first and maintain some competitiveness with Wentz. And maybe we get super lucky and Wentz ends up revitalizing his career here.

• Like 1