Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wentz Traded to Washington for 2 3rd Rounders per Bleacher Report

Reaper Skins

9 minutes ago, MrJL said:

oh man, accusing this board of homerism

here's the deal.  This team does not need a savior.  We've finished 1-2 games below 500 for four of the last five years, with frequently lousy QB play.  All he has to do is consistently play good and we could be two to three games better. 

I hope he can give us that. We will see.

• Thumb down 1

8 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I hope he can give us that. We will see.

FWIW, I agree with you.  I watched a lot of Colts games last year.  Wentz was, well, average at best.  8 games he threw for under 200 yards. 

The idea that the WFT will suddenly be throwing the ball down the field makes little sense.  He didn't do it much last year at all with a similar WR corps.  The Colts were 28th in the NFL in receiving yard/game, ahead of only the Eagles, Panthers, Giants, and Saints. Wentz's contribution to the Colts winning games last year was turning around and handing the ball off to Taylor.  And that's the reason I watched Colts games.  I was fascinated with their throwback, smashmouth approach.  They'd line up and tell the other team, "We're running the ball down your throat", and they'd do just that.

My guess is that unless the Commanders employ a similar running game, this latest experiment will likely flame out quickly.

Edited by LightningBuggs
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Dont know if this has been posted yet. But yeah. Ballard was EXTREMELY ready to let Wentz walk on the Mcaffe show. They were ready to "wing it" to get rid of him. Not saying Ron cant fix him. But the homerism takes in here that he is somehow our savior are laughable. 

When I clicked your link I was expecting some real dirt.

What’s laughable is you posting this as some sort of proof that Ballard couldn’t wait to get rid of him.  He literally couldn’t even conjure up any legitimate reasons to move on from him. 

I’ve not seen one poster proclaim Wentz as our savior either.  That’s just more hyperbole. We get it, you don’t like the move but don’t make up stuff to align with your point of view.

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

When I clicked your link I was expecting some real dirt.

What’s laughable is you posting this as some sort of proof that Ballard couldn’t wait to get rid of him.  He literally couldn’t even conjure up any legitimate reasons to move on from him. 

I’ve not seen one poster proclaim Wentz as our savior either.  That’s just more hyperbole. We get it, you don’t like the move but don’t make up stuff to align with your point of view.

I mean. The guy admitted to just "winging it" after cutting him. So they had no plan except to get rid of the guy. Whatever. Its a moot point. He is our QB and I hope he plays incredibly well.

• Thumb down 1

10 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

With all the hate Wentz is getting I'm starting to really root for the mf'er lol.

^^This

I can't say I've warmed to the idea but I have melted a bit so there's that

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I mean. The guy admitted to just "winging it" after cutting him. So they had no plan except to get rid of the guy. Whatever. Its a moot point. He is our QB and I hope he plays incredibly well.

I thought that totally aligned with what most of us have been able to piece together - that Irsay was done with Wentz, due to how the season ended - and he demanded Ballard/Reich move on from him in one way or another.  That interview if anything, only lends credence to that theory.  He couldn't even cite a logical reason to move on from him. 

41 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

He didn't do it much last year at all with a similar WR corps

This can't be serious. Our starting TE, WR2 and receiving RB were all injured and we had Taylor Heinicke throwing to these guys and they still put up similar stats. 

Pittman, their WR1 is barely a WR2. His Oline was also crap. It was him and Taylor and that's it, unless you think a should be retired Hilton and Zach Pascal are weapons.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

When someone cracks a sarcastic joke and the whole room erupts in laughter, do you always take that seriously or only when you're trying to twist words to fit your narrative?

That was obviously humor and as has been stated previously Ballard had nothing but good things to say about wentz.

I'm not convinced wentz is the answer here and I'd really love to draft some insurance but you're clear disdain for him has you seeing and hearing things that just aren't there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The guy admitted to just "winging it" after cutting him.

Yes, he was totally serious when he said this. The stern look on everyone's face tells you that. Everyone on that video was dealthy quiet after that statement, shocked how someone could say that...

And man do the players hate him. Jonathan Taylor, Darius Leonard, Michael Pittman are all cheering that he's gone. I mean EVERY former player hates his ass.

By the way, as for your statement that Ballard couldn't wait to get rid of him? Did you ignore these reports?

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2022/02/18/colts-source-carson-wentz-jim-irsay/

Or the numerous Colts beat reporters who have said that Irsay--not Ballard--drove this decision?

No one here thinks Wentz is going to be Pat Mahomes, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, or Aaron Rodgers. He is going to be better than Taylor Heinicke. That's the point. However, please feel free to continue your one-sided narrative, you do you, Scotty P.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, redskinss said:

When someone cracks a sarcastic joke and the whole room erupts in laughter, do you always take that seriously or only when you're trying to twist words to fit your narrative?

That was obviously humor and as has been stated previously Ballard had nothing but good things to say about wentz.

I'm not convinced wentz is the answer here and I'd really love to draft some insurance but you're clear disdain for him has you seeing and hearing things that just aren't there.

I dont have disdain for Wentz. In fact I think he was probably the best option for us out of a bucket full of crap. He is a middle of the pack starter. Which is better than anything we had on the roster.  I would have preferred that they went after Winston. At least he wouldnt have cost us draft picks. But it appears he wanted to go back to New Orleans. At least Wentz showed MVP level play at one point. I dont think that guy still exists. But if he does we scored a coup. 

Edited by clskinsfan

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont have disdain for Wentz. In fact I think he was probably the best option for us out of a bucket full of crap. He is a middle of the pack starter. Which is better than anything we had on the roster.  I would have preferred that they went after Winston. At least he wouldnt have cost us draft picks. But it appears he wanted to go back to New Orleans. At least Wentz showed MVP level play at some point. I dont think that guy still exists. But if he does we scored a coup. 

If Wentz isn't the best option available, who is? You contradict yourself twice in 5 sentences. That's pretty solid.

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

If Wentz isn't the best option available, who is? You contradict yourself twice in 5 sentences. That's pretty solid.

WTF are you talking about? I clearly said I preferred Winston over Wentz. And he was a FA which would have cost us no draft capital. 

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd take Wentz over Winston. Winston has no mobility and is coming off an ACL and is just as reckless with the football if not more so.

Winston was playing at a Pro Bowl level before he tore his ACL last year. Agree about the mobility issues though. 

33 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

WTF are you talking about? I clearly said I preferred Winston over Wentz. And he was a FA which would have cost us no draft capital. 

My bad, misread the post--I read it as you stating that the idea that Wentz being the best of a bad lot BEING a bunch of bullcrap...not that he was the best option out of a bunch of bull crap. That idea, we agree on.

I need more coffee. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

This can't be serious. Our starting TE, WR2 and receiving RB were all injured and we had Taylor Heinicke throwing to these guys and they still put up similar stats. 

Pittman, their WR1 is barely a WR2. His Oline was also crap. It was him and Taylor and that's it, unless you think a should be retired Hilton and Zach Pascal are weapons.

You've stated over and over you're in the tank for Wentz.  That's fine.  But this post is laughable.  Pittman and McLaurin are fairly equal.  This board may not like that, but it's true.  He's just inflated here because he's all this team has had for a long time.  The Colts OL is good.  Taylor proved that.  There are claims that they weren't good in pass pro but some of that is on Wentz too with his refusal to give up on a play.

As it stands now, Wentz's new OL and receiving corps is a push compared to last year, but with much less of a running game.  Which currently trends towards less production from him.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Dont know if this has been posted yet. But yeah. Ballard was EXTREMELY ready to let Wentz walk on the Mcaffe show. They were ready to "wing it" to get rid of him. Not saying Ron cant fix him. But the homerism takes in here that he is somehow our savior are laughable. 

Did you really expect the GM of the trading team to go onto a podcast hosted by a former Colts player after hardly a week had passed, start puffing weed like Elon Musk, and then lean in to the microphone and rumble out "Yeah man, we were ****ing set with Wentz but then that big **** Irsay got in the way and ****ing screwed it all up. HE SCREWED IT UP, MAN! Irsay ****ing sucks and we're screwed."

Even if he is slightly annoyed that he had to ditch his only QB with no backup plan, no GM is going to shoot his mouth off to say so. And no Eagles team member is going to say "Yeah, we screwed and let a good player get away, our division rival is going to love him." Washington team officials are going to prop him up, Iggles and Colts team officials are going to trash him. There is nothing insightful to look for from them.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

You've stated over and over you're in the tank for Wentz.  That's fine.  But this post is laughable.  Pittman and McLaurin are fairly equal.  This board may not like that, but it's true.  He's just inflated here because he's all this team has had for a long time.  The Colts OL is good.  Taylor proved that.  There are claims that they weren't good in pass pro but some of that is on Wentz too with his refusal to give up on a play.

As it stands now, Wentz's new OL and receiving corps is a push compared to last year, but with much less of a running game.  Which currently trends towards less production from him.

Lol the Colts o line is good at running blocking. Pass pro they are god awful. Espn advanced metrics had them rated 20th in pass pro and pff had them ranked at 30th. Ours was ranked 6th in pass pro and thats despite starting 5th string center, 3rd string guard and 2nd/3rd string RT at times. The o line in pass pro isnt even close and laughable to say it is. terry mcclaurin first two years 145 2037 14.35 per 11tds. Pittman first two years 128 1585 12.4 per 7 tds. Pittman has also had a more stable qb situation compared to terry. Terry is the superior player. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1

50 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I would actually have agreed with you on Winston under some circumstances, however, he wasn't an option at all and probably wasn't even on their list of possibilities for 1 reason, and 1 reason only: He's recovering from a torn ACL, which was suffered mid-season.  It's not even certain he will be able to return for the opener.  But what IS certain is he will not be able to take 100% of the starter reps in OTAs, Mini-camps and training camp.  So learning a new offense while recovering from a torn ACL, and then potentially not even being available for the early part of the season had to have been a deal breaker. 

Remember, Fitzpatrick even said picking up Turner's offense wasn't the easiest thing to do.  It's different terminology and read progressions from a lot of other offenses.  And Fitz has been around since Nixon was president.

So for that reason alone, the torn ACL and not being fully healthy for the off-season, Winston could not come here.

Now if he WAS healthy, I'd hear out the argument for Winston as a FA instead of Wentz.  However, I think you would HAVE to draft a QB at 11 if you did that.  And then you see what happens from there.  

Wentz is definitively an NFL starter.  Winston is maybe a starter.  Remember, just 2 years ago, he couldn't find a starting job anywhere and spent the entire year as a backup.  And he was "ok" for the Saints before he got hurt, but wasn't "great."  There are still a lot of questions about him, more than for Wentz, if we're being honest.  

51 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Winston was playing at a Pro Bowl level before he tore his ACL last year. Agree about the mobility issues though. 

That's actually not true.  He wasn't playing that well coming into the game against us, and there were stories his future wasn't certain in New Orleans at that point in time.  Payton didn't trust him to throw the ball, and they were protecting him a lot.  I am sure there are some PFF numbers or something which can counter my point, but I watched several of the games (my wife is a Saints fan), and I read plenty of reports that even going into the middle part of the season, there were questions about Winston even being retained by the Saints.  Then he got hurt.  

He was "ok." He also was playing for an offensive genius who was trying to protect him from himself.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

The wing it think was a total joke. C'mon, you are better than that. Accusing the board of homersim? really? Again you are better than that.  

Here some of the quotes from that interview: 

Carson played good football for us - then recites his numbers- 

Discusses missing time and the teams slow start not helping Carson

They had a serious discussion about keeping him

He also said he would do really good things moving on

When asked if it was a hard decision - he says, yes it was really hard and Carson is good person. 

Then he makes the joke about winging it. You can tell by, well everyone laughing. it was a joke! They had plans that included letting things work out with the other QBs to better understand what they could and could not do. But they didn ot actually just wing it. Sorry, but that's absurd to take that statement as anything but a joke.  

I was not and still am not the biggest fan of the trade, but hit jobs like you did are not necessary. Especially when the video is almost the complete opposite of what you stated. I have not seen hardly a single person say he was a great QB and would be the long term solution. Just nice to have a live arm with some potential. Nothing more nothing less. 

• Like 1

So a couple of disjointed thoughts from things over the past few days:

- Kevin Sheehan has become unlistenable, about most things, honestly, but specifically about the Wentz trade.  He's just throwing firebombs at it, and even mis-representing what people say on his show in an overt attempt to lambast the team over the trade.  Him and Thom were in rare form on the podcast a couple of days ago.  And of course, everything came back to Snyder and how awful he is at everything.  The cycle of negativity is just unbelievable.  Kevin has been scorned, and has gone complete scorched earth on everything.  It's massively unprofessional and very unfortunate.

- Joe Banner is a complete dbag.  He's a dirty eagle, and has never been balanced about anything Washington has ever done, like ever.  Every move is bad. Literally everything.  So it's hard to take anything he says seriously because you can't sort through the complete bias to what's actually factual.  

- I think Standig has one of the more balanced reviews of the trade:  Was it the best they could do at the time?  Probably.  Did they want to be in the position the Panthers are in now, having struck out with every option? No.  Did they probably over-pay in order to lock in Wentz?  Yes.  Will that matter if he performs?  No.  Is there a chance of success?  Yes.  Is there a chance of failure? Yes.  

- Standig and Keim have both said it's absolutely nuts to compare the Wentz and Ryan trades.  Both have confirmed the Commanders reached out to Atlanta to check in on Ryan BEFORE they traded for Wentz, and was told he was not available.  He only became available after they got trying to have an affair with Watson.  Which was after the Wentz trade.  And Ryan wanted to go to the Colts. So, shrug.  

- Wentz vs. Ryan: My opinion is I'd rather take a shot with Wentz, because he's not 30 yet and has more upside.  Ryan has been the better QB over a longer period of time, but he's clearly in the twilight of his career.  Wentz is a lot younger, and IF it works out, you have solved the problem for more than 1-2 years.  If it doesn't work out, well, you'd be in the same spot anyway if you got Ryan.  Would Ryan be better THIS YEAR than Went?  Maybe.  You could possibly argue probably.  But I'd still take the shot at Wentz because of age and upside.  (I say this as a reaction to a bunch of posts about the comparison, but see above, it wasn't an option anyway)

- I'm personally really glad we don't have the "Mitch Mariota" solution.  Or Teddy.  Or Dalton.  Or whoever.  The Panthers were just as desperate, and they're totally stuck, and probably HAVE to draft a QB they might not even want to in the first round.  

- Keim is convinced they will not draft a QB at 11 unless they completely "fall in love with a guy." (His words)  I think if they were going to fall in love with a guy, they would already be banging on the bathroom floor, and they would have known this BEFORE they traded for Wentz, and therefore, they wouldn't have traded for Wentz.  They would have traded up to #4 to get the love of their life who they were already screwing.  The most over-blown part of the draft process is the pro-days.  The meat of the evaluation is done by the end of the combine.  The Pro Days do allow you to see the guys and get to know them a bit, more, but all the film has been watched, initial conversations have been done, the medicals at the combine are done, the measurables are mostly in by the point the pro days come around. (I get it, some guys don't work out at the combine, but still, the workouts should NEVER cause you to fall in love with a guy.  They should be confirmation of your already existing affections.)  But if they haven't fallen head over heals in love with a guy yet, it's not going to happen. All the film has been watched, the senior bowl and the combine are over, and they've had a chance to talk to each of them individually.  

- I think they're going to draft a guy in the 4th or 5th round.  If Strong is there in the 4th, they might grab him..  If he's not, they probably wait until the 5th  I think he's probably the only one who has a chance of dropping that far of the more talked about guys.  Most likely, it's going to be a guy we haven't been talking about a lot. In addition to that, they're going to either sign another low-end FA or sign an UDFA.  They need 4 QBs.  They have 2.  I think they want a 3rd QB who can play, and then a camp arm/practice squad guy.  And then TH and the drafted QB will compete for the backup job.  This is what happened in 2012, when they drafted Kurt in the 4th, and he and Rex competed for the backup job behind Griffin.  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I agree with you that Kevin Sheehan has become almost unlistenable about the Wentz trade.  I agree that Standig and Keim are probably more sensible.

its not just Sheehan its Bmitch and Finlay as well. Grant and Danny dont particularly like the trade either but have atleast tried to look at both sides. Funny thing is I listened to Brams show for the first time yesterday due to something related to the commandalorian thing/something he had ordered from my wife. And he basically went in on those guys at audacy and Florio for a good half hour in reference to the way they were portraying the broadcast rights but made plenty of reference to the negativity coming from those shows.