Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

Unless they were in on it, too.  

Maybe the Russian satellite was fake, too.  

You'd have to add the Chinese being in on it as well, as one of their lunar missions took pictures of some of the Apollo landing sites.

• Thumb up 1

Britain prepares to send long-range missiles to Ukraine

Britain, which has prided itself on being ahead of its Western allies in introducing new weapons systems to Ukraine, now appears poised to send Kyiv the long-range missiles the Biden administration has long denied it.

In a procurement notice posted last Tuesday by the British-led International Fund for Ukraine, a group of northern European counties that have set up a mechanism to send weapons to the battlefield, the United Kingdom’s Defense Ministry asked for “expressions of interest” in providing strike capabilities with a range of up to 300 kilometers, or nearly 200 miles. The notice asked for responses within three days.

No final decision has been made, according to a British official who declined to confirm the type, timing or quantity of weaponry under consideration. But the notice is a substantive step toward Britain itself supplying such munitions, and the requested specifications and capabilities closely match its air-launched Storm Shadow cruise missiles.

Click on the link for the full article

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Bad enough for Russia to get your Hyper-sonic missile shot down

Even worse when your opponent gets it hands on the pieces.

U.S. command is probably nudging Ukraine brass to ship that bad boy stateside.

We'd be able to build even better countermeasures against it.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Yup.  And Zelenksy isn't dumb.  He'll ask for a kings ransom to get it.

Which, granted, he's already getting. 

And Zelensky needs the US a lot more than the US needs that item, I suspect. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

This has got to be a historic blunder…. As far as wars go I can’t think of one as big of a blunder… some might say Iraq but that is pretty shallow. Iraq didn’t expose the ineptitude of our military or roll back decades of progress in trade relations.

Iraq didn’t last a week. 

you can argue we shouldn’t have done it (I’d disagree)

you can argue our long term plan was poorly designed and executed (don’t think anyone would disagree there)

but if the context is measuring military ability to invade another country - we did amazingly well and I think you’d be hard pressed to find a better example (excluding ones where the invaded country didn’t put up a fight and gave up immediately, like we saw in some ww2 invasions)

Iraq was something like the 4th or 5th largest standing army in the world at the time we invaded. Within a week their military was destroyed. 

and in 20 years we lost less than 5k troops. That’s incredibly awesome. 

Edited by tshile

28 minutes ago, tshile said:

Iraq didn’t last a week. 

you can argue we shouldn’t have done it (I’d disagree)

you can argue our long term plan was poorly designed and executed (don’t think anyone would disagree there)

but if the context is measuring military ability to invade another country - we did amazingly well and I think you’d be hard pressed to find a better example (excluding ones where the invaded country didn’t put up a fight and gave up immediately, like we saw in some ww2 invasions)

Iraq was something like the 4th or 5th largest standing army in the world at the time we invaded. Within a week their military was destroyed. 

and in 20 years we lost less than 5k troops. That’s incredibly awesome. 

Yea, I’m not disagreeing with you, but that’s what everyone points to and my point was it isn’t even really close.

• Like 1

As usually, Larry with his out of context cleverness. 

the context was military conflict and the military conflict lasted a week and was over. 

the resulting 20 years was national building stuff. Not two armies battling each other. And we had control of the country the whole time, militarily speaking. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

Kaliningrad: Russia fury as Poland body recommends renaming exclave

The Kremlin has reacted furiously after a Polish government body advised using a different name for Russia's exclave of Kaliningrad on the Baltic Sea coast.

The Polish committee said the city and wider area should instead be called Królewiec.

This was the area's traditional name, it said, and the decision no longer to use an "imposed name" was partly a result of Russia invading Ukraine.

Russia said the decision was "bordering on madness" and "a hostile act".

"We know that throughout history, Poland has slipped from time to time into this madness of hatred towards Russians," said Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov.

For hundreds of years before World War Two, the area was known as Königsberg and was part of East Prussia. Królewiec is the Polish translation of Königsberg.

However, after World War Two, the city and wider region were placed under Soviet administration. The Soviets renamed it Kaliningrad after Mikhail Kalinin, one of the leaders of the Bolshevik revolution.

Click on the link for the full article

1 hour ago, tshile said:

the context was military conflict and the military conflict lasted a week and was over. 

Really?  Cause to me, when people talk about invading Iraq being a mistake?  I'm pretty sure they're talking about the entire steaming pile of ****. 

Or by "context", do you mean the thing you were trying to change the context into, with your "well, if you assume Iraq ended with "mission accomplished", and everything after that should be ignored" effort?

What do you say?  Want to ask CC whether "the context", when she referred to Iraq, was "Iraq, but only the first week counts"?

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

the resulting 20 years was national building stuff. Not two armies battling each other. And we had control of the country the whole time, militarily speaking. 

The first sentence is un-needed and is potentially a rule violation - do not attack fellow posters. By all means challenge positions or logic - do NOT attack the poster. 

Please everyone take this as a general warning. Play nice. 

3 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

This has got to be a historic blunder…. As far as wars go I can’t think of one as big of a blunder… some might say Iraq but that is pretty shallow. Iraq didn’t expose the ineptitude of our military or roll back decades of progress in trade relations.

I suspect Vietnam will always be the one that most people will call out. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2