Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

The protest thing is cool, I guess, but it’s not like Putin has a reputation for caving to protests. 

If nothing else I think it is very worthwhile for the world to see for a couple reasons - it shows that the Russian people do not agree with what is going on and it might (as unlikely as it is) embarrass Putin and leave him feeling a little uneasy that not even his own people are in support of what he is doing.  The problem is that dictators like Putin typically don't care about what citizens of their country think.

Would possibly also affect the morale of Russian soldiers. Not that they have a choice of what to do.

Edited by Idaho fan
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Wait, why are we in no condition to get into a conflict with Russia? We spend 11x more than Russia each year on Defense. 

i know you have been paying close attention to the US political scene for the last 7 years. 

just work through how a war with Russia plays out here. After their puppet spent the last 7 years turning ~40% of our country against our government (and basically the rest of us)

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, tshile said:

this isn’t difficult to get. You’re trying really really hard to ignore all this other obvious stuff to make your point for some reason. 

Either that, or I am responding to someone who literally chose to correct my statement that we were choosing not to interfere in this particular case, by literally stating that we were in no condition to oppose Russia, at all. 

Maybe if you could work on actually developing a point, instead of trying to announce how stupid the person you're attacking is?  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

@Tshile if you know the strategic importance I would like to know. It seems like fighting over a landfill to me…

You don’t understand why they’re taking ground in a country they’re trying to take over?

and why that country is defending it, from the people trying to take over their country?

• Like 1

I would suggest to kick the Russian guy out of the security council of the UN. I mean, his country just peed on peace, so he should be permanently banned. Don't care what the laws say, have MArines take him out military and send him to Mars on an Elon Musk flight.

That being said, one of my colleague is Polish, and his parents are living around a hundred kilometers north of Kiev. He got them on phone to learn that there's already lots of Ukrainian fleeing war and country, but that there's seemingly lots of US soldiers stationed near the Polish border close to Ukraine. Which doesn't look good.

Also, saw a few military french logistic convoys on their way to the military airport near Paris. Probably to send help down there. It's going to be a real mess.

We spend a lot of time talking about this while working exploring different scenarii, considering history and stuff, and well, this can really get messy. Hopefully Turkey sided with NATO here condemning the attack. They could benefit from it as Crimea used to be part of the Ottoman Empire too, so Erdogan could have interest here as well as Syria.

Basically, we do have everything we need for the beginning of World War 3. As nobody could be safe here. Then our main question was, OK, if that goes to World War 3, how do you and it?

Most likely Nukes will be part of it and everywhere around the globe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

Either that, or I am responding to someone who literally chose to correct my statement that we were choosing not to interfere in this particular case, by literally stating that we were in no condition to oppose Russia, at all. 

Maybe if you could work on actually developing a point, instead of trying to announce how stupid the person you're attacking is?  

what you said

Just seems like some kind of "WTF moment". 

Russia is invading and conquering a country in Europe. And NATO and the US decided, in advance, that they would not offer any military opposition. 

Because what?  The country isn't in the right part of Europe? 

fwiw you seem to be the only one confused about this. 

probably because it was talked about for the last few weeks

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

No. I understand that, I was wondering the Chernobyl specifically was of importance 

I don't think so.. it is likely the location, the avenue it presents for attack.
But who knows, i doubt it could be said that the Russians or Ukrainians want to safeguard the nuclear meltdown site,, because if one or the other opens it, it can affect either or both. I think it's just being what it is means neither side would try to 'use' it.

~Bang

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

The reason he's not getting a thousand nukes dropped on his head is because we don't want a thousand nukes dropped on our heads either. Ukraine isn't in NATO, so they don't get NATO's military support. If a NATO nation is attacked, that's when everyone else gets involved.

So are we the leader of the free world or just the leader of NATO? 

Not saying nukes are the solution, already talked about that the other, but what you are posting is akin to saying goodbye to any country Russia wants to invade that's not part of NATO.  

3 hours ago, tshile said:

It’s right in line with how they **** everything up all the time cause they just brute force their way through every situation 

I’m not surprised at all the dip**** Russians destroyed a nuclear waste facility they created at a nuclear disaster site they caused. 

because that’s how dumb they are and that’s how they operate. 

Lol what a joke. 

nuclear waste building destroyed!

wait wait. We got that wrong. We’re just concerned it could be destroyed. 

🙄

add:

re: China 

China has been walking away from Russia for over a decade. Because Russia is a 3rd world economy with no chance of improving. 

id be surprised if China “backs” Russia. 

I highly doubt they’ll speak out against it, because why would they? They don’t care. It doesn’t hurt them and it puts western democracies in a silly crisis mode. They have no reason to be “against it”

I expect they’ll just sit on the fence and say little to nothing. But I’d be shocked if China decides now is the time to jump into a global conflict and side with Russia against all the western democracies. They have so much to lose and nothing to gain. 

Now would be the time for China to take Taiwan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

So are we the leader of the free world or just the leader of NATO? 

Not saying nukes are the solution, already talked about that the other, but what you are posting is akin to saying goodbye to any country Russia wants to invade that's not part of NATO.  

After finishing playing world police in Afghanistan, I think it's obvious that we are the leader of just NATO. That's the point of NATO, mutual defense. Ukraine isn't in NATO. Does that suck? Yes. But that's how alliances work. You're in, or you're out, and right now we're watching what's happening to a country that's out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Then what you're saying is that if this was happening in Poland, we'd be doing nothing, too. 

That's what it means, if our military is simply not strong enough to fight Russia's military. (Or if there's some other reason, like oil, why we're incapable of opposing them.)

Either we're simply incapable of opposing them. Or it's "well, yeah, we can fight them and win, but we're choosing not to in this case, because .... "

There's a reason Putin doesn't want NATO members on his doorstep and it's not because he fears for Russia's safety. He wants to be able to reassert Russian dominance in that sphere of influence. He knows once a country joins, it's off limits because attacking is likely to result in a massive military response that could end with the whole mutually assured destruction. The US alone could kick  his ass. Russia has an economy the size of Michigan IIRC. He can do a lot of damage in a limited area for a limited time against small time opponents. Against a well equipped modern army over a large land area, not so much.

42 minutes ago, visionary said:

The French have the right idea. It could be really interesting if in addition to the sanctions, the Brits and US started doing a deep dive into all the money laundering real estate investments they've made here and there over the years. I'm sure Tя☭mp would be on board with that.😃

31 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

This is where the Russians can probably kick our asses. Given our capitalist propensity for businesses to only spend money in a reactive fashion after they get compromised, they could wreak havoc on us. On the other side, we could do some damage but they're probably better prepared and there just isn't enough stuff to take out compared to the west.

FWIW, I'd suggest you all back  up all your data and update all your antivirus and other software. I've been doing this over the past week and I'm still a bit nervous. I'd imagine bigger, more important targets would be hit first but you never can tell how quickly this stuff might propagate across the interwebs.