Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Wait, why are we in no condition to get into a conflict with Russia? We spend 11x more than Russia each year on Defense. 

Because despite all that spending, we can’t stop Russian nuclear weapons from annihilating US cities.   

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

After finishing playing world police in Afghanistan, I think it's obvious that we are the leader of just NATO. That's the point of NATO, mutual defense. Ukraine isn't in NATO. Does that suck? Yes. But that's how alliances work. You're in, or you're out, and right now we're watching what's happening to a country that's out.

Thanks for the clarification, and by time this over, who world will know.  And we should also stop saying that from now on (with respect to being leader of the free world)

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

No. I understand that, I was wondering the Chernobyl specifically was of importance 

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

No. I understand that, I was wondering the Chernobyl specifically was of importance 

54 minutes ago, Bang said:

I don't think so.. it is likely the location, the avenue it presents for attack.
But who knows, i doubt it could be said that the Russians or Ukrainians want to safeguard the nuclear meltdown site,, because if one or the other opens it, it can affect either or both. I think it's just being what it is means neither side would try to 'use' it.

~Bang

Yes, it lies in the shortest path from Russia to Kyiv.  

Defend Chernobyl During an Invasion? Why Bother, Some Ukrainians Ask.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, visionary said:

We should send troops to every interested country bordering Ukraine.

You already are doing it. Lots of US soldiers on the southern border of Poland near Ukraine.

I bet those tanks you sold them last week will be there in a few.

All things are pointing to Europe getting ready for war here.

• Thumb up 1

42 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

There's a reason Putin doesn't want NATO members on his doorstep and it's not because he fears for Russia's safety. He wants to be able to reassert Russian dominance in that sphere of influence. He knows once a country joins, it's off limits because attacking is likely to result in a massive military response that could end with the whole mutually assured destruction.

It took you two sentences to go from spouting a piece of Russian propaganda justifying an unprovoked invasion, to stating that he wants to be able to invade people unopposed. 

Edit:  

My mistake. I missed the word "not" in the first sentence. 

Kind of an important word. 

And I'm probably kind of angry, right now. (Probably lots of other people, too). 

I need to step back some. Again, apologies. 

Edited by Larry

10 minutes ago, visionary said:

We should send troops to every interested country bordering Ukraine.

2 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

You already are doing it. Lots of US soldiers on the southern border of Poland near Ukraine.

I bet those tanks you sold them last week will be there in a few.

All things are pointing to Europe getting ready for war here.

Biden shifts US troops in Europe to defend frontline NATO states

WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden ordered U.S. troops already based in Europe to shore up the defenses of nations bordering Ukraine.

Biden directed Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III to move forces within the U.S. European Command's area of operations to the Baltic Republics, Poland and Ukraine's southeastern flank.

The forces will move within a week, DOD officials said.

https://www.army.mil/article/254189/biden_shifts_us_troops_in_europe_to_defend_frontline_nato_states

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

Hopefully Turkey sided with NATO here condemning the attack. They could benefit from it as Crimea used to be part of the Ottoman Empire too, so Erdogan could have interest here as well as Syria.

is Turkey reliable at all? Last I recall they decided to side with Syria/Russia and edogan (or whatever his name is) is basically an autocrat aligned with Russia/China/Syria/etc

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

Basically, we do have everything we need for the beginning of World War 3

unless China backtracks on the over decade long move they’ve made to distance themselves from Russia, I don’t see ww3 happening. 
China has way too much to lose. 

obviously I don’t know **** about all of this, just my guess. 

49 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Now would be the time for China to take Taiwan.

Well, they’ve put aircraft in Taiwan’s airspace today so… 

59 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

So are we the leader of the free world or just the leader of NATO? 

Not saying nukes are the solution, already talked about that the other, but what you are posting is akin to saying goodbye to any country Russia wants to invade that's not part of NATO.  

This is what not being the world’s police means. 

It’s weird. It sucks. But yes, it means not taking military action when two non-nato countries are in conflict (or Japan, or any other country we have a defense agreement with)

11 minutes ago, Larry said:

It took you two sentences to go from spouting a piece of Russian propaganda justifying an unprovoked invasion, to stating that he wants to be able to invade people unopposed. 

Uh, no. I was stating his position while also pointing out that he knows full well NATO poses no threat to Russia. I wasn't in any way justifying what he's doing. I'm not sure how you got that from what I wrote.As for the invading other countries unopposed, I think the current invasion is pretty good evidence that unless he has a sock puppet regime in place in neighboring countries, that's precisely what he wants to be able to do.

31 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

And we should also stop saying that from now on (with respect to being leader of the free world)

Yeah. We should definitely stop sloganeering our constant meddling all over the world as “leader of the free world”

no one really bought it accept us anyways. We kinda looked like clowns. Still do, for other reasons. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tshile said:

This is what not being the world’s police means. 

It’s weird. It sucks. But yes, it means not taking military action when two non-nato countries are in conflict (or Japan, or any other country we have a defense agreement with)

And that's a position I can kind of agree with. At least to a point. 

I've been saying for a good chunk of my life that I think we've been creating problems for ourselves when we do things like prop up the Shah, and justify it as "we're fighting communism" 

But I think we ought to be able to say that no, we won't prop up a third world dictator whose people are revolting against him. But we will protect Podunk from a military invasion. 

There ought to be a position between staying in Afghanistan forever, and watching Hitler invade his first country.