Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

5 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

I doubt these sanctions work.  We can try. 

I mean, I don't think it worked too well on Iran.  They had a recession and some sort of hyperinflation, but looking at their GDP, they are close to being a developed country.

I suppose this is what we can do.

I think kicking russia out of swift is going to work pretty well. They had a garbage economy to start with. 

and the oligarchs are the only ones with Putin’s ear. 

what we should also be doing is seize all Russian assets (in our financial system) and kicking all the elites/oligarchs out. 

there would be a lot of angry people if we do that. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Larry said:

There ought to be a position between staying in Afghanistan forever, and watching Hitler invade his first country. 

sure. But also we should be able to look at a conflict between two different countries and decide to not get involved. 

ukraine has a serious pro-Russia population and two (basically official?) separatist states. 

if you wanted to pick a conflict to get involved in such that the gain, the cost, and the cost of doing nothing all line up right - I don’t think Ukraine is it. They’re pretty far away from being close to it. 

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Will we kick them out of swift though….

They vote tonight. 

But plenty of moves are being made independently already. 

31 minutes ago, tshile said:

This is what not being the world’s police means. 

It’s weird. It sucks. But yes, it means not taking military action when two non-nato countries are in conflict (or Japan, or any other country we have a defense agreement with)

Is what it is, at least the whole world is on the same page now.

Next step, cutting the military budget to focus on investing our tax dollars back into own country and social safety nets. 

If we aren't going to be leaders of the free world or world police, why should our military budget stay larger then the next 10 countries combined?  Enough is enough, the military industrial complex charade has to end.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, tshile said:

is Turkey reliable at all? Last I recall they decided to side with Syria/Russia and edogan (or whatever his name is) is basically an autocrat aligned with Russia/China/Syria/etc

unless China backtracks on the over decade long move they’ve made to distance themselves from Russia, I don’t see ww3 happening. 
China has way too much to lose. 

obviously I don’t know **** about all of this, just my guess.

Turkey isn't reliable at all. That's for sure. But I'd believe that they have more to win siding with NATO than siding against (and thus breaking the alliance).

They tried to threaten Greece and stuff, but I think they could be interested in getting lands on the other side of the black sea as a nice compensation. So they can benefits from two sides. And honestly, I doesn't want to even think about Turkey sinding with Russia, we have enough Turkish's immigrants in France that are pro Erdogan that could put on quite a mess in a civil war without Turkish army even crossing the border.

But other than that, he's kinda aligned with Russia/China (not much Syrira though, he could look there too). And China's he not reliable at all either. I wouldn't trust them if I'm Putin right now.

Regarding the WW3 comments, it's more about opportunities presenting themselves than anything else. If NATO goes to war against Russia, that's an opportunity for China to go two ways:

- First is expanding north to Siberia and controlling the other side of Bering's detroit. as well as having control of the naval Arctic road (which opened not so long ago due to climate and is becoming more and more important than going all the way south).

- Second is getting control over well... Sea of China (which isn't as of now) and contesting US superiority in the Pacific. As well as punting Japanese out of earth as those two just hates each other.

Hopefully this won't happen at all as I still haven't found a way to stop an army of 500M of people like the Chinese could put on the battlefield. They would be able to fight 3/4 fronts at once, and win them all. Except if you nukes them into oblivion, which wouldn't be great either.

So, honestly, I didn't had a great day. Lots of stuff going through my mind today, and I can hardly see a good solution for my kids. Though seeing those youngsters proteting in Russia against the war somehow appease my mind a little bit.

Side note: I watched Joe Biden's speech, the man look really old and I wondered if he's really able to take command of this. Putin might be exploiting this as well. Guy looked feeble to me.

• Like 2

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Is what it is, at least the whole world is on the same page now.

Next step, cutting the military budget to focus on investing our tax dollars back into own country and social safety nets. 

If we aren't going to be leaders of the free world or world police, why should our military budget stay larger then the next 10 countries combined?  Enough is enough, the military industrial complex charade has to end.

Why do you hate freedom? Why won't you support the troops?😉 Because that's precisely the kind of garbage the Grand Oligarch’s Party starts spouting whenever Dems propose any cuts to defense spending, nevermind the whole social safety net as boogeyman thing.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, tshile said:

I think kicking russia out of swift is going to work pretty well. They had a garbage economy to start with. 

what we should also be doing is seize all Russian assets (in our financial system) and kicking all the elites/oligarchs out. 

there would be a lot of angry people if we do that. 

I hope you are right.  

Too many authoritarian countries these days.  They will find some way to do business. I don't know if China will do anything. 

13 minutes ago, tshile said:

Not really, he put them on their knees and busted their balls when he reached the top position. He made example of a few of them early, and all of them are bowing to him now.

He doesn't care about them much.

1 minute ago, The Sisko said:

Why do you hate freedom? Why won't you support the troops?😉 Because that's precisely the kind of garbage the Grand Oligarch’s Party starts spouting whenever Dems propose any cuts to defense spending, nevermind the whole social safety net as boogeyman thing.

Hopefully this will open eyes to some politicians, that you cannot have peace without a great army to protect yourselves.

European countries are not getting it, maybe this will help some of them understand it that Europe need some ****ing huge army to defend itself against anybody. Right now European army is France/UK (for the Navy/Air Force, otherwise it's meh!). And that's it. And we're more suited for Guerilla type warfare than full scale war, our economy right now doesn't support that. So that's not a good look at all.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I think we need a strong military. That much is certain. I think we could definitely lower our budgets in some ways. But I don’t want to conflate “not being the worlds police” and with “we don’t need a strong military”

my preference would be whatever money we can cut back, go directly into our nationals education system. God knows we need it. Bad. 

• Like 2

Sean Penn attends presidential press briefing in Kyiv as he returns to Ukraine amid Russian invasion for documentary

Sean Penn has been pictured attending a press briefing at the at the Presidential Office in Kyiv after he returned to Ukraine to film a documentary on the Russian invasion.

The director has been filming a documentary about Russian aggression in the country and was last seen there in November 2021.

Amid the invasion, he has now returned and was pictured in the front row of the briefing among reporters, wearing sunglasses as he listened intently.

The Ukrainian government has expressed its gratitude for the project.

Sean, 61, previously met with Ukrainian military service personnel for his new project.

The actor and producer visited positions near the front line with Russian-backed separatists in the Donetsk area.

It is reported that Milk actor’s documentary will explore how the Donbas region has been impacted by the battles with pro-Moscow rebels.

The actor made the visit to the settlement of Priazov.

Click on the link for the full story

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

I think we need a strong military. That much is certain. I think we could definitely lower our budgets in some ways. But I don’t want to conflate “not being the worlds police” and with “we don’t need a strong military”

my preference would be whatever money we can cut back, go directly into our nationals education system. God knows we need it. Bad. 

I agree on not wanting a weak military, my request is a more efficient one more specific to our actually needs. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Ukraine is in NATO? 🙄

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the German Tweet. I don't say this often, but I agree with the poster who said Tя☭mp was right about the NATO allies not pulling their weight. Also, Obama scored some major points in the debate with RMoney when he hit him with the one liner about RMoney's contention that Russia was going to be a major adversary but it turns out RMoney was right.

• Thumb up 1

@Wildbunny

i agree with what you wrote

i have no doubts China would seize the moment to do a few things they think they can get away with. 

i have serious doubts they’re willing to kick off a 3rd world war against western democracies. They’ve spent a lot of time building relationships via foreign trade. Throw that all away? To be against them, on the side of Russia?

i don’t think China has any misconceptions about how a Russia vs USA war will go and end… I don’t think China wants open war with us. 

29 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Not really, he put them on their knees and busted their balls when he reached the top position. He made example of a few of them early, and all of them are bowing to him now.

He doesn't care about them much.

Interesting. My understanding was cared about them - since they’re all the money in the Russian economy. 

not on a level that they tell him what to do

but more on a level that if he pissed every single one of them off, he’d have a problem on his hands and lots of phone calls to answer

but I know nothing about Russia. Not in the sense that I could argue with anyone about any of it.