Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

I have no reason to think this, but I predict we draft another RB in the 4th round or later to add to the stable. The position is just too injury-prone. Wouldn’t be surprised to see McKissic released after the serious injury issues he’s had. The more young healthy athletic bodies you have at the position the more you insulate yourself from relying on one or two guys. 

15 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

It looks like RB is one position where we may do nothing in the offseason as far as upgrading. Or does EB try and lure someone from KC over to replace the possibly forced to retire JD McKissic? 

BRob

Gibson

JWill

Patterson?

McKissic?

Don't know KD.  They may cut JW and draft another.  Hard to say at this point.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Conn said:

I have no reason to think this, but I predict we draft another RB in the 4th round or later to add to the stable. The position is just too injury-prone. Wouldn’t be surprised to see McKissic released after the serious injury issues he’s had. The more young healthy athletic bodies you have at the position the more you insulate yourself from relying on one or two guys. 

I’m right there with you… 4th or (more likely IMO) 5th has been my guess, although I think they’ll be looking hard at some other positions in that range… S, QB and WR.  In terms of your reasoning - McKissic’s got his ongoing neck issue, Gibson misses some time, is in a contract year and is a possible trade candidate (though I doubt we go that route).  Seems like a pretty good rb class too.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

With Jalen Ramsey available would it make any sense to trade Payne for him? We could use depth at CB. We have depth at DT. Ramsey 28, making less than Payne presumably going forward for a few years too. 

Don't see why the Rams would do that.  They need to reduce salary, and are undoubtedly looking for draft picks for Ramsey.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Number 44 said:

Don't see why the Rams would do that.  They need to reduce salary, and are undoubtedly looking for draft picks for Ramsey.

you hit the nail on the head and I totally agree....I just looked at their cap space & draft picks for this year, got to say that going for the SB ring placed them in bad shape imho.  They are 14.9m over the 224.8 cap and their draft picks aren't great either.  Currently they're sitting at (1) 2nd rounder w/36th over all  &  (1) 3rd rounder w/69th over all ....then they don't draft again till the 6th round with 4 picks.....as you said they're looking to dump salary and not pick up salary and also looking for draft picks in return, i.e dumping Bobby Wagner after 1 yr of a original 5yr deal.....

• Like 1

I looked at the Rams roster to see good trade targets and they have some weird cap issues.   Top 7 players are 10+ cap hits (Kupp up to 27.8mill), but no player on the roster would save more than 3.9mill because of how they structured deals.   Trades save a bit more, but they really are going to have some interesting moves to get even with the cap (or more weird structuring).

Wagner roster bonus would have transferred to a traded team based on payment date (I think).   Would have saved them another 3.5mill.  I wonder if they tried to trade him first.   I would have tossed them a 6th to get Wagner and they save a bit more.   I don't think he's coming here on his own.   But i guess it's too late for that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

Wagner roster bonus would have transferred to a traded team based on payment date (I think).   Would have saved them another 3.5mill.  I wonder if they tried to trade him first.   I would have tossed them a 6th to get Wagner and they save a bit more.   I don't think he's coming here on his own.   But i guess it's too late for that. 

that is weird imho...like you stated they had to have tried trading him for something to save a little bit of $...no takers assuming

The Rams are in a lot of trouble for the next few seasons. They gave up too many assets for too many players (some of which they may have been able to win a Super Bowl without).

Stafford was a big move but I maintain they won that Lombardi despite him. He was a walking pick six during the regular season.

In fact, I think Goff is going to wind up being a better QB than Stafford. Not to say I’m down on Stafford. He’s a franchise level guy. But what he cost them hurt them.

Plus all the other trades.

I think McVay is going to wish he retired/asked to be traded… very soon. To be clear, when I say “retire” I mean take a year off while still under contract. Not permanently.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Command The 414 said:

that is weird imho...like you stated they had to have tried trading him for something to save a little bit of $...no takers assuming

There’s a respect thing in the NFL with older guys in Wagner‘s tier. Sometimes, you eschew the draft comp to allow them to pick their own destination 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, method man said:

There’s a respect thing in the NFL with older guys in Wagner‘s tier. Sometimes, you eschew the draft comp to allow them to pick their own destination 

Yeah, that was my thought for why to not do it.   For the cap position their in it may have been worth asking him (which maybe they did).  

Rams, Saints and Bucs have messy caps.   With Brady going all 3 look sub par as built with little wiggle room.   It'll be interesting to see how they manage. 

8 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

Yeah, that was my thought for why to not do it.   For the cap position their in it may have been worth asking him (which maybe they did).  

Rams, Saints and Bucs have messy caps.   With Brady going all 3 look sub par as built with little wiggle room.   It'll be interesting to see how they manage. 

Would it be impossible for them to keep Lavonte David? I would love either him or Wagner

2 minutes ago, method man said:

Would it be impossible for them to keep Lavonte David? I would love either him or Wagner

I think David is one void year left.  So he appears on the cap but I think he's a FA too.  He signed after the SB win, when things were seemingly going well.  I'd guess he's more likely to look around now.

Edited by CommDownMan

3 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

I think David is one void year left.  So he appears on the cap but I think he's a FA too.  He signed after the SB win, when things were seemingly going well.  I'd guess he's more likely to look around now.

Depends what he wants to do. He’s been in TB his whole career, even through all the ****ty pre Brady years. He may just want to stay there if he can. He’s a franchise legend

28 minutes ago, method man said:

Depends what he wants to do. He’s been in TB his whole career, even through all the ****ty pre Brady years. He may just want to stay there if he can. He’s a franchise legend

Absolutely.  If he were to leave it'd be for a place that is ready to win.  Unfortunately I don't see washington as his first pick.

I think our D is in a strong place already. We don’t need that expensive high-end ‘veteran’ leader to take us that step forward. We really should be drafting a DB. Draft appears stacked. Got to identify the best route at LB. Also look at the Sweat/Young situation at DE - are they the medium/long term future? Can we move Sweat on for example ?? Plenty of less expensive containing DE options about I’m sure.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, illone said:

Ramsey is burnt toast at this point. 

if this team trades Payne for Ramsey, it better include Aaron Donald.   

He is still one of the top corners in the league.  He is not playing at say his 2017/2018 levels where he was clearly the best corner in the league, but he had a PFF grade of 86 this past year and 84 in 2021.  He is a very good player.  But he is expensive and possibly on the decline and is going to cost a first rounder so I think he is a better option for a team trying to improve its chances of winning a Super Bowl these next two seasons rather than our situation where we are kind of in a wait and see approach with Sam Howell.

3 minutes ago, philibusters said:

He is still one of the top corners in the league.  He is not playing at say his 2017/2018 levels where he was clearly the best corner in the league, but he had a PFF grade of 86 this past year and 84 in 2021.  He is a very good player.  But he is expensive and possibly on the decline and is going to cost a first rounder so I think he is a better option for a team trying to improve its chances of winning a Super Bowl these next two seasons rather than our situation where we are kind of in a wait and see approach with Sam Howell.

Agreed.  We are nowhere near ready to be a Super Bowl team yet, with our questions at the QB position.  I doubt that Ramsey, Wagner or any other high end defensive player would want to join the Commanders, when there would be Super Bowl contenders out there that would be more attractive destinations.

17 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

With Jalen Ramsey available would it make any sense to trade Payne for him? We could use depth at CB. We have depth at DT. Ramsey 28, making less than Payne presumably going forward for a few years too. 

Love this idea but are the Rams looking to get rid of Ramsey because they're cap strapped? If so, how do they pay Payne? 

20 hours ago, Conn said:

This is fair, I just don't want to see us stupidly release Patterson and be lucky to bring him back again.