Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

1 minute ago, Conn said:

Having cap space to fill is not the same as having freedom from the owner to place huge signing bonuses into escrow. That’s typically what you need to do to sign the big name elite money guys. You’ve consistently been one of the posters down-playing this, but if Snyder is still here in a month it could be a real problem. 

It’s not the owner, it’s the ‘company’ that puts the cash into escrow. Now Snyder may clearly dictate the use of that, but he’s done. I actually think Rivera is also extremely cautious in his approach to free agency. However, those are well debated paths.

I do have a different perspective to the majority, but I do get why many others form that stance. Hopefully we are seeing a positive change in direction. We’ll get a good idea before February is over IMO.

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

It’s not the owner, it’s the ‘company’ that puts the cash into escrow. Now Snyder may clearly dictate the use of that, but he’s done. I actually think Rivera is also extremely cautious in his approach to free agency. However, those are well debated paths.

I do have a different perspective to the majority, but I do get why many others form that stance. Hopefully we are seeing a positive change in direction. We’ll get a good idea before February is over IMO.

If there wasn’t an ownership directive then idk how last offseason can really be explained, with Wentz and the positivity around that move from Rivera it would have been a very logical time to go “all in” in a reasonable manner. I don’t mean scorched earth, sell-the-future Rams/Saints style—but just adding talent. We did absolutely nothing other than eat Wentz’s contract. I think that has to be because of a budget Rivera and the GMs were essentially given. But you’re right, it’s well-worn conversational territory around here. 

6 minutes ago, Conn said:

If there wasn’t an ownership directive then idk how last offseason can really be explained, with Wentz and the positivity around that move from Rivera it would have been a very logical time to go “all in” in a reasonable manner. I don’t mean scorched earth, sell-the-future Rams/Saints style—but just adding talent. We did absolutely nothing other than eat Wentz’s contract. I think that has to be because of a budget Rivera and the GMs were essentially given. But you’re right, it’s well-worn conversational territory around here. 

I think the issue last year was that we picked up Wentz and then didn’t adjust his contract. We basically took a near 30mil hit on our cap position. Normally you would have converted his 22mil salary to bonus and created another 15mil in space. 

My guess is that Wentz was a one year roll the dice move. It failed, but he’ll now be off the books once cut. No dead cap.

I think last year was move cap strategy than cash strategy. Again, personal opinion. 

• Like 1

Gotta remember that spending comes from a lot of sources, not just FA. We didn't have a large FA period last year, but we still cut some checks from other avenues both before and after the FA period

We had to escrow at least 28Mil to trade for Wentz. I don't know if his future G money that was not G quite yet has to be escrow-ed, but at min we had to bank 28 Mil.

We had to cut a check for players we released or traded with G money left on their deal. Guys like Landon Collins and WJIII

Add those three moves alone and put in in a FA budget pool and your getting like 40+ Mil in spending money.

We had to dish out G Money for Terry's new deal as well. I think that was like 30 Mil.

Had to escrow money for our new rookie contracts too.

Clearly we are on a budget but we are not spending nothing. Even if the budget this year is similar to last year we have some money to throw around. Until there is some big money move outside of FA that could prevent it, I don't think its unreasonable to expect us not to be able to spend for some acquisitions.

Just gotta be smart about how you spend it.

Edited by FootballZombie

Top 100 free agents

player headshot
Lamar JacksonBALTIMORE RAVENS QB
The Ravens would be foolish to let him get away. They will put the franchise tag on him and then see if they can get a deal done.
player headshot
Derek CarrLAS VEGAS RAIDERS QB
A starting quarterback with his resume will prove to be a big-time value on this market. The question is, can he ever play up to the contract he will get?
player headshot
Javon HargravePHILADELPHIA EAGLES DT
He was a force for the Eagles' defense last year, getting 11 sacks and doing a nice job against the run. He will command a top-dollar deal after turning 30 earlier this month if the Eagles don't tag him.
player headshot
Daron PayneWASHINGTON COMMANDERS DT
He is coming off his best season with 11.5 sacks in 2022 in a contract year. Soon to be 26, he is just now in his prime.

Daron Payne should not get away from this place.......

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Conn said:

I just don’t want @JamesMadisonSkins getting himself all worked up and disappointed lol. I love his cap breakdowns and FA thoughts but it feels…not in the cards, this year.

I mostly agree and personally am not banking on us being too active. $$ might be the underlying reason we have no plans to go sign one of the big name QBs too. You could probably get a value signing at OG or LB or TE without breaking the bank and plan to roll most of the money over to 2024. 

I suspect most of our key additions will be via the draft. Which also makes a Payne tag and trade a reality. Ownership doesn’t want to commit big money with things in limbo. Get the cheapest contracts and talent via the draft. 

I have some confidence we could have a successful offseason if we did that and didn’t sign anyone outside of, say, a LG to a 6-8m APY deal. Then use Payne capital (2 & 4?) and go into the draft with 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4. Which is enough picks to get some talent in at the remaining holes. OT, LB, CB, C … probably the most likely path tbh (assuming a tag and trade is in play). Then you roll about $15-20 million into next year when you’ll have somewhere in the range of $145 million to spend with a new owner. 

• Like 1

Couldn’t have been many future guarantees in that “5 year 65 million dollar contract” lol. I don’t remember seeing the final breakdown but if it’s giving them cap relief rather than killing them it must have been mostly empty future years. 

Actually just read an article about how Wagner’s leadership even just in that one year helped pull McVay out of the emotional gutter during their losing streak and get his head back on straight.

Last year all the rumors were he wanted to stay west coast, right?  

11 hours ago, Conn said:

Couldn’t have been many future guarantees in that “5 year 65 million dollar contract” lol. I don’t remember seeing the final breakdown but if it’s giving them cap relief rather than killing them it must have been mostly empty future years. 

Actually just read an article about how Wagner’s leadership even just in that one year helped pull McVay out of the emotional gutter during their losing streak and get his head back on straight.

Sportrac lists as 5yr/50 mill.  

10 mill guaranteed at signing.  11 mill of roster bonuses (he won't see)  2023 salary guaranteed 3/19 (didn't trigger).  4 mill bonus escalates forward.  They list 7.5 mill cap hit, but without salary guarantee triggering I feel like it should only be 4mill hit.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Edit:link 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/bobby-wagner-9857/

Edit 2: 

It was bothering me so I looked again.  The 2023 roster bonus guaranteed last year I April (I was reading as triggered 2023).  With that 3.5 mill added its 7.5 mill (4mill + 3.5mill).  Still not a bad hit when first look was 5/50.  

Edited by CommDownMan
  • Thanks 1

Bringing in a future HOFer who is still playing at an elite level for Jamin to learn from can’t hurt his development. We’ll probably end up bringing Cole back but part of me wants a legend like Wagner or David who would do really well here given the DLine. 

If they can add an elite MIKE and one of the top 3 corners in the draft, this defense becomes elite and challenges SF’s for the top spot

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

My laypersons take on Wagner is that he's a guy you pay a premium for, when you think you have a reasonable shot at winning a championship. Von Miller finds him self in this category. Short term, high priced rental to get you over the top. 

I think Rivera isn’t too far away from that line of thought to be honest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

I think Rivera isn’t too far away from that line of thought to be honest.

Yep, and I don’t blame him.  Now, obviously the odds are pretty long that Wagner would come here, but his addition, particularly if we re-sign Payne, likely means we’re fielding one of the league’s best defenses.  Add a solid starting olineman in FA, and another 1 or 2 via the draft and I think we’re pretty well set to maximize Howell’s rookie contract window.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yep, and I don’t blame him.  Now, obviously the odds are pretty long that Wagner would come here, but his addition, particularly if we re-sign Payne, likely means we’re fielding one of the league’s best defenses.  Add a solid starting olineman in FA, and another 1 or 2 via the draft and I think we’re pretty well set to maximize Howell’s rookie contract window.

I still think I would prefer someone like Tremaine Edmunds who would be a long-term piece for the defense versus a 1-2 year rental. But I can see the appeal for a David or Wagner. I just don't know if we are there yet. Maybe next off-season if Howell hits and we truly see a window for a title as a result of that. Making our defense elite is great, but we won't get to the playoffs or deep into the playoffs if Howell is not the guy.

A "vet to put us over the edge" feels like a 2024 move when things are settled a bit with ownership. But I get the desire to add an impact LB. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

30 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I still think I would prefer someone like Tremaine Edmunds who would be a long-term piece for the defense versus a 1-2 year rental. But I can see the appeal for a David or Wagner. I just don't know if we are there yet. Maybe next off-season if Howell hits and we truly see a window for a title as a result of that. Making our defense elite is great, but we won't get to the playoffs or deep into the playoffs if Howell is not the guy.

A "vet to put us over the edge" feels like a 2024 move when things are settled a bit with ownership. But I get the desire to add an impact LB. 

It’s a roll of the dice for sure, essentially banking on Howell reaching a pretty high level of play. As long as we’re not ‘mortgaging the future’ though, I don’t mind swinging for the fences now vs waiting to see how Howell performs before adding ‘final’ pieces.  

10 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

It’s a roll of the dice for sure, essentially banking on Howell reaching a pretty high level of play. As long as we’re not ‘mortgaging the future’ though, I don’t mind swinging for the fences now vs waiting to see how Howell performs before adding ‘final’ pieces.  

That's fair. It will ultimately come down to whether or not Ron has full control of the purse strings this off-season or if the ownership limbo prevents an all-in approach. I know the new owner will be on board before the 2024 off-season so it just feels more like next off-season would be the "all-in" off-season and we'd have a year of Howell to see how close we truly are.

• Like 1

I’d look into Foster Moreau at TE. Has continually filled in as a TE1 when Waller has been hurt the last few years—and it’s been pretty often. Not a stud but a good, solid all-around TE with enough athleticism to threaten down the seam and in the RZ. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him blossom as a starter somewhere once he’s out of Waller’s shadow. Should come reasonably priced because his counting stats are pedestrian as hell as a TE2 who occasionally gets starter snaps. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Conn said:

I’d look into Foster Moreau at TE. Has continually filled in as a TE1 when Waller has been hurt the last few years—and it’s been pretty often. Not a stud but a good, solid all-around TE with enough athleticism to threaten down the seam and in the RZ. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him blossom as a starter somewhere once he’s out of Walker’s shadow. Should come reasonably priced because his counting stats are pedestrian as hell as a TE2 who occasionally gets starter snaps. 

I recall wanting us to draft him back in the day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I recall wanting us to draft him back in the day. 

Same. I’m trying to look in the bargain bin for FA this year to find some gems and I think he could be one (especially in a year where every team in the league is going to think they can draft a future starter at TE in a strong TE draft—and many of them will be right). Getting a cheapo vet who is better than his price tag and following that up with a talented rookie, paired with the potential for development from Turner and Rogers already on the roster—I think we could totally rebuild that position without premium investment in one offseason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

I like the signing of Williams at RB.  I'd like to see him get more carries.  Mayo can fill in on 3rd downs good enough Both are decent signings and only for a year.  I really hope Patteson gets more carries this upcoming season too.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I like the signing of Williams at RB.  I'd like to see him get more carries.  Mayo can fill in on 3rd downs good enough Both are decent signings and only for a year.  I really hope Patteson gets more carries this upcoming season too.  

It looks like RB is one position where we may do nothing in the offseason as far as upgrading. Or does EB try and lure someone from KC over to replace the possibly forced to retire JD McKissic? 

BRob

Gibson

JWill

Patterson?

McKissic?