Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

3 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

John Keim podcast:

1. Don't expect any more signings for a couple weeks.

3. He still thinks they're going to sign a linebacker. They like Holcomb but know that he needs a savvy veteran next to him to get the most out of him. He brings up the name Blake Martinez as a possible linebacker target.

Reading between the lines on these two statements… they want another LB, but want to wait to see who else might become a June 1 cut before committing. They may really like Martinez and want to wait him out specifically. 

They may also still be considering bringing Landon Collins back, which would affect how much money we have to work with. And technically, none of his cap savings are available to us until June 1 anyway… another reason to wait on a LB. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terpfan said:

If your point is just that we should sign more UDFAs, than sure I agree in general. I never understood why we didn’t do that the last few years. But this statement technically isn’t accurate. I think our 90 man roster is full at the moment. 

We signed a healthy amount of UDFAs this year. No team is going to fill half of their 90 man roster with rookies. 

According to this: https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-commanders/, the team is at 76 contracts (though not sure if Bada still counts against the 90 man total). I don't believe any of the UDFAs have been added into that yet, which would bring the total much closer to 90. But there is still some space.

But my point isn't just sign any random UDFAs. My point was specifically to bring in more RB UDFAs. Actually ANY RB UDFAs. There's two main drivers on that position. One, The success rate of running back UDFAs is high that most positions. The other is that the current team has maybe 4 guys that really should ever be on a 53 man roster at RB, depending on your view of Patterson. As most teams carry 4 RBs, there's zero margin of error there. If anyone gets hurt or turns out to be not good, there's no real back-up plan. We know what Jonathan Williams is, and that's someone who's not good enough to make anyone's 53 man roster. At least with a UDFA there's a chance you find a diamond in the rough. There's a chance you find someone who's better than Patterson. Right now the team seems content to just keep sub-mediocre known options. It's just puzzling to me. At least take a chance.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

That's because there is nothing. 5/4 is the new 4/1 apparently. 

Sad part is that it took me 10 minutes to get the joke. Imagine sitting there and wondering for 10 min.

I have work to do from my couch. Don’t have time to waste. 🤣

Edited by ClaytoAli

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

That's because there is nothing. 5/4 is the new 4/1 apparently. 

It's my juvenile way of dealing with the handwringing about Terry's deal.  Any updates (or Tweets that aren't even updates) are almost immediately posted on here.  Nothing is going to happen without everyone knowing about it. lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Busch1724 said:

Jon Allen...Chase maybe.

Yes we need a LB with leadership qualities but there is leadership on that defense. 

In terms of communication and making sure everybody knows what they're doing, I don't think we have a leader.   It's needs to be a LB or Safety.

Erickson is a solid pickup.  I figured we'd another veteran WR with return skills.    Dax Milne competition for the 6th spot.

Edited by FLSkinz83

9 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Sounds like Ezzard and Erickson Duke it out for the final WR spot? Or do we roll the dice using a player like Dotson on PRs to save a roster spot for someone else?

When's rookie camp anyway?

Milne would be in that conversation too. Those 3 guys for the 6th WR spot/returner is my guess. Harmon or AGG would really have to impress to unseat Cam Sims as the big WR. If they expect Dotson to contribute as a WR right away (which I’m sure they do) I doubt they’d want to rely on him as a returner. They didn’t play that up much in interviews about his skill set either. 

11 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Sounds like Ezzard and Erickson Duke it out for the final WR spot? Or do we roll the dice using a player like Dotson on PRs to save a roster spot for someone else?

Rookie minicamp is tomorrow through Saturday 

48 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I could get behind Martinez. I wonder if they would trade him since he just took a pay cut to stay. Coming off an ACL.

Still pissed the Giants took Beavers before our 7th rounder

Anytime someone gets Beaver(s) that you're pursuing it's going to be rough.   😜

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Shakazullo21 said:

Wait, didn't it say, the John Kiem Podcast reported no more signings for a couple weeks, and then John Kiem reports they signed Erickson?

His point was generally on drafted players and their positions. They didn’t draft a return man. On buffalo nickel, they may want to see how Butler is before they go sign Collins

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I think you're forgetting a pretty good return man... and he just lost 10 pounds.

Antonio Gibson. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, method man said:

His point was generally on drafted players and their positions. They didn’t draft a return man. On buffalo nickel, they may want to see how Butler is before they go sign Collins

Dude is a 6 year vet.  This isn't an UDFA signing.  We lost a Kick Returner in DeAndre Carter.  This guys is a decent return guy.  So this is a real free agent signing.  He has basically been the starting returner for the Bengals for 5 years and last year with the Panthers.  He may actually be more accomplished than DeAndre was when we signed him.  Erickson had close to 3500 return yards, Carter had less than 1600.  He is an ex Panthers who actually doesn't have a tie to Ron.

• Thumb up 2

8 hours ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Anytime someone gets Beaver(s) that you're pursuing it's going to be rough.   😜

as june said to ward, "you were little hard on the beaver last night, hon"

(i have been spending the last couple months working on the dated, juvenile, sexist humor part of my routine in service to the large segment of es posters who still like that stuff)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Shakazullo21 said:

Wait, didn't it say, the John Kiem Podcast reported no more signings for a couple weeks, and then John Kiem reports they signed Erickson?

He was guessing based on the last couple of years.  

He clearly guessed wrong. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

NOTE: While he played in Carolina in 2021, RON WAS HERE.

So, does that count as a ComPanther? Or not really?  

This is hard.  Hmmmmm.