Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

3 hours ago, Jericho said:

I think it's too late now, all the good ones are long gone. But take a guy like Kennedy Brooks or Jashaun Corbin would make sense. Both signed as UDFAs within the division. One guys signed with Philly, who has something like 40 RBs already. It just seems like good form to bring in a guy and see if you can find another James Robinson or whatever. When the fifth guy on the depth chart is 28 and has basically never stuck in the NFL, you know depth it is not a strength. When it's a position that's traditionally injury prone, you probably want some depth.

Above average is optimistic. I think it's a decent enough group IF Robinson translates well to the NFL and IF they all stay healthy. I'd want may more from a 4th or 5th RB though. Particularly the 5th guy. I'd agree that the team also needs those other positions, but RB seems like an easier position to fill. You can find good RBs, even from the UDFA pile. It's harder to find good tackles and CBs that are undrafted. That's why I'm a bit surprised they didn't bring in at least 1 UDFA RB.

Don't forget about Samuel as a RB option....I'll bet they plan to use him some in that role. If you pencil in Gibson, McKissic, Samuel and Robinson that's not bad. I see Patterson as a JAG that can easily be replaced. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jericho said:

Above average is optimistic. I think it's a decent enough group IF Robinson translates well to the NFL and IF they all stay healthy. I'd want may more from a 4th or 5th RB though. Particularly the 5th guy. I'd agree that the team also needs those other positions, but RB seems like an easier position to fill. You can find good RBs, even from the UDFA pile. It's harder to find good tackles and CBs that are undrafted. That's why I'm a bit surprised they didn't bring in at least 1 UDFA RB.

I think Robinson will be fine, he is a high ceiling, bruising back.  He may never be a bellcow, but he will get the enough yards and get the goal line carries.  He has a great head on his shoulders too, not a diva who is going to whine about not getting enough carries.  Gibson will actually be a better weapon imo with less carries if he can line up in the slot a little more with BR in the backfield.  AG has shown he can score and has home run ability.  JD is one of the best 3rd down backs in the game.   Not only is each one good individually, they complement each other VERY well as a unit.

And are we really worried about the 5th RB?  😂. I can't think of any FA available who I would want to displace our top 3 when you also consider cost, and no quality RB is going to sign here with those 3 already intact to be on the outside looking in.

• Like 1

• Riggo-toni changed the title to The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle
6 hours ago, Jericho said:

You could say this about virtually any NFL team. Washington probably has one of the weakest depth charts at RB, which should make it an attractive option by that logic.

I don’t agree.  I think it’s just “different.”  And I think it will be used differently.

Gibson is going to transition into a more diverse first and second down back, and will get caries and targets.  

Robinson is there for power run plays, and between the tackle stuff.

McKissic is the third down guy.

Samuel will get some caries.  

I think they’re going to spread the wealth around and each guy has a diverse skillet. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

40 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don’t agree.  I think it’s just “different.”  And I think it will be used differently.

Gibson is going to transition into a more diverse first and second down back, and will get caries and targets.  

I think they’re going to spread the wealth around and each guy has a diverse skillet. 

Sounds like how a modern day offense should operate. How about that!? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dark Acre said:

Maybe have a 2 RB backfield with Robinson and another guy to keep the D honest.  Man, that short time when we had Riggo and Joe Washington.

That was magical and an awesome season…until the SB and the Raiders. Remember the regular season game against them?  THAT was a helluva game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

That was magical and an awesome season…until the SB and the Raiders. Remember the regular season game against them?  THAT was a helluva game. 

I was there. I can still feel JFK rumbling.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, terpfan said:

He’s definitely an option there. Risky to rely on a 4th round pick for any immediate contribution though…

Kam was a 7th round pick and played in 16 games with 11 starts as a rookie. A lot will depend on how he looks in rookie minicamp and preseason. Listening to him he seems very confident so depends on how well he picks up things. 

• Like 1

Just now, SkinsFTW said:

I'm pretty sure that it was RFK, lol. 

I'm pretty sure you're right, lol. I remember being in the stands that day with some guy passing around straws and white powder after every score. It was the 80s...so maybe the effects have lingered.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But you're proving my point. Washington has 3 guys and a WR who may occasionally get carries. That's basically the depth chart. If you're a UDFA, you can sign with the team with numerous proven veterans and 6 drafts choices in front of you or you can sign with Washington, where you could easily be #4 on the depth chart with little effort. I'm not questioning Gibson, McKissic, or to an extent Robinson (though he still has to prove it). But that's pretty much the depth chart.

3 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I think Robinson will be fine, he is a high ceiling, bruising back.  He may never be a bellcow, but he will get the enough yards and get the goal line carries.  He has a great head on his shoulders too, not a diva who is going to whine about not getting enough carries.  Gibson will actually be a better weapon imo with less carries if he can line up in the slot a little more with BR in the backfield.  AG has shown he can score and has home run ability.  JD is one of the best 3rd down backs in the game.   Not only is each one good individually, they complement each other VERY well as a unit.

And are we really worried about the 5th RB?  😂. I can't think of any FA available who I would want to displace our top 3 when you also consider cost, and no quality RB is going to sign here with those 3 already intact to be on the outside looking in.

I'm not advocating signing veterans. I think a lot of people are misunderstanding my point. RB is the one position where many players are effectively washed up by their second contract, so I'm not hot on any veterans. And I'm not talking about replacing any of the Top 3 guys.. My point is Washington has 3 RBs of note - Gibson, McKissic, and Robinson. Patterson is pretty meh and Williams should never see the field. And that's pretty much it. Running back is also the one position where there always seems to be a few good ones every year that are late rounds picks or UDFAs. I'd take the QB approach and sign a few UDFA RBs every year. Treat them like lottery tickets. The cost is minimal and you might find the next Phillip Lindsay or James Robinson or whoever. Odds are you don't, but you should at least bring a few bodies to camp. Cause if Gibson tears his ACL and/or Robinson turns out to be Matt Jones 2.0, all of a sudden the team is stuck with Jonathan Williams as the bell cow? At least if you bring in a UDFA, you stand a chance of finding someone better. The team has strangely decided to just accept crap as the back end of the running back depth chart.

• Thumb up 1

So I guess we wait patiently until June 1st for the next wave of potential free agent signings?

I'm going to be very very disappointed if Trai Turner is our last pickup.

SOMEONE has to wear the green dot on defense. I'm not buying the sudden faith in Holcomb, as much as I love the dude.

Landon and a MLB would really put the cherry on top of the offseason so far.

Who drafted a MLB that are also tight on cap space and have a relatively expensive MLB that is cuttable? Anyone?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, everybody forgets about Sam

Gibby is the kind of back with the ability to fill multiple roles, so the way I see it

We have 2 power back with him and the new guy

and we have three scat backs w/ Gibby McK and Sam

If they all make it thru un-dinged, that's a nice rotation. Nobody takes too much damage.

I believe we only have around 80 players right now right? Pretty sure we have space to bring in more camp fodder to help prepare for the worst.

14 hours ago, Dexter said:

I would welcome Collins back with open arms....I would also bring back the junk yard dog Reuben Foster and see how he's doing.

Man, do you remember Foster in college.  Wasted talent. I would give him a call at he very least.  I hope that he is doing well as a person first and foremost.  

I thought he was going to be generational.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I'm not advocating signing veterans. I think a lot of people are misunderstanding my point. RB is the one position where many players are effectively washed up by their second contract, so I'm not hot on any veterans. And I'm not talking about replacing any of the Top 3 guys.. My point is Washington has 3 RBs of note - Gibson, McKissic, and Robinson. Patterson is pretty meh and Williams should never see the field. And that's pretty much it. Running back is also the one position where there always seems to be a few good ones every year that are late rounds picks or UDFAs. I'd take the QB approach and sign a few UDFA RBs every year. Treat them like lottery tickets. The cost is minimal and you might find the next Phillip Lindsay or James Robinson or whoever. Odds are you don't, but you should at least bring a few bodies to camp. Cause if Gibson tears his ACL and/or Robinson turns out to be Matt Jones 2.0, all of a sudden the team is stuck with Jonathan Williams as the bell cow? At least if you bring in a UDFA, you stand a chance of finding someone better. The team has strangely decided to just accept crap as the back end of the running back depth chart.

This is a strange take to me. We’ve got a top half of the league every down starter, one of the better third down backs in the league, and just drafted a guy in the third round that complements those two perfectly. Patterson and Jonathan Williams are perfectly fine options for a 4th RB, if you even keep one. Unless you’re expecting a rash of preseason injuries I’m not sure what the concern is. We have several other positions where depth is a far more serious issue. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

So I guess we wait patiently until June 1st for the next wave of potential free agent signings?

I'm going to be very very disappointed if Trai Turner is our last pickup.

SOMEONE has to wear the green dot on defense. I'm not buying the sudden faith in Holcomb, as much as I love the dude.

Landon and a MLB would really put the cherry on top of the offseason so far.

Who drafted a MLB that are also tight on cap space and have a relatively expensive MLB that is cuttable? Anyone?

Here are the highest paid ILB. Don’t think any of the top guys will be cut and if they are they are too old. 

https://overthecap.com/position/linebacker/

Its rather slim pickings. I wouldn’t count on some big name being signed. After all we still need to sign Terry. 

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

But you're proving my point. Washington has 3 guys and a WR who may occasionally get carries. That's basically the depth chart. If you're a UDFA, you can sign with the team with numerous proven veterans and 6 drafts choices in front of you or you can sign with Washington, where you could easily be #4 on the depth chart with little effort. I'm not questioning Gibson, McKissic, or to an extent Robinson (though he still has to prove it). But that's pretty much the depth chart.

Are we even going to carry 4 RB's though? I don't see it. They only kept 3 last year and things were less certain at the position then. 

17 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Man, do you remember Foster in college.  Wasted talent. I would give him a call at he very least.  I hope that he is doing well as a person first and foremost.  

I thought he was going to be generational.

Reuben Foster is the best college linebacker I have ever seen.  Reuben was a Ferrari and everyone else was a taxi cab.  I have never seen someone with the explosiveness, acceleration, strength and violence that Reuben had.  Rare talent but injury prone.  I would love to see him get another chance, especially with us.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1