Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

33 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Yeah I can see that we must have that 3rd comp pick in mind. And I do understand that will come in useful in the 2023 draft...

But man, look around the league. I’m leaning towards our way of thinking being somewhat outdated to be honest.

Why would Wagner ‘be out of our price range’. No comp pick implications with that at all. He may have no interest in being here anyway. What is a price range these days? Vegas are about to give Carr 40mil py having signed a premier edge rusher and thrown 140mil at the best WR in the league. 

However, I think what must be going on is that Rivera truly believes he has a very competitive roster as it stands. Must be that. Or we can’t entice decent FA’s.

Trying to remain optimistic. I like Rivera. Currently underwhelmed with our approach over the last few days. Maybe that will change.

The idea that continuity or the salary cap matter are the hallmarks of outdated thinking in the modern NFL. Rivera is a creature of his time, and that time has passed. I think you're right to be underwhelmed, but no one wants to hear that right now.

• Like 1

Just now, KDawg said:

Seeing more of Dean I think he’s a better bet for us than Lloyd. 

Definitely Dean over Lloyd.   Only issue is his size to play MLB.

After all the signings, it seems like we have approx. 12 mil cap room.   We should spend every penny of it, since 12 more mil is coming June 1st.

13 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Definitely Dean over Lloyd.   Only issue is his size to play MLB.

After all the signings, it seems like we have approx. 12 mil cap room.   We should spend every penny of it, since 12 more mil is coming June 1st.

We pretty much have, isn't it like 6-8M for draft picks and the additional savings from Collins needs to flipped the moment it becomes available into an extension for Terry.

14 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

It wouldn’t surprise me that Collins realises his market value is less that what we tried to cut his contract down to. 

1 minute ago, Commander_N_Chief said:

We pretty much have, isn't it like 6-8M for draft picks and the additional savings from Collins needs to flipped the moment it becomes available into an extension for Terry.

Sounded like Rivera wanted to rework the Wentz contract to facilitate us extending a couple of our own, he said. Terry Mc and Payne you’d think.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Sounded like Rivera wanted to rework the Wentz contract to facilitate us extending a couple of our own, he said. Terry Mc and Payne you’d think.

I'm sure he'd like to but Wentz has to be willing, it also takes away one of the best pros for the trade...an out with no loss of cap space beyond this year if it doesn't work out.

7 minutes ago, Commander_N_Chief said:

I'm sure he'd like to but Wentz has to be willing, it also takes away one of the best pros for the trade...an out with no loss of cap space beyond this year if it doesn't work out.

I reckon Wentz will be fine with that. 

You can see even with the smaller deals that JD and McCain go that they added voidable years to push the cap out. I could even see a scenario where he get a re written deal with voidable years on to get push some cap out. 

Listening to Rivera, there is no way this is a one and done for Wentz. And if he fails then I suspect Rivera should be done too.

That said, we don’t appear desperate to utilise cap space too much so it may be a non factor.

Edited by Est.1974

56 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Only LB I would draft in the 1st round.  He checks every single box for a LB.

Love Dean.   I am guessing though he can be had later in the first round.

https://ugawire.usatoday.com/2022/03/16/georgia-bulldogs-hc-kirby-smart-on-why-nakobe-dean-sat-out-nfl-combine-limited-during-uga-football-pro-day/

Dean has impressive instincts, football intelligence and is extremely fast, though we still are not sure how fast. Dean’s biggest knock throughout the NFL draft process will be his lack of size, but does that matter?

Modern NFL defenses are looking for speed, versatility, sound tacklers and smart players. That sounds exactly like Dean, who is an engineering major with strong leadership traits.

2 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Regarding the McLaurin extension - it wouldn't start until next year, so we don't need cap room for him this year.   Am I wrong?

He was available to extend at the start of the league year(after 3rd year).

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I reckon Wentz will be fine with that. 

You can see even with the smaller deals that JD and McCain go that they added voidable years to push the cap out. I could even see a scenario where he get a re written deal with voidable years on to get push some cap out. 

Listening to Rivera, there is no way this is a one and done for Wentz. And if he fails then I suspect Rivera should be done too.

That said, we don’t appear desperate to utilise cap space too much so it may be a non factor.

Unfortunately for Ron(and I'm not unhappy with the trade) I feel like this will somehow blow up in his face.

2 hours ago, method man said:

A reasonable remaining wishlist:

- Lucas

- Danny Johnson

- DeAndre Carter

- Hooper (1 yr deal)

- Rotational DT

- Backup RB for Gibson (don’t spend more than $1m/yr) - can sit on this

- Vet MLB (Anthony Walker or Josey Jewell type)

I think Walker resigned in Cleveland but a pretty solid reasonable list.

I would love to see Lucas or another swing T set before the draft. To me, that's a biggie and I'd like a vet.

1 minute ago, Commander_N_Chief said:

He was available to extend at the start of the league year(after 3rd year).

Unfortunately for Ron(and I'm not unhappy with the trade) I feel like this will somehow blow up in his face.

Yea, extend is different than tearing up his contract for this year and giving him a new one.

6 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Regarding the McLaurin extension - it wouldn't start until next year, so we don't need cap room for him this year.   Am I wrong?

I’d think it can been done either way seeing as he’s past 3 years, I would say he’d get paid this year.

48 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Yea, extend is different than tearing up his contract for this year and giving him a new one.

You can extend and add money this year to lower cap hits moving forward, unless we want to be one of the teams that just keep kicking the can down the road such as the Saints.