Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

7 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

Anyone else notice the Ron Rivera say's "and I really mean that" quite often when he speaks?

YES! And it gives me trust issues with him. Never like to be on the receiving end of someone's "I really mean that" following a compliment or vote of confidence- usually is the kiss of death.

That said, I really do believe that Rivera hopes Wentz is the long term answer at QB- I really mean that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

He really makes it sound like they didn’t think he would be there to acquire.

I don’t think he’s lying about that either.  I didn’t believe they would really dump him. I figured there was substance to Irsay being pissed about the vax/covid/end of season stuff but figured cooler heads would prevail.  With no QB behind Carson and no first round pick, it was outright insane to part with him.  I’d imagine Reich and Ballard hated every part of it - because Irsays emotions just made their lives a lot harder.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

I really mean that...

I'm telling you the truth here...

Seriously...

All those things are typically used as a prefix to a statement that is either more cold than it is presented or patently false.

I took it as an acknowledgement that most things said to the media are “coach speak”. And this isn’t. But you can’t really say “I usually lie to you guys at least a little bit but this time I’m not” lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

I really mean that...

Seriously...

All those things are typically used as a prefix to a statement that is either more cold than it is presented or patently false.

Or from a guy who came up with a bad habit within his speech and he says it in conversation.

I could easily pretend that every time someone says "uhm" that they don't have a clear thought and are therefore on my "pay no mind" list.

Bad speech habits happen.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

I really mean that...

Seriously...

Or coaches constantly are asked questions they can't be entirely truthful about and he's making sure folks understand he's not giving coachspeak.

12 minutes ago, Conn said:

But you can’t really say “I usually lie to you guys at least a little bit but this time I’m not” lol

Well, unless you're Mike Shanahan who said EXACTLY that.  What was the exact quote? 

Found it:

"What I’m trying to do is be as honest as I can, and I don’t normally do that because I don’t really think it’s anybody’s business except the guys in our locker room," - Mike Shanahan, December 11th, 2013.  (It was about Robert and why he was benching him, I think.)

• Like 2

Rivera is happy as a hog in **** that we got Wentz. That’s clear enough really.

Interested to see where we turn next. Keep going back to receiver and the vertical game. Could we take a chance on Fuller ???

And Allen Robinson to the Rams. Holy ****.

And Mayfield request a trade.

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 3

Something to point out on the QB front: Washington HAS to sign 2 QBs in some way shape or form before OTAs and mini-camps.  Because they need the arms to hold practice.

Also, Wentz has shown that he does have some durability issues.  Last year, TH was healthy, and that's great, but he also had some history of durability issues.  

I don't know how we're going to get 2 more QBs.  I'd place a pretty good bet one of them is going to be an UDFA.  And be destined to either be cut entirely or end up on the practice squad.

The other ...  Ron has gone into both years with 3 QBs on the roster.  We used 4 QBs in both 2020 and 2021. I have to imagine they are looking to bring in somebody who can compete with TH for the backup job, and probably end up as an "on the roster inactive 3rd string guy."  Maybe that person beats out TH, maybe he doesn't.  

My guess is the draft, but there are still plenty of second/third tier QBs available in FA who they could bring in as well.  

If they could trade back from 11 and pick up a 3rd round pick, I'd be willing to bet they would draft Ridder or Strong (probably Ridder) if he's available in the second or third.  I think Strong is going to be the last of the 6 QBs off the board (Pickett, Willis, Corral, Howell, Ridder and Strong.)  So maybe he's there and they grab him. I don't THINK any of those guys will slide to the 4th.  But if one of them does, I'd be shocked if they didn't pick one of them.

But regardless of anything else, here's what we know right now about the QB depth chart:

QB1: Wentz.

Only other QB on the roster: Taylor Heinicke.  

And we KNOW that has to change because you can't hold training camp with 2 QBs.  And most likely, they would like a 3rd string QB on the roster somehow.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But I can absolutely see a world where the Commanders DESPERATELY WANT to trade down, but nobody wants to trade up.  Which is why I think we're picking at 11. Could be wrong on that, we won't know until the draft starts to unfold, but the odds are they will pick somebody at 11.  

Well, if what you're trying to say is that you need a partner to trade with to make a trade then I would have to agree with that. And if they don't have a trade partner then I would also agree that the odds are very high that they'll make a pick at 11 since that's where they are slotted to draft. 

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

I wonder what it would be like for a coach to trade a few picks for a guy, then say "he is our QB 1 going forward but I hope to see this be a very short tenure and I really mean that." Would the QB be in the corner of the room crying? Jared Goff would have the closest experience to it, but he also has wads of $500 bills to wipe his tears with.

No, because if we'd somehow had gotten Wilson without giving up our 1, Rivera should be saying the same thing.