Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Don't even see how New Orleans makes that work, cap-wise. And even if they do, they're losing their LT and need receiver help, which they can't afford to address in FA and presumably won't have the picks to use to help. And their cap will still be a mess next year.

I agree with everything you just said, however to get Watson (the football player) I think the NFL has shown us to get that QB teams will do almost anything.  Just load up that line of credit!!!  LOL

52 minutes ago, method man said:

Moses had a great 2020 and put up a very solid 2021 for the Jets. He wasn't making much either, only $8M/year. Moving him out for a rookie should have been low on the priority list.

Cosmi is already better and will only improve and costs $1.5M against the cap for the next three seasons. Drafting players like him is how you build a roster.

Not everything we do is wrong.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Cosmi was rated as one of the best run blockers in the league and I think that is where we will miss Sheriff the most.  Our right side when they were both in the lineup was dominant. No doubt that Cosmi was a home run pick hopefully we can snag another stud in the draft to keep up the depth.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

If anyone is feeling down about our future, just imagine what it's like to be a falcons fan.  Ridley suspended, such a dearth of talent on both sides of the ball.  Even if they trade for Watson, the loss of premium picks it would take would still ensure they are one of the worst teams for the next few years.

Screw that, they lost the Super Bowl to the Patriots after being up by 25 points. If I ever saw the Skins lose a Super Bowl in that fashion, I'd go into a deep depression. That was in 2017, I would STILL be depressed. I would probably retire from watching the NFL all together, until the Skins made it back to the Super Bowl and got a victory. 

• Like 2

I know they can make some moves and generate some cap space, but to currently have the whole cap spent for the year and have maybe 1 elite player on the roster is wild

At some point with Ron you start asking yourself, what's the end goal here? are we trying to genuinely become a team that challenges in the play offs each year? or are we just trying to stay at 500 and preserve jobs

I know patience is required as this has been a process and I've been a big Ron advocate so far, he's a really likeable guy and a good leader, but entering year 3 he's not untouchable any more and its on him to now start injecting some serious talent into the roster to get us up there challenging

• Thumb down 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Love that, focus on in house retention and we are listed along with the Packers. Strictly true I guess.

Apke, Larsen, McCain

Rodgers, Adams, Campbell

:ols:

And adding Wentz as well, we had 33m going into free agency, after these signings now about 5m after releasing Collins. 

Green Bay were 60m OVER the Cap and they've given Rodgers 150m, Adams 20m franchise Tag and Campbell 10m. 

Salary Cap

What ******* Salary Cap. 

6 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Screw that, they lost the Super Bowl to the Patriots after being up by 25 points. If I ever saw the Skins lose a Super Bowl in that fashion, I'd go into a deep depression. That was in 2017, I would STILL be depressed. I would probably retire from watching the NFL all together, until the Skins made it back to the Super Bowl and got a victory. 

Man do I ever hear you.  If they lost in that fashion, I think I would still be walking like Forrest Gump.  (except he was running, but the premise is the same).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nerm said:

I don't know the details, but my guess is that Dallas wanted some financial protection if he gets suspended again.  Not an unreasonable thing to ask for, seeing as Gregory has spent the majority of his career suspended.  He is a good pass rusher when he is on the field, and they will miss him.  However, there is a pretty good chance that they would have been missing him even if they had signed him, since the odds of him getting suspended again are probably above 50% based on his history.  At least this way, the Cowboys are not paying him and missing him at the same time.

This issue as per the reporting is that Cowboys and Gregory had a deal and the Cowboys came back several times with changes AFTER they had an agreement. It was not him rejecting the initial terms. They had an agreement but then the Cowboys keep changing the terms. The Broncos made an offer and kept to it.  That is not dealing in good faith. That may turn out to not be true, but that's the way it was reported yesterday. 

12 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/03/panthers-to-sign-rb-donta-foreman

Darn! Forman would have been a nice signing. Guy’s a beast and would have been our cowbell and allowed Gibson the ability to play JDs role. Cheap signing too $2mill

The guy with 987 career yards and who has been cut 4 times was supposed to be the bell cow? I guess you're hoping for that rare 6th year running back breakout? I feel like there has to be better options out there.

1 hour ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

So I guess we will not be going after anyone if we are so broke?

Team isn’t broke, it just isn’t playing games with the cap yet, and that’s the right move. 

This is the year they try and figure out QB. If they do it’s probably a playoff team. Then they start the cap games.  If they don’t they try again and cut Wentz to open up cap space next year. 

Playing cap games to get yourself to mediocre turns you into the Cowboys or Vikings right now. Losing key pieces and having to hope rookies hit to make your team a wild card loser. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I’m personally fairly disappointed so far with FA. The Wentz move was excellent in my opinion, I think we could have brought some others in these last couple of days.

Not a big deal, but will see if we can start to improve in the second wave. I’m not buying that we are up against three cap at all. That’s a myth.

I also don’t buy to much into the comp pick benefits. I mean a third. Team that just won the SB laughs at draft picks.

Hoping we can make a couple of encouraging signings in the next few days.

52 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

This issue as per the reporting is that Cowboys and Gregory had a deal and the Cowboys came back several times with changes AFTER they had an agreement. It was not him rejecting the initial terms. They had an agreement but then the Cowboys keep changing the terms. The Broncos made an offer and kept to it.  That is not dealing in good faith. That may turn out to not be true, but that's the way it was reported yesterday. 

There were updates on that yesterday—the Cowboys put language into the contract voiding guarantees if a player is fined. No other team in the NFL used that specific language, but it’s standard for them, and the only non-rookie player on their roster who doesn’t have that language is Dak (and his leverage was huge obviously). 

The weird part about it is that the same agent for Gregory also represents La’el Collins…so he should have known about that Cowboys-specific language. 

So that’s a wrinkle, and may be evidence that it’s just an agent doing their job in deflecting outrage away from their client for changing their mind—maybe Gregory just decided to chase a SB in Denver, maybe they sweetened their offer, or maybe there really was some confusion with the contract and when Gregory learned about it he was just done with the Cowboys organization. Who knows. 

The interesting part was finding out about that Cowboys-specific language that they insist on for all FA or post-rookie contracts.

10 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

You’ll never have to worry about that as long as Dan is here.

This is good.

I was gonna say that it’s more embarrassing to have an entire SB in the midst of a potential dynasty run where the team lost because the players were too hungover on gameday despite playing for the greatest leader of men that people swear the NFL’s ever seen.