Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

7 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I was one of the few on here that said Deandre Carter was making the team last year. We needed a reliable returner and I believed he was our best option. Many thought Milne deserved the spot ahead of him but he was a rookie and couldn’t be trusted to be consistent.

With that said, I don’t believe we should spend much money to resign Carter. We can pick up someone off the streets to return kicks, late round pick or Milne is an option. If we can get him for 2/$3mil then that would be fine but anything more would be a bad decision no matter the continuity aspect. 

With that said, we’ve had issues at returner for eons it seems… so I’m not sure he’s quite so easy to replace.  I agree though that I wouldn’t look to spend much on him at all.

7 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I think Carter gave us something as a returner that we haven't had in a long time. I also think he came up with some clutch catches during the year. I would be reluctant to let him walk if we can sign him at a reasonable rate.

He's a good 5th WR - active on game days as the primary return guy and can give you some quality snaps at the backend of your WR rotation. He is not someone you pay much more than vet minimum to though.

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

He's a good 5th WR - active on game days as the primary return guy and can give you some quality snaps at the backend of your WR rotation. He is not someone you pay much more than vet minimum to though.

From my own selfish perspective... I don't hold my breath any longer on returns. Haven't been able to say that in a few years.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

With that said, we’ve had issues at returner for eons it seems… so I’m not sure he’s quite so easy to replace.  I agree though that I wouldn’t look to spend much on him at all.

Im with you. He was a valuable player for us last year both as a returner and receiver plus he seemed like a good locker room guy. Let’s face it though returns are not as impactful in football anymore. Kickoffs are a joke, just take the ball at the 25 and how many punt returns for tds happen anymore. All of 2 last year that’s it!

Carter was forced into playing wideout but we need a rookie wideout and Brown to step up!

Edited by skinsfan93

41 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Yea, Cook is my 3rd ranked RB.  Hall and Walker are top two, but they'll be gone in the 2nd round  and I don't want to draft a RB in the first two rounds.

Hall and Walker are the clear two leaders.  I am guessing they go somewhere from the late first to the mid 2nd round.  No real consensus it seems on the 3rd best back.

39 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

5.5 Mil aint a lot to pay for continuity. There may have been better guys available but there is value in retaining familiarity on the back end. I figured of all our leaving FAs, McCain was the one they wanted most.

With him back the starter FS role is filled. Now we just need to beef up depth a S overall

And he doesn't factor into comp pick formula because it's a resigning.  I like the move for a variety of reasons.  Now get Wagner!!!!

16 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Curtis Samuel equals or greater than Shenault. No thanks 

It’s not one or the other if you can get the guy with untapped potential on a rookie contract for a late round pick 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

And he doesn't factor into comp pick formula because it's a resigning.  I like the move for a variety of reasons.  Now get Wagner!!!!

Think I’m preferring Hicks as the first option. Carter next tier down but that would definitely require a high end rookie.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

5.5 Mil aint a lot to pay for continuity. There may have been better guys available but there is value in retaining familiarity on the back end. I figured of all our leaving FAs, McCain was the one they wanted most.

With him back the starter FS role is filled. Now we just need to beef up depth a S overall

Plus he gives great post game pressers.

5 minutes ago, Conn said:

It’s not one or the other if you can get the guy with untapped potential on a rookie contract for a late round pick 

Theres no way that we can get him for a late round pick. There’s already a lot of teams interested in him. I think Shenault could be a slot guy or do it all type player but in my opinion he took a step backward last year. 

13 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Eagles letting RB Boston Scott walk...he's a similar player to JD...quick, receiving back who had 8 TD's on 77 touches this past season. 

Familiarity with Carson, too. 

He'd be a good replacement for JD if he comes cheap. 

Edit: after posting this, I wondered if they ever actually played together. Going to have to check.... 

Edit 2: Yes, I can confirm they played together 2018-2020. 😁

Edited by duffy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Think I’m preferring Hicks as the first option. Carter next tier down but that would definitely require a high end rookie.

I'd be thrilled with hicks too.  Id still feel uneasy with Carter, feeling that we might force a bad pick to fill MLB.  We can't enter next season without an upgrade there.

If we add Wagner/hicks, and with McCain filling FS, I'd be ok filling out the rest of the roster with midtier FAs and draft picks, ensuring we get the 3rd round comp pick from scherff deal. 

Id be confident they won't force a reach on draft day, and they'd be in great shape to trade back if they find a partner.

And I feel we are in significantly better shape moving forward.

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

I'd be thrilled with hicks too.  Id still feel uneasy with Carter, feeling that we might force a bad pick to fill MLB.  We can't enter next season without an upgrade there.

If we add Wagner/hicks, and with McCain filling FS, I'd be ok filling out the rest of the roster with midtier FAs and draft picks, ensuring we get the 3rd round comp pick from scherff deal. 

Id be confident they won't force a reach on draft day, and they'd be in great shape to trade back if they find a partner.

And I feel we are in significantly better shape moving forward.

MLB simply has to be addressed with a vet acquisition. 

Beginning to wonder if we are trying to preserve that 3rd round comp pick now. Hicks woundn’t count and we can still squeeze a couple of low tier deals in that offset Settle and JD.

Or we do something random and bring in Robinson at WR from nowhere :ols:

Just now, Franklin60 said:

Plenty of times.

Yeah, I just went back and edited it after checking. For some reason, I started to second guess myself into thinking Boston Scott arrived after Wentz was traded. But yeah, they played together a few years

4 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Bobby Wagner would really free up our draft. He’s exactly what’s been missing on our defense for 2 years. I have a hard time seeing Rivera not wanting him. I’m holding out hope. 

I think Wilson is trying to drag him to Denver