Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time to Fire Ron, Jack & Wright

El Mexican

2 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Whether you agree or not, facts are facts. 

Gibbs DID have more coaching assistants than any other team back then, there's no arguing that point.

Now, whether RR is good HC material, well, thats up in the air IMO; he's not a bad HC but his success was tied with Cam Newton.

Jack DelTaco? Good coach?  lol... 

Ron is mediocre coach. 3 of playoff runs happened because the team played better later in the season.

Ron has never had back to back winning seasons; even during his playoff run in Carolina.

The 6-8 win territory is more the norm for Ron than winning seasons.

7 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Ron is mediocre coach. 3 of playoff runs happened because the team played better later in the season.

Ron has never had back to back winning seasons; even during his playoff run in Carolina.

I recall Panther fans becoming increasingly frustrated that Ron would just do enough at the end of the year to save his job again.

We have experienced this. We also see the team not appearing fully prepared at the beginning of some games. We got used to that after the Gruden era. What's nice is they can adjust

Ron is a great man, one of his great strengths is also a weakness. He has extreme loyalty. He needs to move from his comfort zone and shake up his staff on defense, special teams and general team preparedness mentally and physically 

Edited by DWinzit

46 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I recall Panther fans becoming increasingly frustrated that Ron would just do enough at the end of the year to save his job again.

We have experienced this. We also see the team not appearing fully prepared at the beginning of some games. We got used to that after the Gruden era. What's nice is they can adjust

Ron is a great man, one of his great strengths is also a weakness. He has extreme loyalty. He needs to move from his comfort zone and shake up his staff on defense, special teams and general team preparedness mentally and physically 

Ron was going into year 3 of the Panthers expecting to be fired. He changed his approach and became more aggressive. Riverboat Ron was born and the Panthers had their first winning season and playoff appearance followed. Then 2 more appearances. Year 4 winning division with a losing record. Year 5 losing the Super Bowl. 

He wants to be around beyond 22; he has  to make changes and get that qb.

• Like 1

I'm not over the moon with RR, but he does seem to try and bring a normalcy to the team, so with that I can wait and see what/how he improves the team.

At least thus far HE hasn't created a hostile working environment, and a sense of things working as they should is showing, its just the assistants, especially DelTaco; that guy, I dunno what some see in him, but he's never held anything consistent, starts out good then goes to crap. Hec, he wasn't even coaching anywhere when he was hired; that should be a big red flag. 

On 12/30/2021 at 2:08 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, I watched a bunch of jags off the street get their doors blown off.  And even before that, sure - the roster still has holes.

I think the 4 game win streak after the bye spoke volumes about Ron's leadership.  The team had every reason to pack it in and stop caring yet when healthy and half the roster wasn't on the Covid list, they imposed their will on the opposition and scrapped out victories in games they would usually lose.

I feel you brother, and I want to believe.  But after 25 years of basically the same thing it's hard.  I'm still here and I still watch but I'll BELIEVE it when I see it.

On 12/30/2021 at 11:43 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

I see your point, and to a degree you are absolutely correct; the thing is, I see Rivera as being the GM-type of the team, where the coordinators are moreso responsible for success/failure.  

Rivera seems like the HC who needs his staff to succeed; he just doesn't strike me as a creative type of HC, but at least there's not a circus with him { at least not yet } so hopefully they can make some changes in the assistants, especially defense. Today was a clear example; so many wide open WRs, with 4 or 5 WFT players around him but none in a position to do anything.

On 12/31/2021 at 8:57 AM, method man said:

The issue is none of then have track records of success in that seat. 

Well, that depends on how you look at its. 

Herny basically put together the Panthers SB team. He left the year before but it was his team.  Mayhew had some success in Detroit.  

They wouldn’t be my choices.  But they both had some success previously.

• Thanks 1

Fitz going down for the season screwed the pooch. TH would have been GREAT in relief/backup. Ron just never caught a break on offense. Del Rio is another story...who made the decisions to change personnel on D..who chose the replacement players..who was LATE in moving Collins when EVERYONE saw the need. Then you have just plain crap alignments/schemes. I can't see him keeping his job..really.

I didn't watch the game...probably through as a regular Sunday watcher.. I'll DVR and watch if it suits me. I actually found something else to do that I "enjoyed". I may re-energize sometime in the future ( I did THIS YEAR..Fooled me, HA!) ..don't know..don't care.

My Redskins are dead and buried. I'm too dang old to start being a fan of another team. 55 years of being a skins fan  with 25 being TOTAL CRAP *seems* enough.

What a dang shame.

33 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Fitz going down for the season screwed the pooch. TH would have been GREAT in relief/backup. Ron just never caught a break on offense. Del Rio is another story...who made the decisions to change personnel on D..who chose the replacement players..who was LATE in moving Collins when EVERYONE saw the need. Then you have just plain crap alignments/schemes. I can't see him keeping his job..really.

There's one other element that goes against Del Rio (and all the defensive coaches). It wasn't just bad scheme, but it was the constant miscommunication and dropped coverages that never got fixed. That's a failure in coaching, scheming, and teaching. Look at what Masko did along the line. He was able to plug in a fourth string center and make him servicable. With spit and bubble gum, he held our line together for such a long time. Sure, it fell apart against Dallas, but at that point we were down to our back up tackles (was Leno and Cosmi both out? I can't remember), third string guard, and fourth string center.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skins island connection said:

I see your point, and to a degree you are absolutely correct; the thing is, I see Rivera as being the GM-type of the team, where the coordinators are moreso responsible for success/failure.  

Rivera seems like the HC who needs his staff to succeed; he just doesn't strike me as a creative type of HC, but at least there's not a circus with him { at least not yet } so hopefully they can make some changes in the assistants, especially defense. Today was a clear example; so many wide open WRs, with 4 or 5 WFT players around him but none in a position to do anything.

Ron is old school and other than Bill, it doesn’t work in today’s nfl.  In a qb driven league; you need a qb and we don’t have one.

1 minute ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Ron is old school and other than Bill, it doesn’t work in today’s nfl.  In a qb driven league; you need a qb and we don’t have one.

The QB missing is the issue not the coach. I’m not necessarily defending Ron. He was handed a first round pick QB who wasn’t his choice in year one. Won the division with a combo of a a dude with one leg and two journeymen QBs. Tried to trade for Stafford in year 2 and ended up with Fitzpatrick who got hurt in game 1 and he wasn’t eliminated from the playoffs until the second to last game of the year. I fully expect him to go all in on a trade. He’s not going to wait until draft day. 

13 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

The QB missing is the issue not the coach. I’m not necessarily defending Ron. He was handed a first round pick QB who wasn’t his choice in year one. Won the division with a combo of a a dude with one leg and two journeymen QBs. Tried to trade for Stafford in year 2 and ended up with Fitzpatrick who got hurt in game 1 and he wasn’t eliminated from the playoffs until the second to last game of the year. I fully expect him to go all in on a trade. He’s not going to wait until draft day. 

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the room where he's evaluating who to go after. He could get lucky and maybe get that QB's best WR as well, although chances are slim, but getting one who has experience together can make things alot easier in the beginning and maybe free up McLaurin early on.

I don't mind Rivera as a head coach, but in the modern NFL it seems you really need a good minds at the coordinator positions with eyes & ears always looking forward at new trends and how to counter, build off them as opposed to someone running an old-school offense that just can't keep up with other top offense and instead relies on a defense to keep the opponent to under 20 points every single week. 

It is kind of jarring to think how coordinator-rich this franchise was before Rivera ended up here, yet because one had his well poisoned because of who his dad was and the others didn't have big flashy names in the league yet they all exited for better jobs relatively quickly.

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

It is an interesting point. Jay had Jordan Reed, Pierre Garcon, DeSean Jackson, and Jamison Crowder, most of those even in worse season in 2014. Ron had McLauren, Logan Thomas, JD McKissock, and Antonio Gibson. RG3 was a weight on Jay's shoulders for sure, and Kirk laid a lot of eggs in 2014, but Haskins + Peg Leg + Kyle Allen + Heinicke wasn't a walk in the park either.  It says a lot to me that Ron put together the same record with fewer tools in the drawer.

Edited by NickyJ

2 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Ron is the ultimate decider. Remember the Martys work for him; so the fact we don’t have qb is definitely Ron’s fault.

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Ron is the ultimate decider. Remember the Martys work for him; so the fact we don’t have qb is definitely Ron’s fault.

I agree. He was too conservative last offseason. Can’t afford to be this time around.

5 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Rivera gets a pass based on the fact he’s brought some credibility back in what has been a turbulent couple of years.

The goodwill has all but run out now. Need a strong offseason and a sharp upturn in results in 2022.