Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time to Fire Ron, Jack & Wright

El Mexican

13 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

... And having a franchise quarterback, fixes a lot of our problems.

Very true.  However, who do we have that you trust to make the call on who to pick at QB?  I don't know that there is a single person in Ashburn that I trust to make the correct call, draft or FA.

1 minute ago, Taylor 36 said:

Very true.  However, who do we have that you trust to make the call on who to pick at QB?  I don't know that there is a single person in Ashburn that I trust to make the correct call, draft or FA.

It's a good question, and I"m not sure.

Do we have faith in Rivera to do that ?

3 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

It's a good question, and I"m not sure.

Do we have faith in Rivera to do that ?

I mean there wasn't anyone I think was truly affordable/accessible.  We took a swing at Stafford but god was he expensive, and there wasn't really anyone reachable in the draft without giving up quite a bit to get in the top 10, top 9 since I doubt that NE would've gone down to 19 with their need at QB.  Should we have done it?  Maybe.

Last year we were ****ed.  Haskins was a second-year first-round pick and Rivera really couldn't just cut him.  Smith was a miracle but also prevented us from trying to pluck and groom someone.  Taking Young in the draft was a no-brainer (despite what it looks like right now).

Gotta swing for the fences this offseason, but I don't think we can judge Rivera thus far.  I mean he did sign Heinicke out of nowhere who has done a great job for a guy who shouldn't be starting.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I mean there wasn't anyone I think was truly affordable/accessible.  We took a swing at Stafford but god was he expensive, and there wasn't really anyone reachable in the draft without giving up quite a bit to get in the top 10, top 9 since I doubt that NE would've gone down to 19 with their need at QB.  Should we have done it?  Maybe.

Last year we were ****ed.  Haskins was a second-year first-round pick and Rivera really couldn't just cut him.  Smith was a miracle but also prevented us from trying to pluck and groom someone.  Taking Young in the draft was a no-brainer (despite what it looks like right now).

Gotta swing for the fences this offseason, but I don't think we can judge Rivera thus far.  I mean he did sign Heinicke out of nowhere who has done a great job for a guy who shouldn't be starting.

I think Washington goes hard at Carr if he doesn’t sign an extension with Vegas.

• Like 1

Wanting to fire Ron is stupid.  This team was a total dumpster fire when he took over.  And us lucking into winning the division at 7-9 completely disrupted the rebuild, I'm sure Ron wasn't expecting that to happen.  I want to win at all costs, no matter what, but picking at #19 did us no favors in the rebuild.  We get Davis and missed out on better players.  

This team has been depleted by injuries, covid, etc.  and we have a QB that should not be a full time starter in the NFL.  I root for the guy, obviously, and he has made some incredible plays, but he is too short and lacks the arm strength to make up for that.  I think he has proved that he at least belongs in the NFL as a back-up, not a starter.  

I don't think we beat the Eagles and the Giants game is a toss-up imo.  Right now, we have the #9 pick in the 2022 draft, most likely it improves slightly (I don't think we can get higher than #7) based on how other teams finish.  We need to give Ron a chance to build through multiple drafts and FA.  Firing him after 2 years accomplishes nothing. 

Now JDR and Scott, that's another story.  I'd be fine with replacing both of them.  I guess that depends on who we have under center next year, I'm hoping it's not TH, because we know what we have in him now, a solid back-up.  I don't think this is a QB heavy draft, correct me if I'm wrong, so we might be looking at FA for that position.  Granted, I'm not sure there are great options in FA either:  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/

If Snyder fires Ron, it's Zorn 2.0 all over again.  Nobody is going to want to come here and we will get a subpar HC and coordinators.  Honor Ron's 5 year contract, after that if we are still a 6-8 win team, then don't extend him and look elsewhere.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

Stop buying crap from this organization.

Already done that.

6 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

And why would we go after him in the first place ?

I can't believe some people actually think we would want him.

I saw something the other day that had us giving up two 1st and a 3rd for him.  No thanks.

34 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

The traveling benches show that Dan Snyder is still slithering around despite his "probation" by the NFL. And Ron claims the benches were a surprise last week in Philadelphia. He had no idea the team was going to copy the Cowboys troll on Washington. 

So WHO is actually picking the QB?

Dan has been involved in ALL the QB decisions starting with Jeff George. 

• Like 1

I don't think RR was brought here just to win. IMO he was brought here to restore respectability to the dumpster fire that is our team. Don't know if he has accomplished that yet. When he got here he had Haskins so I would think he had to give him a chance. Same with Smith. Shame he passed on the kid from the Chargers and even Tua. Now is the time to get a QB either from FA or the draft as TH has had his chances also. I am discusted with the last few games same as all of you but I think you should give RR the full 5 years to turn this around. If you guys want to get rid of JDR and Turner fine. I don't think either of them are winning coach of the year in the near future anyway. Happy holidays to all. Cheers.

14 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

The team is in the process of a rebuild and decimated by injuries and COVID.  Firing a coach less then two years into his tenure isn't going to fix or change that.

But doing a serious review of the OC, DC and firing the special teams Coordator would be the right move .

13 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

I don't think RR was brought here just to win. IMO he was brought here to restore respectability to the dumpster fire that is our team. Don't know if he has accomplished that yet. When he got here he had Haskins so I would think he had to give him a chance. Same with Smith. Shame he passed on the kid from the Chargers and even Tua. Now is the time to get a QB either from FA or the draft as TH has had his chances also. I am discusted with the last few games same as all of you but I think you should give RR the full 5 years to turn this around. If you guys want to get rid of JDR and Turner fine. I don't think either of them are winning coach of the year in the near future anyway. Happy holidays to all. Cheers.

Tua no thanks

I think the talent level of a roster matters more than the coaching in a lot of ways.  I think a coach can help groom talent and help lead them to success, but you need the talent in the NFL as a starting point.

Look at McCarthy.  Dude coached the Packers for what seemed like a decade and manages a single super bowl with a Top 3 QB during his prime, is pretty much seen as a bad coach.  Then goes to a talent-rich Dallas and surprise they are winning and going to the playoffs when heathy and loaded with talent.  Is McCarthy all of a sudden a good coach now?  Would he be seeing any kind of different results than Rivera is in Washington?

Until this team has a legitimate franchise QB and a roster that isn't a constant turnstile due to injuries or covid or whatever else, how do you ever expect to have consistency?

I can go either way when it comes to Rivera, wasn't super excited about his signing, but wasn't down on it either, it was just another sort of "fine, okay, we'll see" reaction out of me.  

To his benefit, he has had two seasons thus far, one with a veteran on one leg taking over for a draft BUST and this season a journeyman QB without an NFL arm, and has still managed to have his team playing meaningful games in December. 

I wouldn't run Rivera out of this town any time soon.  The coordinators, possibly? I am willing to discuss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

18 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Yes.  

100 percent this.

How do you do that? To me, this team needs some form of hope at QB, at the same time we need serious bodies. I mrean you gotta address, LB, CB, St.Juste suffered what 3 concussions this season? I mean the kid should think about retiring that's way too many. I mean the only positions I'd leave alone is punter, and the Dline and even then I wouldn't mind DT depth cause we might lose a guy or two this offseason. 

Mel Kiper says we should go with Matt Corral in the draft. I mean if you wanna hit a home run in the draft I mean in a perfect world you trade back and get picks and get bodies and still land him but that's a tall order. I'm tired of drafting stars, just get me some guys with chips on their shoulders who have no clue what social media is or care about public image and just wanna hit people, make plays and prove doubters wrong.

39 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

In a trade?  Cause he's not a FA until 2023.

He has one year left and Vegas isn’t likely to bring him back for a lame duck season. He’d be significant upgrade and he’d be cheaper than Stafford. It would be free, but I doubt we would have to trade the farm for him.

27 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

The traveling benches show that Dan Snyder is still slithering around despite his "probation" by the NFL. And Ron claims the benches were a surprise last week in Philadelphia. He had no idea the team was going to copy the Cowboys troll on Washington. 

So WHO is actually picking the QB?

Dan has been involved in ALL the QB decisions starting with Jeff George. 

Again, that's why I don't trust this team to get the QB situation right. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

But doing a serious review of the OC, DC and firing the special teams Coordator would be the right move .

no-its-not-nope.gif.a86eb07cff4e5baabee7455856dfbdfa.gif

This is jus reactionary, the team has barely any talent to execute these systems, at some point we need to get back to accepting we were supposed to be rebuilding and this is going to take a while.  How many different QBs has Turner had to deal with since he's been here?  Who wins anything without one?

5 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

To me, this team needs some form of hope at QB, at the same time we need serious bodies. I mrean you gotta address, LB, CB,

I'll take a team with a franchise quarterback, and average LB and corners, over a team with stellar corners and LB's and an average QB,  any day.

4 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

I'll take a team with a franchise quarterback, and average LB and corners, over a team with stellar corners and LB's and an average QB,  any day.

Agree, see the San Diego Chargers. Set at QB for the next decade at least, and time to fill those other holes vs oh god we need a QB but wait there's maybe a stud edge rusher generational at the top of the board, hope he works out. 

• Like 2

The pressing issue is player acquisition, not coaching. It's not just the QB situation, either.

• Rivera is the guy in charge, and this year's draft/FA results certainly call that into question.
  • It's doubtful he'd accept a demotion to just HC.
  • Even if he would, there's no evidence Dan is capable of hiring a good chief football executive.
  • Even if that miraculously happened, there's no evidence that guy would be allowed to do what's needed.

It will always come back to Snyder, sad to say.

• Like 1