Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you hire Urban Meyer to coach your college team?

PleaseBlitz

Would you hire Urban Meyer to coach your college team?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Would you hire Urban Meyer to coach your college team?

Pretty simple question.  Urban Meyer has won pretty much everything in college and built multi programs into powerhouses. He's won 3 national championships with two different programs.  3 Big Ten cships, 2 SEC cships, multiple coach of the year awards, SI Coach of the Decade, produced a ton of first round NFL picks and on and on.

He also had a COLLOSAL failure in the NFL, maybe the worst coaching failure ever.  It also outed him as a bit of a scumbag and egomaniac.  

You know the story.  Question is would you hire him to coach a COLLEGE football team.  

14 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I’m not really sure I want someone who thinks it’s OK to kick people and get lap dances from the school cheerleaders as my schools coach.

I agree.

Tho it'd be a tough decision as an AD. Meyer can certainly make your program top ten in the first season.

Saban was awful in the NFL but I honestly don't know jack about his off field activities. I'm definitely glad he didn't do well with the Dolphins. 

• Like 1

Never. 

I’m much like Ted Lasso. Everything I do is about relationships with people. It’s about culture. It’s about process. 

The results will take care of itself. There are multiple paths to the same destination. No sense arriving…. when you’ve hated the entire process. 

That’s why these jackasses hate losing more than winning… because it’s the silver lining (justification) of a miserable experience. The only thing left is the hardware.

But when you win the right way…. it’s unforgettable. And the bond with your brothers/sisters last a lifetime. 

If your mandate to me (if hiring me as an AD) is win at any cost… then I’m turning the job down. I’m not the right fit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It also outed him as a bit of a scumbag and egomaniac.

I think that cat was already out of the bag after the Zach Smith situation came to light.  He's a great coach but he's amoral and probably a pathological liar.  That recommends him for the job though, the best college coaches are shameless cheaters and tyrants.

• Thumb up 1

I live in Gainesville. But really don't care that much about the Gators. So, I've been kinda exposed to news about him. But really didn't pay much attention. 

So I have things I associate with him. But they may not be accurate. 

From what I remember, he left while under contract, by claiming he was retiring. And then, after the Gators hired a replacement, decided that well, he wasn't really retiring, he was just taking a job at Ohio State. 

And I have this memory that after he left, suddenly the NCAA started getting tips (and imposing penalties) against UF, for things that happened when Meyer was the coach. Investigations that supposedly began based on tips from unnamed people at OSU. 

For what it's worth. And we're talking about vague impressions. 

Meyer is trash. But Saban was a decent pro coach, he went 9-7 his first year with the Dolphins..with Gus and Sage as his QBs. Yes he abandoned them after a 6-10 year 2 when they underachieved ( probably from the FO choosing not to sign FA Drew Brees and going with Daunte Culpepper) 🤦‍♂️.

The year after Saban left, the Dolphins went 1-15.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Steve Jobs was a bit of a asshole too.  

It's nothing against you when I say this because I like you and you're a good poster but...I can't stand it when people say this about Steve Jobs to justify being an asshole in the workplace.

Steve Jobs knew what he was doing and had a vision that what he was doing was going to change the world.  And he did.  And he was able to get people that were working for him to buy into that vision and to understand that the projects that they were working on would help change the world, too...so he could be a bit of an asshole about it.  Henry Ford, as well.  

Urban Meyer, on his best day on earth, isn't close to Steve Jobs.  There are a lot of great football coaches out there, Urban Meyer was one of them.  There are a few guys with similar, competing resumes and accomplishments....and guys that are certainly more accomplished than him.  On a similar note, for anyone who owns a 10, 25, 50 person company in an arena where they're doing unspectacular things that don't change the world and thinks they can say "Steve Jobs was an asshole, too" and feels that they can justify their actions by saying that can run straight off a cliff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

21 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I voted no, but i think i would hire him. Id also hire someone to keep an eye on him and remind him not to do assholish stuff whenever possible. 

How would anyone less than the President of a college (maybe) have any sway over the guy? And why would he accept a job where he does not have total absolute power for all things football. I don't think there's a school in the SEC that wouldn't offer him that and a pay-day that makes up 73% of that state's GDP?

26 minutes ago, youngestson said:

How would anyone less than the President of a college (maybe) have any sway over the guy? And why would he accept a job where he does not have total absolute power for all things football. I don't think there's a school in the SEC that wouldn't offer him that and a pay-day that makes up 73% of that state's GDP?

73% of GDP? 

For Florida that would be $877 billion.

For Georgia that would be $491 billion

For Tennessee that would be $300 billion

For Alabama that would be $177 billion

For Mississippi that would be $89 billion

Nobody's paying that much.