Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

I personally am sick of reaching, sick of rehabbing, sick of spending big money or trading picks

Name Howell the starter unless some incredible QB falls to us by a freak chance in the draft and sign someone to be the clear number two

Hell, bring back Kyle Allen.  He'd be fairly cheap

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'How it started: How it's going: 2018 2023 MVPs: 0 OPOYs: 0 1st Team All-Pros: 0 SB appearances: 0 Turnovers: 0 Beard: none MVPs: 0 OPOYs: 0 1st Team All-Pros: 0 SB appearances: 0 Turnovers: 86 Beard: sort of'

Funny meme, but I would take that in a heartbeat as to what we have going on here. He forgot to post the 177 Total TD's, 18k yards passing, 3k yards rushing.

Diggs is good but could you imagine him with our crew. There are only a couple of dudes in the league that I would be good with doing an over the top deal with. Wonder what it would take to get him here. After new ownership of course.

Edited by tmandoug1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

He forgot to post the 177 Total TD's, 18k yards passing, 3k yards rushing.

I think that's the joke doug

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Listen, if they don’t want him I’d take him

here faster than you can blink :ols:

Yeah, no kidding. I would too.

On 1/25/2023 at 12:09 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

The Andy Dalton stuff from Jason Reid.  I listened to it.  

I like Reid but he seemed to be winging it on Howell.  And I don't blame him for it because Keim asked him and he responded to the question and its hard to set a ceiling and floor on a QB with hardly any sample size.

He thought Howell's limits were his athleticism and adjusting from North Carolina's system to the pros.

I had concerns about whether Howell's more physical running style would translate to the NFL.  But after seeing him do it at the Senior Bowl, the preseason and the Dallas game, I am sold about him on that front with that data so I was surprised he listed that as a concern.

As far as the Dalton comparison.  I think Dalton's top weakness is arm strength.  Howell's top strength is arm strength. 

Granted he didn't compare the two stylistically but referenced similar caliber player.  But If i am going apples to apples and saying one dude is peak another dude -- I'd want the two players to be somewhat similar.  And I don't find Dalton and Howell that similar.   Howell IMO's strength is using his arm strength to make some wicked throws, deep outs, go routes, etc and can his his mobility to improvise when the pocket collapses.   That's not what i think of when I watch Dalton.  

As weird as it is to say, it may just be as simple as Howell looks weird running the ball. He's got a funny kind of physique, thick, but short, not long legs, so when he runs it just looks a bit odd. He doesn't have a second gear either, it's just more long speed, he doesn't lose speed on 25-40 yard runs from what I saw, and he has a little goofy lateral jukey bit w/the hips, he can't like shimmy guys out of their shoes, but he does seem to misdirect tacklers with his hips a lot. 

I wouldn't argue he's athletic, but I actually think he's a legit, effective, rusher w/the ball because of those little things, the hips, lateral movement gifts, a lil bit of juke to him, and the fact that he can burst out of the pocket and maintain speed for long runs (I don't see the second gear). 

Interesting, unusual guy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

As weird as it is to say, it may just be as simple as Howell looks weird running the ball. He's got a funny kind of physique, thick, but short, not long legs, so when he runs it just looks a bit odd. He doesn't have a second gear either, it's just more long speed, he doesn't lose speed on 25-40 yard runs from what I saw, and he has a little goofy lateral jukey bit w/the hips, he can't like shimmy guys out of their shoes, but he does seem to misdirect tacklers with his hips a lot. 

I wouldn't argue he's athletic, but I actually think he's a legit, effective, rusher w/the ball because of those little things, the hips, lateral movement gifts, a lil bit of juke to him, and the fact that he can burst out of the pocket and maintain speed for long runs (I don't see the second gear). 

As a runner, I'd summarize it as he has good vision and is opportunistic, and his lower body is thick enough to take punishment and he's a gutsy runner.

He's athletic enough. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick ran a 4.87.  Yet had almost 2700 career rushing yards.  He was an opportunistic runner.  Derek Carr runs in the 4.6's yet is considered by some borderline immobile.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

One of the things I think Howell also has as a runner is good vision. I saw it in college and then on his TD run vs Dallas. He basically did what good RBs do and saw a gap opening up before it was actually there. He cut back to the middle where his blockers were just starting to clear a path to the left and then made a couple nice moves. With most QBs that probably would have been a sack or stopped close to the LOS.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MrJL said:

I personally am sick of reaching, sick of rehabbing, sick of spending big money or trading picks

Name Howell the starter unless some incredible QB falls to us by a freak chance in the draft and sign someone to be the clear number two

Hell, bring back Kyle Allen.  He'd be fairly cheap

One thing I like about naming Howell the starter heading into the offseason is that it takes away the desperate label that the rest of the league would put on us, in addition to us committing to a guy we drafted. Maybe we do find someone who falls into our laps the same way we found Howell? Maybe the competition for Howell comes from the draft in the 4th round (Hendon Hooker?) where we see a guy who fell in the draft and we pounce? Crazy things happen with QB's like what's happened in San Fran this season. 

43 minutes ago, zCommander said:

From Facebook

NFC East QB power rankings

This list seems awfully reactionary, doesn't it?

Here's mine:

1. Jalen Hurts

2. Dak Prescott

3. Daniel Jones

4. Cooper Rush

5. Sam Howell

6. Gardner Minshew

7. [REDACTED]

8. Tyrod Taylor

9. Davis Webb

10. Carson Wentz

I think when factoring in everything Prescott is in stock dropping mode, but it's tough to drop him too far at this point. I think Hurts is star level, top 5 kind of guy right now. 

Rush showed more than Howell this year, mostly because Howell wasn't afforded the chance, but Howell has an upside higher than even Prescott. We just don't know if he can realize it. I think he can. But we will see. 

Carson Wentz is 10. Guy would be lucky to hit the ocean in a boat the way he played. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

This list seems awfully reactionary, doesn't it?

Here's mine:

1. Jalen Hurts

2. Dak Prescott

3. Daniel Jones

4. Cooper Rush

5. Sam Howell

6. Gardner Minshew

7. [REDACTED]

8. Tyrod Taylor

9. Davis Webb

10. Carson Wentz

I think when factoring in everything Prescott is in stock dropping mode, but it's tough to drop him too far at this point. I think Hurts is star level, top 5 kind of guy right now. 

Rush showed more than Howell this year, mostly because Howell wasn't afforded the chance, but Howell has an upside higher than even Prescott. We just don't know if he can realize it. I think he can. But we will see. 

Carson Wentz is 10. Guy would be lucky to hit the ocean in a boat the way he played. 

Taylor Heinicke doesn't make the top 10?

• Haha 1

That Howell touchdown run is so friggin awesome.

As pissed as I was to piss the postseason away, this is as excited as I’ve ever been going into the offseason. And seeing the roster as strong as it was all year, and then Howell the last game and it’s the little things that stuck out. No idea if it works (knowing us it won’t) but at least it’s fun to think about and better than having a bare cupboard completely. 

6 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

[REDACTED] doesn't make the top 10?

[REDACTED] is there.

3 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Why is Gardner Minshew above Tyrod Taylor?  Tyrod has at least been a starter a few times in the league

Probably because he showed a bit more than Tyrol this year and the last few years when he started. Tyrod is aging. That drops guys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RWJ said:

Fromm arm strength is weak.  Super smart and good game manager but no arm. I don't see how he fits this team.  Can't understand why RR and Co. signed him.  

He was an emergency 'break glass if needed' guy signed to the practice squad in October. NFL calibre QBs on the street are hard to find in October.

Personally I don't think Fromm belongs on an NFL roster in any capacity - but then again Nathan Peterman keeps finding employment ...

• Like 2