Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

Just now, Llevron said:

Right. Why make yourself hate the guy with bull**** like he doesn’t want to play here and he had character issues when none of it is based in reality. You can not like him and not lie to yourself about him. It’s fine. 

You don’t see people calling Maye some kind of malcontent or stupid or anything like that. Why play into that ****? Cause if he is here you are gonna do it the entire time and to what end? 

This is completely off topic but I've seen people try to gaslight someone else as part of abusing them. 

It's a type of psychological warfare you don't do to yourself, someone does to you.

I get your point, but I wish you'd use a different word, I'm sure you can find one better that's closer to the point you're making.

Back to your regularly scheduled program...

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Yes, if his processing is as good as people say it is, if the arms fine, if the accuracy is what they say, if the anticipation piece is fine, if the middle of the field is more about the WR's talent, than a problem using the field, if the p2s ratio thing isn't a thing (even I can't help but spit take at such a moronic argument), if he works through the progressions, and stays as healthy as he did in college, yeah. There's no denying what he did in '23, and hinted at in '22, or in a couple of games in '20. It's right there. The elite running, I even heard Shawn Siegel from rotoviz basically say, he stays healthy, the '23 Daniels is if Burrow and Lamar had a kid. I think that's nuts, but otoh, I respect the heck out of Siegele. So yeah, the upside is there, again, for me, it's the endless litany of concerns, and once we have a cohort of prospects at QB, I go sniffing around like a truffle hound for bust risk, rather than success projecting because over time I've become convinced that nobody and nothing is good at projecting who will be successful beyond tiering, and then figuring out which guys have the most warning signs, rather than positive traits. 

So for me, yes, I can totally imagine Daniels becoming a star, its probably 45/55 to 60/40 that he either shows he belongs, or just goes nuclear. It's very easy to see it happening. But I also think that 40-55% chance that he just totally implodes puts him firmly behind Maye for me, but most of the guys I respect most in the dynasty analytics industry disagree w/me, and plenty of other people, and there are definitely loads of concerns with Maye too. We'll see. 

At the end, as vituperative as the arguments may have been, the basis for them is largely disagreement of about 5-15% on the liklihood of hitting long term vs busting or just being replacement level (The Dalton/Tannehill line). 

Anyone who uses the word "vituperative" in a post earns my respect. 😎

Yeah while I am a Maye person like you.  I am with you, @KDawg among some others here concerns about Daniels durability and some other things -- but do see a flip side to Daniels where he can be a star. 

The trashing of him as a player seems way over the top by some IMHO.  And look even the trashing to me is OK with the disclaimer that they acknowledge like you do that plenty disagree with them.

I used it as an example for myself as to Troy Franklin.   Most scouts (based on leaks) and NFL pundits disagree with me about him.  They are much higher on him than I am.   Does that mean the rest of these guys are idiots and only I can see the forrest for the trees about him?  Maybe?  But maybe I don't.  It's at least in my mind that maybe I am wrong -- am not ignoring information that runs counter to my thoughts. Everything is in play. I could be royally right.  I could be royally wrong.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They way he's been trashed on this thread.

You'd think he's Blake Bortles and Josh Johnson had a kid in a three way with John Beck. 

Why are you just worried about this thread? Maye has been dragged all through the mud all across the national media. So what if this thread pushes back the other way?

Edited by Rolo Tomasie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Right. Why make yourself hate the guy with bull**** like he doesn’t want to play here and he had character issues when none of it is based in reality. You can not like him and not lie to yourself about him. It’s fine. 

You don’t see people calling Maye some kind of malcontent or stupid or anything like that. Why play into that ****? Cause if he is here you are gonna do it the entire time and to what end? 

Sorry but several credible reporters (Schefter, Fowler among others) have said that he is at best lukewarm about the Commanders but that he is "prepared" to go here because he has to. Then you got the ASU stuff that scouts mentioned to Pelissero and the articles about how his time there ended...how is it not based in reality if you are not excited about these things? I think denying these issues exist entirely is actually not based in reality. How much you make of that or whether you find this bad or unimportant is up for discussion but to dismiss everything completely is in my opinion more lying to yourself than the other extreme.

No one is calling Maye any of that because not a single report about any concerns with regards to him coming here have floated. If that happened to Maye, people also wouldn't like it. Don't see why that would be different.

If Daniels ends up here, everyone is going to support him as long as his on and off-field performance warrants it. Same as with every other QB.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

Why are you just worried about this thread? Maye has been dragged all through the mud all across the national media. So what if this thread pushes back the other way?

I can only control what I can control.  I can post on this thread.  As for the NFL media, sure in the future I expect to be on shows like Path to the Draft, GMF, etc to bring balance back to the NFL universe.  I am not there yet. 

But once my posts-rankings of players which I've been posting for years on the draft thread eventually catch fire, I do expect to have some national play.  

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

Jayden Daniels is super close with Pierce.  Pierce is close with his family.  Raiders is his dream destination.

Caleb Williams said the previous summer when asked to pick his dream destination said the Dolphins. 

Mason Rudolph openly lobbied to play for the Redskins back in the day but the Steelers took him.  Howell is a Cowboys fan. A lot of these guys don't end up at their dream top spot.

Do I think Daniels genuinely would pick the Raiders if he could?  Sure.  I don't think he's alone as for QBs in the draft.  We got the articles about Caleb not wanting to play for the Bears.  Back in the day, Burrow didn't want to play for the Bengals.

Who knows if its smoke or fire?  I know Keim is being clowned on this thread more than I ever seen over the years -- but I still put stock in his takes and when he says he knows people close to Daniels who have told him multiple times Daniels is more than cool coming here and some even said this is one of his three preferred spots.  I buy it.  Do I buy the Raiders are his top spot?  Sure.  But how many players actually get drafted to their absolute dream destination?

To each their own but for me the Daniels where he wants to be narrative

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Per the Hogs Haven guy below.  I started Daniels > Maye.  Then Maye > Daniels.  But always dug them both

I became big time Maye though not anti-Daniels.  Like I said the other day i recall me among others debating @KDawg on Maye on the draft thread, months back.  He wrote a long post with issues that he believed Maye had as to taking sacks, seeing the field, accuracy, etc.  i bring that up now because if its true that this team has concerns about Maye...

Maybe he was on to how they might see it with him as to concerns? Not that i didn't have any concerns with Maye but my concerns centered just on first level and off platform accuracy that I assume can be fixed.

Then the Daniels calvary invaded this thread.  And heck I couldn't resist pushing back some.  :ols:    Since the've mostly left, its been very titled towards Maye and somewhat anti-Daniels so heck I couldn't resist pushing back on that too.  So i gather I have successfully annoyed both sides in this discussion 😎.  It's often a lose lose for me in these QB threads in the end.

I am at peace for whatever they do. Even McCarthy :ols: who've I consistently liked even before it was cool, just never loved.  Only thing that would irritate me is trading down and missing out on a QB, but i think the odds are zero for that to happen.  

• Like 1

In a way I’m happy that neither guy seems generational to me, hence my inability to be all-in on either player.  This puts me in position to simply hope for the best no matter who it is.  Some of you guys are going to be absolutely miserable.

With every “it’s looking like the Commanders will take Jayden Daniels” blurb coming out of the media, the further I lean that we will be taking Drake Maye though.

• Like 2

I believe this is now 4 dfferent sources that believe its between Daniels amd McCarthy

@Warhead36 to your suspicion that Peters must see things differently than wanting Daniels.  I doubt it.  But no way to know.  But if he does, I'd wager a guess its McCarthy he prefers not Maye.  When I got Keim with also diffferent national types saying the same thing.  And that post that got cut off with Spielman saying "concerns" about Maye in relation to this team, I am guessing there is some more to the fire.

Though i am still not ruling anything out.  While I've never thought any reporter especially Keim is spitballing and has no idea what they are talking about.  I also don't believe the other extreme which is they are never wrong.  Everyone is wrong sometimes.

For me I still think there is enough suspense with the pick, that I can't say I won't be a bit on edge before the pick is turned in.  I think Daniels feels like the most likely scenario, but nothing would shock me if its someone else.  Feels like that someone else though is more likely McCarthy.  But will see.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/40007023/2024-nfl-draft-news-intel-top-picks-prospects-sleepers-buzz

_end_rule.pngwsh.png&h=110&w=110

Which QB will go to Washington at No. 2?

Fowler: The Commanders conducted high-level personnel meetings early this week to begin finalizing plans for the three-day draft, including what to do at No. 2 overall. The expectation from other teams picking in the top 10 is that Washington will go with LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels....Washington spent significant time scouting Daniels, and its actions suggest it has zeroed in pretty firmly. The Commanders do like Michigan's J.J. McCarthy, too, but that would be a pretty big upset pick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

With every “it’s looking like the Commanders will take Jayden Daniels” blurb coming out of the media, the further I lean that we will be taking Drake Maye though.

Not me but I am not ruling Maye out.

If I put $100 on this right now.  I'd go $60 on Daniels.  $20 on Maye.  $18 on McCarthy.  $2 on McConkey.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Per the Hogs Haven guy below.  I started Daniels > Maye.  Then Maye > Daniels.  But always dug them both

I became big time Maye though not anti-Daniels.  Like I said the other day i recall me among others debating @KDawg on Maye on the draft thread, months back.  He wrote a long post with issues that he believe Maye had as to taking sacks, seeing the field, accuracy, etc.  i bring that up now because if its true that this team has concerns about Maye...

Maybe he was on to how they might see it with him as to concerns? Not that i didn't have any concerns with Maye but my concerns centered just on first level and off platform accuracy that I assume can be fixed.

Then the Daniels calvary invaded this thread.  And heck I couldn't resist pushing back some.  :ols:    Since the've mostly left, its been very titled towards Maye and somewhat anti-Daniels so heck I couldn't resist pushing back on that too.  So i gather I have successfully annoyed both sides in this discussion 😎.  It's often a lose lose for me in these QB threads in the end.

I am at peace for whatever they do. Even McCarthy :ols: who've I consistently liked even before it was cool, just never loved.  Only thing that would irritate me is trading down and missing out on a QB, but i think the odds are zero for that to happen.  

Yeah, I got a ton of flack for that post from people. My stance hasn’t changed, but I have come around on Maye. With his issue being footwork related, that is highly coachable. Of course, that doesn’t guarantee success. But, it increases the probability. 

When his mechanics are clean he looks phenomenal. He just breaks down mechanically and it really effects him.

Coachable issues have a higher increased chance of being corrected that physical issues. 

• Like 4

I honestly find it quite interesting that everyone says we are so tigh-lipped about everything on the one hand, yet on the other hand many people also pretend to know exactly what happens internally. Both just cannot be true at the same time.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If I put $100 on this right now.  I'd go $60 on Daniels.  $20 on Maye.  $18 on McCarthy.  $2 on McConkey.

I haven’t even mentioned McCarthy because to me him at #2 is about as likely as Chicago passing on Williams.

Maye is a slight favorite for me, solely based on everyone saying Daniels is a foregone conclusion.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

$2 on McConkey because you anticipate a trade down into the bottom of the first round?🙂 Extremeskins would go apoplectic.😄

Just now, DiscoBob said:

If we go Drake Maye tomorrow, Peters is officially the misdirection GOAT

Only good reasons I could see why one would do that is to conceal our draft strategy for the rest of our picks for as long as possible (not really much to conceal) and maybe to weed out some moles. But overall I think it is unlikely that we invest a lot of energy into this. So I guess most of these reports are based on real excitement around Daniels.

But I would also absolutely love it.