Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

9 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Rivera has a 22-27-1 record as an HC here after 3 seasons.  VERY few coaches are brought back for a 4th season with a record like that. 

That’s the best winning percentage of any coach in the Snyder era over their first 3 seasons…and that’s during a pandemic and while battling cancer and getting treatments at halftime and dealing with a name change and nonstop controversies. I would like to think that, within that context, a 4th year is appropriate.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I agree with this, year 4 it's time to **** or get off the pot.

If we are terrible on defense to start the year like we have a few times or if we're below .500 and don't make the playoffs that's definitely on Ron at this point.

Two things I’m keeping an eye on early on:

How we look the first 5-6 games.  This team under Rivera starts off slow and sluggish, especially on the defensive end.  Rivera can’t afford to have the team start off slow AGAIN.  This team has to be sharp and hit the ground running early to give itself a chance to win.

The second thing I’m going to be focused on is Sam Howell.  I don’t think we’ve really discussed how vital Sam’s performance is to Rivera keeping his job.  If Sam gets off to a slow start, and we struggle early on in games, how long is Rivera going to stick with Sam, given the pressure to win?  Another thing to think about is the offensive play calling.  If Sam struggles early on, will Rivera pressure EB to run a more ball control oriented offense?  Will we revert to what we saw last year, with a ground and pound offense and controlling the clock?  I think the first 6 weeks will tell a whole lot about how this season will go, and whether or not we have a shot at the postseason.

16 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

That’s the best winning percentage of any coach in the Snyder era over their first 3 seasons…and that’s during a pandemic and while battling cancer and getting treatments at halftime and dealing with a name change and nonstop controversies. I would like to think that, within that context, a 4th year is appropriate.

Under normal circumstances, an HC with that record would’ve been canned, but this is different.  That being said, status quo THIS season is unacceptable.  He can’t win 7-8 games (or less), and expect to be given a pass by new ownership.  The NFL stands for Not For Long, so you have to show results, or be shown the door.  4 years is plenty of time, Snyder or not, to show results.

I don’t want to give anyone PTSD, but I wonder how things would’ve gone, if Snyder weren’t selling the team.  Would he have fired Ron after last year?  I imagine that he would’ve been pissed at the ending to last season, and Ron’s embarrassing gaffe about not knowing the team would be eliminated from the playoffs if they lost to the Browns, especially after that horrific Carson Wentz performance.  I would wager that Rivera would’ve gotten fired after Week 18, but thankfully we’ll never know.

Edited by samy316

14 minutes ago, samy316 said:

don’t want to give anyone PTSD, but I wonder how things would’ve gone, if Snyder weren’t selling the team.  Would he have fired Ron after last year?  I imagine that he would’ve been pissed at the ending to last season, and Ron’s embarrassing gaffe about not knowing the team would be eliminated if they lost to the Browns, especially after that horrific Carson Wentz performance.  I would wager that Rivera would’ve gotten fired after Week 18, but thankfully we’ll never know.

I just realized this is the quarterback thread so I won't say anything more after this on Ron but honestly I don't know about this, Snyder seemed to be developing a little more patience in his later years.

He was pretty patient with gruden despite little success and as califan pointed out that is the best Snyder had seen as an owner.

Add that to the fact that Rivera had steered the ship pretty well through a hurricane of snyders own making and I think he would have had a pretty long leash.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Under normal circumstances, an HC with that record would’ve been canned, but this is different.  That being said, status quo THIS season is unacceptable.  He can’t win 7-8 games (or less), and expect to be given a pass by new ownership.  The NFL stands for Not For Long, so you have to show results, or be shown the door.  4 years is plenty of time, Snyder or not, to show results.

I don’t want to give anyone PTSD, but I wonder how things would’ve gone, if Snyder weren’t selling the team.  Would he have fired Ron after last year?  I imagine that he would’ve been pissed at the ending to last season, and Ron’s embarrassing gaffe about not knowing the team would be eliminated from the playoffs if they lost to the Browns, especially after that horrific Carson Wentz performance.  I would wager that Rivera would’ve gotten fired after Week 18, but thankfully we’ll never know.

Snyder tended to give veteran coaches he respected longer leashes, so doubt he would have fired Rivera after 3 years. Plus, Ron gave the team a level of respectability that Snyder would have seen as a shield of sorts during all the drama and investigations, which would have provided him an additional reason/rationalization not to fire him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

I just don’t understand in what context this coming season Rivera could be considered to have done a great job and yet it doesn’t show on the W/L record. He’s the HC and has final say on the roster—so it’s his staff, his players, his vision. Not even sure how someone in that position could do a good job and not have it show on the field 

is it really?  It’s been documented Dan meddled in every aspect including draft picks and trades. So it really all his?   And you can’t help injuries.  Alex S and Fitz both might have been an answer but they got injured.  He kept the team competitive with 4th string QBs.   He like all people have their faults.  I prefer to give him a little benifit of the doubt.  And the sale happened too late to ignore the dan impact.  

We will see.  In fact they may have already decided to replace the entire staff.  Time will tell.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Isn't this his 4th year? Are you saying don't fire Ron in middle of the season and let him play out this year? If so, then, yes that would be ideal way to evaluate not just Ron but rest of the coaches as well. 

Ron has made the decision, so far, to go with Howell (staying with QB thread theme here lol) so Howell will either make or break Ron. I am all in for Howell to be our next franchise guy. He has the tools. :) 

Edited by zCommander

41 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Isn't this his 4th year? Are you saying don't fire Ron in middle of the season and let him play out this year? If so, then, yes that would be ideal way to evaluate not just Ron but rest of the coaches as well. 

Ron has made the decision, so far, to go with Howell (staying with QB thread theme here lol) so Howell will either make or break Ron. I am all in for Howell to be our next franchise guy. He has the tools. :) 

The other guy was saying normally Rivera wouldn’t have gotten a 4th year…I was saying given the context and circumstances of the last 3 years, giving him a 4th year seems more than appropriate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, samy316 said:

Rivera has a 22-27-1 record as an HC here after 3 seasons.  VERY few coaches are brought back for a 4th season with a record like that. You can excuse some of this due to who the owner was prior to this coming season, but you can’t excuse the terrible job he’s done at finding a QB, and his terrible moves at O-Line.  Rivera gets no benefit of the doubt this season.  He has to win and make the postseason for him to keep his job.  He only has 3 winning season as a coach in 12 seasons overall.  He now has the squad that he has envisioned.  No more excuses now.

It’s time to make that leap this year, or it’s over for him.  Now that we have a competent owner, we can do a LOT better than Rivera as an HC IF this turns out to be another year without a postseason appearance.

Agree with all of this.

Bottom line: Harris has made it clear that he wants the absolute best people in every department - the FO, the coaching staff, etc.   I don't know anyone with a real football I.Q. that can argue with a straight face that Ron and his hand-picked FO are the absolute cream of the crop.  Now, are they the worst?  Of course not.  They're maybe a notch or two above mediocre.  But they aren't even the best in their division. They're the worst.  It takes a gargantuan leap of faith to see that Ron and his crew can  surpass the best of the NFL to win a SB; organizations like the Chiefs, Bills, Eagles, 49ers are just on another level that goes beyond simply having a franchise QB.

There's no reason to retain any of them, IMO.  You're just wasting valuable time and career years of guys like Terry M. and Jon Allen, not to mention years off of the fanbase's lives.  In order to become everything Harris wants us to be, we gotta clean house at the end of the year.  If you want to keep hovering around being a fringe playoff team and a team that can sometimes win a playoff game, you keep the same crew in place.  You want better?  You want sustained greatness and championships?  You gotta move on.  

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

That’s an amazingly small amount of context you provided lol…

Yeah for real. Gruden had an above average QB in Cousins for three of those seasons and a league average one in Smith for half of another.

You put 2015-2017 Cousins on this team and we have a legit shot at the NFC championship game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, djpapeleta360 said:

Where are the mods when you need them. I thought this was a qb thread. I want to know how Howell and the other qbs are doing during training camp.

Even Chris Russell has been raving about him so he must be doing well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Even Chris Russell has been raving about him so he must be doing well.

I trust Russell on the topic to some extent because he seems balanced on it.  And lol, he often goes to an extreme to one side or another in most subjects but not this one.

Its funny to hear him debate Sheehan.  Sheehan doesn't disguise his predispositions well which among them is maybe Brissett should be the starter and he seems to want to hear that Brissett has outplayed Howell.  Russell goes Howell clearly outplayed Brissett so far.

Among Russell takes about Howell over minicamp was he will throw his share of picks and his accuracy can dissappear in stretches but he also can get hot and make some killer throws. 

As to camp, Russell is high on Howell's velocity.  Best he's seen on that front since RG3.  He seemed to allude that Haskins had good velocity but lacked accuracy.  (I can vouch for that from my own camp experiences).  And he finds Howell more accurate than RG3.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 1:39 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Terry talk now on 106.7, pumping up the idea of it should help a lot to have this new beginning.  Makes me think it could be an X factor.

For me, the O line is a concern but not my #1 concern.  The thing I hate is the schedule.  I'd love to have the 2022 schedule back.  :ols: 

I do think though we win the first two games so the optimism will be sky high initially.

If our defense plays the way it should then no team scares me. We should beat up opposing offensive lines and create turnovers given all of the 1st round selections on our defense. No excuses this year....everyone is playing/coaching for their jobs.

Just now, kingdaddy said:

If our defense plays the way it should then no team scares me. We should beat up opposing offensive lines and create turnovers given all of the 1st round selections on our defense. No excuses this year....everyone is playing/coaching for their jobs.

And Howell is gonna be good.....can't wait to see him in the new offense.

@Conn I believe Rivera is getting older and more tired and can't hack it the same. It's a lot of guessing on my side but I trust my gut. 

Bienemy already should have been given a head coaching job. If he doesn't have a laid out path for him to do so here I believe he will leave like the last two offensive virtuosos that have left Ashburn. 

I can see your opinion being a logical conclusion but I don't think they are going to move on from Bienemy unless he has a massive failure this year, which he will not. Imo he will do so well that Rivera will be viewed as redundant. However he is much more valuable to the team than you and others have claimed.

He has kept this ship right through many unorthodox and difficult seasons and has built a formidable squad of tough guys with their heads on straight. Not perfect but tons of potential. He should stick around and keep doing that. 

Edit: sorry should be in a different thread. I have faith in chicken tender our QB savior

Edited by XxSpearheadxX

3 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Let’s take the Ron hate to the appropriate thread.

This is the QB thread. This is where your crow will be served after the season. 😆

Listen to this man! Let’s keep this focused around the QB position - it’s fine to speculate what the wider impact and dependancies there might be so it’s not like you can only talk about the QB in this thread, but the conversation should be focused around the position.

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

I hope they can bring in a better QB3 option. 

Im not sure they could get much worse. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1