Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

54 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

Yeah you never heard things like "throwing darts"  or "perfect deep balls"  when Taylor was here.  You didn't really hear those things with Wentz either.   I think this is going to be a fun year!  

TH’s level of talent is a backup XFL QB.  He’s terrible.  Always was and always will be.  Wentz has the yips. He did hit some beautiful passes, separated by throwing swing passes into the dirt.

37 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I could be wrong, but from memory, the biggest issue with Wentz during camp last season was his lack of grasp of the offense. Wentz could always chuck the ball, but what we are hearing about Howell as far as being in command, making reads, knowing where and when to throw the ball feels like night & day from last season and Wentz.

No, the biggest issue was his accuracy was so inconsistent he would throw the ball and it could end up either in Montana or Florida.  He was all over the map with ball placement.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

No, the biggest issue was his accuracy was so inconsistent he would throw the ball and it could end up either in Montana or Florida.  He was all over the map with ball placement.  

That's generally what we get when we end up with EX Philly QB's. At least all of them since Jurgensen. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

That's generally what we get when we end up with EX Philly QB's. At least all of them since Jurgensen. 

If memory serves, McNugget’s issue wasn’t accuracy so much as being completely clueless as to where to go with the ball and being uninterested in learning. 

but he made a super cool video of him working out in the ocean to try and convince teams he wasn’t a washed up putz, so there’s that. 

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

TH’s level of talent is a backup XFL QB.  He’s terrible.  Always was and always will be.  Wentz has the yips. He did hit some beautiful passes, separated by throwing swing passes into the dirt.

Wentz played pretty well, until that first Eagles game, when he got sacked 7 times in the first half. That kinda broke him for the rest of the year.

50 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Wentz played pretty well, until that first Eagles game, when he got sacked 7 times in the first half. That kinda broke him for the rest of the year.

The writing was on the wall the first of the Detroit game. They came after us, Wentz looked like a rabbit in the headlights and we couldn't do anything on offense. Detroit went in at the half up big.  They had 5 sacks that first half. Second half they sat back in zone protecting that lead and Wentz carved them up and at the end the score looked respectable.

But the book was out that we/Wentz couldn't handle pressure and he was a sitting duck in the pocket. The Eagles came in next week and followed the blueprint.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, MartinC said:

The writing was on the wall the first of the Detroit game. They came after us, Wentz looked like a rabbit in the headlights and we couldn't do anything on offense. Detroit went in at the half up big.  They had 5 sacks that first half. Second half they sat back in zone protecting that lead and Wentz carved them up and at the end the score looked respectable.

But the book was out that we/Wentz couldn't handle pressure and he was a sitting duck in the pocket. The Eagles came in next week and followed the blueprint.

That's a good point. Wild getting sacked 12 times in the first half over 2 games. Hard for anyone to succeed like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Yeah I'd say so.

Wentz during his best year in Philly was throwing far more off platform than now, and in hindsight that was a fluke year accuracy wise. Compare it to last season, where if he didn't set his feet in a super wide platform then that pass was missing the mark. Once it became obvious that blitzing prevented him from either getting into his wide stance, or his wide stance made it impossible to escape pressure then that was it. He's done in the league.

• Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Yeah I'd say so.

Wentz during his best year in Philly was throwing far more off platform than now, and in hindsight that was a fluke year accuracy wise. Compare it to last season, where if he didn't set his feet in a super wide platform then that pass was missing the mark. Once it became obvious that blitzing prevented him from either getting into his wide stance, or his wide stance made it impossible to escape pressure then that was it. He's done in the league.

That year in PHI he had unassailable confidence. He was a hero. He WAS the franchise. After Foles won the SB and they drafted Hurts he was never ever the same. I’ve rarely seen a player who needed a sports psychologist more than Wentz, but to be honest most people would not be the exact same guy after all that.

He thought he was going to play his whole career in Philly, retire a hero, own that city for life. He went from big man on campus at South Dakota or whatever to being traded up for and instantly embraced as a future superstar in Philly, then watched it all dry up, crack apart, and fall away as others lived the legacy he thought was going to be his. It’s actually kind of a sad story for a guy who seems like a nice dude. At least he has generational wealth for his family to compensate him, so you can’t feel too bad. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, MartinC said:

That was also the game Rouiller went down and we had literally nobody to play center.  I think Schweitzer also went down that game.  Who was the backup center.  

Scott Turner’s inability to adjust except for running the ball more combined with the line not being able to block + Wentz not being able to get the ball out quickly = disaster. 

35 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

If Howell plays well, not a chance you disrupt the mojo by firing anyone.

Bigger challenge might be keeping EB.  If he plays well enough to save Ron’s job and earn him an extension (which is what would happen) then keeping EB would be hard.  He would be out of Reid’s shadow.  And probably deserving s HC gig.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Shocking, Washington was top 8 in number pass attempts with use of RPO: 

820F8F20-0B0C-41AC-A20B-A58745D909F8.thumb.png.7e216604b94a64ece4db9ffe9eb51797.png

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/advanced.htm

There are different types of options plays. Could be hand off or throw the quick slant.

I know they called it for awhile but Heinicke never ran even when it probably should have. So may have just never felt like we called it much?

I liked drafting Sam, thought he was fine even as second round choice for a qb hungry team and believe he has a pretty good ceiling if "all goes well" in his support and  development.

But there are significant "ifs" in there.

And it always makes me a little unsure of potential qb talent when I hear well meaning teammates citing things like good leadership/calmness/presence etc. rather than throwing the ball, reading defenses, or making great decisions etc.

I'm still in "positive upside" mode on Sam though, until proven otherwise in games.

But then there's also the o-line....😐

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I wish I had contact information for them.  I have some ocean front property in Idaho I'm trying to offload.  Good price.  

saw another tweet I didn’t have the stomach to post where a well-meaning idiot sincerely posed the question “should we have signed Heinicke for $10M over Brissett for $8M? He proved he can come in and win games!” 

But if I make a hobby of posting bad twitter opinions here I run the risk of over-saturating the bad opinion market on ES and ruining the supply/demand ratio for everybody. I didn’t want to do that to our resident bad opinion peddlers, they have to make a living, after all

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

saw another tweet I didn’t have the stomach to post where a well-meaning idiot sincerely posed the question “should we have signed Heinicke for $10M over Brissett for $8M? He proved he can come in and win games!” 

threw-up-in-my-mouth.webp.61e02ed2bafccc1f83be6c5ed1b3a81d.webp

I'd say I am excited to play against him when we get to go against ATL but I'm pretty sure even if Dez is injured TH will magic up a doctors note instead of playing against our D.

• Haha 1