Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

There was talk.

It’s not actually a 160M deal. The key to looking at contracts is finding out how many years in that there is an “out” and guaranteed money.

Jones deal is essentially 2 years $82M but realistically it’s 3 years 82 mil. If they got out after two years it’s an 18M dead cap hit.

If they wait until after 3 the 4th year is only a $9M hit. 

So you could say it’s 3 years, 82M. Essentially $27.3M/year.

Year 2 cap hit is $45M. They can take that hit or they can extend and add more guaranteed cash to lessen that hit and push it out. 

Well according to the notes

12M of 2025 salary fully guarantees in March 2024

So once that triggers the 3rd year switches to 30 million dead if they cut.   I agree he won't see year 4, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a 3yr, 112.5mill deal unless they take some pain year 3.

So if argue is 37.5 mill per year over 3 years.  Since the won't cut year 2, they would trigger the 12 mill and it could be 94 mill over 3 or 31.3 mill per I suppose. 

Edited by CommDownMan

1 minute ago, CommDownMan said:

Well according to the notes

12M of 2025 salary fully guarantees in March 2024

So once that triggers the 3rd year switches to 30 million dead if they cut.   I agree he won't see year 4, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a 3yr, 112.5mill deal unless they take some pain year 3.

Even in that case, they are paying their starting QB about the same as the Saints are paying Carr. $37M or so. 

Ultimately, he's about a third of what some of these other QBs are asking for and he made the playoffs and won a game.

Would Jones be as valuable to someone else? Probably not. But if you're the Giants, at this point, why risk it?

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Even in that case, they are paying their starting QB about the same as the Saints are paying Carr. $37M or so. 

Ultimately, he's about a third of what some of these other QBs are asking for and he made the playoffs and won a game.

Would Jones be as valuable to someone else? Probably not. But if you're the Giants, at this point, why risk it?

They likely had to keep him,  won't argue that.   But I don't see them winning deep playoff games with the resulting team around him.   It's a weird position to be in and as teams make these decisions I think there isn't always a good answer. 

Edit:  I also question the team the saints will have around carr.

Edited by CommDownMan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CommDownMan said:

They likely had to keep him,  won't argue that.   But I don't see them winning deep playoff games with the resulting team around him.   It's a weird position to be in and as teams make these decisions I think there isn't always a good answer. 

All fair statements. And I share similar concerns. 

35 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

Saints are still 25mil over the cap as well, so they’ll have some moves to make in the next couple of days.

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Saints are still 25mil over the cap as well, so they’ll have some moves to make in the next couple of days.

The Saints are playing an interesting game.  Although their division is so much worse, that the 37 mill QB argument may be more justified.  Although the same deep playoff run doubt remains. 

Carr's cap hit this year is only $7mil:

2023: $7.2 mil

2024: $35.7 mil

2025: $45.7 mil

2026: $55.7 mil

2027: $5.7 mil

Salary cap is essentially meaningless.... though Saints will eventually pay for it down the line. 

3 hours ago, Mooka said:

Carr's cap hit this year is only $7mil:

2023: $7.2 mil

2024: $35.7 mil

2025: $45.7 mil

2026: $55.7 mil

2027: $5.7 mil

Salary cap is essentially meaningless.... though Saints will eventually pay for it down the line. 

They were 7-10 last year, are still 25 mill over the cap, don't have a 1st round pick.  They have a few shiny toys, but they are paying for it right now to a degree.  Carr could help them win in a terrible division, but that's a pretty low bar.

Just now, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I brought my popcorn and Coke and pulled up the recliner ready for some entertainment, and nothing lol...

It's Sunday, people are feeling chill, most happy about the Payne signing, if it goes south, it feels like a Monday angst conversation.  :D

• Haha 1

IMO the best thing to happen for NFC East fans was for Daniel Jones to play just well enough to land a deal like this. Yes they can maneuver the cap and restructure but as we found out here restructuring is just kicking the can down the road. Eventually they will pay for giving that much money to a slightly above QB.  

As for Payne I'm just nervous at giving so much cap room to 2 DTs. That too will limit their ability to build a team.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

IMO the best thing to happen for NFC East fans was for Daniel Jones to play just well enough to land a deal like this. Yes they can maneuver the cap and restructure but as we found out here restructuring is just kicking the can down the road. Eventually they will pay for giving that much money to a slightly above QB.  

As for Payne I'm just nervous at giving so much cap room to 2 DTs. That too will limit their ability to build a team.  

no problem, we're paying our QB peanuts...its a good plan, same model the Eagles followed with Hurts, now we need to coach up Howell and let everyone else eat.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1