Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, wit33 said:

Only a few series, but it was nice to have a tall QB again. 

Anyone believe there’s any chance Wentz plays himself into receiving his $28mil next year? I do t think so, but slightly worried. 

If he plays really well and they win at least one playoff game.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I am in the minority but I think it’s a lock Wentz comes back on a restructured deal, absent an NFC championship game appearance.  

They need to have Wentz as the floor for QB next year.  And don’t tell me TH and Wentz have the same floor.  They don’t.  If you try to make that argument, you’re wrong.  

They aren’t cutting Wentz, re-sighing TH and riding with TH and Howell and hoping they could land Carr, Jimmy or Aaron.  Because if they don’t, they have a top 5 WR group and no way to get them the ball. 

I think they might go after those guys but there is no guarantee they get one.  So… I think Wentz is back at least for next year in a restructured deal.  If they can get Carr also, they might be able to do it.  

If they can't make a big splash at QB, I think Wentz will be back at a reduced rate. I could actually see all three being back next season.

I think Wentz would get 10 to 12 million. TH would get 5 to 8 million. I think TH may get a similar offer from a couple teams. The cardinals will need a Qb at beginning of next season I could see him signing there.

I dont have any idea who else. Would want Wentz. Maybe the Jets or Saints would bring him in. I don't think Wentz will have a alot of other options.

Edited by Redskins 2021

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Anyone believe there’s any chance Wentz plays himself into receiving his $28mil next year? I do t think so, but slightly worried. 

I think there is a chance Wentz plays his way back onto the team next year, just not at 28 per.  If the offense shows improvement over the next 2 weeks, skins could restructure Wentz if he was willing, or cut him and outbid other suitors.  Don't think he'd get much more than 10 mil per on open market if we are the 3rd team to cut bait with him.  

Just now, Redskins 2021 said:

If they can't make a big splash I think Wentz will be back at a reduced rate. I could actually see all three being back next season.

They’re going to have to deal with Carson before FA. 

TH should not be back. I’d argue he shouldn’t be in the league.  But I think some jabroni GM is going to think he’s as good as Trubisky, Dalton, Bridgewater and give him a top-end backup/bridge QB contract.  About $15M I’ve 2 years, half guaranteed.

As long as we don’t pay him, I hope somebody else does. 

Just now, KillBill26 said:

I think there is a chance Wentz plays his way back onto the team next year, just not at 28 per.  If the offense shows improvement over the next 2 weeks, skins could restructure Wentz if he was willing, or cut him and outbid other suitors.  Don't think he'd get much more than 10 mil per on open market if we are the 3rd team to cut bait with him.  

If they make the playoffs, which they really could, and win a game, which they also could, that math changes.  

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Wentz would backup carr.

Again, this is assuming Wentz doesn’t catch fire over the next two games and win a playoff game.  If that happens, clearly he’s coming back and clearly he’s the starter.

Not a good idea at all. With the game on the line Carr throws a game ending INT. He is so up and down and not clutch at times. Rather just save the money and add to the OL instead. That is a priority. With a better OL Wentz can stand in the pocket longer and can throw down the field with Dotson and Terry streaking towards the end zone. 

Even if he doesn't catch on fire he is still the better option. Another QB will need to learn the Turner system and that can also hold your team back when we are so close - seems like I say this every year lol but this year after the D turned around and BRob back it is more closer than far. Dotson was balling too and might even be rookie of the year if he gets 2 or 3 more TDs. 

Keep building around Wentz but Howell has to be the backup at least. 

Edited by zCommander
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Wentz is a free agent after this season we dont owe him anythjng

2 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Wentz is a free agent after this season we dont owe him anythjng

I agree with that we have to see how the next two games go.The 28 million is not happening but at a reduced rate we have to look at him. Who else can we realistically get. Next two weeks are huge for Wentz they will make or break him in Washington. I can see Wentz getting a one year with Howell moving up to back up Qb.

Edited by Redskins 2021

Taylor is a great story. 

But it's too hard to score with him, especially with the weapons we have.

I get the move. Ya gotta see what you have in Carson, for better or worse.

I am surprisingly optimistic. 

My two cents:

If Wentz plays decent to good, he's coming back next year at 28 mil. 

Howell will be the backup.

The time will let Taylor move on.

If Wentz stinks, I have no idea what happens. Whoever you bring in will be in year one of an offense. That's why Ron so desperately wants Carson to do well. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

I'd be shocked if Taylor starts.  As far as defending Heinicke and not announcing a starter yet is no brainer and very Ron.  

A.  He's talked about not liiking to give away the starter when there is some ambiguity to make the opponent prepare for both

B.  If you are poised to bench Heinicke you don't kick him right before you do it, especially when he's a nice dude and popular in the locker room, you send him off by saying some nice things.  In short, you don't go hey he sucked its on him and then bench him.  That's a bitter way for Ron to do it and not his style

Edited by Skinsinparadise

12 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Which out for new orleans going after Carr.  I was reading the head coach had a relationship with him in past.

Money trumps familiarity 9 times out of 10.

Assuming Carr is made available.

If past is indeed prologue one thing that history has proved is that Bezos usually gets what he wants.

Only questions remaining:

1. Will Dan sell to Bezos if he is the highest bidder?

2. Will the sale be finalized in time for free agency?

3. Would the newly installed Bezos brain trust make Carr their top priority?

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

I never was part of the Heinicke hive.  I thought he was a decent backup and still do.   I don't think he played good during the six game stretch he went 5-1 and I don't think he has played particularly bad the last three when we have gone 0-2-1.   He is who he is-- a decent backup.  I think people equate QB performance too much with win loss records.  For example Cousins is arguably having his worst season with Minnesota since his first year.   You see it clearly in the advanced stats and his PFF grade.  Yet Minnesota is winning and the perception of him is up.   They are winning because their defense improved a lot and because they are having unsustainable success in close games (11-0)

My take is Heincke was never that good and he really hasn't been that bad the past three weeks.   For the most part he has been the same player he was last year, a player you can win with, but not a player that generates the wins.  How the defense plays and our success in close games has a lot to do with both the good and bad stretches.

I tend to think neither Wentz nor Heincke are long term answers, though either could be short term one season fill ins.

Edited by philibusters
  • Like 2

Keim

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35304641/nfl-week-16-takeaways-2022-big-questions-every-game

Commanders

What to know: Washington's offense moved the ball under quarterback Taylor Heinicke, but the red zone issues and turnovers over the past three games have killed them. That's why Carson Wentz replaced Heinicke on Saturday, and it's why the Commanders likely will stick with Wentz over the final two games. The 49ers blitzed Wentz often, but he made quicker decisions and knew where to go with the ball. If he is indeed more comfortable, his arm can open up the field for a Commanders offense needing a jolt.

• Like 4

Agree with Keim. Did TH win games with his moxie that Wentz would never? Yes. Is our offense severely limited with TH because of his lack of arm strength? Yes.  

I don't think we win another game with TH. We need to hope that Wentz learned the offense better after sitting for most of the season. When he came in he actually seemed very comfortable (though San Fran was playing soft coverage). 

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, philibusters said:

I never was part of the Heinicke hive.  I thought he was a decent backup and still do.   I don't think he played good during the six game stretch he went 5-1 and I don't think he has played particularly bad the last three when we have gone 0-2-1.   He is who he is-- a decent backup.  I think people equate QB performance too much with win loss records.  For example Cousins is arguably having his worst season with Minnesota since his first year.   You see it clearly in the advanced stats and his PFF grade.  Yet Minnesota is winning and the perception of him is up.   They are winning because their defense improved a lot and because they are having unsustainable success in close games (11-0)

My take is Heincke was never that good and he really hasn't been that bad the past three weeks.   For the most part he has been the same player he was last year, a player you can win with, but not a player that generates the wins.  How the defense plays and our success in close games has a lot to do with both the good and bad stretches.

Agree with most of this.  

Viking defense though is borderline atrocious.  Ranked 2nd to last.  For the 2nd half of season, if i recall the only Qb to struggle against them is Heinicke, the others have lit them up, I believe all with 300 plus yards passing., Heinicke was about 150 yards, 53% completion rate.

It's part of the reason that if we make the playoffs most of us are clamoring for the Vikings.    For an off year, Kirk would be record setting for this franchise, on pace for over 4500 yards and 30 plus TDs.   The Vkings have been ekeing close wins.

In the mix of his meh to bad play, Heinicke has had spurts in the last few games where he played well.  But IMO all three games were disasters by him.  for this reason.

A. Heinicke's version of playing well which happens in spurts, doesn't result in points.  He struggles in the red zone. And his game goes south for a large chunk of these games

B.  If you struggle to score points, you can't be a turnover machine

Good back up IMO.  But he's not IMO an NFL starter and i don't think its that close. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I agree with you that QB record is generally a very faulty stat, that lacks context, nuance, etc.

For TH, he’s always been pretty bad a few really good plays/moments aside, overall pretty bad.  The difference over the last several games is he’s turning it over in places you can’t turn it over and the D hasn’t been as good as it was during the win streak.

But as for the Vikings, their defense is absolutely god awful - if anything they are the anchor of that team.  We are practically the only team in months that hasn’t moved the ball at will and scored on them.  Their OL has also been beat up.  I’d argue Cousins is having perhaps his best season ever, stats be damned.  Every single game aside from that Dallas game that I’ve watched, he’s been dealing and willing to get blasted for the sake of firing lasers.  Dude deserves all the credit he’s been getting.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

11 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’d argue Cousins is having perhaps his best season ever, stats be damned.  

Not to turn this into an anger venting session for the small group of people here who hate Kirk. You clearly not one of those haters.   

But just focusing on the his stats be damned line here.  I can't wait until we have a QB, who throws for over 4500 yards, 30 TDs, and we deem that as an off year, stats be damned situation.  

• Like 3