Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

I am trying to think of a supreme QB athlete who has won a S.B. and that is the goal. I can think of many processors that are not super athletes. Brady, Stratford, Mahomes, Manning's, Foles, Rogers, Roethlisberger........ No winners that I can find?  He does not have to be a super athlete for me, and does not have to be a super runner. A RB has a short life in the NFL, why draft a hybird RB/QB? His career is going to be shorter most likely if you use him that way. 

Steve Young? Patrick MaHomes? Russell Wilson?  Supreme athletes indeed!  And the list is long of almost “winners” if your definition of winner equates to Super Bowl or bust.  

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Let’s not confuse physical fitness with athleticism.  

I know it was mostly a joke with subtle undertones of truth.

It's kind of a cautionary tale per se that looking at guys like sammis Reyes on paper and shirtless can be quite deceiving because no matter how athletic someone is it always boils down to how well they play football.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, redskinss said:

I know it was mostly a joke with subtle undertones of truth.

It's kind of a cautionary tale per se that looking at guys like sammis Reyes on paper and shirtless can be quite deceiving because no matter how athletic someone is it always boils down to how well they play football.

And how much they want to win. All players say it, only some are driven to the extreme to do it, like Mahomes for example. It’s not just talent. It’s that inner drive to win and be the best, all elite athletes need to have that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

So one problem I have with the "hits ceiling faster with somewhat lower but still good ceiling and higher floor" thing is that won't get you any discounts on the 2nd contract.

You see it all over the league, where teams have a perfectly GOOD QB, but also a guy who isn't putting the team on their back for 20 games a year.

I mean shoot, we had people in here a few weeks back going after Josh Allen bc he couldn't single handedly will the Bills to not miss a field goal wide right.

How much worse would it be if you have a guy like Derek Carr or Kyler Murray.   You gotta pay them BIG bucks or they will bail on you for someone who will pay them, but they also aren't winning you the SB on their own.  You need a team around them, but their 40M+/year contract is gonna kill your cap.

That's a no from me dawg, give me higher ceiling pick.  Obviously if you have to choose between *gestures at the disaster our QB position has been for 30 years* and say, Kyler Murray/Derek Carr/Trevor Lawrence, you take the latter.  But if you're consciously choosing the lower ceiling guy who might have a shorter career....I dunno man, I question that judgment pretty hard.

Definitely agree. In the moment, it’s nice to have an average starting QB and maybe be competing for playoffs but ultimately you need to pay that QB an exorbitant amount and then be perfect in building the roster (or have a transcendent HC/OC) to have a shot. 

Without trading additional picks, it’s better to try and find an elite QB, even if he busts, vs a solid one.

Edited by seantaylor=god
Typo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

Just sit and take one of the QB's. I didn't sit through that garbage season to not end up with one of the top guys. 

I’m throwing McCarthy in the mix with Daniels and Maye now, so for me as long as we pick top 4 we’re getting a real viable QB option.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Translation:

OTHER teams are telling Jeremy Fowler that THEY are calling WAS, and WAS hasn't disconnected the phone the second they mention they are interested in a trade up to 2.

Completely unrelated side story:

My ex-boss at a crim defense firm I'm not at anymore, when getting calls for like speeding tickets or whatever, would pick up the phone, introduce himself, ask what they were charged with and what happened, then put himself on mute, and go back to watching soccer on tv.  When the people finally stopped talking he'd be like "alright we can take of that for you it'll cost whatever $$$s and we're the best attorneys in the county for these cases.  Do you want to retain?"  And then if they did he'd punt them to a paralegal or if not he'd tell them to just give us a call back whenever they were ready to hire.

What was I talking about again?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’m throwing McCarthy in the mix with Daniels and Maye now, so for me as long as we pick top 4 we’re getting a real viable QB option.

Yes we are all quite aware that you do. You post this opinion in volume. Try to limit yourself to only 2-3 more times today, ok?

Many of us - I hope most of us - disagree with you. We just don't post with your frequency 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Definitely agree. In the moment, it’s nice to have an average starting QB and maybe be competing for playoffs but ultimately you need to pay that QB an exorbitant amount and then be perfect in building the roster (or have a transcendent HC/OC) to have a shot. 

Without trading additional picks, it’s better to try and find an elite QB, even if he busts, vs a solid one.

The line between solid and elite is a lot more blurry than what most people think though.  I notice that QB perception is heavily influenced by Q Rating swings.  Two years ago Joe Burrow was the second best QB in the league and people thought he was clearly better than Allen, and way better than Jackson.  Now Allen and Jackson are clearly ahead of him, etc.  two years ago Jalen Hurts was an overachieving albatross contract, then the next year he's elite and the best QB in the conference, then this year he's back to an albatross contract.  Last year that was Dak, then this year he's the MVP runner up.  The swings with Russell Wilson have been even more wild.

The truth is there are like 12 QBs in the NFL capable of playing at an MVP level in any given season, and there is far less separation between them than people recognize.  Their level of performance is so heavily dependent on team and health contingencies, that most swing back and forth between hero and goat on an almost yearly basis, and the only ones who don't swing so wildly are the ones on elite teams with elite stability who are also lucky with their health.

If you get one of those 12 peers, or someone with the talent to become one and then develop him, then you're set.  You will be able to compete at the highest level of the sport.  That's the opportunity Drake Maye gives us.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

Yes we are all quite aware that you do. You post this opinion in volume. Try to limit yourself to only 2-3 more times today, ok?

Many of us - I hope most of us - disagree with you. We just don't post with your frequency 

I’m going out in an hours time for the night, so this is me done for today 👍

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Just sit and take one of the QB's. I didn't sit through that garbage season to not end up with one of the top guys. 

Agree. There will be a zillion rumors because heck the draft is boring for the media if they don’t create narratives. But the large majority of narratives point to them staying at 2. I’d be shocked if they don’t 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

And how much they want to win. All players say it, only some are driven to the extreme to do it, like Mahomes for example. It’s not just talent. It’s that inner drive to win and be the best, all elite athletes need to have that.

[Warning: long post/article combo ahead, sorry]

I really think folks underestimate this drive to be the best as a factor in success of 'elites' like Mahomes, Brady, Manning etc. Those guys live football 24/7, always looking for ways to be better.

If the Commanders really are leaning Daniels (skeptical, where would that info come from with what has been a leak-proof GMAP operation so far), I think those traits, the kinds of things discussed in the November article below, are a big part of the reason.

Daniels' 2023 season didn't happen by accident, it was no fluke. The kid worked his butt off, *and* explicitly led his teammates to improving in the process. Seems like some people want to credit a big chunk of Daniels' success to the talent around him, when the exact opposite appears to be true: Daniels made everyone better.

Daniels' frame, and tendency to run vs pass outside the pocket, still scare me too much to root for Commanders taking him at #2, but I'd also feel a lot more comfortable with Maye and his various warts if we saw articles/comments like this about him, instead of hearing about/ seeing him playing golf, or hunting, or hanging out at bb games.

Daniels wants to be great, and it shows in his crazy work ethic - and the results. That's the kind of QB I want. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nola.com/sports/lsu/lsu-qb-jayden-daniels-transformed-into-heisman-contender/article_dafe6048-7932-11ee-bb05-572fcd77fa53.amp.html

Behind the scenes of LSU QB Jayden Daniels' transformation into a Heisman contender

BY WILSON ALEXANDER | Staff writer

Nov 3, 2023

Jayden Daniels woke up at 5 a.m., as he does every other weekday, and drove to LSU’s facility before the sun rose. Wearing designer sweatpants and a hoodie, Daniels turned on a projector in the quarterback room to watch third-down clips from Alabama’s game against Tennessee. He sat there for an hour last Wednesday, alone with a notepad and pen, the only light coming from the screen as he maintained his routine.

Daniels had asked for extended access to the building when he came back to school, and he started watching film at 5:30 a.m. the week before LSU's season opener against Florida State, something he did not do last year. He has ever since, sometimes by himself and other days with receivers. Daniels likes the calm quiet of an early morning.

“I don't have to worry about any other distractions,” Daniels said. “I'm pretty much the only one in the building at the time. It's me, myself and my thoughts.”

The film sessions are one way Daniels turned himself into a Heisman Trophy contender as No. 14 LSU gets set to play at No. 8 Alabama, where another prolific game Saturday night could give LSU control of the SEC West and cement Daniels as a front-runner for the award. He also followed a detailed offseason plan, worked with his personal quarterbacks coach in California and used virtual-reality training, overhauling his preparation.

More than anything, the work has improved Daniels’ ability as a downfield passer. He averaged a career-low 7.5 yards per attempt last season. And when he did take deep shots, he completed 38.1% of his 20-plus-yard attempts for 517 yards and five touchdowns with no interceptions, according to Pro Football Focus.

This year, Daniels has completed 66.7% of them for 938 yards with a 15-to-0 touchdown-to-interception ratio, per PFF. He has averaged a career-high 11.5 yards per attempt, making him the best deep-ball passer in the nation to this point. It helps that Daniels has two elite receivers, and he’s throwing to them with touch, anticipation and accuracy.

“He's made some throws where he gets hit in the mouth this year and it's just throwing strikes down the field,” Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy said. “He's making a lot more NFL-type throws under duress and down the field than we've seen in the past.”

Take the Ole Miss game on Sept. 30, when Daniels shined in a 55-49 loss. Daniels and Nabers had worked all week on an inside post. Nabers had an option to bend the route over the middle or sprint up the seam, depending on the coverage. They practiced it over and over, trying to perfect a concept they never connected on as much as they wanted to last season.

Midway through the second quarter, Nabers lined up on one side with three receivers bunched to the right. Daniels scanned the field while tight end Mason Taylor motioned across the formation, giving him an indication of the coverage. He recognized Cover 3, and as soon as he reached the top of his drop, Daniels threw deep over the middle.

The ball left his hand a split second before Daniels got crushed by defensive end Cedric Johnson. When he released the throw, Nabers had not turned his head around or started bending the route in front of a deep safety. Even with pressure up the middle, Daniels fit the ball over a linebacker and hit Nabers in stride for a 39-yard gain.

“He's already throwing the ball before the dude even has his foot in the ground to break, and as soon as he looks, the ball is right on him,” said Taylor Kelly, Daniels’ personal coach at 3DQB. “That's the jump that you have to have — and it has to be every single time — to be where he's at. That's the control. That's the confidence. That's all the work that he's put in the last two years.”

•••

After LSU lost the SEC championship game last season, Daniels spent a couple weeks considering his future. He had thrown for 2,913 yards with 17 touchdowns and three interceptions while rushing for 885 yards in his first season after transferring from Arizona State. But NFL teams thought he was hesitant.

Daniels believed he could be a first-round pick. When he met with LSU coach Brian Kelly, he asked, “What do y'all see, and what can we do?”

LSU presented a plan for Daniels’ weight, leadership and technical development that identified what he needed to improve and how he would get there. Charted to the day on a spreadsheet, the offseason plan was devised by quarterbacks coach Joe Sloan, offensive analyst Dean Petzing and Daniels.

The scheme mixed long-term goals with incremental checkpoints set along the way. Daniels needed to gain 15 pounds, which worked out to about 3 pounds a month. He wanted to throw for 4,000 yards. Broken down, that only meant three or four more deep completions per game.

It was all about improvement in the margins. He had to make the small but more difficult leap from good to great.

“I don't want to come back and be the same player,” Daniels said. “If that was the case, I might as well have left last year.”

As the offseason started, Daniels watched film on his own and with coaches when rules allowed. He evaluated all the deep balls and sacks, as well as full games from his first season at LSU. For instance, Daniels compared when he threw for 80 yards against Auburn to 349 yards and three touchdowns two weeks later at Florida. He had to understand his strengths and address his weaknesses.

“He lived in this building watching film and learning the offense,” Kelly said. “He knows it so well that when I'm sitting in those meetings, it's amazing the progression that he has made relative to understanding all the nuances of the offense. That's on him. He did that.”

Daniels took what he learned into LSU’s walk-through room and then onto the field. Occasionally during the offseason, he asked Nabers and the other receivers to throw when they had nothing else happening on a Friday or Saturday night. Once, they worked on routes at the indoor practice facility until 11:30 p.m. “He trusted us more and more as we got to know him,” Nabers said.

Whenever the players had time off, Daniels worked with his personal coaches. He went to Dallas during Mardi Gras for a session. He spent spring break back home in Southern California to train. He flew there again three times during the summer, including for a couple days at the end of July before preseason camp. Taylor Kelly came to Baton Rouge last week during the open date.

Daniels’ family lives an hour away from the 3DQB facility in Huntington Beach, California. He drove there early in the morning to throw and lift before heading back across Los Angeles by the early afternoon. At one point, he rented an Airbnb for a couple days to ease his commute.

Taylor Kelly, a former Arizona State quarterback himself, has worked with Daniels for a couple years. They started trying to make his throwing motion repeatable by applying ground force last offseason, and they continued the work this year. Daniels said he had to “use my lower half more and not rely so much on my arm.”

During sessions, Daniels had to throw hard on every rep, regardless of the route, so he understood how to control his body at maximum effort. Sometimes, he tossed weighted balls. Radar guns measured his velocity, and coaches would tell Daniels to hit 54 or 55 mph. They wanted to shrink his misses, having him aim for a logo instead of a shoulder, even under pressure.

“If it's third-and-8 and he has to be able to rip it in there,” Taylor Kelly said, “he knows exactly what his body's going to do, and he knows how to do it.”

In the past, Taylor Kelly had seen flashes of what Daniels could do but he lacked consistency. That changed this summer.

“Watch,” Taylor Kelly told a colleague. “He's going to have a Heisman year.”

•••

Jack Marucci thought there had to be a way to virtually simulate what quarterbacks experienced during games.

LSU’s director of performance innovation is always looking for insights, and as technology has progressed, he wanted to find a system that let players run through plays while seeing detailed copies of opposing stadiums, down to the location of play clocks.

Until recently, nothing on the market felt realistic enough for what Marucci envisioned. Then, LSU offensive analyst Terry Malone showed him an augmented virtual reality headset made by a German company called Cognilize.

“I've been dying to see something like this,” Marucci said. “This is perfect.”

The system used motion-capture technology to create realistic movements. Marucci said “it’s not robotic” like a video game. Instead, the headset immerses players in a virtual recreation. Marucci contacted the company. He offered LSU as the test site.

Once the system was available, Daniels tried it the week LSU played Mississippi State. Since then, he has put on the headset three times per week for an hour after practice to get extra reps against the next defense and familiarize himself with stadiums. Daniels moved to the indoor practice field after he almost ran into trash cans in the walk-through room.

There, Mario Macaluso, a performance innovation and analytics assistant, calls offensive plays LSU uploaded into the system. With goggles and a controller, Daniels reps them against defensive looks the upcoming team showed on film. He goes through them at a faster pace than in the games. After he hears the play, Daniels has 8 seconds to identify coverages and make his pre-snap reads. “The virtual reality that I do helps out a lot,” Daniels said.

Daniels paired the virtual-reality training with his film study. He got in the habit of waking up early when LSU had morning practices this spring, and he liked how much time he had to get things done. He could watch film without rushing himself, then go through the athletic training room before meetings and practice.

Every weekday this season, Daniels has come to the facility for his 5:30 a.m. film study. He often watches by himself on Monday, when LSU usually doesn’t practice. Other players come the rest of the week, depending on their schedules. Daniels feels “most proud of” how his teammates joined him at such an early hour.

“Last year, we weren't doing this at all,” Daniels said. “It showed. We were prepared, but when I decided to come back this year, I wanted to figure out ways I could take that next step and take my game to another level. Obviously, the receivers wanted to take their game to another level. It's something I started, and I invited them because we all need to be on the same page.”

Their extra time in the film room and on the practice field created chemistry and trust. Daniels and the receivers spent hours going through the route tree so they all knew exactly where to be on any given play against any coverage. The result has been an offense ranked in the top 3 nationally in passes over 20, 30 and 40 yards.

“Small windows that he's been throwing the ball in are just tremendous,” Nabers said. “When we come out of routes, the ball's already in the air.”

•••

In Week 4 against Arkansas, Daniels struggled for most of the first half, throwing a rare interception while LSU punted twice.

Between drives in the second quarter, Sloan pointed out Daniels' front leg was collapsing, causing him to lean forward. Daniels couldn’t plant his back foot correctly at the top of his drop. He fixed the mechanical flaw and finished with 320 yards passing and four touchdowns in the win.

“He's making those in-game adjustments,” Taylor Kelly said, “and that's pretty impressive to do in a game and still play at a very high level.”

Two weeks later, Daniels made his favorite throw of the season so far. It came at the end of the first half against Ole Miss. With LSU down 31-21, Daniels tossed a 29-yard touchdown to Kyren Lacy in man coverage, dropping a fade over his shoulder so well Daniels said the defensive back “didn't even know the ball was completed.” Running back Logan Diggs said that wasn’t even Daniels’ first read on the play.

“There's a time and a place for when you have your one-on-one matchups to the boundary that you just take it,” Diggs said. “But the majority of the time, Jayden is dissecting it and going through every single progression that he has. That's been the most impressive thing that I've seen from Jayden.

“You can tell he has experience, and his experience has really shown in the way that he plays, because it's easy to go out and just throw the ball. When you know what you're doing, who you're going to and where guys are going to be, I feel like it makes the job 10 times easier.”

These throws have continued throughout the season as Daniels has racked up 2,573 yards passing and 25 touchdowns, tied for the most in the nation, with only three interceptions.

Nabers loved the wide-open touchdown he caught at the end of the Missouri game, a 49-39 comeback win, because Daniels worked through his reads and threw on the run even though every movement hurt. Nabers then pointed out a dig against Auburn when Daniels scanned all the way across the field to get to him. And there was an 86-yard touchdown to Brian Thomas in LSU’s last game, a blowout of Army.

Daniels was supposed to read the field left to right, Diggs said, but pressure came off the right side, forcing him to step up in the pocket. Daniels rolled toward the right sideline while Thomas broke open downfield. Still on the run, Daniels squared his shoulders and flicked a pass almost 40 yards downfield. The ball landed in Thomas’ outstretched hands.

“This dude's in full control of what he's doing,” Taylor Kelly said.

Alabama will present the toughest challenge of the entire season. The Crimson Tide has allowed 197.6 yards passing per game. Their defensive backs may have the talent to match up with LSU’s wide receivers. The front has applied pressure at a constant rate, recording 28 sacks.

The good news is, Daniels feels more prepared than ever before. On Monday, LSU practiced after the open date. Daniels went to the indoor practice field afterward and pulled the virtual reality headset over his eyes again.

As Macaluso called plays, he saw himself inside Bryant-Denny Stadium, continuing to do the work that helped him transform.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumb down 1

23 hours ago, mistertim said:

His really really poor rate of throwing outside of the pocket when pressured is a bad sign. In that stat he was ranked 193 out of 196 prospects since 2018. So usually when he faces pressure his eyes come down and he runs instead of buying time, keeping his eyes downfield, and finding an open receiver (VoR mentioned this in his play by play breakdown of a Daniels game...and also noted that when pressured he also just flat out misses wide open guys).

Now, to be fair, a lot of the time those "lower his eyes and run" wind up in good chunk yards. But that sort of thing is not a recipe for success as a long term NFL starter, especially at his frail size. Statistically it will end up with him getting injured. Usually NFL coaches want guys who can scramble, escape pressure, keep their eyes downfield and get the ball to an open guy. And if there's nobody open, then run.

Earlier someone posted the Maye/McCarthy ourlads tape. Surprised (or maybe I just missed it) I haven't seen more talk about that. Or no discussion of McCarthy's pro day (which was Friday, right?)

15 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I feel like Daniels or Maye would be justifiable picks and each guy will come with their strengths & weaknesses. Both will need to be developed in different areas and it is still going to be very dependent on getting that roster built around them in order to expect early success.

Selecting Jayden Daniel's would greatly impact the run game and offensive line performance from day one. The prospect of achieving a great to elite run game coupled with a high rate of favorable passing situations for the offensive line presents an enticing opportunity that's difficult to overlook.

15 hours ago, MartinC said:

You are talking like Maye is a pocket passer who is a statue. He’s very mobile and a good runner. He had almost 700 yards rushing in 2022 and 425 yards in 2023. Ton of rushing TDs as well. He’s not as fast as Daniel’s but he’s very mobile.

Honestly, I might be underestimating this aspect of Maye’s game, but it's primarily because of the comparison constraints between him and Daniels. While I don't have any particular dislike for Maye, his struggle with accuracy is a significant concern, especially considering the importance of precision for a quarterback. It's a challenging trait to be patient with unless the player possesses exceptional athleticism at the position. Take Justin Herbert, a highly regarded young quarterback, who despite his talent, has a losing NFL record four years into his career, largely due to accuracy issues.

Maye's knack for extending plays enhances his potential to make an immediate impact on wins early in his rookie contract while he continues to develop, and that's something I truly appreciate.

I'm fortunate to be in a position where I trust the front office's decision-making, and I'll support whatever choice they make.

15 hours ago, MartinC said:

As for calling Williams not much of a rushing QB - have you actually watched him play? He tends to break the pocket and look to throw, but when he does run he’s a very very good runner.

I'm solely referring to rushing yards here. While he's undeniably a supremely gifted runner, he often opts to pursue big plays downfield instead of taking a 6-yard rush. I anticipate his rushing yards to significantly increase in the NFL because of the premium placed on these yards and his willingness to do whatever it takes to establish a solid baseline level of play early on. All about getting to second contract for him. 

4 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

I am trying to think of a supreme QB athlete who has won a S.B. and that is the goal. I can think of many processors that are not super athletes. Brady, Stratford, Mahomes, Manning's, Foles, Rogers, Roethlisberger........ No winners that I can find?  He does not have to be a super athlete for me, and does not have to be a super runner. A RB has a short life in the NFL, why draft a hybird RB/QB? His career is going to be shorter most likely if you use him that way. 

The era of offenses being tailored around supreme athletes at quarterback has only just begun, and it's an exciting prospect to imagine. While Super Bowls may not be the perfect metric in my opinion, I understand their significance. I'm rooting for one of these elite athletes at the position to secure a Super Bowl victory and continue to broaden the horizons and possibilities for others. Twenty years from now, it's conceivable that most starting quarterbacks will boast 4.4 to 4.6 speed, but there will always be individuals like Jokic and Doncic who defy the athletic norms, providing hope to average athletes and armchair quarterbacks alike that their sons and grandsons could also make it to the NFL or NBA. However, the majority will likely emulate players such as Giannis, Anthony Edwards, Ja Morant, LeBron James, Russell Westbrook, and so on. NBA is ahead of the NFL in most things. 

4 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

But it is the goal everybody is shooting for, we want trophy's in the case. What type QB gets you there is the point? I could careless about the Super Athelete QB. Give me one that is a good athlete that can do all the other things. 

I couldn't care less about multiple Super Bowls; that's a fantasy world, and the likelihood of winning multiple championships is extremely slim. What I desire is sustained success and playoff appearances for a decade, allowing the chips to fall where they may in the postseason. This is the goal that the best organizations strive for, and indirectly, Super Bowl opportunities may arise from this sustained excellence.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's a passing league!

Drafts a QB who primary weapon is to run.

Talk about obtuse. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

Have I posted my rectal cavity? i really don't think this is an appropriate thing for this forum.

Appropriate no, but fitting. 💩 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mac8887 said:

This is pretty detailed and shows some of Mayes highs and lows. 

The same guy took a fat dump on JJ McCarthy

Here is where I have been for a while.

1. We are taking a QB at #2 overall. You listen to trade back options - but it’s really just noise. 
2. We wont have the option of Williams - he’s going first overall.

3. The choice is Maye or Daniel’s. Other QBs picked later might end up being better pros - but these two have the highest ceiling after Williams.

4. No prospect is perfect, they all have flaws. It comes down to how you view what they can do in terms of fit to your scheme and how coachable the flaws are. For me it’s an easier projection that Mayes footwork and related accuracy issues can be coached than Daniel’s can be coached to attack the middle of the field, handle pressure, keep his eyes up when he breaks the pocket and use his arm to make plays out of structure not just his legs.

I’d take Maye. What I think doesn’t matter and I will support whoever they choose. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Here is where I have been for a while.

1. We are taking a QB at #2 overall. You listen to trade back options - but it’s really just noise. 
2. We wont have the option of Williams - he’s going first overall.

3. The choice is Maye or Daniel’s. Other QBs picked later might end up being better pros - but these two have the highest ceiling after Williams.

4. No prospect is perfect, they all have flaws. It comes down to how you view what they can do in terms of fit to your scheme and how coachable the flaws are. For me it’s an easier projection that Mayes footwork issues can be coached than Daniel’s can be coached to attack the middle of the field, handle pressure, keep his eyes up when he breaks the pocket and use his arm to make plays out of structure not just his legs.

I’d take Maye. What I think doesn’t matter and I will support whoever they choose. 

I'm no expert on talent evaluation but my gut agrees with your take. I think Maye just looks the part (I like Daniel's production but at the end of the day, his build and lack of passes in the middle of the field are too much for me).

• Like 3

Washington is not gonna draft Daniels..the guy is almost 24 years old and is more than likely will weigh in at 200lbs if he is lucky..huge red flag with him not getting weighed or measured.