Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Trade down is great clickbait tho.

If you say there's a debate among Commanders staff over Maye vs. Daniels, you get WAS, NE, and maybe other NFC east fanbases interested.

But if you start mocking up trades you can get a lot more fanbases to click your stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

Curious as to why they retained Mayhew. 

He's an experienced GM who can help Peters with the transition. They worked well together in San Fran. He can also help take some other duties off his plate or show him the ropes a bit(things like contracts, salary cap stuff etc.). 

And ultimately I don't think Mayhew the complete nincompoot that others do. He's clearly pretty well respected and if we let him go after the draft, he'll probably find a job somewhere else.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

Peter King thinks we are going to move up for Caleb and that Chicago is open for business. Peter is also retiring. Good riddance to the guy that kept Art Monk out of the HOF for those years.

• I suppose the Bears are going to trade the top pick. I know nothing, but that seems to be the way the wind is blowing. What I say: The Bears could keep Justin Fields (and should), and trade the first pick down once or twice, and build the kind of supporting cast a team needs to contend. Suppose GM Ryan Poles traded the top pick down one spot to Washington (which would take Caleb Williams), and got the second pick, a second-round pick and a 2025 first-round pick in return. Then suppose Poles traded the second pick to Atlanta at eight, and the Falcons picked one of the other quarterbacks. In return, Chicago gets the eighth pick, Atlanta’s second-round pick, and first- and second-round picks next year. Imagine moving from 1 to 8 and ending up with this draft haul:
    • The eighth and ninth (their own) overall picks in round one this year.
    • Second-round picks from Washington and Atlanta this year.
    • Three first-round picks and two second-round picks in 2025.

For moving down seven picks in the first round, the Bears could end up with nine picks in the first two rounds of the next two drafts. Instant infrastructure.

It's just kind of an amazing coincidence that Peter King, who has been saying for weeks on end that he thinks the Bears should keep Justin Fields and trade the first pick, is now reporting that he "believes" the Bears will do just that, at a time when everyone else seems to have come to the conclusion that they are deciding to do the opposite. 

Curious. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its amazing how King says so much yet at the same time says absolutely nothing there. 

Basically the story of his career.

Peter King: tell me you don’t watch football without telling me. 

30 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

It's just kind of an amazing coincidence that Peter King, who has been saying for weeks on end that he thinks the Bears should keep Justin Fields and trade the first pick, is now reporting that he "believes" the Bears will do just that, at a time when everyone else seems to have come to the conclusion that they are deciding to do the opposite. 

Curious. 

Tom Waddle, who covers the Bears, said two weeks ago that Fields is good as gone in Chicago...we'll see. I think the Bears would be wise not to trade Bears too soon as opposed to waiting but Waddle thought they'd trade him sooner than later to not get stuck holding onto him. 

32 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Curious. 

Exactly, I was going to get to posting the same point.    Also, King's days of being plugged in are long gone.

Keim among others said among his conversations among national and Bear sources -- the Bears aren't trading the pick.

But for those holding out on this, we should know after the combine.  I doubt the Fields saga lasts too long one way or another after that

I don't think Fields is the problem in Chicago...you want to talk about howell getting dealt a ****ty hand how bout this guy who's had to go through multiple coaches/systems in such a short time frame, a ****ty o-line, and limited weapons until moore arrived. Despite that, he's shown real flashes in his ability, e.g. saying **** it and running free in the back half of that 2022 season. The bears are just an inept poorly run organization that won't step back and realize they've been the problem with his development and instead put all the blame on him. They should hold onto him and take MHJ and other pieces to build around him but instead will go for the flashy quick fix in williams

It's a shame because the way that team is run, williams will fail in that system as well and they'll be left scratching their heads like idiots all over again

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Exactly, I was going to get to posting the same point.    Also, King's days of being plugged in are long gone.

Keim among others said among his conversations among national and Bear sources -- the Bears aren't trading the pick.

But for those holding out on this, we should know after the combine.  I doubt the Fields saga lasts too long one way or another after that

I don’t think going the Eli/Elway route is off the table particularly since he doesn’t have an agent. He has a lot of leverage and will probably try to use it. 

5 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Bloody Hell at this rate we’ll be bringing Russ Wilson in and trading back 😂

This is almost where I’m wanting us to go now if Caleb Williams is of the board. I’ve been watching a lot off JJ McCarthy recently, and the more I watch, the more I get excited about him. He makes every through, has good arm strength that will improve with an nfl strength program, and he doesn’t look to be done growing. He is so smooth in his movement and really looks a lot like Jordan love with good mechanics, in how he plays. Add the fact that he has been coached 3 years in a prostyle offense by one of the best head coaches in the world.

Russ will be had on the very cheap, probably extremely motivated, and willing to do whatever is asked for the fact his next team will be his last if he isn’t a team player, and even in a very difficult division last year, they did have a big winning streak, and were competing for a playoff spot until the very end. Russ could come into the NFC east and could easily be the second best qb l behind Dak if hurts and the eagles don’t figure things out and stay stuck in the rut they ended the year in. He went for 26 tds to 8 ints with a 98 rtg last year, and in a weak NFC, he could at least have a team competing for a wildcard, I mean he did so last year in a much tougher conference.

If we were able to pocket 2 additional 1st rounders while still landing JJ McCarthy, they would at least have to consider it. But that is a lot of ifs though. 

• Thumb down 2

7 minutes ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

I don't think Fields is the problem in Chicago...you want to talk about howell getting dealt a ****ty hand how bout this guy who's had to go through multiple coaches/systems in such a short time frame, a ****ty o-line, and limited weapons until moore arrived. Despite that, he's shown real flashes in his ability, e.g. saying **** it and running free in the back half of that 2022 season. The bears are just an inept poorly run organization that won't step back and realize they've been the problem with his development and instead put all the blame on him. They should hold onto him and take MHJ and other pieces to build around him but instead will go for the flashy quick fix in williams

It's a shame because the way that team is run, williams will fail in that system as well and they'll be left scratching their heads like idiots all over again

I don’t always buy the “he had to learn x amount of offensive systems so it’s not his fault”, especially if it’s all under the same head coach. While I agree the situation has been messed up for him there, you can just as easily point the blame at his lack of performance for the turnover. That whole scapegoat mentality is used often for young QBs and the truth is they are who they are.

Edited by mh86

6 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

I don’t think going the Eli/Elway route is off the table particularly since he doesn’t have an agent. He has a lot of leverage and will probably try to use it. 

People around him have said multiple times he won't do an Eli.   But will see.

Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 7.40.48 PM.png

20 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

has good arm strength that will improve with an nfl strength program, and he doesn’t look to be done growing.

There are things you can reasonably expect may improve with nfl training and time but these two are just wild guesses. 

12 minutes ago, redskinss said:

There are things you can reasonably expect may improve with nfl training and time but these two are just wild guesses. 

Actually this one IMO is wildly incorrect. Arm strength rarely improves much from college to the NFL. The majority of pure arm strength is just inherent in the person and is genetic. It's the way their body is built and the kind of torque they can generate. Sure, you can do some things to try and maximize and get to your natural ceiling, but your natural ceiling is still going to be your ceiling and by the time you're done with college ball, you're probably almost there anyway.

It's sort of like a vertical leap. Someone who has a natural 30 inch vertical can be trained up to get it to 31 or 32 inches, but they'll never be a 40 inch vertical guy.

The idea that a guy is going to come into the NFL and suddenly improve his arm strength in any meaningful way with some magical strength program is a pipe dream.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Starts about 20 minutes in.

Listening now, one notable thing mentioned so far, he's working with Philip Rivers.

He talked about teams he might land at and mentioned us, including our former name, couple times.  Mentioned Gibbs, apparently played with some grandkids and met Coach Gibbs.

Been dating his gf for 7 years too, so guy knows a thing or two about commitment.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mh86 said:

I don’t always buy the “he had to learn x amount of offensive systems so it’s not his fault”, especially if it’s all under the same head coach. While I agree the situation has been messed up for him there, you can just as easily point the blame at his lack of performance for the turnover. That whole scapegoat mentality is used often for young QBs and the truth is they are who they are.

The bears can’t develop QBs, they set him up to fail from day one. Anyone hating on fields, I can’t wait to see him on a different team before writing him off…watch him explode on a team like the falcons and the bears execs will feel like jackasses. If we didnt have the #2 pick i wouldnt immediately write off going after him ourselves

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Actually this one IMO is wildly incorrect. Arm strength rarely improves much from college to the NFL. The majority of pure arm strength is just inherent in the person and is genetic. It's the way their body is built and the kind of torque they can generate. Sure, you can do some things to try and maximize and get to your natural ceiling, but your natural ceiling is still going to be your ceiling and by the time you're done with college ball, you're probably almost there anyway.

It's sort of like a vertical leap. Someone who has a natural 30 inch vertical can be trained up to get it to 31 or 32 inches, but they'll never be a 40 inch vertical guy.

The idea that a guy is going to come into the NFL and suddenly improve his arm strength in any meaningful way with some magical strength program is a pipe dream.

magical strength program

image.thumb.jpeg.ccdc0e4ab6c7facbf86d248c50ddbb03.jpeg

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

The bears can’t develop QBs, they set him up to fail from day one. Anyone hating on fields, I can’t wait to see him on a different team before writing him off…watch him explode on a team like the falcons and the bears execs will feel like jackasses. If we didnt have the #2 pick i wouldnt immediately write off going after him ourselves

People said the exact same stuff about Trubisky. He's super talented. The Bears just did him wrong and don't know how to develop QBs.

No, he just sucks. And Fields just isn't a very good QB.

Just now, mistertim said:

People said the exact same stuff about Trubisky. He's super talented. The Bears just did him wrong and don't know how to develop QBs.

No, he just sucks. And Fields just isn't a very good QB.

And every other failed QB prospect. Sure, it works for some that were already mildly successful, but rarely. I agree, I’ve seen quite a few bears games and fields is meh.