Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I think it would be more than okay to do it. I'm just not convinced that Harris or anyone else is. I think they think they need to be hands off on coaching decisions. 

I’m with you. No one is telling Ron what to do, and if they are we should be concerned. Turning to Brissett in the first place was a miscue. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

Justin Fields should be in the misses

Too early.

Seems like Justin Fields is really finding his groove in the latter half of the season, according to reports. Snagging him as a buy-low option could be smart, especially if he’s matched with a run-savvy OC like Greg Roman. But hey, I’d rather go for a QB with five solid years of control and a budget-friendly deal, especially if they’re a super athletic option.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This is so true, but also sad because Ron’s offseasons are generally boring.

Another issue with Ron’s teams is they are so incredibly boring in-season, and it’s not just the losing.  His inability to get a QB, hiding Heinicke, the slow starts to every season and this year particularly just a pathetic defense that can’t stop anyone.  It’s just been dreadful to watch on Sundays and never a threat to even pretend things would be looking up as the season went along.

Losing always sucks but at least give me something to watch that only pisses me off at the end as opposed to the whole 3 hours.

Agree.

I try to sell myself on the off seasons typically especially if they sign a player or draft one i like.

With Ron specifically I didn't find his off seasons exciting or hope filled in a vaccum.  I'd even defended them along with @Koolblue13 among others saying, yeah its not there yet, but it felt like he was building up to a more aggressive off season in year 4 and we need to be patient with him.

When this off season (off season 4) came off like a dud, we completely bailed on Ron.  We learned he wasn't building up to any crescendo but instead this is how Ron operates -- and he not only didn't he jack it up this off season but took it down a notch from his previous ho hum off seasons.   

I didn't have an any excitement about this season based on Ron's off season.  And it also made them at that juncture look collectively "meh". So I turned hard against Ron. I expected a losing season but granted not this level bad.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

11 hours ago, wit33 said:

I might have come on a bit too strong there, I'll admit. Truth is, I don't know a whole lot about the other two, aside from catching glimpses of their 10-15 minutes of highlights. Personally, I always tend to favor the exceptional athlete at the QB position, especially those with a first-round type grade—those guys don't often turn out to be busts.

In my observation, the success rate of supremely athletic dual-threat quarterbacks in the first and second rounds seems higher compared to others. I don't have specific stats to back this, but that's just been my general impression over the last 10-15 years or so.

There's a silver lining in knowing you can build an elite running game. Although, I have to admit, this aspect seems to be losing some value as the league trends towards greater athleticism at the quarterback position.

Hits

Cam Newton

Lamar Jackson

Josh Allen

Jalen Hurts

Kyler Murray

Deshaun Watson

Misses

Mariota

Tebow

RG3

We've debated some issues.  But on this one I've been on the same page.  I love the mobile QB. 

I know some partly because of RG3 slam the idea.  But heck even with RG3 that was our one season of relevance and prosperity,  He was his own Shakesperian character contributor to his own demise.  It was a weird and unique crash and burn.

I'd be jazzed about Jayden Daniels.  I started pushing the idea a few weeks ago, and it wasn't so well received then on this thread. 

In short, he is still a bit riskier than the other 2 QBs because he does have that RG3 build and the propensity like him not to protect himself but he's not as flagrant on that front as RG3.  And like RG3 his greatest passing asset is the deep ball and even throws it in a similar flick of the wrist way as him.  I'd say RG3's arm was stronger.  RG3 is a tad faster I'd guess.  Burt Jayden IMO is the bettter runner becasue he's more elusive both in the pocket and in open field. 

As a passer, he's a bit of a hard guess because on the first-2nd level he likes to throw to open receivers versus throwing with anticipation and or throwing contested catches.  And his receivers (Nabers, Thomas, Lacy) were killer good. In the NFL he'd need to adapt his play some on the count.  I'd kill to get one of his receivers -- Thomas in the 2nd round if he's there if they took Daniels in the first.

But in general I am on board the mobile QB train.  The RG3 experience hasn't poisoned me from that.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

I’m with you. No one is telling Ron what to do, and if they are we should be concerned. Turning to Brissett in the first place was a miscue. 

Generally I agree.  But for example the Eagles appeared to do it when their HC ironically was coaching his last game and was poised to be fired.  And that was a coach that Lurrie hired and won a SB for him.  So you aren't underming your coach, you are undermining a coach you are already displeased with and its about to be canned.

In this case, Harris didn't hire him and Rivera has IMO did a crap job let alone win a SB here.  I wouldn't hate it if Harris at least gave him a nod that it would be nice to have the third pick in the draft.  And then Rivera could decide whether he obliges or not with some shifts in the roster that day.

I admit I am a bit emotional about this.    If I was in Harris shoes I'd see Ron a a dude who did all he could to derail the fan momentum that was derived from the sale via his lackluster off season and half ass coaching this year.  And to add big time insult to injury he made a series of off putting and arrogant statements during the off season about himself and the previous owner.

So my loyalty to help Ron finish his coaching career above 500 would be less than zero.   i wouldn't be inclined to let Ron give us the parting gift which he is killing to do for likely multiple reasons and that is to take us out of range to get a QB early.

Ron's legacy this season seemed to be set on these 3 things judging by beat reporters and Ron's own statements.

A.  I gave you a great defense

B.  I found you your franchise QB

C.  I give you your future HC -- Bieniemy.

So maybe I'll get fired after going 8-8.  But next season when HC Bieniemy, coupled with Howell and your top 3 defense wins a SB -- send me my SB ring because its with my roster and my guys.

Now, granted all of this feels like a cruel joke now.   But it would be devastating for Rivera for the Howell component of this to crash.  That was the last vistage of this master plan that he's been hanging on this season until lately. 

I have not thrown in the towell on Howell but it would feel meh to me if they didn't come out of this draft with a QB especially considering how tantalizing close we are right now to be in good draft position to do it.  For multiple reasons Rivera would love to crash that party.  In Harris shoes that would bug me.  But if I believed in karma, which I do to some extent, Ron won't get what he wants regardless of his intentions. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Generally I agree.  But for example the Eagles appeared to do it when their HC ironically was coaching his last game and was poised to be fired.  And that was a coach that Lurrie hired and won a SB for him.  So you aren't underming your coach, you are undermining a coach you are already displeased with and its about to be canned.

In this case, Harris didn't hire him and Rivera has IMO did a crap job let alone win a SB here.  I wouldn't hate it if Harris at least gave him a nod that it would be nice to have the third pick in the draft.  And then Rivera could decide whether he obliges or not with some shifts in the roster that day.

I admit I am a bit emotional about this.    If I was in Harris shoes I'd see Ron a a dude who did all he could to derail the fan momentum that was derived from the sale via his lackluster off season and half ass coaching this year.  And to add big time insult to injury he made a series off off putting and arrogant statements during the off season about himself and the previous owner.

So my loyalty to help Ron finish his coaching career above 500 would be less than zero.   i wouldn't be inclined to let Ron give us the parting gift which he is killing to do for likely multiple reasons and that is to take us out of range to get a QB early.

Ron's legacy this season seemed to be set on these 3 things judging by beat reporters and Ron's own statements.

A.  I gave you a great defense

B.  I found you your franchise QB

C.  I give you your future HC -- Bieniemy.

So maybe I'll get fired after going 8-8.  But next season when HC Bieniemy, coupled with Howell and your top 3 defense wins a SB -- send me my SB ring because its with my roster and my guys.

Now, granted all of this feels like a cruel joke now.   But it would be devastating for Rivera for the Howell component of this to crash.  That was the last vestiage of this master plan that he's been hanging on this season until lately. 

I have not thrown in the towell on Howell but it would feel meh to me if they didn't come out of this draft with a QB especially considering how tantalizing close we are right now to be in good draft position to do it.  For multiple reasons Rivera would love to crash that party.  In Harris shoes that would bug me.  But if I believed in karma, which I do to some extent, Ron won't get what he wants regardless of his intentions. 

Man, I am feeling like Ron's last vestige is going to be Brissett looking decent regardless of the team injuries and showing EB can call a good game. I do not believe that will occur but I don't see what else he can hang his hat on other than that and having the defense play well since he is focused so much on that. 

I am with you regarding fully diminished loyalty to anything Ron. I lost my respect for him this season and Id imagine many others did too.

This feel brings me back to the day Ron was announced as being hired by Washington. I received messages from two good friends that are Panther fans. They both were sending me their condolences, saying he will do just enough to eep his job each year. They were pretty spot on. 

• Like 4

If we're deciding to ritually sacrifice Sam Howell, can we at least hand it off 3 times and punt?  I'm all for losing but I don't especially want to watch the guy fight hard just to end up with a concussion or worse...

Edited by Bifflog
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

Is this a news story this week?

"Obviously I want to be out there with the guys, but I also understand this is a business deal,” Heinicke Howell said. “We want to see what Sam's Jake’s got. We've seen it all year in practice, in training camp, preseason. The guy can ball. We're all excited for him."

• Haha 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Bifflog said:

If we're deciding to ritually sacrifice Sam Howell, can we at least hand it off 3 times and punt?  I'm all for losing but I don't especially want to watch the guy fight hard just to end up with a concussion or worse...

you know my dad said he thought Howell had a concussion that had been missed.  Like he saw an interview with him and he had dancing eyes

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, wit33 said:

Too early.

Seems like Justin Fields is really finding his groove in the latter half of the season, according to reports. Snagging him as a buy-low option could be smart, especially if he’s matched with a run-savvy OC like Greg Roman. But hey, I’d rather go for a QB with five solid years of control and a budget-friendly deal, especially if they’re a super athletic option.

I saw an article on Fields that compares his career trend to that of Josh Allens and his numbers are slightly ahead of where Allen was after 3 years. The Bears have a big, big decision to make on Fields 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I saw an article on Fields that compares his career trend to that of Josh Allens and his numbers are slightly ahead of where Allen was after 3 years. The Bears have a big, big decision to make on Fields 

By all accounts that decision is made. They are moving on.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

I don't usually pull for Dallas but I am tonight.  They lose they have less incentive to play for next weekend.  I want their staters playing for 60 minutes.  

If Dallas loses tonight they may have to play to beat us just because they're on a 2 game losing streak and need to find some momentum on offense. Right now they have just 7 points thru almost 3 qtrs and their TD was on a fluke 92 yard busted coverage Lamb TD catch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

By all accounts that decision is made. They are moving on.

I don't doubt you but I'm seeing where several of their players are lobbying for his return next season. In the end though I think they're gonna get some very enticing offers for him which will force their hand potentially. If Fields is that well liked in the locker room the Bears had better nail his replacement because he could move on to make them look bad if they don't. 

6 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

If Dallas loses tonight they may have to play to beat us just because they're on a 2 game losing streak and need to find some momentum on offense. Right now they have just 7 points thru almost 3 qtrs and their TD was on a fluke 92 yard busted coverage Lamb TD catch.

They’ll keep starters in for a half, build a 21-3 lead, then start resting guys

• Like 1