Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, CapsSkins said:

In this case, there is genuine excitement about the rebirth of the franchise starting January 8. It will be a helluva ride - a new FO, new coaching staff, exciting FA and draft period, and a potential rebrand to boot.

The Dan Snyder Era is officially over in 10 days. 

That involves sentiments and thinking  completely separate from missing seeing that years team play.

One stands totally independent of the other.

I'll be very invested in this off season, much moreso than lately as we all will obviously be, but I still won't miss watching the current manifestation of the on-the -field product anymore than the vast majority of previous years of snyder-rama.

Actually, off season has been the better time as a fan for years. You fig for and nurture hope because the clear and constant refutation of hope that comes from actually watching the team play is halted for awhile.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 5

54 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Actually, off season has been the better time as a fan for years. You fig for and nurture hope because the clear and constant refutation of hope that comes from actually watching the team play is halted for awhile.

This is so true, but also sad because Ron’s offseasons are generally boring.

Another issue with Ron’s teams is they are so incredibly boring in-season, and it’s not just the losing.  His inability to get a QB, hiding Heinicke, the slow starts to every season and this year particularly just a pathetic defense that can’t stop anyone.  It’s just been dreadful to watch on Sundays and never a threat to even pretend things would be looking up as the season went along.

Losing always sucks but at least give me something to watch that only pisses me off at the end as opposed to the whole 3 hours.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Honestly, Forbes is getting a pick 6, I can see it.

Nah, I don’t think so lol. Say what you will about Purdy’s physical tools but he really only gets fooled by excellent scheming meant to confuse him and excellent pressure, which is what the Ravens did to him last week. He’ll likely be flawless against a lame Rivera D that can’t generate pressure. Especially because they’ll be eating us alive in the run game at will. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

33 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This is so true, but also sad because Ron’s offseasons are generally boring.

Another issue with Ron’s teams is they are so incredibly boring in-season, and it’s not just the losing.  His inability to get a QB, hiding Heinicke, the slow starts to every season and this year particularly just a pathetic defense that can’t stop anyone.  It’s just been dreadful to watch on Sundays and never a threat to even pretend things would be looking up as the season went along.

Losing always sucks but at least give me something to watch that only pisses me off at the end as opposed to the whole 3 hours.

What I've done is let myself get really excited and cheer everytime the team makes an awful play, and still cheer the good plays to.

I've taught myself how to get excited getting burnt for 50yd tds, and throwing pick 6s.

I had a ball on the crowder fumble, saying stuff like " oh yeah that's redskins football" like it was a good play. And then once the excitement settles down I'll start cussing them

Edited by mac8887

On 12/28/2023 at 5:33 PM, KDawg said:

I don't think Daniels is the safer route, personally.

I think Maye is safest. Has the size, speed, athleticism. Traits wise he is by far the most NFL-like of the primary three QBs. But his ceiling just isn't as high as Williams or Daniels.

Daniels is actually probably the biggest boom/bust of the three. He could be an absolute disaster. Or Lamar redux.

Williams is probably not going to ever suck. But I'm not sold on him being the stud that many thought he'd be (hence the overrated tag by me). 

I might have come on a bit too strong there, I'll admit. Truth is, I don't know a whole lot about the other two, aside from catching glimpses of their 10-15 minutes of highlights. Personally, I always tend to favor the exceptional athlete at the QB position, especially those with a first-round type grade—those guys don't often turn out to be busts.

In my observation, the success rate of supremely athletic dual-threat quarterbacks in the first and second rounds seems higher compared to others. I don't have specific stats to back this, but that's just been my general impression over the last 10-15 years or so.

There's a silver lining in knowing you can build an elite running game. Although, I have to admit, this aspect seems to be losing some value as the league trends towards greater athleticism at the quarterback position.

Hits

Cam Newton

Lamar Jackson

Josh Allen

Jalen Hurts

Kyler Murray

Deshaun Watson

Misses

Mariota

Tebow

RG3

Edited by wit33

I see the jokes about Brissett's questionable status being a Josh Harris thing, but what if it's actually Brissett deciding he doesn't get paid enough to be smoked for the sake of Rivera's ego? Brissett put out some good tape the past couple of games, and wants more good tape for wherever his journey leads to. The 49ers will not give him good tape.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

8 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I see the jokes about Brissett's questionable status being a Josh Harris thing, but what if it's actually Brissett deciding he doesn't get paid enough to be smoked for the sake of Rivera's ego? Brissett put out some good tape the past couple of games, and wants more good tape for wherever his journey leads to. The 49ers will not give him good tape.

That is good take. I was thinking similar to these lines as well. Kinda like what Taylor did last year. Didn't want to get hurt in a meaningless game and wanted his value to be more as a healthy player instead. 

13 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Or, you know, he hurt his hamstring. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, zCommander said:

That is good take. I was thinking similar to these lines as well. Kinda like what Taylor did last year. Didn't want to get hurt in a meaningless game and wanted his value to be more as a healthy player instead. 

So Brissett is entering the transfer portal.....good business decision by him and his agent. 

• Haha 1

Take it as you will but there are some that think the owner is puppeting RR to some extent to have us lose out so we can pick higher.  Again, take it as you will.  I have no idea other than RR is not HC material.  Good guy, Yes.  HC, No.  

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Take it as you will but there are some that think the owner is puppeting RR to some extent to have us lose out so we can pick higher.  Again, take it as you will.  I have no idea other than RR is not HC material.  Good guy, Yes.  HC, No.  

I agree I think Ron is being told what to do to an extent. I used to really like Rivera a lot, but always had issues with him as a HC.  And him playing his hand at GM has been detrimental to the team.  I also started to realize that he may have seen JDR and Turner and, maybe even EB as extensions of himself, because he chose them. This may have been why it was difficult for him to cut ties earlier or step in and make changes or demand changes occur. And of course, we all know about the "send me my SB ring" comment. I think his ego is bigger than I initially thought. And I am frankly annoyed at the mess he is leaving the team in on his way outside the door.

On another note, really like your draft pics for 2024 - Daniels, Cooper and Cade Stover especially.  It is going to be finally a fun offseason. 

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think it’s more than fair to direct Ron on what’s best for the franchise moving forward.  

He has an innate ability to always do the wrong thing.  There is no reason to let him continue to do it.

I think it would be more than okay to do it. I'm just not convinced that Harris or anyone else is. I think they think they need to be hands off on coaching decisions. 

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Idk.  I think Brissett would (correctly IMO) assume people will grade him on a steep curve this game given the talent disparity between the Commanders and 49ers.  

If anything, I would see the risk-reward opportunity skewed heavily toward the reward side for him.  I think he’ll get a ton of props even if he just has a competent game. 

Edited by HTTRDynasty

Even with the depleted secondary I expect Shanahan to come out of the gates running the ball and establishing a rhythm and lead on the scoreboard, and once they feel comfortable that is when they will go for the demoralization with the passing game.  Kyle has come a long way in game-planning since a lot of our fanbase has paid attention to him.

With the game Purdy had against the Ravens I don't think Kyle wants to do anything to further shake the kid's confidence with the playoffs coming in under a month. Not that our defense is the one to rattle him in any way, but with young inexperienced QBs you never know from week to week what D-coordinators might be able to pick up on film to attack. 

Edited by NoCalMike

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

I might have come on a bit too strong there, I'll admit. Truth is, I don't know a whole lot about the other two, aside from catching glimpses of their 10-15 minutes of highlights. Personally, I always tend to favor the exceptional athlete at the QB position, especially those with a first-round type grade—those guys don't often turn out to be busts.

In my observation, the success rate of supremely athletic dual-threat quarterbacks in the first and second rounds seems higher compared to others. I don't have specific stats to back this, but that's just been my general impression over the last 10-15 years or so.

There's a silver lining in knowing you can build an elite running game. Although, I have to admit, this aspect seems to be losing some value as the league trends towards greater athleticism at the quarterback position.

Hits

Cam Newton

Lamar Jackson

Josh Allen

Jalen Hurts

Kyler Murray

Deshaun Watson

Misses

Mariota

Tebow

RG3

Justin Fields should be in the misses

30 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Even with the depleted secondary I expect Shanahan to come out of the gates running the ball and establishing a rhythm and lead on the scoreboard, and once they feel comfortable that is when they will go for the demoralization with the passing game.  Kyle has come a long way in game-planning since a lot of our fanbase has paid attention to him.

he was a great OC with the Texans, then here, and a great OC (minus maybe 3 plays) in Atlanta.  He’s been one of the best offensive minds for about 15 years.  

30 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

With the game Purdy had against the Ravens I don't think Kyle wants to do anything to further shake the kid's confidence with the playoffs coming in under a month. Not that our defense is the one to rattle him in any way, but with young inexperienced QBs you never know from week to week what D-coordinators might be able to pick up on film to attack. 

Our DC is Ron.  

I doubt Ron’s going to pick up on anything useful.  

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Right.

But Rivera sold it weird, talking about he got the call at night.  You don’t get a hammy in the middle of the night.  Opened it up to speculation.

He always has to make **** weird, I’ll never understand it. 

All he had to say was “he came into the facility this morning feeling tight” or “after practice yesterday his hammy started feeling tight” but he can never just do that. He has to say some weird **** and overly explain what he’s saying, opening further questions. He’s a total knob, and oblivious to it. There’s probably not a single person in the org chart right now who even talks to him about his presser performances. I bet he has no idea the chaos he causes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1